GUILTY CA - Boat fire near Santa Cruz Island; 34 missing, Sept 2019 *captain charged*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Federal officials said the FBI and the Coast Guard are working on the investigation jointly. The FBI doesn't investigate such a case unless it's possibly criminal, according to ABC News.

This news comes just one day after search warrants were served at the company that owned the scuba diving boat that caught fire, the Conception.

Agents with the FBI, the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and other agencies searched Truth Aquatics' offices in Santa Barbara and the company's two remaining boats on Sunday, Santa Barbara County sheriff's Lt. Erik Raney said.
Santa Barbara boat fire: FBI investigating whether criminal violation occurred

The FBI, Coast Guard and U.S. attorney in Los Angeles are overseeing the investigation, according to the two people who were not authorized to speak publicly and commented on condition of anonymity.

Investigators have been gathering other evidence, including interviewing the captain and four surviving crew members, since the Sept. 2 tragedy off the Channel Islands.

Authorities are looking into various safety issues, including whether a night watchman was on duty when the blaze broke out before dawn.
Criminal Probe Underway In Fiery Dive Boat Disaster

Thank you for your opinion. Headlines today, Monday, said as much, but the media likes drama, so I had some salt on it ;) I think you are correct re: BATFE would specifically be concerned about explosives or accelerants, IOW an intentional fire. Maybe this is why they haven't released the name & info of the one missing person?

Thanks, PrairieWind. Would “serious safety deficiencies” be considered criminal?
Yes. This update has a lengthier explanation of how safety lapses can be criminal:

Criminal Probe Launched Into Dive Boat Fire; Focus Will Be on Possible Safety Lapses: Sources

PS I am not sure where I read it therefore no link, but isn't it true that a vessel less than 500 tonnes is not required to have a night watchman? The issue of a night watchman is brought up in the article.

Yes. This update has a lengthier explanation of how safety lapses can be criminal:

Criminal Probe Launched Into Dive Boat Fire; Focus Will Be on Possible Safety Lapses: Sources

PS I am not sure where I read it therefore no link, but isn't it true that a vessel less than 500 tonnes is not required to have a night watchman? The issue of a night watchman is brought up in the article.

I couldn’t find out in googling if there is a weight that doesn’t require a night watchman, but this article makes interesting points about the advisability and legality of having one, even when anchored.

There is a solution, but first let’s talk about the importance of a lookout if you plan on anchoring for the evening. Posting an anchor watch is not only prudent; it’s required by law.

The International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea (Colregs) Rule 5 (known as the Lookout Rule) states: “Every vessel shall at all times maintain a proper lookout by sight and hearing as well by all available means appropriate in the prevailing circumstances and conditions so as to make a full appraisal of the situation and of the risk of collision.”

The writer goes on to describe a nearby anchored boat breaking loose and drifting toward his boat, requiring evasive action on his part in the middle of the night.

Anchoring At Night

ETA: A little more about anchoring at night within 50 ft of another boat.

Keep a Lookout
If you find you have to be within 50 feet of another boat, you must always keep a lookout while anchored at night. Lookouts make sure that the anchors of other boats do not drag and crash into your anchor and vessel. For best results, your entire crew (party, passengers, etc) should take turns keeping a lookout throughout the night. In fact, the USCG can deal out hefty fines for those anchored at night who do not post a watch. Be safe and stay smart by keeping a lookout throughout the night.

What Must You Do When Anchoring at Night?

Last edited:
Page 3 of linked document:

The Organization has been informed that in a number of recent passenger ship fires, some of which have resulted in a high number of fatalities, the crew's performance during fire emergencies has been inadequate.
2 On-board personnel should receive periodic training and drills to become well versed in fire- fighting and fire safety measures. Resolution A.437(XI) "Training of crews in fire-fighting" contains information on land-based fire-fighting training for marine personnel. Land training is essential, but by itself insufficient. The crew should know how to deal with fires on their ship because even the location of
fire-fighting equipment on '1sister11 ships may vary from ship to ship. The common practice of transferring crew members from one ship to another at frequent intervals means that without on-board training and drills they may not become sufficiently familiar with the fire safety features of the ship on which they are serving.

