CA - Chelsea King (17) Rancho Bernardo (north San Diego County) #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this is the story you are thinking abouthttp://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/hunting/news/story?id=2075458 The article specifies that they searched all over for the boy, and could not find him, yet the bones were found in the vicinity.

The dogs might have some luck for an hour or so if the rain starts lightly, but after that (and if it gets to coming down really hard), the scent will be hard to find. The dogs should have had better luck this morning after the fog, as any scent that was on the surrounding bushes would have settled to the ground, but there was no report of any dog finding a scent to follow. Since they are asking for volunteers around noon, they probably figure that the dogs will no longer be of any help by then, and it's time to slowly walk the grid, looking for anything unusual that might be helpful. While it's good to pay attention to everything, pedometers and shoes (even single ones) are not that uncommon to find while out hiking. (I am constantly amazed at what I come across, even when not bush-whacking)

Yes, that was the story of the little boy you are correct. I know the father said he did not believe a cougar took his son away as he says he would of heard his sons scream if attacked by a cat. This is very faulty thinking on his part because mountain lions are that quick and they usually go for the throat of their victim thereby paralyzing their vocals immediately and crushing their windpipe. I have seen mountain lions attack my neighbors sheep on many occassions it is quick and precise and hardly a noise from the sheep that falls victim. It is very fast!

I must agree with you I also find many items when camping or hiking and I am never amazed with what people leave behind in our wilderness. I firmly believe what you take in you must take out.

Wildlife and wilderness can be enjoyable but it can be deadly as well. On one of my trips to the Colorado Mesa wilderness a friend of mine could hardly sleep in the tent constantly jumping up to any noise or crackle that was heard. I finally got them to go to sleep by telling them ...if you hear a noise outside the tent it is most likely deer or elk. My friend replied what about bear? I told them you will not hear a bear or a mountain lion. In the morning my friend replied they slept good but after thinking over what I had said they did not want to spend anymore nights in the wilderness.

Yes, I'm one of those people who pack out what I brought in, plus a good portion of what other people leave.

I must go put another coat of waterproofing on my boots. I'm in for a soggy day tomorrow, if they need me. I have a feeling the volunteer center will be packed, no matter what the weather.

Yes, I'm one of those people who pack out what I brought in, plus a good portion of what other people leave.

I must go put another coat of waterproofing on my boots. I'm in for a soggy day tomorrow, if they need me. I have a feeling the volunteer center will be packed, no matter what the weather.

Good Luck with the search, I hope you can bring her home. Be Safe.

KNSD 7/39 @ midnight:

There are still searchers out tonight searching through the night. They are retracing earlier steps to make sure nothing in the areas they most expected her to be are not missed when rains come tomorrow.

They are confirming the blouse in the photo that she was seen in on Tuesday (the rose coloured top) was found in the car.

They are finding a lot of abandoned items, including clothing and shoes, but that is not at all unexpected in the canyons.

Some special unmanned drones from SDSU are heading up - they are camera equipped and cover 5 miles in 15 minutes.

They were promoing what the FBI was theorizing for the last many hours but now have gone into Olympic coverage. If they share what the FBI thinks I'll post...after hours of various teasers about it I'm a little surprised they haven't said what that was!

I am really hopeful hearing about all the searching to find Chelsea. It's still possible she was injured in a remote spot and needs to be rescued. Just praying she can be found soon.

There may not have been any recent mountain lion sightings in this area, but they closed Blue Sky Reserve (one of our favorite hiking locations) not too far down the road from here due to frequent mountain lion sightings. We were planning to swing by this weekend to see if it had reopened. It is not inconceivable to think that there might have been a mountain lion out at Hodges. I wouldn't have even thought animal if there hadn't been all the recent sightings not that far away. It didn't take the fire long to spread and it would only take a mountain a few hours to take that same path to get to the Hodges area.

My mom takes my nephew to the park where Chelsea's car was parked once a week. My brother just nixed this for the rest of the month at least. Though this is a very tight knit and safe community (I'm a Poway High Grad), it doesn't make it safe. We were always told to exercise caution and not allowed to run alone. We had to use the buddy system (not that it made us any safer). I graduated in the 80s. I know people get complacent and think they are safe but as women (young and old), we NEVER are. Not even when we have our dogs with us.

They did say tonight on the news that they wouldn't comment further on the shoe and pedometer. They also cautioned us against spreading rumors and to verify anything we hear before passing it along. They don't want to complicate matters. Like TravelingBug said, it's not uncommon to see articles of clothing back there. I don't think it's just from the migrant workers who camp there. I've lost a sweatshirt or other items walking/jogging with my hubby before. When you are far enough into the loop, you just say forget it.

