Found Deceased CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #7 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
DA said SW cleaned car thoroughly in and out after the murder. So who knows. Is it easier to clean blood off leather seats than cloth? I'm still curious about the rental car.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/02/02/blaze-bernstein-murder-suspect-court/

There is a substance called luminol that causes blood to fluoresce. It's used to identify trace blood left behind after a thorough cleaning. Surely, the rental car can be (or has been) identified and checked, as well as SW's vehicle. I suppose once trace blood is found, it can be collected and tested for DNA.

Have we established that it was his family vehicle that he cleaned (as opposed to the rental)?

DA said SW cleaned car thoroughly in and out after the murder. So who knows. Is it easier to clean blood off leather seats than cloth? I'm still curious about the rental car.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/02/02/blaze-bernstein-murder-suspect-court/

I took it to mean in the car and in the place he was murdered, they imply it's the park that way. But you are right, it could mean the burial scene. I think the blood in the car was from Sam's clothes, body etc. And from the sleeping bag. There would be so much blood evident with luminol if he was killed there, even if not visible. It would be obvious someone was killed there.

No details on what car when. But they did say he used anti surveillance tactics when he drove around.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

She’s just trying to be nice to the press without saying anything. If she were stone faced or gave them dirty looks we’d be saying she’s cold. It’s a lose lose situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. Some people laugh when they are nervous, some smile, some scowl - you get my drift. This may be her "public face" when dealing with an extremely stressful and difficult situation.

SW's dad was definitely stone-faced.

If she continues to smile, or laugh, at inappropriate moments, then I'd start to wonder about her, and what she was thinking.

Just MVHO, and 2 cents.

Ok, I think technically this is not in a list of things we post, but it's just background, not directly relevant to the case, not rumor mongering in any way. A boy who was Sam's neighbor just committed suicide a week or so ago. He went to the same high school that Sam graduated from. He left three notes which his parents have publicized. The boy blames the school for his death and describes it in some detail. Very sad but interesting to see what might have helped alienate Sam to the point that he found friends via hate groups.

http://brunersbreak.com/the-game-called-life/not-just-another-suicide/

I live in OC and my 25 year old son lives about 10 minutes away from SW. My son has many gay friends including one of his 5 roommates. They are scared to death this guy will most likely be bailed out and fear for their safety since he's already murdered once gets easier the second time.

This will turn into a circus just like Casey Anthony case. She was in and out of jail. I'm sure Munoz is doing this pro bono for the recognition. I wouldn't be surprised if he helps put up the funds for bail just like Baez did for Casey Anthony to show he believes in his innocence.

I'm sure his attorney will advise SW hair grow out to his natural blonde hair color and get him a nice preppie male haircut to look like a nice 20 year old devout Catholic boy who attends church regularly. You can bet he will be at church regularly once bailed out for show. There will be plenty of time to clean him up because if he doesn't take a plea deal this will not go to trial for a min of 5 years. High profile cases in CA takes years to go to trial. If SW out on bail this will be prolonged by his attorney even longer. I'm a trial watcher here in the OC since I'm local.

I'm in OC too. I happened to be at an event yesterday and overheard an OC cop saying that when SW gets bailed out he will wear an ankle monitor. It's only a matter of who will be paying for the monitor, but he will be wearing one.

Hey!

Milenalee said:
10 pm to 5 was said more often.

Thank you! :)

and thank you for ALL the articles and updates on this case! You :yourock:

So far I personally haven't seen on "what time" the next hearing starts.
Anyone? TIA!

I wonder if the car was leased, versus being bought? Do people still do that? It might not be rental as in daily or weekly rental. Do they call it 'rental' if you keep it a year and then get another car? I'm obviously ignorant of this subject. I've never had a vehicle that wasn't bought. But the thought just popped into my pea brain this morning while reading this thread. I have asked how people can afford brand new cars, house, etc, with the wages we have in our area. I'm told many of the vehicles are leased and depending on the lease, will be given back and a new vehicle in a year or two, thus always driving a new vehicle. Seems bizarre to me, as it's never paid for, but I guess the plus side is the monthly payments are lower, and you don't have to worry about huge repair bills.

I'm in OC too. I happened to be at an event yesterday and overheard an OC cop saying that when SW gets bailed out he will wear an ankle monitor. It's only a matter of who will be paying for the monitor, but he will be wearing one.

It was broadly reported that a condition of his bail would be for his family to pay for the gps monitoring.

I expect, judging from the look of their house in the press (small and somewhat shabby) that they don't have 5 million free and clear to wager on Sam meeting all the conditions of his bail. Property is only counted at half its value. And they only get 10% back, assuming they did it themselves without the bondsman, if he is found innocent or has charges dismissed? Otherwise it can go toward fines but how much is that typically? Not 500k surely?

I think It is not legal to set an impossibly high bail, I imagine there will be an appeal for a lower amount.

Here's a summary about bail in Southern California.

http://www.enkanter.com/blog/bail-work-state-california/

Ok, I think technically this is not in a list of things we post, but it's just background, not directly relevant to the case, not rumor mongering in any way. A boy who was Sam's neighbor just committed suicide a week or so ago. He went to the same high school that Sam graduated from. He left three notes which his parents have publicized. The boy blames the school for his death and describes it in some detail. Very sad but interesting to see what might have helped alienate Sam to the point that he found friends via hate groups.

How very sad. :crying: I hope Pat’s notes make a difference in that school and community.

Hey!

