CA CA - Barstow, HispFem 14-19, UP6718, severed head in backpack, Feb'10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Do you know if Juana has a crown or a filling?

I dont and know that the delay in ruling her in/out had been obtaining dentals from the other agency...:(

Carl, our emails frequently go into VanNorman's spam folder, so he may not have seen the match info yet...

Carl, our emails frequently go into VanNorman's spam folder, so he may not have seen the match info yet...

That makes sense. I was wondering why Mensch received a reply to his correspondence on Sunday night, and I heard nothing from him after sending two e-mails. He should be back from his day-off within the next couple of hours, so I will give him a call.

I thought that maybe Barstow PD would get right on it after I talked to the Detective, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Thanks Carl-he will appreciate the phone call on something this important.

It's possible it could be either of them, but I lean more toward Noemi because of her hairline.

I'm sure you'll hear from him today Carl- he wouldn't let her slip by.

I just got done talking with him.

He did see my e-mails and thought that he had sent a reply, but apparently, he did not.

He tends to talk fast and he likes to chat. So I can't report everything that he said to me.

But in a nutshell: The gist of our conversation is as follows:

• They have received about 3,000 leads on this UID.
  • They have contacted Rialto PD for Dental Records on Noemi Pineda.
  • My tip was the first time Noemi Pineda came up on his radar.
  • He is not particularly interested in the argument for why a tipster's possible match is strong. He is interested in only 3 things; (fingerprints, dentals, or DNA), and he does look into all tips.
  • Don't rely too much on the facial reconstruction, as this UID's face was badly mutilated by the perp.
  • If LE would do what they are legally required to do (i.e., collect DNA, fingerprints, or dentals on any minor missing more than 30 days), there would not be a need for "bird dogs" (i.e., sleuthers like us).
  • The California DNA lab is no longer able to claim that CODIS does not have false negatives. A Ridgecrest CA case sat in CODIS for over a year without triggering a mtDNA hit. It was only after three family members had samples submitted that a CODIS feature called "Pedigree Tree" evaluated all three samples and triggered a hit on the UID.

Carl,
After I posted the photo of the young girl as a possible here, I just couldn't sit back and wait on a 'rule out'. Then what? What is done with rule outs? I suppose they get put on the back burner while the UID are investigated. I don't know because I work a different type of missing, usually outside of public databases. anyway....
I couldn't get this girl off my mind and began research on her case.

I am happy to say she is NOT this UID. I have been in constant touch with the investigating officer and per his notification this morning, Yarixa has been found. In California with a family member about 1 1/2 drive from where this UID was found even though she was missing from the NE. This is a good ending!
So keep searching even if the distance between a missing and a possible match seems out of range. There are many ways and reasons a MP gets to a location across the globe. It is connecting the dots as well as matching faces.
I am depending on the officer to get Yarixa out of the MP list. Will check later.
I hope you hear something positive on your submission. A different ending, but closure for the family none the less.
Make a grrrreat day!

I usually give them a reasonable amount of time (about 3-4 weeks) to let the process take place before calling back for an update.

Since learning that the UID's face was mutilated, I am a little less confident that Noemi is a match because any resemblance between Noemi and the facial reconstruction would be coincidental. We do still have the Rialto/Fiesta Foods connection and the trace-line match up that are still valid reasons to be hopeful.

I know VanNorman is more thorough than most, so I am not worried that this one will fall through the cracks. Unlike other cases (one of which I just mentioned today on a different thread), he is not one that needs to be prodded and badgered.

As for distance issues, I am sure that you have followed the thread on the St. Paul MN UID/Cheryl Iacovone possible match, which I have been pursuing very actively. The circumstances of disappearance (or lack of a COD narrative) would dictate whether it is reasonable to expand your efforts nationwide.

You got way more out of him Carl then I did when I sent him my match, lol-hats off to you!!!

Mutilating the face throws a curve ball and then tells us that the perp was either making a statement OR watches CSI ;).

Poor angel. I hope we find her, but it is heartening in a way to find girl's alive as well.

I usually give them a reasonable amount of time (about 3-4 weeks) to let the process take place before calling back for an update.

Since learning that the UID's face was mutilated, I am a little less confident that Noemi is a match because any resemblance between Noemi and the UID would be coincidental. We do still have the Rialto/Fiesta Foods connection and the trace-line match up that are still valid reasons to be hopeful.

I know VanNorman is more thorough than most, so I am not worried that this one will fall through the cracks. Unlike other cases (one of which I just mentioned today on a different thread), he is not one that needs to be prodded and badgered.
You are correct, VanNorman is a very caring and thorough individual in his work. It is rare to get both ME and LE on the same page but since this was the case, I went with research rather than waiting and it paid off because if she was ruled out, I just couldn't leave it as a rule out.
All the best -

This girl just showed up in NAMPN today, and she reminded me of Barstow Girl.

Marrybel Michelle Aguilar
http://www.nampn.org/cases/aguilar_marrybel.html

2356551190045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

There is not much in the circumstances to suggest that she might be the Barstow Girl. They say that they "believe" that she went to Mexico.