Prayers for Chelsea. I have many friends and family members who will be volunteering. I'll be in Temecula for a memorial or I would be out there. This is very, very scary. I'm hoping this has a happy ending, but bracing for the worst.

A mountain lion crossed my mind when I first heard about this too. They can be anywhere, my Mom saw one while hunting in southeast Iowa and no one believed her.

Yes, mountain lions are an unpredictable risk.

Best of luck to the searchers today. Hopefully there will be some good news.

The FBI is now involved in a missing girl case in Poway, looking into the possibility that Chelsea King may have been abducted. Investigators have taken Chelsea’s computer and cell phone into custody, according to Sheriff Bill Gore.
Friends, neighbors and family members joined search and rescue teams from San Diego, Santa Barbara and Riverside counties as well as San Diego police to search a web of running trails just south of Lake Hodges Friday looking for the Poway High School student who has been missing since Thursday afternoon.

Source: Missing Teen May Have Been Abducted: FBI | NBC San Diego

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/Search-Underway-for-Missing-Poway-Teen-85480472.html

was this what you all were looking for? (re: the direction the fbi is thinking?) I hope she is found safely!

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Has the possibility that Chelsea may have had plans to meet up with a jogging partner at the park been ruled out? Surely, there would have been clues on her cell phone if she had. Did she usually jog with a friend, or was it routine for her to jog alone? It sounds like a popular trail...wonder who else is a regular there, and if they have offered to help police with any observations?

I was really hoping to log on this morning and see she had been found safe. But, that's not the case :(

I'm really glad, however, that TES and the FBI are there and I pray that helps bring Chelsea home.

Not sure if this has been discussed, but has it been said if Chelsea has a boyfriend?

I have to say that I am really impressed with the search effort to find Chelsea.........you don't usually see such a huge turnout of volunteers. I am so glad everyone seems to be working together to find Chelsea and bring her home.

I found her FB page. I'm not posting, because of her age. It is private anyway.

Just checking into see if she has been found. Very sad. Please let her be found today....

Thankful for Tes and FBI are getting involved. Theres a family missing in Omaha where they are using unmanned drones, programmed to fly over the search area, equipped with cameras capturing thousands of high-resolution digital images from 400 feet above the ground. It says you are able to zoom into the image and notice anything that is out of place.

The infrared images can capture anything, from tire tracks to clothing to freshly moved earth, helping to guide the team's ground search on foot, ATV and horseback.

My thanx to all the searchers.

I wonder if this article is correct. Did she normally run in her jeans? So weird. I was thinking that maybe the rain would help her if she had fallen and was hurt, having no water the rain maybe would be a source to keep her hydrated or if she was knocked out due to severe pain it would wake her up.

Hope to hear some good news soon.

Prayers for her family and friends.

On Friday morning, a "reverse 911" call went out to Rancho Bernardo-area residents, urging them to immediately report any possible sightings of the missing teen.

Snipped from http://www.10news.com/news/22678790/detail.html

It sounds like the police are doing a great job using all resources they can to find Chelsea.

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed.

Has the possibility that Chelsea may have had plans to meet up with a jogging partner at the park been ruled out? Surely, there would have been clues on her cell phone if she had. Did she usually jog with a friend, or was it routine for her to jog alone? It sounds like a popular trail...wonder who else is a regular there, and if they have offered to help police with any observations?

They did look at her phone and computer, but from most of what her friends have said, she typically runs alone.

The challenge with what you were saying about being a popular trail is that it's really a network of trails. From the park there are trails that basically go out multiple directions, and each of those splinter off. It's not uncommon to pass people periodically, but even regulars tend to vary their routes. It's actually one of the things that people really like about that area.

There are several other places where that'd be more likely for someone running, including trails around two other lakes, but the appeal of the Lake Hodges/RB Community Park area is that there are so, so, so many variations. Just along the lake along there are 27 miles of trails - but you can take even those a number of different ways (and they basically don't intersect since some are on the north - Escondido - side and go east and west and some on the south - Rancho Bernardo - side). Then there are the dozens and dozens of miles that are not directly around the edge of the lake, but in the foothills and canyons. Some go miles back toward the neighborhoods (and even connect into neighborhoods) and some meander all around the rugged terrain. I know I rarely ever did the same thing two days in a row, as that was why I went there...to have the luxury of probably a month's worth of different runs without duplicating.

Unless someone stuck to the trails right around the park, which is unlikely for a cross country runner like Chelsea, it's unlikely there's be regulars that would know her from a specific trail. Just those who might start or end around the same time might remember seeing her start or finish.

But even that would be hard with someone like Chelsea. The school schedule for Poway means school ends at very different times on Wednesday and Thursdays than M, T, F - and as a senior, there's even more variance. So the chances of her even starting/ending around the same time to see others consistently isn't as high as it might be for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Glitterbag