CA, Anaheim toddler,Ily Ruiz, 3, died from hot car, mother facing charges,9/9/24

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Uh oh, this next info is problematic....very tragic and negligent... :confused:

Hernandez was treated at the medical facility and then booked into the Anaheim Police Department Detention Facility. Authorities said empty alcohol containers were found inside the vehicle.

A woman who identified herself as the great-aunt of Hernandez told NBC4 that the mother locked herself and her daughter in a car. According to the great-aunt, Hernandez also has a 5-year-old child and that child was in school at the time.

The woman said relatives understood that Hernandez was going to pick up the older child from school, and that they were unaware she and the toddler never left the vehicle.

[So she was drinking in her car while her toddler napped, and fell asleep ? And she was supposed to pick her 5 yr old cup, and drive home after drinking in the car? ]

Sandra Hernandez, 41, faces charges that include involuntary manslaughter and felony child neglect in connection with the death of her 3-year-old daughter. The two were found Friday afternoon unresponsive in a Ford Expedition that was parked on the 1300 block of Fashion Lane. They were locked in the vehicle on a day when it was 104 degrees outside.

This is a very tragic case, with layers of sadness.

Following her arrest, it was revealed that Hernandez-Cazares had advocated for stricter DUI laws after losing her five-year-old and nine-year-old sons a decade prior to a drunk driver.

of all people, she should've known better
no sympathy here - she should be charged with murder IMO

Wouldn't the toddler be screaming and crying before she died? And the mother supposedly was able to sleep through it? I guess being passed out drunk isn't the same as sleeping though.

I have no kids, and I've never used a car seat, but every time I hear of these cases that involve toddlers and not infants, I'm always amazed that the child could not get out of the car seat by him or herself! Are they really that impossible for a toddler to figure out? Even if they are desperate? I guess even if they did manage to get out of the car seat, in many cases, they'd still be locked in the car, unable to unlock the doors. But in this case, maybe that would have been enough, if she could've roused her mother. How awful.

@sunspun I think her daughter would have definitely cried, but she was very intoxicated.

Some carseats are designed so that young children probably wouldn't be able to unbuckle them. This prevents them from unbuckling their seats during drives, which would be so unsafe, and if they could, some children would keep doing it, despite their parents best efforts at stopping them. So it's a safety feature -- except in these hot car cases. This case is just so tragic.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephNTexas
Back