CA CA - Bryce Laspisa, 19, Castaic, 30 Aug 2013 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw the episode last week. There wasn't much that was new, in fact, I think we have more information here.

I think that even though he wasn't drinking or doing drugs at the time, I think his prior drug use in the days before caught up with him at that time. I also believe he had a psychotic break. Something serious was going on with him to sit in the same spot in BW for that long, like he was paralyzed mentally.

I think he intentionally crashed his vehicle, maybe in a suicidal state, but survived it. Only to leave it there and go off and try again somewhere. Him giving his stuff away before he left Nor Cal is very telling. He probably made the decision days before and the 13 hours in BW was to get the courage to do it. He probably only ended up going south because of the pressure, from the phone calls and Christian and the police. He never did say he was going home.

I had hopes for a long time that he was still alive, but I no longer believe that to be true.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but there were so many red flags going on from friends, roommates, ex-gf, and his own confusion about where he was and what he was doing, that a drive to meet up with him would have been advised.

This whole thing is just so tragic. My heart goes out to his parents.

I agree Seajay, I don't think so either. I always keep a little hope but it seems so unlikely.

Hindsight and all, I think he never should have been given the keys back to begin with. For someone acting so strangely, sleep deprived, on some type of drug, he shouldn't have been driving. His ex knew to take away the keys to begin with. I'm not blaming her or Bryce's parents, but he never should have gotten the keys back. If his Mom was so worried that she wanted to see him, she should have been the one to make the drive IMO. The drive from where Bryce was to Buttonwillow is pretty long, and I would think fairly dangerous for someone in such a mental state.

Once he got to Buttonwillow they didn't really know he was going to stay there so long. After they had people check on him they did, but by then who knows when he was going to leave and where to. That's a very busy Interstate. If they didn't know exactly where to find him, there was a reasonable possibility of them bypassing each other on the road. It's a tough call, do you stay home assuming he'll be there soon, or do you go out and hope you don't miss him along the highway?

My heart goes out to all of them.

I agree Seajay, I don't think so either. I always keep a little hope but it seems so unlikely.

Hindsight and all, I think he never should have been given the keys back to begin with. For someone acting so strangely, sleep deprived, on some type of drug, he shouldn't have been driving. His ex knew to take away the keys to begin with. I'm not blaming her or Bryce's parents, but he never should have gotten the keys back. If his Mom was so worried that she wanted to see him, she should have been the one to make the drive IMO. The drive from where Bryce was to Buttonwillow is pretty long, and I would think fairly dangerous for someone in such a mental state.

Once he got to Buttonwillow they didn't really know he was going to stay there so long. After they had people check on him they did, but by then who knows when he was going to leave and where to. That's a very busy Interstate. If they didn't know exactly where to find him, there was a reasonable possibility of them bypassing each other on the road. It's a tough call, do you stay home assuming he'll be there soon, or do you go out and hope you don't miss him along the highway?

My heart goes out to all of them.

I agree that it's hard to know if a drive should have been taken to BW. And with the police saying he seemed fine, lucid and all, I can see why there wasn't much of a worry. However, him being there for so long, after so many calls from Mom, the visits from Christian, and the police, somehow it should have clicked that something was going on, something was wrong.

I wonder how he was acting so weird to the ex and friends, but then straightened up when he talked to Mom, to convince her he was fine.

That is a long drive, I've taken it a few times myself, but this went on for way too long. From the time in the morning when the parents got the road service call, to all the other ones in all that time, alarm bells should have been ringing so loud, they shouldn't have been able to hear their own heartbeats.

I'm sure that many times since that night, those choices have been revisited and his parents wish they'd made different ones, knowing what they know now. But don't we all?

I agree that it's hard to know if a drive should have been taken to BW. And with the police saying he seemed fine, lucid and all, I can see why there wasn't much of a worry. However, him being there for so long, after so many calls from Mom, the visits from Christian, and the police, somehow it should have clicked that something was going on, something was wrong.

I wonder how he was acting so weird to the ex and friends, but then straightened up when he talked to Mom, to convince her he was fine.

That is a long drive, I've taken it a few times myself, but this went on for way too long. From the time in the morning when the parents got the road service call, to all the other ones in all that time, alarm bells should have been ringing so loud, they shouldn't have been able to hear their own heartbeats.

I'm sure that many times since that night, those choices have been revisited and his parents wish they'd made different ones, knowing what they know now. But don't we all?

