CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
[FONT=&amp]@Brian_Rokos: The Public Defender will represent David Turpin; outside attorney will rep Louise Turpin in Perris torture case.
Huh???:thinking:​
[/FONT]

Thats standard in co-defendant cases. There is a conflict of interest as both could blame the other or say they have different levels of culpability. So the county appoints an alternate defender.

That's what my law partner does in LA county.

Brian Rokos
‏
Verified account

@Brian_Rokos
49s
More
Public defender requested media be banned from Perris torture case arraignment. Judge Michael B. Donner denied the request.

Expect a 'tainted jury pool' claim to be made by defense attorney when this goes to trial.

Less than 12 hours before they were arrested, David Turpin, 57, and Louise Turpin, 49, told friends they were 'getting ready to leave town'.
A source said: "I saw them about 7 or 8pm on Saturday. “They said they needed to say 'goodbye' because they were getting ready to leave town.”
“They didn't say where or when they were going.” “I couldn't believe it when I saw their pictures on the TV two nights later."

~snip

Another source said: "It raises the question of whether the Turpins were saying 'goodbye' for another city, or whether they were plotting to end their lives entirely."

The Riverside County Sheriff's Department declined to comment when asked by the Mirror if a murder-suicide plot is a line of inquiry.
~snip
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/revealed-turpins-said-goodbyes-just-11870542

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

“They were just like any ordinary family,” said Betty Turpin, the 81-year-old mother of David Turpin. “And they had such good relationships. I’m not just saying this stuff. These kids — we were amazed. They were ‘sweetie’ this and ‘sweetie’ that to each other.”

Betty Turpin told another outlet her son told her he had so many kids because God wanted him to, and that he shared her Pentecostal Christian faith but was not affiliated with a church in California.
“I feel they were model Christians,” she told the Southern California News Group on Wednesday. “It’s hard to believe all of this. Over the years, the Lord knows what happened.”
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...-shower-n838671?icid=today_hp_NBCtopheadlines

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Per HLN, both plead NOT GUILTY on all accounts. :(

Next court date is Feb. 23rd.

I want to see those crazy effers in shackles.

I will definitely be going to pretrial and/or trial dates on this case.

Yes. You're right. Huge difference.

Ya'll. I want to do something for these sweet kids. A letter writing campaign. Arrange to get them things they might enjoy. How can we do that? I'm in SoCal. A lot of us are. I'm sure many would be willing to facilitate but I'm not sure how to organize. Or if we can through here.

I'm just really horrified by this and can't stop thinking about them as I know you all are. It's hard to work.

From what I've read, it sounds like staff at the hospital where the adult kids are being treated are most involved in trying to coordinate/respond to offers of help & support they are receiving from literally around the world. Maybe there is a contact person to be found there?

From what I've read, it sounds like staff at the hospital where the adult kids are being treated are most involved in trying to coordinate/respond to offers of help & support they are receiving from literally around the world. Maybe there is a contact person to be found there?

Good thought.

Bet they've had a chance to shower and have new clothes - something they deprived their children of! I want to see the monsters, they don't deserve any privacy now. Expose it all! And going to court certainly will.

I read in an article today that two safes were removed from the home.

Wonder what they had locked in there besides possibly rolls of cash?!?

Brian Rokos
@Brian_Rokos
·
10m
Although the Perris torture defendants were in street clothes, they were in chains - just as authorities said the children of David and Louise Turpin were sometimes held.

Brief overview

They are hoping that anyone with knowledge will come forward.

They slept all day and are awake all night. go to sleep around 4am/5am.

As punishment they began to be tied up, starting many years ago.

One was hogtied!!!!! Then they started using chains etc.

That would be in line with the dad working second shift imo

How can they plead NG? Are you freaking kidding me? What? the children decided to chain themselves and defecate/urinate on themselves for funsies? I can't.

I believe you're right bc at the presser he said that the 100+ journals are great evidence of what went on in the house!

There's zero possibility they were given journals so they could express themselves, much less to do so privately.

Giving those children journals to write in in those circumstances was another form of absolute, soul- destroying control.

Any word on whether they glanced at each other in court?

Did the bride cry?

Did the father appear freaked out?

Yes. You're right. Huge difference.

Ya'll. I want to do something for these sweet kids. A letter writing campaign. Arrange to get them things they might enjoy. How can we do that? I'm in SoCal. A lot of us are. I'm sure many would be willing to facilitate but I'm not sure how to organize. Or if we can through here.

I'm just really horrified by this and can't stop thinking about them as I know you all are. It's hard to work.

One possibility is to take what we are all feeling and check with our local CPS or foster care agencies. We know these kids' story and maybe it goes way beyond what many experience. But, as someone who's been around the social work block, some kids/cases draw a lot of attention while many others just don't get covered (nor should they) in the news. But all the kids need. And most agencies have some kind of program (Christmas presents, collecting school supplies and backpacks, whatever). Back packs can be a great comfort when kids are being whisked out of a household with nothing but a trash bag for their clothes. Maybe something is already being planned for Valentine's Day?

I don't understand why is that, does it mean they will be fighting in court to get the best possible deal for themselves, individually, and not "as a couple"? conflicting accounts and maybe even trying to put more blame on the other person? If this is the case I think we will be hearing many more horrible things about what happened inside that house :(

I must say I haven't given up hope these children -some of them- will be able to somehow recover from this horrific ordeal after what I have read on the newspapers. The fact the 17-year-old planned the escape for two years tells me they were supporting each other to keep their sanity.

I don't think ethically one lawyer could represent both of them. The rules apply to the lawyer(s) taking the case, not the defendants. If there's a chance that your clients will have a direct conflict, you shouldn't represent them both.

I believe you're right bc at the presser he said that the 100+ journals are great evidence of what went on in the house!
& with no TV or computers they will be HONEST innocent accounts of their life. No one can say they made it up, especially if they didn't even know what police were!
MOO

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

One possibility is to take what we are all feeling and check with our local CPS or foster care agencies. We know these kids' story and maybe it goes way beyond what many experience. But, as someone who's been around the social work block, some kids/cases draw a lot of attention while many others just don't get covered (nor should they) in the news. But all the kids need. And most agencies have some kind of program (Christmas presents, collecting school supplies and backpacks, whatever). Back packs can be a great comfort when kids are being whisked out of a household with nothing but a trash bag for their clothes. Maybe something is already being planned for Valentine's Day?

As a former foster kid, THANK YOU for this post :loveyou:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member