CA CA- Channel Islands Harbor, Oxnard, W of LA, Ventura Jane Doe, #UP15170, partial skeletal remains, Oct. '85 - Gertrude Elliot, born in 1865.

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

dotr

Reaction score
1717032351344.png
''In May 2023, the Ventura County Sheriff's Office in collaboration with the Ventura County Medical Examiner's Office, submitted forensic evidence to Othram in the Woodlands, Texas to determine if advanced DNA testing could help identify the woman. Othram scientists successfully developed a DNA extract from the provided evidence and used Forensic-Grade Genome Sequencing® to build a comprehensive DNA profile for the unknown woman. Othram’s in-house forensic genetic genealogy team then used this profile to conduct extensive genetic genealogy research, ultimately providing new investigative leads to law enforcement.

Using this new information, a follow-up investigation was conducted leading investigators to potential relatives of the woman. A reference sample was collected from a potential relative and compared to the DNA profile of the woman. which led to the positive identification of the woman, who is now known to be Gertrude Elliot, born in 1865. While Elliot died in 1915 and was buried, law enforcement received a tip several decades ago that a grave had been robbed and a skull was taken. This was Elliot's grave that had been disturbed. Despite Elliot having died nearly 110 years ago, Othram scientists were able to successfully extract DNA from these skeletal remains, build an ultra-sensitive DNA profile, and perform the genealogical research to identify Elliot's displaced remains.''

As usual with Othram announcements, Gertrude's photo was altered for the article. Knowing it wasn't colored when originally taken, I edited it so it's now in black-and-white.
Gertrude Elliot.jpg
1717032351344.png

It's a nice surprise to see that the reconstruction is actually pretty accurate, considering Gertrude had been dead for nearly 70 years before being found.

More people died back then at earlier ages, so it's less surprising that she died at that age then today. I tried to find her original grave on a Find a Grave, and I couldn't. I suppose it was probably teenagers or young adults fooling around who robbed her grave as they didn't keep her remains, or at least not all of them. The rest may have still been in her original grave, though.

As usual with Othram announcements, Gertrude's photo was altered for the article. Knowing it wasn't colored when originally taken, I edited it so it's now in black-and-white.
View attachment 506775
1717032351344.png

It's a nice surprise to see that the reconstruction is actually pretty accurate, considering Gertrude had been dead for nearly 70 years before being found.
Yeah, I was really impressed with the recon. It's a very good likeness. You can see it's the same person; her loved ones would have recognised her in it.

June 3, 2024
1717450366885.png
Gertrude Elliott-Littlehale in an undated photograph. The Wasp, a weekly magazine published in San Francisco, described her as “an accomplished musician, a delightful conversationalist and an observant traveler.”Credit...Othram
''The lab shared a color image of her based on a black-and-white image provided by her family that showed Ms. Elliott-Littlehale in a patterned scarf and a bonnet covering her light brown hair.''

More people died back then at earlier ages, so it's less surprising that she died at that age then today. I tried to find her original grave on a Find a Grave, and I couldn't. I suppose it was probably teenagers or young adults fooling around who robbed her grave as they didn't keep her remains, or at least not all of them. The rest may have still been in her original grave, though.
She was buried at the Elliott family's mausoleum in Stockton Rural Cemetery. Her husband died a few years later and was buried with his family.

She was buried at the Elliott family's mausoleum in Stockton Rural Cemetery. Her husband died a few years later and was buried with his family.

An old article said she left her husband, daughter and another relative $50,000, which is over $1.5 million today. I wonder what clothes and jewelry she was buried in.

I know nobody has said this but rest in peace, Gertrude. There's a 3/4 view facial recon of her and the nose and lips are spot-on. I wonder how they got the lips right, I hear that the thickness and shape are virtually impossible to reconstruct from the skull. This case reminds me of Henry Loveless who also died in the mid 1910s.

Just noting that some publications spell Elliott with 2 Ts.rbbm
''Investigators connected with potential relatives, and finally, a reference sample of DNA was taken from a possible family member. That DNA sample allowed police to identify the remains as that of Gertrude Elliott-Littlehale, who had been born in 1864 and died in 1915.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back