CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange Co, 27 Jul 2009 - #19

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched a newscast of the time of the event, and it was reported that Bob was "legally blind". I hadn't come across that before. Wow. So he was 'last seen' by his SIL with his hat on, but had no glasses with him. Interesting.

We discussed that at the time of his disappearance. Fontelle said the first thing he did when he awoke was put his glasses on. There was absolutely no way he would go for a walk without them.

We discussed that at the time of his disappearance. Fontelle said the first thing he did when he awoke was put his glasses on. There was absolutely no way he would go for a walk without them.
I was thinking if someone (like the SIL's wife or the SIL) had taken him to Home Depot, that would explain the hat.. but not the glasses, but if the glasses were only for reading, then it wouldn't matter.. but.. if he was "legally blind", he wouldn't be going ANYwhere or even being in the house, without his glasses on... but yet.. the SIL says he last saw him wearing a hat. Wouldn't it be pretty weird to be wearing your sun hat in the house? But yet that is where the SIL says he last saw him. Doesn't add up, think SIL screwed up when he said he was wearing his hat.

Is it possible that the housekeeper could have gotten her dates wrong when she said she'd talked to him on the phone *that day*? Could it have been on the Sunday (day prior) instead?

I'm going to be very happy, if the people involved aren't "involved" with the family in any way. It will go a long way to restore my faith in humanity. It would certainly be a wild coincidence, considering what was going on at the time he "disappeared". It would be great to learn that certain people are just rotten human beings, but not murderers.

I've been involved with Robert's case, since he went missing. I belonged to another forum. The daughters started a thread the night of, or after he disappeared. They shredded Robert's personality. We tried to put it down to shock, and being afraid, but they were relentless.

A bunch of us wouldn't let that sit, and we were suspended. Then they banned us. Lo and behold they showed up at another, and a bunch of us got banned from that one too lolol We ended up here.

It's why we became suspicious of them. They spoke so poorly of him. I've been hooked on this case, since that first night I spoke with the girls.

I pray this vindicates them, and their husbands.

Last edited:
Have been following this case from a distance.

I admit I'm more suspicious of the family than of Fontelle.
And that grandson who'd borrowed money and stopped paying it back after bob's disappearance ??
Hmmm...

Have been following this case from a distance.

I admit I'm more suspicious of the family than of Fontelle.
And that grandson who'd borrowed money and stopped paying it back after bob's disappearance ??
Hmmm...
Speaking of the grandson who'd borrowed money... just wondering if it had earlier been said or determined by members, which daughter the grandson belonged to?

I see from Bob's first wife's obit, that the couple had only one grandchild at the time of her death, (and who had a spouse and 3 children (great grandchildren for Bob and Georgia) of his own).

Speaking of the grandson who'd borrowed money... just wondering if it had earlier been said or determined by members, which daughter the grandson belonged to?

I see from Bob's first wife's obit, that the couple had only one grandchild at the time of her death, (and who had a spouse and 3 children (great grandchildren for Bob and Georgia) of his own).

The grandson is the son of Julie and Jeff. Correct me if I am wrong..

The grandson is the son of Julie and Jeff. Correct me if I am wrong..
Thank you, that is the same info I came up with after researching. Interesting!

I am wondering if Bob had been aware on the previous evening, that SIL would be showing up first thing next morning to do some repairs on his house? Are we assuming that Bob had asked him to do this, and/or that he knew the plans? The fam was gathered at the home the day before, for an uncomfortable family meeting about finances and presumably future plans to include Bob's new wife. He spoke to his new bride afterward. Does anyone know if he mentioned the next morning's reno plans to Fontelle?

Also, it is said that Fontelle spoke on the phone to B twice a day during the time after she went home to pack up her stuff.. in the morning and in the evening.. does anyone know the 'usual' time of the 'morning call'? Fontelle's last phonecall with him was on Sunday evening, but I'm wondering why they didn't speak the next morning, since it was customary for them to talk in the mornings as well. Is there an explanation for this? Or is it more likely that B went 'missing' much earlier than stated?

I believe, and hopefully someone will correct me, he is Julie's son. There was a change in last name; some weirdness there re: his name. I'll have to look when I get back from the doc.

Thank you, that is the same info I came up with after researching. Interesting!

I am wondering if Bob had been aware on the previous evening, that SIL would be showing up first thing next morning to do some repairs on his house? Are we assuming that Bob had asked him to do this, and/or that he knew the plans? The fam was gathered at the home the day before, for an uncomfortable family meeting about finances and presumably future plans to include Bob's new wife. He spoke to his new bride afterward. Does anyone know if he mentioned the next morning's reno plans to Fontelle?

