CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
About good samaritanism in the desert:

Unless an RV occupant signals distress to someone on the road, seeing a RV pulled off on those pullouts is normal. Unless BT was seen pulling frantically on the RV door, or she tried to flag someone down, no one would want to interrupt what was obviously recreation. It would be scary to most Californians to have someone slow down and call out on a remote desert highway (we would all signal for help, I think).

Woman waiting by RV? Probably has someone nearby. Is in the desert to sunbathe and enjoy herself.

One thing is very strange about the abduction scenario and that's the very short time frame (according to RT) in which it could have occurred. He would have been 5-10 minutes behind her. A car goes by every 2-5 minutes out there. So, if an abduction was planned, then it had to be timed very carefully. She could easily have chosen to stay near him.

A waiting non-stranger abductor would risk being seen by cars while they waited. An abductor who was called and given a signal? That would mean the abductor was following them around and it would be highly coordinated abduction likely involving use of phones.

RT's story does not have him see any abductors or, apparently, suspect abductors at first. He shouts for her. He looks around, goes back to the rock-shade, waves his arms (perhaps from one of the small rises on the trail?) He says he looks under rocks (I think he must mean the bigger ones back toward where they separated).

IF RT or Barbara had serious enemies then RT would surely tell the police about it. In detail.

These enemies would have had to follow RT closely since 8:15 that morning...either pull over or keep driving by a dirt turn-out, not knowing how long the hike was going to be or if Barbara was going to be alone (maybe they intended to kidnap both of them? if they had both gone missing, though, the media attention would be much much higher...that's a really daring act and probably means more than one abductor, that's organized crime level of abduction).

It's really hard to think this was a random abduction (as RT seemed to imply, IMO). It would be easier for me to believe they'd had a spat (or Barbara had had it with the RV not opening and it was hot) and she flagged down a car, got in and got a ride to...someplace with A/C? She had no money, no ID...surely she would have just waited or gone to hurry up RT? Even if planning to leave him, this is a very unlikely scenario (no clothes, no phone, no money, no ID, etc).

At the very least I would think the station would try to get an update from LE on the case.

Are search warrants considered public records in California, or no?
I don't know whether LE has executed any search warrants r/t BT's disappearance or not, but if they have,
I wonder why MSM hasn't requested copies of those and published them.

In the - (wait for it) - Erin Corwin case, several MSM outlets did manage to obtain copies of a probable cause affidavit filed by LE and reported on the contents of that probable cause affidavit.

Link to one of those articles, written around a month after EC had gone missing, but before she was found:
UPDATE: Detectives 'Looking For A Crime Scene' In Erin Corwin Case (Video)

Hopefully, MSM is keeping an eye out for any docs filed by LE with the court r/t BT's disappearance.

JMO.

From a longtime fence-sitter, I would suggest that it is perhaps not always thinking positively of people, but simply seeing the evidence as supporting more than one scenario and not being able to conclude that there is only one possibility. Speaking only for myself, I agree that the facts we know may strongly indicate a particular scenario, but for some of those facts there could be what I would consider reasonable explanations. I also cannot discount that there are facts we don't know as well. Essentially, the limited information we have isn't enough for me, but I recognize it's more than enough for others, and I'm okay with that.

As a general aside (meaning not directed at anyone), I've hesitated to post in Barbara's thread over the last couple of weeks because of at-times dogmatic and/or mocking deconstruction of posts or theories that the replying poster might disagree with, and I thank the mods for working so hard to deal with that. I don't imagine that any of us show up here looking for a fight or to be snarked at for our participation, but rather because we hope to be part of the solution to Barbara's disappearance and ease the suffering of her loved ones. Please let's continue to discuss and disagree in a courteous, productive way.

My goal is to always contribute thoughtfully and with respect for the time and efforts of my fellow sleuths, because I appreciate that you're willing to invest both for someone you've never met. No matter what your theory is in this case, thank you for being here for Barbara.

Stay off the fence. Great post!!!

Abduction Theorists - Where was BT in relation to RV?
About good samaritanism in the desert:
Unless an RV occupant signals distress to someone on the road, seeing a RV pulled off on those pullouts is normal. Unless BT was seen pulling frantically on the RV door, or she tried to flag someone down, no one would want to interrupt what was obviously recreation. It would be scary to most Californians to have someone slow down and call out on a remote desert highway (we would all signal for help, I think).
Woman waiting by RV? Probably has someone nearby. Is in the desert to sunbathe and enjoy herself....
@10ofRods :) Thanks for insightful post. snipped for focus.
Agreeing w your post ^ re RVer practices generally. Good description.

In discussing possible abductions, I think ---
- Some posters have assumed or described BT as distant from RV - for ex., yards away, where she decided (hypo'ly) to hitch a ride. If so, passersby would not automatically associate her w the RV, so poss'ly make a GoodSam stop.
- Some posters assumed or described BT as right at/next to RV and would think nothing of the rig and woman being there. Like you said - sunning and funning in the desert.

And a person pulling frantically on RV door? All/virtually all RV doors I've seen are on curb side, not street side. When parked, seems it would typically be difficult for other vehicle occupants going by to see person at door. Of course, would depend on curves in the road and angle of rig parking job, etc.

My earlier post mentioned stranger-abductor theory as oooout there, and your post ^ explains why hired-abductor seems even fuuuuurrrrrther ooooooout there, imo.

Son thinks RT is involved in BT's disappearance and RT wouldn't make a comment and referred the news reporter to his lawyer.

Watch Live

Starts around 49:06

Police believe she was last seen about 20 miles north of I 40 east of Kelbaker Rd.
RT lawyer says they are still frantically working on ways to get information to bring Barbara home.

This is a live show, so I can’t get to where the story is...at least I don’t see how. In any case, it might repeat at 11:00.

Watch Live

Starts around 49:06

Police believe she was last seen about 20 miles north of I 40 east of Kelbaker Rd.
RT lawyer says they are still frantically working on ways to get information to bring Barbara home.

BBM Someone should contact the lawyer and suggest having a vigil and distributing flyers :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member