Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is Enterprise's policy (not saying that the rental car was from Enterprise, just showing a sample of policy
https://www.enterprise.com/en/privacy-policy.html#YourInfoShared

I think rental cars collect a ton more data than you think. LE is mentioned specifically in this policy; they will share data with LE related to a crime.

I agree with your thought on the data rental cars collect. Dr. Siever’s case comes to mind immediately. LE was able to pull up their GPS route and literally track their movements from Missouri to Florida.

I’m confident LE has a good idea who is behind this. I saw they were sending blood evidence to be rushed for DNA analysis. My hunch is once they have the “match” they will make an arrest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I totally understand the old school friend's interest in the case, but I don't understand how she feels going and parking at the street address helps anyone...certainly not LE. If anything it could hinder police operations and I think a "criminology student" should think through this kind of response.
As an aside: It's curious to wonder how the reporter met these gumshoes? She was also probably "just turning up at the house" by following internet clues...And as the footage shows the actual street, I would say by the amount of foot traffic and passing cars that many people have had the same idea...which I find kind of terrifying.

What worries me is that if people follow this kind of whim for "boots on the ground" sleuthing in active, fresh homicide cases their actions could force all kinds of responses from a POI (who has not even been identified as a POI) and from his family/neighbors.

I agree. This kid is close to Blaze's age. Does he also have younger siblings like Blaze? Can you imagine how scared they might be right now? All these strangers and media trucks right there by their house? I would be terrified! I keep thinking about that... I hope there aren't children living in the house which is probably way too much to hope for.

I wish people could just leave it alone until police have made an arrest. I have had crimes close to my family I DO understand the desire for answers. However, a "childhood friend" does not get a pass on endangering people or the investigation, if Blaze's own family and BEST friend are not doing so. :twocents:

The initial report said he was found in the bushes. I guess if someone had him partially concealed by the bushes, then threw debris on top of him, dirt, mulch, leaves, to the wandering eye, he might not have been seen. After the rains, which were heavy and consistent, it could have washed the dirt, leaves and other debris off him enough to expose at least part of him and his clothing.

I don't think so, because they checked the bushes. However I'm guessing they didn't dig anything up. So being partly buried does make the most sense I think. It's still astonishing he wasn't sniffed out by the dogs, but I know it does happen. Even possible the guy put something where Blaze was in order to throw off the dogs.

I need clarification on something. Weren't search/cadaver dogs used at the park? If so, why didn't the dogs pick up on any scent? Aren't these types of trained dogs supposed to be super sensitive to scents of a dead body? Forgive me if it's already been addressed, but I just can't wrap my mind around why the dogs would not pick up on something.

I remember as a dumb HS kid putting myself in all kinds of sticky situations. And my parents were really strict, I could hardly leave the house, but I still managed to get in some scary and risky situations.

I don't see how Blaze could have known that night would end the way it did, with just meeting up with an old friend from HS. Like you said, most of us have done just that. It all seemed innocent enough.

Exactly! I'm still dumbfounded by my recollection of these events. I had completely forgotten about this guy, "our spot", him forcing himself on me at times. Wow, wow, wow.

Geez, this whole scenario just seems so relatable. I thought the whole 'park' trip was weird but not anymore.

I believe someone posted here a link from a news reporter that stated,it was the school principal who contacted police with the schools video surveillance and that's what brought the police back to that spot.

Whoa. That is significant. I think they saw someone at the park in their footage, doing something.

THANK YOU for this link

OMG -JOURNALISM IS DEAD as many of you have been saying
Shame on CBS for this RIDICULOUS last line of the article

He added, “I hope they find the person who did it and he’s held acceptable for what he’s done.”

Acceptable my *advertiser censored**

Maybe that's a direct quote. It even if it was a typo, that doesn't mean jornalism is dead. I read incredible, thought fitful, well written articles
and series regularly- LA Times, Chicago Tribune, NY Times.

I think the big problem is with crummy sites like yahoo news and all the sources they grab "news" articles from. Total garbage.

And in part that's because young people get their news form social
media, not real news agencies. And people lack attention span. They don't want to wait for news. So there's competition to get stories out fast among some sites.

It just all depends on where you look. But I haven't found any serious problems with CBS, ABC, etc. It's all pretty decent reporting, IMO.

I need clarification on something. Weren't search/cadaver dogs used at the park? If so, why didn't the dogs pick up on any scent? Aren't these types of trained dogs supposed to be super sensitive to scents of a dead body? Forgive me if it's already been addressed, but I just can't wrap my mind around why the dogs would not pick up on something.

