CA CA - Barbara Thomas, 69, from Bullhead City AZ, disappeared in Mojave desert, 12 July 2019 #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys make of the sroads’ information that a car passes every few minutes? Do the logistics allow for in your opinions that someone could scoop her up IF they wanted to? Tia. Sorry if this is a rehash question.
There was speculation that there may have been more cars passing when @sroad was there due to the lookey-loo factor after a mysterious disappearance there. I haven’t seen any evidence that traffic is or is not normally that heavy. If it is, I’d say any kidnapper took a real hell of a risk of being seen.

Perhaps LE can't be 100% sure of the timeline because 1) They have no proof or evidence to confirm RT's ststement and 2) RT's statement appeared deceptive on the polygraph.

I'm just jumping off your post to say that it's possible that LE may have told RT that his polygraph test indicated that he was deceitful just to see what his reaction would be. He could've answered their questions truthfully and had no indications that he was lying but LE is under no obligation to be truthful during questioning: https://www.apa.org/monitor/2014/05/jn

I'm just jumping off your post to say that it's possible that LE may have told RT that his polygraph test indicated that he was deceitful just to see what his reaction would be. He could've answered their questions truthfully and had no indications that he was lying but LE is under no obligation to be truthful during questioning: Deception in the interrogation room

(O/T, you may appreciate these articles I posted in another thread:

“We DO know that LE does whatever they need to do strategically to get the upper hand—-this includes (snip)....

I believe the technical term used is “ruse”, jmo.

To Ruse Or Not To Ruse » CriminalJusticeDegree.com

Harvard Law Review
Bait, Mask, and Ruse
Technology and Police Deception
https://harvardlawreview.org/2015/04/bait-mask-and-ruse/ “ )

Sure, *if* he'd still been taking photos, but he said he was putting his camera away, so I take that as he was already finished with the photo-taking and was now putting his stuff away when she rounded the corner out of his sight, which suggests he couldn't have been far behind.

Unless Barbara is more fit, and walked twice as fast, then the distance between them could easily be 15 minutes, distance for Robert wise.

Robert Gray, Fox News reporter, said that authorities said that they " are unaware of how long RT and BT were separated before she disappeared nor do they know how far she was from the RV at the time". <<< said at 1:33 in the video below

Husband of missing 69-year-old hiker says police consider him a suspect

Thanks, so it's not a direct statement from LE.

Since they have clearly said they are not releasing any information whatsoever, it is obvious they would not come up with that quote, it makes no sense whatsoever to think they did.

Probably the FOX reporter asked these questions, and got the answer "We cannot tell you that sir", as in, we told you previously we are not sharing any information whatsoever about this case nor the search. IMO

This then gets interpretated as they are unaware instead of they are not willing to share, and that is how a another story is born. IMO

It makes no sense, that LE on the spot explicitly says: "We are not sharing anything whatsoever about this missing persons investigation", and then call him back saying hey wait a minute, maybe it is interesting for you to know that we have no idea how long RT and BT were separated before she went missing or how far she was from the RV, we really want to share that with you.

Makes no sense, just wrong interpretation maybe even on purpose because LE did not give them anything. IMO

Last edited:
If authorities did say that, then they must be uncertain about RT's credibility.

I think it is unlikely LE said this. It serves no purpose, it never made any sense to me.

If they are not willing to share anything, why would they volunteer to have no idea what distance from the RV BT was when she disappeared? What would be the purpose of that non information, why share what you don't know?

This was obviously a question asked to them, to which they answered, we cannot tell you this period. IMO

I think it is unlikely LE said this. It serves no purpose, it never made any sense to me.

If they are not willing to share anything, why would they volunteer to have no idea what distance from the RV BT was when she disappeared? What would be the purpose of that non information, why share what you don't know?

This was obviously a question asked to them, to which they answered, we cannot tell you this period. IMO
Or maybe they said , when asked, we don't know.

Robert clearly did not cook up the kidnapping story (as has been suggested), Jodi Miller on July 22:

The notion that Barbara may have been abducted became public after a different hiker, Shirley Powell, who was missing for days in a different national park 300 miles away, was rescued (July 15). After being found, she described being chased by a knife-wielding man.

"When that information started coming out about [the other woman], that's what created the speculation [that Barbara had been abducted] but our investigation does not indicate any signs that she was abducted,' Miller said.

California police say missing hiker who vanished 'in her bikini' was NOT abducted | Daily Mail Online

It is just that Robert did his interview on July 16, a day after Powell was found. Jodi Miller made her statement a week later, at that point she was able to say no signs of abduction.
It is she though who said where the kidnapping speculation originated, and it wasn't from Robert. IMO

Or maybe they said , when asked, we don't know.

To the question "How far was BT from the RV when she disappeared?"
No one can answer that, or they would not have performed searches in a large area for 10 days.

To the other question, no one can answer that too, since she was never found. Do you consider her missing the moment she took a corner, or the moment she may have walked into a different direction not able to find her way back, the moment someone took her or the moment Robert got worried?
If you do not know what happened to Barbara Thomas and where exactly, it is impossible to know how long exactly RT and BT were separated before such occured.

