CA- Catholic Bishop. 69. found shot to death in his home in Hacienda Heights, Los Angeles, Feb. 18, 2023

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is reportedly the connection

Few details were immediately available on the arrest. The suspect, a man who was apprehended in Torrance, is married to a woman who has been employed by the bishop, sources said, according to the linked article.
Yes, of course I read that. Gangs/disturbed individuals could both use a wife to gain access to the home, depending on how long they planned ahead...

There's also KTLA Channel 5. I'll try to find a link.

Last edited:
- the bishop suffered "at least one gunshot wound to the upper torso"

- no gun recovered

- surveillance footage caught a dark-colored SUV come into the house's driveway, stop for a few minutes, then leave

- Carlos Medina, 65 y/o Hispanic man, identified by tip

- "acting strange, irrational, made comments about the Bishop owing him money"

- drives similar vehicle to surveillance footage

- husband of the bishop's housekeeper, also did work at the bishop's home occasionally

- Medina was surrounded by police at his home, refused to surrender for several hours, finally left house and was arrested

- two guns and additional evidence recovered at his house

The Bishop was in his bedroom
firearm not recovered
no forced entry
canvassed neighbourhood for video\
determined to be a murder
discovered surveillance.. showing a car in the driveway and left after short time
Carlos Medina
made comments about the Bishop owing him money
Husband of Bishop's housekeeper
Medina had also done some work for the Bishop

Community member of Medina's neighbourhood that he had returned after not being there befor

Here now
From the news conference (live feed linked above, will try and find an archived link):

- No sign of forced entry
- Detectives found surveillance footage of a "dark-colored compact SUV" pulling into the bishop's driveway before leaving a short time later
- The suspect, 65-year-old Carlos Medina, lived in the 2400 blk of Kenwood Avenue in Torrance. Police received a tip that Medina had left LA County and was believed to be in the central California area.
- Medina is the husband of the bishop's housekeeper and had previously done work around the house.
- Police later received a tip from a community member that Medina had returned to his residence in Torrance

..."tied to a woman with access to the home"
what on earth was the perp's motive? Robbery, attempted robbery?
I guess we will know more at the PC.

This is so tragic.
In the last couple of decades, I've learned that things in the upper echelons of churches are sometimes not how they appear to a person in the diocese/parish/bishopric or the community at large. "Owing money" has interesting reverberations to me that may have nothing to do with robbery. I'm waiting for a lot more detail from both sides before I'd get clarity about a backstory: it might even be until trial.

Last edited:
In the last couple of decades, I've learned that things in the upper echelons of churches are sometimes not how they appear to a person in the diocese/parish/bishopric or the community at large. "Owing money" has interesting reverberations to me that may have nothing to do with robbery. I'm waiting for a lot more detail from both sides before I'd get clarity about a backstory: it might even be until trial.
Now that we know that this man's wife was the Bishop's housekeeper for the last decade, and that this man also did some work around the Bishop's house, the initial thought this might be a robbery doesn't sound like the motive anymore.

He seemingly had a beef with the Bishop, regarding his owing him money....whether true or not.
It was also stated this guy was acting "irrational" lately, so it makes me wonder whether his mind was completely sound.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fangirl88
Back