Thank you! :)

and thank you for ALL the articles and updates on this case! You :yourock:

So far I personally haven't seen on "what time" the next hearing starts.
Anyone? TIA!

03/02/18
1:30 PM Pre Trial

It was broadly reported that a condition of his bail would be for his family to pay for the gps monitoring.

I expect, judging from the look of their house in the press (small and somewhat shabby) that they don't have 5 million free and clear to wager on Sam meeting all the conditions of his bail. Property is only counted at half its value. And they only get 10% back, assuming they did it themselves without the bondsman, if he is found innocent or has charges dismissed? Otherwise it can go toward fines but how much is that typically? Not 500k surely?

I think It is not legal to set an impossibly high bail, I imagine there will be an appeal for a lower amount.

Though their home is small, according to Zillow, it is likely worth $2-3 million. (location, location, location) Still, not $5 million. But for all we know, they have other property. I’m sure no one would want to tie up all their money and property in bail, but we’ll see what they do.

Thank you for sharing the peer’s letters (PT) because it’s worth a read. Adults & organizations are putting so much pressure on our youth to be “successful”.....

How about they think about acceptance, happiness, daydreams,

Though their home is small, according to Zillow, it is likely worth $2-3 million. (location, location, location) Still, not $5 million. But for all we know, they have other property. I’m sure no one would want to tie up all their money and property in bail, but we’ll see what they do.

Two different realtors from Newport Beach gave the value as 1.8 and 1.9, which is close to 2 but a long way from 3. Zillow takes local comps but doesn't know that a 1400 square ft run downish doesn't quite comp per square foot to the larger remodeled homes. It's pretty much land value. But if they fixed it up and built a second story they could easily get over 3 for it, up to 4 I would guess. A builder would flip it in a heartbeat as is. They probably wouldn't care about it's history. Of course the family may be stuck there, unless they don't bail Sam and have a pro bono lawyer, or are extremely rich.

Will we necessarily get a lot more evidence presented in the preliminary hearing? To me the motive is still likely to be more personal than hate crime. Those are usually planned, public, attention is drawn to the act. I'm not sure they will ever have enough evidence for that. I will bet we have evidence they had sex, and then Sam freaked, or then found out that Blaze had outed him and then freaked. Maybe he was killed in the car, or in the park. But if there is no trial will we ever find out? Is the autopsy a public document that local media will report on? And when is it available? I'm sure they do know where he was killed and when he was buried, but they are totally not telling yet.

JMO

Two different realtors from Newport Beach gave the value as 1.8 and 1.9, which is close to 2 but a long way from 3. Zillow takes local comps but doesn't know that a 1400 square ft run downish doesn't quite comp per square foot to the larger remodeled homes. It's pretty much land value. But if they fixed it up and built a second story they could easily get over 3 for it, up to 4 I would guess. A builder would flip it in a heartbeat as is. They probably wouldn't care about it's history. Of course the family may be stuck there, unless they don't bail Sam and have a pro bono lawyer, or are extremely rich.

Ah yes, I found that out a couple of years ago, when I sold my own house. It was worth considerably less than Zillow thought (and nowhere near $2m btw, lol). It’s really only worth what someone’s willing to pay for it.

Eta: But I guess my point was, looks can be deceiving. In my area, a similar size house would be worth maybe $500,000. In other areas, maybe $150,000. So, you do have to consider that their home is in an area where home prices are relatively high.

Will we necessarily get a lot more evidence presented in the preliminary hearing? To me the motive is still likely to be more personal than hate crime. Those are usually planned, public, attention is drawn to the act. I'm not sure they will ever have enough evidence for that. I will bet we have evidence they had sex, and then Sam freaked, or then found out that Blaze had outed him and then freaked. Maybe he was killed in the car, or in the park. But if there is no trial will we ever find out? Is the autopsy a public document that local media will report on? And when is it available? I'm sure they do know where he was killed and when he was buried, but they are totally not telling yet.

JMO

I had the impression that SW entered a plea of not guilty, in which case there will be a trial. Not sure if the plea could change at the next hearing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had sex, but surely such activity would leave DNA traces that, I assume, LE forensics would be able to identify. More than likely, the prosecution is not playing any more cards than they have to (for hearing purposes) at this stage.

Autopsy reports can be withheld from the public if they are considered trial evidence, but I am sure the details vary depending on state or jurisdiction. Eventually we may see a release of the report.

I have some sleuth info...the judge and bondsman for Woodward hearing Friday both have kids at OCSA!

It absolutely is legal to set an impossibly high bail. The standard for murder is 1 million, which to most is still impossibly high. Honestly, he’s lucky he got bail at all.

If they pay the bail w/o a bondsman they will get 100% back so long as he doesn’t get arrested again or run.
The bail has nothing to do with any fines.

I have some sleuth info...the judge and bondsman for Woodward hearing Friday both have kids at OCSA!

Also, Sam was arraigned across the street from OCSA.

I had the impression that SW entered a plea of not guilty, in which case there will be a trial. Not sure if the plea could change at the next hearing.

I wouldn't be surprised if they had sex, but surely such activity would leave DNA traces that, I assume, LE forensics would be able to identify. More than likely, the prosecution is not playing any more cards than they have to (for hearing purposes) at this stage.

Autopsy reports can be withheld from the public if they are considered trial evidence, but I am sure the details vary depending on state or jurisdiction. Eventually we may see a release of the report.

I think usually they negotiate a plea deal after the preliminary, when the Defence has had some time to review the evidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member