CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

In a way, I hope it’s him and there is some kind of closure for his parents. 6 years of not knowing........ya know?

Its a little ways from Castaic but he’s had 6 years to get there.

My money is on schizophrenia. He’s the age that young men first show signs of it. So he could very well be homeless as many with schizophrenia are. My next door neighbor is schizophrenic and I’ve witness the behaviors of those afflicted with this mental illness.

That’s my opinion anyway.

In a way, I hope it’s him and there is some kind of closure for his parents. 6 years of not knowing........ya know?

My money is on schizophrenia. He’s the age that young men first show signs of it. So he could very well be homeless as many with schizophrenia are. My next door neighbor is schizophrenic and I’ve witness the behaviors of those afflicted with this mental illness.

It's about 17 miles away from Castaic: خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
The remains found were said to be "concealed" in the location they were found and only revealed by the recent fire. Sounds suspicious and probably not a case of someone wandering into that location and perishing by accident. MOO.

That’s what I thought. If he was using Adderall that could’ve triggered the onset. But it was likely already there waiting to emerge.

He was wandering and seemed to be wanting to go to a place where no one could locate him. Probably paranoid.

17 miles would take about 8 hours walking or so from where his car was.

It's about 17 miles away from Castaic: خرائط ‪Google‬‏‏
The remains found were said to be "concealed" in the location they were found and only revealed by the recent fire. Sounds suspicious and probably not a case of someone wandering into that location and perishing by accident. MOO.

That doesn’t mean intentionally concealed. If a person falls in dense brush and succumbs it is likely that their body will be concealed from view.

That doesn’t mean intentionally concealed. If a person falls in dense brush and succumbs it is likely that their body will be concealed from view.

You're absolutely right gitana1. They are saying the brush hiding the remains was burned away. But they are also saying the location is suspicious.

The latest from CNN:

"We believe that it was concealed in brush and then the fire burned away the concealment and it's led to the discovery," Lt. Derrick Alfred told CNN affiliate KCAL.

[...]

The area is remote, affiliate footage showed.
There are no houses nearby, the roads wind around mountains and hills are steep.
So authorities have launched an investigation.

"It's definitely suspicious just on the location alone," Alfred told the affiliate. "I mean, it's not a common place where a person may fall ill and die."

Detectives found year-old remains in a Southern California area burned by the Tick Fire - CNN

That doesn't mean someone lost and wandering aimlessly couldn't have ended up there. I think 17 miles is totally possible for someone walking. But my thinking went to foul play because of that statement about the location. Either way, I hope they are able to identify the person and figure out what happened. MOO.

You're absolutely right gitana1. They are saying the brush hiding the remains was burned away. But they are also saying the location is suspicious.

The latest from CNN:

"We believe that it was concealed in brush and then the fire burned away the concealment and it's led to the discovery," Lt. Derrick Alfred told CNN affiliate KCAL.

[...]

The area is remote, affiliate footage showed.
There are no houses nearby, the roads wind around mountains and hills are steep.
So authorities have launched an investigation.

"It's definitely suspicious just on the location alone," Alfred told the affiliate. "I mean, it's not a common place where a person may fall ill and die."

Detectives found year-old remains in a Southern California area burned by the Tick Fire - CNN

That doesn't mean someone lost and wandering aimlessly couldn't have ended up there. I think 17 miles is totally possible for someone walking. But my thinking went to foul play because of that statement about the location. Either way, I hope they are able to identify the person and figure out what happened. MOO.

How close is it to a road?

If it turns out it is Bryce, the remains are a year old, Bryce has been missing for 6 years. If he were homeless, he could have lived somewhere around that area for years, gotten sick last year and while foraging, succumbed to being sick. All guessing and speculation, of course since we have no clue what happened to Bryce.

Are we waiting on DNA results, does anyone know?

I would think they should be able to extract tissue for DNA analysis from bones or teeth, despite the body being badly burned
( if they have the ‘will’ & the resources available to identify these remains)

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/20961790.2018.1515594

Below is an extract from the forensic science paper ( linked above) which I found interesting.

”The generation of a DNA profile from bones and teeth is an important part of the identification process in both mass disaster and unidentified remains cases. Skeletal elements are often the only biological materials remaining after exposure to environmental conditions, intense heat, certain traumatic events, and in cases where a significant amount of time has passed since the death of the individual”

Last edited:
Are we waiting on DNA results, does anyone know?

I would think they should be able to extract tissue for DNA analysis from bones or teeth, despite the body being badly burned
( if they have the ‘will’ & the resources available to identify these remains)

https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/20961790.2018.1515594

Below is an extract from the forensic science paper ( linked above) which I found interesting.

”The generation of a DNA profile from bones and teeth is an important part of the identification process in both mass disaster and unidentified remains cases. Skeletal elements are often the only biological materials remaining after exposure to environmental conditions, intense heat, certain traumatic events, and in cases where a significant amount of time has passed since the death of the individual”

According to this article the body wasn’t burned.

snip...

The discovered body is not believed to be the result of the Tick Fire, according to Arteaga.

“The human remains are not burned as of this time, they were just remains found in a burned area,” said Arteaga, at approximately 3:10 p.m. on Saturday.

As investigators worked on the scene they said the public works employee had discovered a human skeleton that they believe to have been in the area for more than a year, according to Lt. Derrick Alfred, LASD Homicide Bureau.

“We don’t have any reason to believe that this is a victim of this fire or previous fires,” said Alfred. “It looks like the body may have been concealed up here or was here in the vegetation and after the fire, the body was revealed and found by the public.”

UPDATE: Human remains discovered in Tick Fire area

I’m curious why you think it probably is Bryce. (I’m not doubting you; I would just like to know more about what you’re thinking.)

I'm sorry, I don't think that (or NOT think that). I was responding to Richard's question in green in his post about whether the link he posted was the same unidentified person we've recently been discussing. Hope that makes sense.

According to this article the body wasn’t burned.

snip...

The discovered body is not believed to be the result of the Tick Fire, according to Arteaga.

“The human remains are not burned as of this time, they were just remains found in a burned area,” said Arteaga, at approximately 3:10 p.m. on Saturday.

As investigators worked on the scene they said the public works employee had discovered a human skeleton that they believe to have been in the area for more than a year, according to Lt. Derrick Alfred, LASD Homicide Bureau.

“We don’t have any reason to believe that this is a victim of this fire or previous fires,” said Alfred. “It looks like the body may have been concealed up here or was here in the vegetation and after the fire, the body was revealed and found by the public.”

UPDATE: Human remains discovered in Tick Fire area

“They believe [the remains] to have been in the area for more than a year. So, if it’s Bryce, he could have died a day after he disappeared. 17 miles would be quite a ways to walk, though.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx
Back