CA CA - Bob Harrod, 81, Orange County, 27 July 2009 - #16

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Help, my US friends! When a person sneers and is condescending/unpleasant about someone in the US, what word do you use to describe it? Whenever I use the english word (that begins with s but isn't sneer or snicker) it gets starred. Is it snicker that you use?

Wow, it must be quite the word you are typing into your posts, lol.

Honest, it is nothing remarkable at all in England, certainly not rude. I'm just trying to work out what word you guys use instead, but I can't find it. I've only had this experience once before, but that was when I posted the name of a meatball-type dish that is favored in the north of England. And I knew why that one got deleted. You wouldn't want to eat them anyway - yukky things.

I've only recently started getting into this case, and part of the reason why I'm so haunted by it is because of the horrendous money disputes in my own family. If anyone out there doubts that family members could do the unthinkable for money, trust me: family members, even ones who have seemed totally "normal" in the past, can turn on you in a heartbeat if they think (correctly or incorrectly) that some sort of inheritance of theirs is in peril.

I won't bore you with the details (no crimes were involved, fortunately!), but my own family has completely fallen apart over this very issue. Some people can and will take drastic, extreme measures if they even get an inkling of an idea that "their" money is in danger.

I don't want to believe any members of Bob's family are behind his disappearance, but the scant evidence that we know of doesn't seem to point towards anyone else...:moo:

Help, my US friends! When a person sneers and is condescending/unpleasant about someone in the US, what word do you use to describe it? Whenever I use the english word (that begins with s but isn't sneer or snicker) it gets starred. Is it snicker that you use?

We use snicker, too.

or mock, ridicule, belittle, taunt, deride

snooty, snotty, pretentious, arrogant, egotistical, scornful, contemptuous, disrespectful, disparaging, snide, derogatory

Spicy Sun came up with those words while I was looking them up. Thanks. Saved me posting them. Only addition I could make would be sarcastic.

SheRa and Spicy Sun, welcome to Bob Harrod's thread. All interested posters are welcome here.

Now I wish I knew what word you were using!

Smarmy might be close but not right on, since it implies a sort of sucking up.

"Supercilious" seems to me to be the word to use.

Okay, here's a way of letting you know. Seems to be an American, an English and an Australian person discussing where the word is used, then the discussion takes a detour onto chocolate and horses..they settle on 'snickers' being the right replacement, I think.

Fascinatingly, I also know none of you use the word roundabout (driving-wise)......except for Iowa. Iowa's special.

Here is the 'dictionary' I usually refer to. I'm not sure how much it helps me because I often don't realize what I should look up - the sneakers/trainers mistake I made is a case in point. It's in this dictionary, but if Oriah hadn't mentioned it I'd never have known I was suggesting Bob was wearing some kind of special footwear for athletes.
http://www.bg-map.com/us-uk.html

***ETA, no it isn't - the word was in the link. I'm settling for snicker now - that'll do fine.

Of course, much of this worrying over tiny nuances of language becomes pretty unimportant when nobody has yet stepped up to tell us clearly what Bob was wearing on the day he disappeared.

I've often seen police pictures of items of clothing/accessories/footwear of missing people, that police have tracked down in stores and made public to help people recognize anything they might find.

Maybe this isn't something Placentia Police normally does - or maybe they don't have enough information to do so, in Bob's case.

Or maybe they are not entirely confident about the information they have been given...

Good morning Mr Harrod. You are gaining a social media profile that would put someone a quarter of your age to shame. So many people want to see you brought home, you will not be forgotten.

I just read about another missing person's friends who arranged for a cafe to print paper cups with the person's picture and details. What a great idea.

Would someone mind collecting the FB Page addresses that show ACTIVE ;) attempts at raising the profile of his case and put them on a post in the media links page? It will help some of the msm target their search for information.

ETA: I am not being lazy-I have been slammed off the boards with Bob's case so I have been doing drive by's here...

Mmmm, well I think the useless fb page is quite a story in itself, but I know what you mean.

I will do it.

That's annoying. I can't reach the thread itself through the link in my sig, because it only goes to a single post. I'll have to do something about that, I think.

O/T A thought for 75-year old James Marr in Vermont, everyone. He's very vulnerable, living alone in a mobile home and took a walk four days ago. He's still not been found. Doesn't look as though there's any family around. All the luck in the world to the K9s searching for him.

The useful facebook pages are at the top of my sig now.

I know it's getting a bit crowded. I'll think of a way to tidy it up soon.

Oh, I should have put FB links, not pages. People will think they can click and go straight to the fb page. I'll change it.

ETA: Done. Nothing like making a simple task difficult for myself, is there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck