CA CA - Adagio "Dag", 14 & Gerald "Storm" Talifero, 68, sailboat from San Diego to Hawaii, 7 June 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Adagio Talifero, 14, was reported missing June 7. He is believed to be with his 68-year-old father Gerard Talifero. The U.S. Coast Guard said the pair planned to sail to Hawaii from San Diego on a 30-foot sailboat in early June, but they have not been heard from since the reported-missing date.

The Taliferos “appear to have airline tickets purchased for a return trip to California from Hawaii Sept. 1.”

The teen and his father could possibly still be in the San Diego region, the Los Angeles area, or in the Hawaii areas of Honolulu or Kauai.

adagio_talifero_gerard_talifero_1536690045299_97134895_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

Boy and father who planned to sail from San Diego to Hawaii remain missing

I hope they are found safe! I had a bigger sailboat and I would never do that journey :eek: But I do know a lot of people that would lol. If they were planning on sailing there and flying back, I am wondering if the plan was to sell/deliver the sailboat or if they have a place to store it there. Hopefully, they are safe on an adventure and contact someone soon. Adagio was reported missing June 7, so there must be more to the story or maybe miscommunication.

I hope they are found and are safe.

Colorful local history about the family: http://www.sarahbest.com/raw-vegan-village/

"In early 2008, Gerald “Storm” and Johanna “Jinjee” Talifero, pictured, announced that they were selling homes in a “Raw Vegan Village” – a community they were building in the Upper Ojai Valley in Southern California.

The Taliferos are the couple behind the popular Garden Diet website, and the homes for sale were to be no ordinary homes, but state-of-the-art luxury green homes set in a stunning location on nearly 120 acres of fertile land......

Lives have been turned upside down with unimaginable stress and anguish. Some have lost their entire life savings and are left struggling to make ends meet.

Nobody but the Taliferos knows what happened to the “little over $900,000” they admit to collecting.

Or... disappearing so no one has to answer to anyone about all of that missing money???
At first, I saw his age and considered that a factor for possible health issues causing the trip to go awry. But, now, I am thinking this was more purposeful.

Or... disappearing so no one has to answer to anyone about all of that missing money???
At first, I saw his age and considered that a factor for possible health issues causing the trip to go awry. But, now, I am thinking this was more purposeful.

Agreed. I suspect this is more San Diego to Mexico (or somewhere further away in Central America) than San Diego to Hawaii. From the sources linked above there's absolutely no indication that this man (or his partner) had the experience or skill to navigate thousands of miles across the Pacific, but chugging a couple of hundred miles down the coast within sight of land would not require much skill at all. The claim to be heading to Hawaii may be a case of deliberate misdirection for when people started to look for them.

Wherever they are, the funds were probably already there awaiting their arrival.

"In early 2008, Gerald “Storm” and Johanna “Jinjee” Talifero, pictured, announced that they were selling homes in a “Raw Vegan Village” – a community they were building in the Upper Ojai Valley in Southern California.

The article mentions that the village was supposed to be built on Sisar Road in Ojai. Looking at that area on satellite it appears that the only land available for development was forested in areas that were burned out in the wildfires at the end of last year. Is it possible that the fires made it impossible for the Taliferos to continue fobbing their investors off in the way they seem to have been doing for a number of years?

Google Maps

Phone interview with Adagio’s mother Jinjee Garrick (no longer Talifero apparently). I get the impression that Storm was seen without Adagio.

From the link:

The two told family members and friends they met owners of a boat from Washington and together they were going to sail 200 miles out to sea. If no one got seasick, then they were going to go on to Hawaii, but if anyone did they'd make a stop in San Diego to drop them off and continue their trip.

However, the days before their departure, no one saw Gerald with Adagio; another concern.

"People thought it was odd because he always kept Adagio very close. They thought it was odd that he would leave Adagio on the boat with people who weren't even close enough to be known to friends and family," explained Garrick.

Video at link

Father and Son Missing On Sailing Trip May Have Stopped in San Diego

Projects attempted:

2005– https://www.amazon.com/Breakthrough-Talifero-family-documentary-long-term/dp/B000P7VA20

2014–Book “The Problem with Unicorns.”
https://www.amazon.com/Problem-Unicorns-Storm-Talifero/dp/1496035933
The Problem Unicorns
From this book description...I can’t find anything about The Jade Forest Foundation:
Talifero lives with his family in the high mountain desert of Southern California where he works on his art, film, music and writing. He is the Director of The Jade Forest Foundation which in the summer conducts wilderness adventure programs bringing together young people from different walks of life.

Fundraising at indie go go (can’t be linked) for a movie based on his book. Description lists other projects he has been involved in.

More fundraising attempts at indie go go, including for a solar hydrogen sailboat!

Comments from Storm's oldest daughter after a friend offered to help look out-
XXXXX- What's the name of their boat? I'll ask my longliner friends to keep their eyes peeled.
Daughter- They literally didn't tell anyone on purpose I think, thanks tho
XXXX- Damn, I hope they're okay.
Daughter- lol I bet they're fine
Direct quotes. I really do hope they are found and that Adagio is safe. I am surprised that the referenced boat owner has not come forward to throw some light on the mystery. If indeed they went on a journey and the boat went down with the owner also- wouldn't it be likely that owner would be considered missing too?

I wonder if there was ever a boat. The tickets home from Hawaii don’t make sense though if there wasn’t a boat. But it just seems odd that no boat owner has come forward...unless there was smuggling going on.
JMO

If you dig through Adagio’s mother’s recent posts on her FB page (no longer Talifero), in the comments she responds to questions about the mysterious boat, her theories about what happened and why her son is with his father. Not able to link, quote or discuss per TOS, of course. Just pointing the way.

Yes, she has put forth a variety of scenarios, and I do feel for her as a mother- to have so many possible motivations and outcomes must be so difficult for her and the other siblings. I do hope that this is matter of a purposeful disappearance as opposed to her two alternatives (a planned suicide/homicide or a sunk boat). I hope for a quick resolution to this mystery and wish for the best outcome- especially for the missing child.

Planned disappearance to the lap of luxury spending all that money. Bet the boat was sunk and they laughed all the way tot he overseas bank.

I doubt $900k would keep them in luxury for very long. A couple of years, maybe, though it depends on what you mean by "luxury". No doubt everyone has their own idea of it and what level of income would be required to support it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LowStuff5019
Back