Page 4:
Fire drills
1.1 Each member of the crew shall participate in at least one fire drill every month. A drill shall take place within 24 h of the ship leaving port if more than 25% of the crew have not participated in a fire drill on board that particular ship during the previous month. The Administration may accept other arrangements that are at least equivalent for those classes of ships for which this is impracticable.
1.2 In passenger ships, a fire drill with the participation of the crew shall take place weekly.
1.3 Each fire drill shall include:
.1 reporting to stations and preparing for the duties described in the fire muster list required by regulation 11118;
.2 starting of a fire pump, using at least the two required jets of water to show that the system is in proper working order;
.3 checking fireman's outfit and other personal rescue equipment;
.4 checking the relevant communication equipment;
.5 checking the operation of watertight doors, fire doors and fire dampers;
.6 checking the necessary arrangements for subsequent abandoning of the ship.
1.4 Fire drills shall, as far as practicable, be conducted as if there were an actual emergency.
1.5 Fire drills should be planned in such a way that due consideration is given to regular practice in the various emergencies that may occur depending on the type of ships and the cargo.
2 On-board training and instructions
On-board training and instruction in the use of the ship's fire-extinguishing appliances shall be
given at the same intervals as the drills. Individual instruction may cover different parts of the ship's fire- extinguishing appliances, but all the ship's fire-extinguishing appliances shall be covered within a period of two months. Each member of the crew shall be given the necessary instructions for their assigned duty.
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/5ps/NVIC/1991/n6-91.pdf

Thank you for your opinion. Headlines today, Monday, said as much, but the media likes drama, so I had some salt on it ;) I think you are correct re: BATFE would specifically be concerned about explosives or accelerants, IOW an intentional fire. Maybe this is why they haven't released the name & info of the one missing person?
It is interesting that the BATFE (or ATF) is involved. From their webpage:

ATF's responsibilities include the investigation and prevention of federal offenses involving the unlawful use, manufacture, and possession of firearms and explosives; acts of arson and bombings; and illegal trafficking of alcohol and tobacco products. ...Many of ATF's activities are carried out in conjunction with task forces made up of state and local law enforcement officers.... ATF operates a unique fire research laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland, where full-scale mock-ups of criminal arson can be reconstructed.

What We Do | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

It does bring up thoughts about the person still missing and if that could indeed be related to the investigation in some way. IMHO I would imagine that they would have to tread lightly on what they say about that at this point, since the person could very well still be trapped in the boat or possibly missing at sea.

I will have to verify this information, but have a theory IF it is true.
The thud was probably a sudden explosion of accumulated hydrogen from the ship's main lead-acid batteries.

In that scenario, the electrical system may have overloaded or short circuited, and there would have been no alarm before the explosion and fire.
I was thinking a similar theory, but not with accumulated hydrogen but with pure oxygen which caused the air spaces in the galley and/or bunk area to become oxygen enriched, then a spark or issue with the items being re-charged (maybe in the galley?) set it off the fire so quickly. Why would there be pure o2 on the boat ? Pure o2 is used by advanced technical divers to lessen decompression time on deep dives. The pure o2 is normally kept in smaller supplemental 'pony' bottles, when the diver is decompressing in shallow water (the last decompression stop at 15-20 feet) they switch to the o2 pony to lessen the decompression time. This is beyond the scope of recreational diving and requires special training. When I saw on the dive boat agenda they were going to (conditions permitting) attempt to dive the 'San Miguel Pinnacles' this came to mind. The pinnacles are seamounts in very deep water. This is an advanced dive, these were likely advanced divers on the trip if they were serious about diving these seamounts due to the depth and currents. What is not known is if any of the divers were advanced technical divers who planned to use pure o2, did they have it on the boat ? The other question is whether their nitrox system for refilling used pure o2 using the partial pressure method. note: I have read there are newer systems now for refilling nitrox now which do not use pure o2 bottles due to the inherent risk. IMHO, there are lots of questions...

Last edited:
I was thinking a similar theory, but not with accumulated hydrogen but with pure oxygen which caused the air spaces in the galley and/or bunk area to become oxygen enriched, then a spark or issue with the items being re-charged (maybe in the galley?) set it off the fire so quickly. Why would there be pure o2 on the boat ? Pure o2 is used by advanced technical divers to lessen decompression time on deep dives. The pure o2 is normally kept in smaller supplemental 'pony' bottles, when the diver is decompressing in shallow water (the last decompression stop at 15-20 feet) they switch to the o2 pony to lessen the decompression time. This is beyond the scope of recreational diving and requires special training. When I saw on the dive boat agenda they were going to (conditions permitting) attempt to dive the 'San Miguel Pinnacles' this came to mind. The pinnacles are seamounts in very deep water. This is an advanced dive, these were likely advanced divers on the trip if they were serious about diving these seamounts due to the depth and currents. What is not know is if any of the divers were advanced technical divers who planned to use pure o2, did they have it on the boat. The other question is whether their nitrox system for refilling used pure o2 using the partial pressure method. note: I have read there are newer systems now for refilling nitrox now which do not use pure o2 bottles due to the inherent risk. Lots of questions...

Welcome yeoman! Thanks for your very informative input.

