GUILTY CA - Blaze Bernstein, 19, Lake Forest, 2 Jan 2018 #8 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

...the prosecutor, argued that Woodward had actually persuaded Bernstein to go into a foliage area at the park by thinking they were going to “hook up,” and then violently attacked him, stabbing Bernstein nearly 30 times.

(...)

[The prosecutor] told jurors that Bernstein was a victim of Woodward’s alleged targeting of gay men.

“When (Woodward) knew what he wanted to do, he said, ‘Who do I have a better chance of meeting me, a stranger or someone I knew from high school?’” the prosecutor said. “Their guard is completely down. … Unfortunately for Blaze, curiosity killed him.”

(...)

“Did the meeting at the park start out innocently?” [the defense] asked of the night of Bernstein’s death. “Did Blaze have his own agenda that night? Was he planning to betray Sam’s trust once again and have a little fun at his expense?”

Jurors will continue deliberations on Wednesday, July 3. The courthouse is closed Thursday for the July 4th holiday.

After hearing more than two days of closing arguments, jurors began deliberating Tuesday...

[The defense] argued for the defendant to be convicted instead of voluntary manslaughter, but acquitted of hate-crime allegations. Jurors may also consider second-degree murder.

(...)

[The prosecutor] argued to jurors that the evidence points to Woodward planning to attack Bernstein in a "ceremonial" killing to win the prestige of the neo-Nazi group. She said he wore a sweater with a skull image on it to "strike fear" into the victim, and that it had Bernstein's blood spattered on it after the attack.

(...)

[The prosecutor] said Bernstein was rightly "shocked" to see Woodward seeking males on the dating app and sent a link to his public profile to a few fellow classmates from the school of the arts.

[The prosecutor] said Bernstein kept his promise not to share the details of their conversations with others.

"Blaze Bernstein is not here to defend himself against these allegations," ...

...for jurors to reject first-degree murder, "You have to believe a liar."
[The prosecutor] argued to jurors that the evidence points to Woodward planning to attack Bernstein in a "ceremonial" killing to win the prestige of the neo-Nazi group. She said he wore a sweater with a skull image on it to "strike fear" into the victim, and that it had Bernstein's blood spattered on it after the attack.

:'( This actually deeply saddens me and makes me want to cry.

...for jurors to reject first-degree murder, "You have to believe a liar."

THIS.

Wednesday, July 3rd:
*Trial continues (Day 37)-VERDICT WATCH! (Day 2) (@ 8am PT) – CA – Blaze Bernstein (19) (Jan. 2, 2018, Lake Forest; found Jan. 9, 2018; he was stabbed 19 times in his neck; 14 times on the left, 5 on the right & 1 stab wound in his left knee) – *Samuel Lincoln Woodward (20/now 26) arrested (1/15/18) & charged (1/17/18) & arraigned (11/9/18) with 1 count of felony murder with a hate crime enhancement for killing someone because of their sexual orientation & sentencing enhancement-personal use of a knife. Plead not guilty (again on 11/9/18). $5M bail, bail revoked (11/9/18). In custody of the Theo Lacy jail.
Trial began on 4/9/24. Court DARK on Fridays.
Judge Kimberly K. Menninger presiding. Prosecutor DA Todd Spitzer & Senior Deputy DA Jennifer Walker; Defense attorney assistant public defender Kenneth S. Morrison (from the Orange County Public Defender’s Office).
State rested their case (I think) on 5/7/24. Defense began on 5/8/24 & ended on 6/27/24. Closing arguments started 6/28/24 & 7/1/24 with prosecutors & defense closing on 7/1 & 7/2/24 & rebuttal by State. Jury started deliberations on 7/2/24 @ ~2:30pm to 5pm (?). Total deliberations: 2 1/2 hours.
Court hearings from 2/2/18 thru 2/29/24 & Jury Selection Days 1-14 (3/6 thru 4/4/24) & Trial Day 1-35 (4/9-7/1/24) reference post #436 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ake-forest-2-jan-2018-8-arrest.618349/page-22

