Still Missing CA - Aranda Briones, 16, missing after a night out with friends, Moreno Valley, 13 Jan 2019 *arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Niner -- It seems to me that they are still in jury selection -- nothing telling me a jury is seated.

Case RIF1900705 - SHOVER, OWEN SKYLER - Actions & Minutes

Action DateAction TextDispositionHearing Type
08/06/2024 9:00 AM DEPT. 51 JURY TRIAL IN-PROGRESS ACTIVE
08/05/2024 EXCUSED JUROR QUESTIONNAIRES FILED (CONFIDENTIAL)
08/05/2024 JURY PANEL CONTACT INFORMATION FILED [CR036]
08/05/2024 9:00 AM DEPT. 51 JURY TRIAL IN-PROGRESS DISPOSED

Finally, the motive -- as reported from the trial brief:

Owen Shover and Aranda both attended Moreno Valley High School in the fall of 2017 and shared mutual friends. On Nov 7, 2017, the friends ditched school, and gathered in Community Park where a school resource officer seeking truants spotted the teens.

Shover, in possession of a handgun, panicked and tossed it to Aranda-- yelling for her to "hide it." Frightened, Aranda tossed the gun into a drainage canal-- but not before being seen by the resource officer who collected the weapon. When called before school administrators, Aranda disclosed that Shover was the one with the gun who tossed it to her.

The matter came before the local school board in February 2018, and its members voted to expel Aranda and Shover from Moreno Valley High. She enrolled in a nearby continuation school, while Shover moved out of his mother’s Moreno Valley home and relocated to his father’s residence and enrolled in a continuation school in Hesperia. But he was incensed over being kicked out of Moreno Valley High and what he evidently perceived as Aranda’s betrayal of trust, according to the brief.

Reportedly, in the eyes of Shover, getting expelled from Monroe Valley HS was evidence of the betrayal of Aranda's trust, and this sealed her fate. Via social media, Investigators obtained evidence of Shover shopping for another weapon between Nov 2018 and January 2019. The defendant became meticulous in his plan to destroy Aranda:

On Jan. 12, 2019, Shover contacted Aranda via text, inviting her to join him the following day while he made drug deliveries and “robs drug dealers,” the brief alleged. She agreed to meet him at Bayside Park, and the two connected shortly before 5 p.m. on Jan 13, 2019... Aranda posted several pictures to social media accounts within an hour, showing her and Shover in his car, expressing elation to be with her “homie,” who was letting her do some of the driving, according to the brief...While en route, Shover contacted his brother via FB messenger, stating, “Be ready for tonight. Get shovels and lighter fluid ready,” according to the brief.

The defendant retrieved his brother (Gary Shover) from the mobile home park, and the two headed north into the San Bernardino Mountains via state Routes 138 and 18. Between 8:33 p.m. and 10:14 p.m. According to the prosecutor, the defendant allegedly shut off his cell phone, making its signal unreadable-- but it returned to life after he reached his father’s home (located at 16210 Grevillea St).

Trial Brief Details

Now that we finally have a glimpse of the details-- I'm anxious to learn of the search efforts in the San Bernardino Mountains. I just watched a YT (Profiling Evil) on the recovery of Dylan Rounds in the Utah desert and I'm saddened that more than five years has lapsed before we learned of these details.

View attachment 521957

CA-138 & CA-18
California 93544

This is…such a dumb motive for murder. I mean, obviously murder is wrong and there’s not really a good motive for murder and many murderers are dumb and yada yada, all those caveats—

—but he (incorrectly) blames her for getting expelled, presumably in part because being expelled was disruptive to his life, so he spends the next year planning to kill her and fully ruin his life? He could have spent that year getting his GED, a job, and his act together. Instead, he (allegedly) spent the year planning a murder that he was arrested for within a month.

@Niner -- It seems to me that they are still in jury selection -- nothing telling me a jury is seated.