I only learnt of this case last night after watching the Disappeared Episode, I can not imagine the guilt and pain the parents must feel as a parent my myself there's no way i could of just sat there waiting hoping he'll manage to get home, If only one of them had set off when they got the roadside assistance call in the morning i know that's what i would've done the poor lad needed urgent mental health help, it's was only a 3 hour drive to Buttonwillow wasn't it?.
How often does this happen after taking the drug he was taking is it rare if not it needs to be made a hell of lot harder for college kids to get somehow.

If Bryce committed suicide, I think he intentionally did not want to be found. he hid.

If Bryce committed suicide, I think he intentionally did not want to be found. he hid.

That's pretty awful. And if that's the case, his mother was in denial thinking they had such a great relationship. So many of these cases, the parents are, sadly, clueless.

That's pretty awful. And if that's the case, his mother was in denial thinking they had such a great relationship. So many of these cases, the parents are, sadly, clueless.

They could have still had a great, close relationship even if he chose suicide. One has nothing to do with the other, IMO.

They could have still had a great, close relationship even if he chose suicide. One has nothing to do with the other, IMO.
In this particular case, I disagree. Bryce obviously didn't feel close enough or that mom was non-judgemental enough to tell her what was wrong. And mom is minimizing his drug use as normal, when even though he said "I'm okay to drive", his girlfriend who knew him well was concerned enough to take away his keys.

they may have been close as he grew up. then maybe he began to struggle and didn't let her know.

I only learnt of this case last night after watching the Disappeared Episode, I can not imagine the guilt and pain the parents must feel as a parent my myself there's no way i could of just sat there waiting hoping he'll manage to get home, If only one of them had set off when they got the roadside assistance call in the morning i know that's what i would've done the poor lad needed urgent mental health help, it's was only a 3 hour drive to Buttonwillow wasn't it?.
How often does this happen after taking the drug he was taking is it rare if not it needs to be made a hell of lot harder for college kids to get somehow.

Re: the bolded, it's closer to 4-4.5 hours. I suppose you can probably make it in 3 if you're flying, but I kind of doubt he was in a rush.

I'm not sure on your last question, but I have heard that it's extremely common on college campuses now.

Re: the bolded, it's closer to 4-4.5 hours. I suppose you can probably make it in 3 if you're flying, but I kind of doubt he was in a rush.

I'm not sure on your last question, but I have heard that it's extremely common on college campuses now.
No, nik, that's only if there's traffic. From Castaic to the S.F. Valley- about 30 min., from there to Orange County- 2 hours. I grew up in the S.F. Valley. Okay from Buttonwillow to the Valley - 2 hours + 2 hours to Orange County. So from Buttonwillow to Laguna Niguel, yeah 4 hours.

No, nik, that's only if there's traffic. From Castaic to the S.F. Valley- about 30 min., from there to Orange County- 2 hours. I grew up in the S.F. Valley. Okay from Buttonwillow to the Valley - 2 hours + 2 hours to Orange County. So from Buttonwillow to Laguna Niguel, yeah 4 hours.

Sorry I should have clarified - I meant Roseville/Rocklin area to Buttonwillow. ETA: so the first part of Bryce's drive.

Sorry I should have clarified - I meant Roseville/Rocklin area to Buttonwillow. ETA: so the first part of Bryce's drive.
For that drive I'd estimate 6 hours.

Just watched the disappeared episode so that's all the information I have. This is such a sad and chilling situation. I personally believe he committed suicide. There are so many signs pointing to this scenario. The drug use, the giving away of prized possessions, and the way he sat for hours at the rest stop. Maybe he was just thinking over his life, or working up the nerve to go through with his plan. But I think the biggest indicator of suicide is how he purposely drove over that cliff. (His body could be in that lake, it's a big lake and I don't know if they have confirmed to have searched it all? and what they did search was inconclusive.) The drug he was taking could have easily caused him to have a psychotic break or aggravated a underlying psychological condition he didn't even know he had. I know the lake area seems like an odd location, but for all we know he could have planned to take his life there. And I think if he was out there living a new life somewhere, someone would have seen him by now. I also think he was still alive he would have contacted his parents by now. I do believe they had a strong relationship.

Still some things don't add up. Why was his GPS set to go to his parents address if he was suicidal? What did he want to talk to his mom about? Why wouldn't he just tell his parents bye?

Such a sad story. His poor parents. But I do hope and pray that he will come home. Miracles happen.

The NAMUS site says the deceased's pants were 30x34 and a size 9 shoe. That should be easy to verify. I bet Bryce wore bigger than a 9 shoe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then why did Mom say she would fly out there the next day if it's like a 9-10 hour drive?

I live in OC CA and I knew it wasn't that far. I just looked it up on google maps. Roseville to Laguna is only 7hrs 28min.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MLCS