No method is infallible. Dogs are dogs, humans are humans. People get missed all the time. Sometimes dogs can track where a person went when they are abducted in a car. Sometimes dogs walk right over a person and miss it. There are also things that could have been put on the body to cause the dogs to lose the scent. There are a multitude of options. Cops did make it clear Blaze never left the park. So, his body was simply missed.

I know. Me either. In fact because the dogs didn't alert on him in the park, I believed he was never in the park, let alone dead in the park over by the bushes.

I guess when the dogs were there they missed him completely, LE reporting that the SAR dog search was "inconclusive." I had all the faith that if he were there, the dogs would find him. They didn't.

Exactly! I'm still dumbfounded by my recollection of these events. I had completely forgotten about this guy, "our spot", him forcing himself on me at times. Wow, wow, wow.

Geez, this whole scenario just seems so relatable. I thought the whole 'park' trip was weird but not anymore.

Sometimes we view things as experienced adults who in the same situation would do something different NOW. But we wouldn't have back then. As a parent, when my kids were teens, I tried to put my mindset at their age level to see how they viewed things. Then I would tell them as an aged, experienced adult what was really up. Lol

I believe someone posted here a link from a news reporter that stated,it was the school principal who contacted police with the schools video surveillance and that's what brought the police back to that spot.

It's the first I've heard of this. I don't even remember a discussion about it coming out of this link here. I either missed it completely or ???

Just want to say... So sad for the family, but what a beautiful memory the have of that last night together as a family, having dinner prepared by their beloved son.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have heard there were dogs used and maybe cadaver dogs as well. I can only assume they just must not have been used in the area of the body. Cadaver dogs are very reliable and amazing, but they have to be close. So they must not have searched the entire park. Why wasn't the body found otherwise? I can just assume that the visual search of the area wasn't as thorough as it should have been.

Also, for those that live in the area, what was the weather like on the night of the disappearance, and day after? When did the rain start? And when did the first search of the park occur?

I've worked 24 hours in the last 48 hours and am just reading the heartbreaking news that Blaze has been found deceased. I'm going to catch up now. My thoughts and prayers are with all that loved Blaze.

dogs were used for the lady who ran out of gas past palm springs. nothing.
she was found 300 feet away by a road crew.
dogs were used for the couple lost in joshua tree. nothing.
search party found them 2 miles from the car.
dogs used for blaze.. nothing.

What has me puzzled is how the body was found :thinking: That park isn't very big, not a lot shrubs etc to real conceal a dead body. Why would the rain cause the body to be found? He was missing for a few days, people looked in that park didn't they? I don't understand how his body was found due to the rain???? If his body was buried then I can see the rain washing it up. I also can't believe someone would kill him elsewhere, drag his body to the location he was found in. I'M BAFFLED!!!

We had insane winds not long ago that piled up so much debris in places. The rains could move that debris if on a slant.

I agree. This kid is close to Blaze's age. Does he also have younger siblings like Blaze? Can you imagine how scared they might be right now? All these strangers and media trucks right there by their house? I would be terrified! I keep thinking about that... I hope there aren't children living in the house which is probably way too much to hope for.

I wish people could just leave it alone until police have made an arrest. I have had crimes close to my family I DO understand the desire for answers. However, a "childhood friend" does not get a pass on endangering people or the investigation, if Blaze's own family and BEST friend are not doing so. :twocents:

I don't think so, because they checked the bushes. However I'm guessing they didn't dig anything up. So being partly buried does make the most sense I think. It's still astonishing he wasn't sniffed out by the dogs, but I know it does happen. Even possible the guy put something where Blaze was in order to throw off the dogs.

I think you can consider where he was found being in the bushes - it's surrounded by bushes, so rather then them saying "he way laying in a shallow grave next to the bushes" they said he was in the bushes - also makes it sound like the body was harder to locate, as it did take them an entire week to find him. RIP, Blaze.

dogs were used for the lady who ran out of gas past palm springs. nothing.
she was found 300 feet away by a road crew.
dogs were used for the couple lost in joshua tree. nothing.
search party found them 2 miles from the car.
dogs used for blaze.. nothing.

Yeah. It just happens. Sometimes dogs are a great asset and sometimes they aren't successful. It's worth it to use them but they aren't always definitive or effective.

Earlier today, Blaze's dad mentioned that,

GB
"He was into bread and Kombucha [M]...amongst many other cool recipes."

As people continue to support the Bernsteins while honoring Blaze's memory.

~

http://www.newsweek.com/was-penn-st...nstein-killed-california-police-launch-779602

"...
Bernstein was a talented and established student writer, writing and editing for a number of campus-based publications. He also had a flare for the sciences and appeared to be leaning towards a major in psychology.
..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member