CA CA - Barstow, HispFem 14-19, UP6718, severed head in backpack, Feb'10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Shanta Minor is listed among the exclusions and her Namus page says she's no longer missing.
Raylynn Hernandez has been recovered.

Vanessa Ordaz has her dental information entered in the system so I'm assuming they were not a match. (?)
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/8940/0/

Marissa Drechny was recovered.

OK, I will. Juana has been recovered also so this is not her.

Here is my two cents, I was looking at another case when these two sisters came to mind because of how well the UID was taken
SBautista1.jpg

Stephanie Bautista
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1862dfca.html
JBautista1.jpg

Jennifer Bautista
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1861dfca.html

I see that this thread hasnt seen much activity in a while...I was reading an article on the denver post about some cold cases in Colorado and it got me thinking about this case.

I noticed that this girl and found head is still unsolved. Its been almost three years now since she was found and she deserves justice.

While trolling the internet I came across a missing girl, of similar age/race, that went missing on Halloween 2009, she hasnt been submitted as an exclusion yet
Here is the info her name is DIANA LIZETH VALDEZ

http://www.missingkids.com/missingk...NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

I saw her photo and the composite looks like her.

I found this thread on another girl missing at the same time:

CO Nicole Anna Vera-Rico (15) - Pueblo CO, 2009 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

has anyone checked her out to see if she could be the possibly be the barstow girl?

Let me know if theres any progress on this case, I live about an hour away from Barstow and I think about this girl alot. This is truly sad that its been so long and still nothing.

I ran across this thread during a search of Ivonne Biviano. The good news is most of your suggestions for this UID have been removed from missing sites. Also there are 35 rule outs on NamUs. The bad news is she has not been identified. Ivonne is still missing with no DNA or dentals available. HMMMMM.....

Bumping. This case really gives me this sick gang related crime vibe. Also makes me wonder why no body recovered since there was a decomposed head and not skull. Possible Canabilist activity? Religous cult activity or sacrifice? Organ black market victim like Ryan Singleton whose body was also found in a Cali desert is suspected of being?

LIST OF EXCLUSIONS:

Exclusions
The following people have been ruled out as being this decedent: First Name Last Name Year of Birth State LKA
Madeline Baker 1992 Utah
Sarita Camacho 1993 California
Kyndall Canning 1994 Florida
Kelsey Collins 1991 Washington
Daryen Cravalho 1992 California
Ryann Jennifer Crow (Bunnell) 1986 California
Yrays Cruz 1976 California
Georgina DeJesus 1990 Ohio
Britanee Drexel 1991 New York
Sophia Filipcic 1993 Washington
Jessica Foster 1984 Nevada
Nia Freeman 1994 California
Mariana Gutierrez 1993 California
MEGHAN HODGDON 1990 Connecticut
Angela Jaramilllo 1993 Texas
Maricruz Jimenez 1994 California
Donna Jou 1987 California
Angelica Lopez 1993 California
Nancy Lopez 1994 California
Wendy Martinez 1985 Texas
Diana Mazariegos 1991 California
Summer McStay 1978 California
Kandy Mendizabal 1993 California
Rosa Mendoza Unknown California
Kayleigh Miller 1992 Kansas
Shanta Minor 1994 Colorado
Adriana Murillo 1990 California
Genoveva Ochos 1994 South Carolina
Leah Peebles 1983 New Mexico
Adaneli Perez 1994 California
Kyla Porter 1988 Florida
Vevelina Rodriguez 1996 New York
Katherine Truitt 1972 California
Christina Whittaker 1988 Missouri

Bumping. This case really gives me this sick gang related crime vibe. Also makes me wonder why no body recovered since there was a decomposed head and not skull. Possible Canabilist activity? Religous cult activity or sacrifice? Organ black market victim like Ryan Singleton whose body was also found in a Cali desert is suspected of being?
BBM

The head was not decomposed. It was badly mutilated, but the victim had not been dead for very long.

I haven't checked all the threads in the McStay Family thread to check if this occurred to anyone yet.

This Jane Doe's head was found in Barstow only SIX DAYS after the McStay family was LKA. And the head was thought to have been there a few days when it was found.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6718

abc_kgtv_mcstay_family_kb_131115_16x9_992.jpg

Barstow is the next city east on I-15 from Victorville (i.e., where the McStays bodies were found buried).

And another thing just occurred to me. Joseph's last contact was a call to an employee in Rancho Cucamonga. The Jane Doe's head was wrapped in a Fiesta Foods bag (inside the backpack). And at the time there were Fiesta Foods stores in San Bernardino, Ontario, Fontana, Rialto, and Moreno Valley (All are very close to Rancho Cucamonga).

Any chance they might be connected somehow?

Interesting you bring that up. When this head was found I immediately thought of Summer but she was quickly ruled out. When the Mc Stays were discovered I immediately thought of this case. I couldn't recall exactly where the head was found. It's interesting how close all of these people were in such an apparent short amount of time. It does definitely make me wonder. What makes me think they are not connected is that as far as we know the McStays were not dismembered.