Issues/Problems w This Emergency Exit Hatch

@Sleuth15 :) Thanks for your post & linked 2 1/2 min NTSB vid, which drives home the point about "emergency hatch." Four issues, imo.
One issue: (poss) lack of adequate signage directing passengers to hatch-exit. Any USCG reg?

From sleeping state in own bunk, first waking, recognizing fire/danger, a passenger who knew stairway exit was blocked would then have to figure out or remember where the hatch is. Those on-board 'safety briefings' cover many topics fast. Small-ish exit sign in the vid did not appear to be lighted or self-luminous, i.e., the kind in public bldgs showing exit locations, to direct passengers toward hatch. Cost to remedy this, to install lighted signs is quite modest.
Possibly, footage of lighted sign(s) was edited out, may not be an issue.

^^^IOW Passengers looking for hatch-exit may not find it.
Second issue: hatch placement. Any USCG reg?
After remembering/figuring out hatch location, passenger goes to bunk w the hatch above, then starts these actions:

1. Step on built-in rungs or step on mattress of lower bunk, then middle bunk.
2. Pull to get upper torso onto top bunk (mattress top was at tall-ish man's arm-pit level) w only ~18" - 28'' to maneuver in, between mattress and ceiling.
3. W upper torso on top bunk, swing legs onto top bunk.
4. Push wood piece straight up thru opening to free it, then push it out of way.
5. Reposition self to put head - and arms? - thru opening.
6. Manipulate rest of self thru the opening.
That's a lotta time-consuming finagling, imo.

Third issue: Hatch Size. Any USCG reg?
How big is the opening? 2 by 2 ft? 2 1/2 by Seems only children (~10-12 y/o?) or short, thin-ish adults could navigate this hatch easily, but. all passengers using emergency exits need get out quickly.
^^^IOW, hatch placement & size impede passenger egress thru emergency exit
Would a ladder be faster, easier & safer? Even passengers w no ladder-climbing experience have used stairs, so little/no learning curve. A disadvantage to boat owner would be (three?) fewer bunks, so lost revenue, but not nearly so much as adding a second stairway (more bunks and $ lost).

Fourth issue, 'landing' location when emerging on dining room deck.
7. As passenger goes thru opening, must reposition body to fit thru the topside, a piece of furniture closes in three sides, w a counter on top (looks like an Ikea white-melamine, press-wood cabinet, or a lectern).
^^^ IOW, must turn to face in right direction, so may take longer to get thru.

Like @Sleuth15 said: hard to maneuver. True even in non-emergency situations.

And NTSB vid showed boat w bunkroom lights on, w man who was not half asleep, w no passenger or bulky objects occupying the bunk, w a man who knew of hatch location, etc.
all jmo, could be wrong.

I’m just reading through so not sure if this was discussed....but what if there was a person unconscious on the top bunk where the escape hatch is? Smoke rises, so what if the person in that bunk had died already or just made unconscious by fumes and couldn’t be moved?

The Federal laws regarding shipping (which were posted last week in connection with the night watch issue) refer to the tonnage to which some (maybe all) of those laws apply. 500 tons sounds right. I googled it at the time to see how large of a ship that would be. It's large. As you might expect, since the laws govern commercial shipping.

Authorities conducting a criminal investigation into the deadly scuba diving boat fire that killed 34 people off the coast of Southern California plan to interview previous patrons of the boat company to determine what kind of safety information they were provided during trips, a law enforcement source said.

Investigators will ask the patrons about possible safety violations and what they saw on the boat during their excursions with Truth Aquatics Inc., according to the source, who has knowledge of the evidence collected under search warrants in Santa Barbara.

The source was not authorized to comment publicly and spoke to The Associated Press on Monday on the condition of anonymity.

The source also said investigators collected electronics, employee and training records, and business documents during search warrants executed at the company’s office and remaining two vessels.
Authorities hope to interview previous scuba boat passengers

It is interesting that the BATFE (or ATF) is involved. From their webpage:

ATF's responsibilities include the investigation and prevention of federal offenses involving the unlawful use, manufacture, and possession of firearms and explosives; acts of arson and bombings; and illegal trafficking of alcohol and tobacco products. ...Many of ATF's activities are carried out in conjunction with task forces made up of state and local law enforcement officers.... ATF operates a unique fire research laboratory in Beltsville, Maryland, where full-scale mock-ups of criminal arson can be reconstructed.

What We Do | Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives

It does bring up thoughts about the person still missing and if that could indeed be related to the investigation in some way. IMHO I would imagine that they would have to tread lightly on what they say about that at this point, since the person could very well still be trapped in the boat or possibly missing at sea.

I have wondered whether the person who is still missing was very close to the origination of the fire. I'm not ruling out an explosion, even a small one, which could be the sound that was heard.

If that's the case, the remains may be difficult to identify and/or find but could still be found on the vessel once they get it out of the water.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back