But the time-frame (DLC is 12 days before Date of Discovery) is right on target, and her complexion is much closer to the reconstruction than Noemi Pineda's is. Her hair had "gold highlights" when she was last seen (just as BG's does), and it is about the same length.

It's hard to tell for sure whether her left earlobe is drooped, but it appears to be.

Her features don't align as well to the reconstruction as Noemi did. But they are not too far off, and VanNorman did say not to rely too much on the reconstruction.

All in all, I would say it's probably not her. But does anyone think that she should be brought to VanNorman's attention just in case?

I like it. I can't quite get my head around the distance from Las Cruces to Barstow though.

I do see a resemblance around the chin, mouth and nose, the eyes not so much. The time and the highlights make it quite compelling though.

Oh and while this probably means nothing, there is a Fiesta Foods grocery store in Las Cruces, just not one of the chain we've identified that is mainly to the eastern side of LA.

My vote is submit it - FWIW. Seems more to include her than to exclude, so what can it hurt?

I think that's a very good possibility, Carl. Yes, send it in.

This girl just showed up yesterday in NAMPN.

Noemi Pineda

http://www.nampn.org/cases/pineda_noemi.html

2529202670045078242S425x425Q851.jpg
2746421770045078242S425x425Q851.jpg

She is from Rialto - Right in the middle of the area where most of the Fiesta Foods markets are located. (The woman's head was found in a Fiesta Foods grocery bag within a backpack).

She went missing August 10, 2009. The head was found February 10, 2010.

The timeframe is a bit of a stretch. But IMO, she does resemble the Jane Doe.

ETA, her closed-mouth smile looks typical of someone who is self-conscious of her teeth. And despite the closed mouth, she does appear to have prominent teeth.

Agreed?

I just got this e-mail from Sgt. Tim Lane of the Rialto Police Department

David and Carl,

On April 1, 2010, Rialto PD received notification that Noemi Pineda was located living in the area of Harris County, Texas. According to a Rialto PD supplemental report dated April 16, 2010, Noemi Pineda returned home to Rialto on April 12, 2010. A missing person cancellation was entered into MPS by Rialto PD on April 19, 2010. Thank you for your efforts regarding this case. Should you have any questions regarding this case or any future cases please don’t hesitate to contact me by phone at (909) 820-2632. I would be happy to assist you.

Thank you,

Tim

ETA: Her NAMPN case file was created three days after she had been located.

Oh, I'm so glad she's been found and is home.

And it's too bad the system is so slow and has so much lag time...

Wow, so interesting. Thank you for your persistence CarlK.

Thanks for sharing with us Carl -- she sure looked like a possible match and even more, it is WONDERFUL to hear good news!!!!!!!
Yippie, one went home.
Now to figure out who it is :-(

Not sure if she's still missing, because she's not listed on the Charley Project pages, but if she is what do you think of this girl as a possibility?

VANESSA ORDAZ

Endangered Runaway -- Missing Since: September 23, 2009 ; age 14

Missing From: LAKE OSWEGO, OREGON

Age Now: 15 -- Height: 5'3" -- Weight: 165 lbs

Hair Color: Black -- Eye Color: Brown

Circumstances: Vanessa may be in the company of an adult male. They may still be in the local area, or they may travel to Mexico. Her ears are pierced.

(Contact 1-800-THE-LOST or the Lake Oswego Police Department at 503-635-0245 with any information.)

http://pleasehelpthesemissingchildren.blogspot.com/2010/02/vanessa-ordaz-15-endangered-runaway.html

k4f6ly.jpg
imjfyg.jpg

It's going to be pretty difficult to peg a match for this UID because her face was mutilated. Actually, the word "mutilated" was my own word choice. As I recall, Van Norman used the word "removed". Van Norman doesn't think that they even should have done a reconstruction because so much of this reconstruction is a wild guess, and people will be focusing too much on her overall appearance when they should be focusing only on her hair, ears, and teeth, and maybe on facial dimensions.

As for Vanessa Ordaz, we can't see her teeth or ears. The facial dimensions look reasonably close, but even with a closed mouth, you can see from the shape of her mouth that she doesn't appear to have prominent teeth. Just for comparison, look back at the photo of Noemi Pineda. Even though she is smiling with a closed mouth, you can see that she has prominent teeth.

BTW, I never called in Marrybel Aguilar because she has a MySpace page, and last signed on in April.

Actually I hadn't realized her face was so destroyed. (This case just makes me sick!) Where does it say she has prominent teeth? Are we talking "overbite", I didn't see that anywhere. Also, does anyone know why the recon on Namus is so different from other? Even the teeth look different between the two.

When I look at recon's now, aside from teeth, I try to look more at hairlines, and space between the eyes where the nose is, bridge I guess you call it. Someone here pointed out the hairline significance and they are right, there are many times someone looks the same, but the distance between eyes and hair line is way off. I wonder if Vanessa is one of the 3000 tips the detective has received? She's so pretty, I hope it isn't her. Also, just to note there seems to be extensive dental work (with the fillings color matched, etc.) Makes me think whomever the doe is came from at least an upper middle classed family. Lake Oswego is an upper middle class burb of Portland.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8
Back