CA CA - Coast Fiend Killer, San Diego, 1931-1938

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I seem to remember reading that Northcott recanted, (he had originally confessed to killing Nicholas) and so the case remained unsolved. I am responding from memory, but I thought it wasn't even an actual confession to killing specifically Nicholas, but just some "mexican boy" somewhere south of his ranch. You may already know the details of Nicholas' disappearance/murder, but I'll just mention that he was playing near some man-made caves near his neighborhood where he was forbidden to play at. I thought the other children who played there said that there was a man living in or near the caves, but I dont remember if they ever found this guy or whether he was a suspect. I had been in contact with a family descendent of his ages ago through Ancestry who was looking into his murder. So, I am pretty sure it is still open.

You are correct. Northcott did confess and I believe recanted. I've done Nicholas' tree on Ancestry and searched Newspapers.com and GenealogyBank.com and found countless articles. Coroner Kelly was the one who originally thought there was a link to Northcott in December 1927 and then it's not mentioned again, probably because the trial started. I don't now if he was ever questioned. I did tons of research on Young's Caves. Mr. Young was a reputable man looking to improve his health in his 70s. He was a druggist/pharmacist in National City. He would ask the neighborhood boys to help which these days is a red flag for a pedophile but everything I've read speaks highly of him. The caves were up to a mile long! The reason they linked it to Northcott is because Nicholas' friends and his brother Paul saw him approaching a blue car at the caves as they were leaving and the driver matched the description of Northcott. Nicholas' mom warned him not to go to Adobe Falls to swim. Northcott used to frequent San Diego and they found a cap/hat with a San Diego firm emblem at the ranch in Riverside.
Nick's dad was a champion lightweight boxer and cement worker and Nick was the oldest of seven kids. There are some cold cases listed on the SDPD historical website but I dont' think Esparza is listed.

You are correct. Northcott did confess and I believe recanted. I've done Nicholas' tree on Ancestry and searched Newspapers.com and GenealogyBank.com and found countless articles. Coroner Kelly was the one who originally thought there was a link to Northcott in December 1927 and then it's not mentioned again, probably because the trial started. I don't now if he was ever questioned. I did tons of research on Young's Caves. Mr. Young was a reputable man looking to improve his health in his 70s. He was a druggist/pharmacist in National City. He would ask the neighborhood boys to help which these days is a red flag for a pedophile but everything I've read speaks highly of him. The caves were up to a mile long! The reason they linked it to Northcott is because Nicholas' friends and his brother Paul saw him approaching a blue car at the caves as they were leaving and the driver matched the description of Northcott. Nicholas' mom warned him not to go to Adobe Falls to swim. Northcott used to frequent San Diego and they found a cap/hat with a San Diego firm emblem at the ranch in Riverside.
Nick's dad was a champion lightweight boxer and cement worker and Nick was the oldest of seven kids. There are some cold cases listed on the SDPD historical website but I dont' think Esparza is listed.

Are you a San Diego local? Awhile back I watched an old Ken Kramer "About San Diego", that talked about those caves and I think they are under/around modern day Alvarado Estates. I never saw anything about Nicholas approaching a blue car, or anything about Adobe Falls...did you find some newspaper articles somewhere? I have several subs including genealogybank which has San Diego papers. I haven't been there, but where I think Adobe Falls is, isn't right in the vicinity of Youngs caves. Was he getting a ride with a stranger to the Falls? Its not far by any means, but i just wonder what that connection was. I do know Nicholas Sr. was a boxer and a cement worker. I tried to research gyms in the area. I was wondering if at some point all the boxing did something to him mentally to have some random paper describe him as a "feeble minded character" that was questioned in Virginia's death. I have now been obsessed for 10+years over Nicholas', Virginia's, Louise's, "Dollie" Bibbens, Hazel Bradshaw's, and Celia Cota's deaths. I read about your gggrandmothers murder and what a freaking crazy story that was. If you want to discuss any of these cases further I would love that. I no longer am living in San Diego (which I am sad about every day), but I have done additional research since these original postings before I left SD, including talking to a detective about Virginia. I have done family trees on a lot of these people and I can say they have some sad histories. Anyway if you are as obsessed as i am or just curious about more info I would be glad to help. kjs75 @ hotmail.com

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrewWA
Back