Could this be connected to Israel Keyes? The FBI timeline below puts him in the Western area of the country at that time. Before that in the Southern area, so perhaps he picked up a victim there and then took her over to CA. Also, the victim appears to be around the same age as Samantha Koenig and I think she was dismembered.

http://www.fbi.gov/anchorage/press-...he-publics-assistance-concerning-israel-keyes

BBM

The head was not decomposed. It was badly mutilated, but the victim had not been dead for very long.

CarlK,
i read that the head was found wrapped in the Fiesra foods bag, inside a backpack ? Any word on the type of backpack ? brand ? Wonder if it was a kid's or the type of backback a hiker would use, a bigger backpack ? Any prints or DNA I wonder ? Any writing on the backpack, Spanish or English ?

CarlK,
i read that the head was found wrapped in the Fiesra foods bag, inside a backpack ? Any word on the type of backpack ? brand ? Wonder if it was a kid's or the type of backback a hiker would use, a bigger backpack ? Any prints or DNA I wonder ? Any writing on the backpack, Spanish or English ?

Yes, the head was wrapped in a Fiesta Foods bag, inside a backpack, and as I recall, there was a Walgreens bag in the backpack too. There was a photo of the backpack online when the story broke. IIRC, the backpack was the type that schoolkids would carry their books in. It might have been a Jansport bag, but I am not sure.

I didn't hear anything about writing on the bag, or if any forensic evidence pertaining to the perp was found.

I haven't checked all the threads in the McStay Family thread to check if this occurred to anyone yet.

This Jane Doe's head was found in Barstow only SIX DAYS after the McStay family was LKA. And the head was thought to have been there a few days when it was found.

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/6718

abc_kgtv_mcstay_family_kb_131115_16x9_992.jpg

Barstow is the next city east on I-15 from Victorville (i.e., where the McStays bodies were found buried).

And another thing just occurred to me. Joseph's last contact was a call to an employee in Rancho Cucamonga. The Jane Doe's head was wrapped in a Fiesta Foods bag (inside the backpack). And at the time there were Fiesta Foods stores in San Bernardino, Ontario, Fontana, Rialto, and Moreno Valley (All are very close to Rancho Cucamonga).

Any chance they might be connected somehow?

Hmmmmm...

I too remember April's story from "Disappeared", and Barstow. IIRC from the show, its a shady place.

Hmmmmm...

I too remember April's story from "Disappeared", and Barstow. IIRC from the show, its a shady place.

Yes, it's a shady place. It's primarily gas stations and fast food joints, and very low-budget housing. It's A haven for meth dealers and folks who either can't afford to live in the LA basin, or prefer to be isolated from the southern California population centers.

April was in Newberry Springs, which is near Barstow, but even more isolated and especially shady even by Barstow's standards.

Current exclusions (36):

Madeline Baker 1992 Utah
Sarita Camacho 1993 California
Kyndall Canning 1994 Florida
Kelsey Collins 1991 Washington
Daryen Cravalho 1992 California
Ryann Jennifer Crow (Bunnell) 1986 California
Yrays Cruz 1976 California
Georgina DeJesus 1990 Ohio
Britanee Drexel 1991 New York
Sophia Filipcic 1993 Washington
Jessica Foster 1984 Nevada
Nia Freeman 1994 California
Mariana Gutierrez 1993 California
MEGHAN HODGDON 1990 Connecticut
Angela Jaramilllo 1993 Texas
Maricruz Jimenez 1994 California
Donna Jou 1987 California
Angelica Lopez 1993 California
Nancy Lopez 1994 California
Wendy Martinez 1985 Texas
Summer McStay 1978 California
Kandy Mendizabal 1993 California
Rosa Mendoza Unknown California
Kayleigh Miller 1992 Kansas
Adriana Murillo 1990 California
Genoveva Ochos 1994 South Carolina
Leah Peebles 1983 New Mexico
Adaneli Perez 1994 California
Kyla Porter 1988 Florida
Vevelina Rodriguez 1996 New York
Katherine Truitt 1972 California
Christina Whittaker 1988 Missouri

Bump for Backpack Girl. Her homicide kind of makes you wonder about jawbones and skulls that are found alone from bodies.

Jessica Ragen - tho she is listed as black - last seen in Chula Vista January 17, 2010

Bottom right hand corner of this poster:
m53_cadoj_april_missing_children_monthly_poster.pdf

Today there is a Fiesta Foods listed on Main Street & there are 3 Walgreens in CV. Not sure about 4 years ago...

:dunno:

JMO I have seen quite some UIDs thoughten to of been of a black person when the person was really hispanic, so it could definitely be the other way around. I don't know why Backpack Girl's composite pic looks like she is black, but her skin was still present, so maybe she does have a fairly dark complexion.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back