7/2/24 Tuesday, Trial Day 36/Verdict Watch Day 2: Assistant Public Defender Kenneth Morrison finished up defense closing. Rebuttal arguments by Senior Deputy DA Jennifer Walker.
Jurors will be able to consider first- and second-degree murder as well as voluntary manslaughter. Jury started deliberating about 2:30pm & will continue on Wednesday, 7/3/24. The courthouse will be closed on Thursday, 7/4/24.
For more info see post #440 (page 22) & 441 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...ake-forest-2-jan-2018-8-arrest.618349/page-23

Last edited:
I got the time for deliberations from a tweet post (on last page) that said jurors started deliberations an hour ago - so my time said about 12:30am - so 10 hours back would be about 2:30pm PT & I went to 5pm - ??
If some one has the REAL time - please post & I will change my notes! TIA! :)

tweet from @thislouis 6 hours ago: Today is July 3, 2024, exactly six years and six months since Blaze Bernstein, a gay and Jewish college student, was reported missing by his parents.Some reporters are expecting a verdict on his killer, Samuel Woodward, as early as this morning.

tweet from @thislouis 3 hours ago: The jury has a question for Judge Kimberly Menninger. Attorneys are reporting to the courtroom for the answer, which will be on the record.

tweet from @thislouis 2 hours ago: The question wound up being addressed in quarters, so I can't say for sure, but I believe it was about a technical definition relating to premeditation.

Note: In response to someone asking: "What was the question?"

from @thislouis 17 mins ago:
Samuel Woodward, hate crime, first degree murder, GUILTY on both charges - people cheered and clapped in the courtroom.Blaze Bernstein's murderer will be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

I never had any doubt but it's always a relief when jurors come back with the correct verdict.

Sentencing is scheduled for October. Hopefully there is no appeal so the Bernstein family can begin to move forward and never have to be in the same room as SW again.

Scheduled Hearings
DateTimeHearing Type - ReasonCourtroom
10/25/202409:00 AMSentencing and Firearms Relinquishment -C30

Heard Hearings
DateTimeHearing Type - ReasonCourtroomHearing Status
07/03/202408:00 AMJury Trial -C30Heard

Samuel Woodward, the man accused of killing his former classmate Blaze Bernstein in an anti-LGBTQ and anti-Jewish hate crime, was found guilty by a jury on Wednesday. Woodward was found guilty of first-degree murder with special allegations that the killing was motivated by hate and that it was committed using a weapon. The trial, which began in April, came six years after Bernstein was found stabbed to death in Lake Forest. KTLA's Shelby Nelson reports on July 3, 2024. Details: https://ktla.com/news/local-news/fo...-of-blaze-bernstein-in-anti-lgbtq-hate-crime/

Jurors also found that Samuel Woodward committed a hate crime when he killed 19-year-old Blaze Bernstein, whose body was left in a shallow grave at Borrego park in Lake Forest. The victim had been repeatedly stabbed in the face and neck.

There were audible cheers in the courtroom when the hate crime decision was announced. The judge asked for quiet before the clerk continued reading the jury's verdict.

"This is a great relief that justice is served, and this despicable human who murdered our son will no longer be a threat to the public," Jeanne Pepper Bernstein, Blaze Bernstein’s mother, said in a news conference after the verdict was read.

Exclusive video of Sam Woodward's testifying. Apparently the cameras from 48 Hours (CBS) were recording. There will be a Part 2 to the segment aired in the fall of 2018.

Thank you. I am side-eyeing the news guy for saying the trial was "pretty exhilarating" to watch. Maybe he mistakenly used the wrong word.

: causing strong feelings of happy excitement and elation : thrilling. an exhilarating experience.

I never had any doubt but it's always a relief when jurors come back with the correct verdict.

Sentencing is scheduled for October. Hopefully there is no appeal so the Bernstein family can begin to move forward and never have to be in the same room as SW again.

Scheduled Hearings
DateTimeHearing Type - ReasonCourtroom
10/25/202409:00 AMSentencing and Firearms Relinquishment -C30

Heard Hearings
DateTimeHearing Type - ReasonCourtroomHearing Status
07/03/202408:00 AMJury Trial -C30Heard
Why isn't the sentencing until October though?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back