Still Missing CA - Aranda Briones, 16, missing after a night out with friends, Moreno Valley, 13 Jan 2019 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Case RIF1900705 - Defendants

SeqDefendantNext Court DateStatusAgency /
DR Number
Arrest DateCount 1 ChargeViolation Date
1 SHOVER, OWEN SKYLER Jury Trial
07/29/2024 AT 8:30 AM DEPT. 51
ACTIVE RSTE
MV190140275
01/13/2019 PC 187(A) 01/13/2019

Case RIF1900705 - SHOVER, OWEN SKYLER - Actions & Minutes

Action DateAction TextDispositionHearing Type
12/31/2050 CASE DESIGNATION: NOT DEATH PENALTY
07/29/2024 8:30 AM DEPT. 51 JURY TRIAL ACTIVE
06/17/2024 8:30 AM DEPT. 64 JURY TRIAL DISPOSED

DR Number
1SHOVER, OWEN SKYLERJury Trial
ACTIVERSTE
MV190140275
01/13/2019PC 187(A)01/13/2019

Case RIF1900705 - SHOVER, OWEN SKYLER - Actions & Minutes

Action DateAction TextDispositionHearing Type
12/31/2050CASE DESIGNATION: NOT DEATH PENALTY
07/29/2024 8:30 AM DEPT. 51JURY TRIALACTIVE
06/17/2024 8:30 AM DEPT. 64JURY TRIALDISPOSED

Oh geez.... for some reason I KNEW this was not going to be happening.... wonder what the problem is??!!

Thanks @Seattle1 for the new info.

Hi @Seattle1 and @Niner. What sparked your interest in this case? I’m following along, and I appreciate all of the updates. This guy is a big time looser and I can’t believe all of the delays in this case. Not to mention, there is no local coverage of the case at all. Nothing since the Shovers were arrested.

I’m also curious as to why the location of her body wasn’t demanded as part of Gary’s reduction in charge to accessory after the fact. Wouldn’t this indicate he MAY have been part of disposing of Aranda’s body? The article stated he pled guilty to helping Owen cover up the murder. I know that Owen could have just told him what he’d done or had Gary help bury whatever was dug up from the backyard. I find it hard to believe that Gary doesn’t know the location of her body. Owen is a loud mouth and bragger. Gary has to know. Five years. The wheels of justice are flat.

Last edited:
Hi @Seattle1 and @Niner. What sparked your interest in this case? I’m following along, and I appreciate all of the updates. This guy is a big time looser and I can’t believe all of the delays in this case. Not to mention, there is no local coverage of the case at all. Nothing since the Shovers were arrested.

I’m also curious as to why the location of her body wasn’t demanded as part of Gary’s reduction in charge to accessory after the fact. Wouldn’t this indicate he MAY have been part of disposing of Aranda’s body? The article stated he pled guilty to helping Owen cover up the murder. I know that Owen could have just told him what he’d done or had Gary help bury whatever was dug up from the backyard. I find it hard to believe that Gary doesn’t know the location of her body. Owen is a loud mouth and bragger. Gary has to know. Five years. The wheels of justice are flat.
Thanks for your post @Biotchr04 -- I just happened to be near the Valley for my work when Aranda disappeared, and I saw her brother on the local news giving an interview and sharing what he knew. He said that she was expected to go to the community park that day and her friend (who turned out to be Owen ) first told the family he gave her a ride to the park but afterwards became very inconsistent every time he retold the story. I think everybody was suspicious of Owen very early.

Also, we know from the preliminary hearing that the prosecution's murder charge against Gary must have been weak since murder did not survive his preliminary hearing, and charges dropped to the reduced charge of accessory.. he judge reduced his charges.

Since the prosecution doesn't have the goods, I'm sure Owen's defense attorney advised him to remains silent. He has a constitutional right not to incriminate himself so even if he knew the location, he best keep quiet or risk new charges. As for the plea agreement, Owen had no criminal record and he'd been jailed for several years already so I don't think the prosecution had any bargaining power with him. JMO

Thanks for your post @Biotchr04 -- I just happened to be near the Valley for my work when Aranda disappeared, and I saw her brother on the local news giving an interview and sharing what he knew. He said that she was expected to go to the community park that day and her friend (who turned out to be Owen ) first told the family he gave her a ride to the park but afterwards became very inconsistent every time he retold the story. I think everybody was suspicious of Owen very early.

Also, we know from the preliminary hearing that the prosecution's murder charge against Gary must have been weak since murder did not survive his preliminary hearing, and charges dropped to the reduced charge of accessory.. he judge reduced his charges.

Since the prosecution doesn't have the goods, I'm sure Owen's defense attorney advised him to remains silent. He has a constitutional right not to incriminate himself so even if he knew the location, he best keep quiet or risk new charges. As for the plea agreement, Owen had no criminal record and he'd been jailed for several years already so I don't think the prosecution had any bargaining power with him. JMO
Do you mean Gary in the last paragraph? I know they both have rights. I guess I was just hoping that since Gary said he was an accomplice that they would try and get the info. Who know, maybe they did, but as you said, with no leverage to bargain with. All the campus security on campus knew Owen was trouble. They of course know much more than teachers about what the students get up to on campus. I’ve heard some stuff, and was really surprised he wasn’t arrested for drugs prior to this case. Anyway. I keep following to see if Aranda’s family gets any justice. Thank you for the reply and for keeping us all up to date.

@Seattle1 - just checking to make sure Owen still has trial beginning on 7/29/24. TIA! And no hurry! :)

@Seattle1 - just checking to make sure Owen still has trial beginning on 7/29/24. TIA! And no hurry! :)
Owen is still on for 7/29/24 but it's not for the Jury Trial. This date is noted as Motions hearing and the usual felony settlement conference for his contraband case. She the slew of additional Motions filed below. Looks like they are getting closer to trial but not seeing jury selection until maybe August. JMO

DR Number
1 SHOVER, OWEN SKYLER Hearing on Motion Re: to admit defendants extrajudicial statements
ACTIVE RSTE
MV190140275
01/13/2019 PC 187(A) 01/13/201

SHOVER, OWEN SKYLER - All of Defendant's Other Cases

Case NumberFiled DateChargesNext HearingJurisdictionStatus
BAF2100340 03/15/2021 PC 4573.8 Felony Settlement Conference
SUPERIOR COURT - RIVERSIDE Active

07/02/2024 PEOPLES TRIAL BRIEF AND MOTIONS IN LIMINE FILED.
07/02/2024 ORDER RE: EXCESS OF 10 PAGES FILED.
07/02/2024 EXPARTE APPLICATION TO FILE TRIAL BRIEF FILED.
07/02/2024 PEOPLES ISSUE BRIEF RE:ADMISSIBILITY OF VICTIM ST FILED.
06/26/2024 MOTION TO ADMIT DEFENDANTS EXTRAJUDICIAL STATEMENTS FILED.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back