A "no comment" statement therefor makes more sense to me. A "we don't know" statement does not indicate suspicion towards Robert, who is considered a victim per WS TOS, but rather stating facts, which they beforehand said they were not willing to share. IMO

Last edited:
Unless Barbara is more fit, and walked twice as fast, then the distance between them could easily be 15 minutes, distance for Robert wise.
you are muddying water by saying this @Micheline. the distance between them could have been anything.

according to robert the distance between them was less than 1/4 mile, and the fifth wheel would have been visible. how do you think barb could have been fifteen minutes ahead of robert? because he stopped for 12 mins to take a pic? or did barb walk past the fifthwheel without seeing it? cars passing would have been heard by rt, unless i have mistaken sroads post...

Thanks, so it's not a direct statement from LE.

Since they have clearly said they are not releasing any information whatsoever, it is obvious they would not come up with that quote, it makes no sense whatsoever to think they did.

Probably the FOX reporter asked these questions, and got the answer "We cannot tell you that sir", as in, we told you previously we are not sharing any information whatsoever about this case nor the search. IMO

This then gets interpretated as they are unaware instead of they are not willing to share, and that is how a another story is born. IMO

It makes no sense, that LE on the spot explicitly says: "We are not sharing anything whatsoever about this missing persons investigation", and then call him back saying hey wait a minute, maybe it is interesting for you to know that we have no idea how long RT and BT were separated before she went missing or how far she was from the RV, we really want to share that with you.

Makes no sense, just wrong interpretation maybe even on purpose because LE did not give them anything. IMO

Good point. I hadn't realised that it was not a direct statement from the police.
So just more paraphrasing then.

Not buying any of what? Or maybe share with us what you are buying? We’re all trying to get every possible scenario out on the table.
While it may be fact that RT made all these statements, the statements themselves are not fact. Since this is a victim friendly forum I will just say I am in complete agreement with Barbara's son.

"Schellinkhout is Barbara's only child and he told News 18 he is certain Robert is involved in her disappearance."

"It's just none of it adds up," said Schellinkhout. "It's angering and frustrating. I hope he just tells the truth. The truth about what happened."

Lafayette man's mother still missing after hiking in the Mojave Desert with husband

What do you guys make of @sroad ’s information that a car passes every few minutes? Do the logistics allow for in your opinions that someone could scoop her up IF they wanted to? Tia. Sorry if this is a rehash question.

(ETA: Actually, feel free to ignore his question if it derails...I haven’t been able to keep up here but I have been wondering about this.)

I have never been of the opinion the logistics are in favor of a kidnapping. With RT's timeline that allowed for maybe 3 cars or so to pass by while Barbara was ahead of him. Not to mention, she had to be close enough to the road to get the attention of an abductor. Who had to stop the car and kidnap her. The odds of being kidnapped in the Mojave Desert while "wearing a bikini and drinking beer" are astronomically low.

JMO

Last edited:
you are muddying water by saying this @Micheline. the distance between them could have been anything.

according to robert the distance between them was less than 1/4 mile, and the fifth wheel would have been visible. how do you think barb could have been fifteen minutes ahead of robert? because he stopped for 12 mins to take a pic? or did barb walk past the fifthwheel without seeing it? cars passing would have been heard by rt, unless i have mistaken sroads post...
I don't think it confuses the issue, or "muddys the waters." As you said the distance could have been anything.

After all we do not know how much actual time had passed between the time he took the picture and actually started walking again or how far she was already ahead of him.

A poster upthread said it took them about 10 minutes to put all their camera gear away. I had pictured him just snapping a picture and sticking the camera back in the bag. (like what I would do) I didn't realize there might have been several parts to put away.

Also we do not know how fast Barbara walked or how fast RT walked.
It's reasonable to assume if Barbara had to use the bathroom she would be walking as fast as she could.

Robert may have been walking slowly since he had no idea she was missing at that time and had no reason to rush.

Jmo

Robert clearly did not cook up the kidnapping story (as has been suggested), Jodi Miller on July 22:

The notion that Barbara may have been abducted became public after a different hiker, Shirley Powell, who was missing for days in a different national park 300 miles away, was rescued (July 15). After being found, she described being chased by a knife-wielding man.

"When that information started coming out about [the other woman], that's what created the speculation [that Barbara had been abducted] but our investigation does not indicate any signs that she was abducted,' Miller said.

California police say missing hiker who vanished 'in her bikini' was NOT abducted | Daily Mail Online

It is just that Robert did his interview on July 16, a day after Powell was found. Jodi Miller made her statement a week later, at that point she was able to say no signs of abduction.
It is she though who said where the kidnapping speculation originated, and it wasn't from Robert. IMO

Actually Jodi Miller, spokesperson for the SBSO, didn’t say where the speculation originated; she only said what created the speculation (the news coming out about Powell on 7/15), not who created the speculation.

IMO, I think it’s very interesting that the very next day it is RT who is speculating in an interview that BT was kidnapped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kezzx