Also, it is said that Fontelle spoke on the phone to B twice a day during the time after she went home to pack up her stuff.. in the morning and in the evening.. does anyone know the 'usual' time of the 'morning call'? Fontelle's last phonecall with him was on Sunday evening, but I'm wondering why they didn't speak the next morning, since it was customary for them to talk in the mornings as well. Is there an explanation for this? Or is it more likely that B went 'missing' much earlier than stated?

Yes Bob had his SIL doing some maintenance work in the house in preparation of Fontelle arriving. And, if I recall correctly it was planned that his SIL would be there that day.

Your other query re Fontelle’s morning phone call...I can’t remember the details offhand.

I believe, and hopefully someone will correct me, he is Julie's son. There was a change in last name; some weirdness there re: his name. I'll have to look when I get back from the doc.

IIRC both Julie & her husband Jeff changed their surname; later their son changed his surname to Harrod; Robert was part of the son's name.

JMHO YMMV LRR

IIRC both Julie & her husband Jeff changed their surname; later their son changed his surname to Harrod; Robert was part of the son's name.

JMHO YMMV LRR
I figured there had been a birth at a young age, prior to marriage, while single and still having maiden name, and hence the naming of her offspring with same. ... and then at some later date mom married and took her husb's name, while said offspring carried on with the name given at birth.

ETA - the pertinent dates helped me come to that conclusion.

I figured there had been a birth at a young age, prior to marriage, while single and still having maiden name, and hence the naming of her offspring with same. ... and then at some later date mom married and took her husb's name, while said offspring carried on with the name given at birth.

ETA - the pertinent dates helped me come to that conclusion.

No link, that's not the sequence presented. The husband's original surname has negative connotations as an English word. IIRC, a variation of his middle name became their surname. The son changed his surname to Grandpa's in adulthood.

Paywall, but look closely for the wedding announcement:

Arcadia Tribune from Arcadia, California on August 14, 1977 · Page 6

From Post #1060, Thread #18:

It's peculiar. Julie (Bob's youngest daughter) and Jeff Michaels are Andrew Harrod's parents. Only Jeff Michaels wasn't always known by that name, as he changed it from Finke/Fink. Can't recollect now. Julie seems to have changed hers too, to Harrod-Michaels with a hyphen, when it suits her.

Then their son Andrew Michaels, who had all those complicated loans with Bob that edged towards a million dollars, changed his middle and last name, so he became Andrew Robert Harrod. In his court deposition, it was revealed that it may have led to some accidental confusion with Bob's financial advisor. Andrew somehow ended up reading an email or maybe two, meant for Bob.

I'm sure Andrew Michaels AKA Andrew Robert Harrod informed anyone who made that mistake straight away though.

from our beloved @zwiebel.

No link, that's not the sequence presented. The husband's original surname has negative connotations as an English word. IIRC, a variation of his middle name became their surname. The son changed his surname to Grandpa's in adulthood.

It's peculiar. Julie (Bob's youngest daughter) and Jeff Michaels are Andrew Harrod's parents. Only Jeff Michaels wasn't always known by that name, as he changed it from Finke/Fink. Can't recollect now. Julie seems to have changed hers too, to Harrod-Michaels with a hyphen, when it suits her.

Then their son Andrew Michaels, who had all those complicated loans with Bob that edged towards a million dollars, changed his middle and last name, so he became Andrew Robert Harrod. In his court deposition, it was revealed that it may have led to some accidental confusion with Bob's financial advisor. Andrew somehow ended up reading an email or maybe two, meant for Bob.

I'm sure Andrew Michaels AKA Andrew Robert Harrod informed anyone who made that mistake straight away though.

Thanks for the info. I am unable to see anything in that announcement, is it possible to post it in a larger jpg format?

Thanks for the info. I am unable to see anything in that announcement, is it possible to post it in a larger jpg format?

If you choose to purchase a subscription, I suppose. IIRC, wedding announcements for the 3 daughters are posted upthread.

Not interested enough in their genealogy to take that August 1977 date & run with it.

Oh, well. When your only tool is a hammer, everything looks like a nail:

according to the California Marriage Index, 1960-1985, the newspaper published a report of an event that occurred July 15, 1977.

Bob & Fontelle, all the best to you!

Yes! This is the scenario surrounding the names. Thank you for digging on this!
On/Off topic - It appears Andrew Robert Harrod is no longer in Placentia, so he would not be one of the POI's listed in the current article??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CindyW1974