Case RIF1900705 - SHOVER, OWEN SKYLER - Actions & Minutes

Action DateAction TextDispositionHearing Type
08/06/2024 9:00 AM DEPT. 51JURY TRIAL IN-PROGRESSACTIVE
08/05/2024EXCUSED JUROR QUESTIONNAIRES FILED (CONFIDENTIAL)
08/05/2024JURY PANEL CONTACT INFORMATION FILED [CR036]
08/05/2024 9:00 AM DEPT. 51JURY TRIAL IN-PROGRESSDISPOSED

I guess we will find out tomorrow - or later today IF the jury selection is still in progress.... CourtTV isn't giving much info on this trial.... well - as far as I can find!

And again!! THANKS for all the info. Trying to keep up! LOL! :)

Do you mean Gary in the last paragraph? I know they both have rights. I guess I was just hoping that since Gary said he was an accomplice that they would try and get the info. Who know, maybe they did, but as you said, with no leverage to bargain with. All the campus security on campus knew Owen was trouble. They of course know much more than teachers about what the students get up to on campus. I’ve heard some stuff, and was really surprised he wasn’t arrested for drugs prior to this case. Anyway. I keep following to see if Aranda’s family gets any justice. Thank you for the reply and for keeping us all up to date.
Yes, I did mean Gary and not Owen in my last paragraph about not having a criminal record.

I learned today for the first time that Gary will be testifying against Owen as part of his plea agreement. I know prosecutors are not inclined to force children to testify against their parents but apparently the same doesn't hold true for brothers. This should be interesting. From what I learned from locals and his contraband charges while in County Jail, I too am surprised Owen wasn't arrested earlier for drugs.

Thank you. I was Owen’s teacher for a short time and I also taught Aranda’s uncle James. The drugs in jail are no surprise. I suspected Owen was selling in school, although I have no proof. He would often just get up and leave class and not return. I even had students come to my class and ask for him. Just weird. That boy was always emotionless. He’d pull some stunt in class, like turn on the safety shower and soak the floor. Sit calmly back down without any expression on his face. His eyes always seemed empty, but I could tell he was paying attention to everything going on around him. He very rarely spoke in class and he never did any work. I’d see Aranda walking around campus with him sometimes. She was even suspended from school for possession of a gun that Owen gave her. I think the reason she didn’t get expelled is because he brought it onto campus and gave it to her. He was always up to something. It’s sad that neither of them have given up the location of her body. That family has been through so much, even before this. It’s heartbreaking that there has been no resolution or peace for them.

From the Trial Brief about Aranda having the Owen's gun (because he asked her to hide it), and the school board later voting to expel them from MVHS, do you think Aranda would have ever been allowed to return-- or would she have been required to graduate from the "Continuation School?"

I think that would have been pretty devastating for a 16 yr old -- especially since MVHS is rated an above average public school, and more than 80% of the students liked and supported the school according to a Niche poll.

Case RIF1900705 - Defendants

SeqDefendantNext Court DateStatusAgency /
DR Number
Arrest DateCount 1 ChargeViolation Date
1 SHOVER, OWEN SKYLER Jury Trial In-Progress
08/06/2024 AT 9:00 AM DEPT. 51
ACTIVE RSTE
MV190140275
01/13/2019 PC 187(A) 01/13/2019

It's past 9 AM and still no live trial by Court TV (Opening Statements) so I think it's safe to assume jury selection is still in progress. Maybe Opening will be this afternoon. Last update by Matt Johnson was 8/5. PM. MOO

Case RIF1900705 - Defendants

SeqDefendantNext Court DateStatusAgency /
DR Number
Arrest DateCount 1 ChargeViolation Date
1SHOVER, OWEN SKYLERJury Trial In-Progress
08/06/2024 AT 9:00 AM DEPT. 51
ACTIVERSTE
MV190140275
01/13/2019PC 187(A)01/13/2019

It's past 9 AM and still no live trial by Court TV (Opening Statements) so I think it's safe to assume jury selection is still in progress. Maybe Opening will be this afternoon. Last update by Matt Johnson was 8/5. PM. MOO

Wish they would put JURY Selection in progress.... will correct my notes. And Thanks!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Featherock
Back