CA - Court upholds Menendez brothers' convictions

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
“Police sources told the Los Angeles Times that a gun barrel was thrust into José’s mouth after he’d already been shot four times, and a final blast blew off the back of his head.”

It’s also in a 1989 LA Times article but that’s behind a paywall.

Thank you @gitana1.

I don't think it's disputed that the victims died of multiple gunshot wounds or the location of the wounds but I think there was a dispute during trial as to the number of shots that were fired. That said, it doesn't follow that police detectives, the confessed killer, and ME wouldn't testify accurately to the nature of the wounds at trial so I think I'll trust the trial transcript from witness testimony versus what a police source told the Times 35 years later! But makes for a good headline to promote the new Netflix series!

Also, we know from Jose's autopsy that evidence indicates the gun had literally been placed against the back of Jose's head (i.e., soot found on the wound).

JOSE MENENDEZ:

Dr. Irwin Golden of the Los Angeles County Coroner's office conducted their autopsies. Jose's autopsy took place first. The first wound that Dr. Golden examined was the shotgun wound to Jose's head. Golden described the wound as a "gaping laceration," that was five inches by four inches, large enough for an adult to thrust his fist through the wound. The brain had been pulverized. There was also a "deformity of the face" caused by multiple fractures of the facial and jawbones. Soot was also found in the wound, indicating that when the fatal shot was fired, the gun had literally been placed against the back of Jose's head.

The remainder of Jose's wounds would not have been immediately fatal, although all resulted in much loss of blood. There were two shots to the right arm, one below the shoulder that fractured the humerus and the other to the right forearm. There was a shot to the left elbow. The trajectory of the shot was from back to front, indicating that this shot could have been one of the first shots fired at Jose as the killer walked around to the front of the couch to face him. Jose was shot in the lower left knee, creating a three-inch wound that fractured left femur. Golden discovered that there was bleeding into Jose's body tissues along all of the wound paths. This meant that Jose's heart had been pumping blood and that the wound at the back of his head, which investigators initially thought was the first shot fired at Jose, was not. Golden said he could not determine the order of the shots fired at Jose.

KITTY MENENDEZ

Kitty's autopsy revealed that she had been shot in the left cheek which caused a one-inch hole in her face that had fractured her upper jaw and dislodged four of her upper teeth. There were additional wounds to Kitty's skull, fractures to her lower jaw, and pellet wounds to her tongue. A shot had also lacerated her brain. Dr. Golden found birdshot in Kitty's wounds which confirmed the investigator's suspicions that Kitty's killers had reloaded their weapons. None of Jose's wounds contained birdshot. Kitty had three wounds to her face. The most damaging was four inches and extended from Kitty's right cheek across her nose to her left cheek. Golden also discovered that Kitty's right thumb was almost severed. Investigators theorized that Kitty had extended her hand to block the shotgun blast that caused the four-inch wound in her face as a last effort at self-preservation. The only problem with this theory was that the wound to Kitty's hand was on the palm side, not the back of her hand. Most people extend their hands palms out when attempting to defend themselves. Kitty's wound indicated she extended either her blocking hand in a strange position, or she did not want to see who was shooting at her. Kitty also had shotgun wounds to her right forearm and left breast and three wounds to her left leg. The final wound was to her left knee. The shot was from front to back and that was odd because it came from a different angle than the other shots fired at her leg. Investigators theorized that this might have been the last shot fired at Kitty and an attempt to make the murder appear to be a mob hit.
MENENDEZ CRIME LIBRARY

At about 23 min mark, parties agree to stipulate that per the ME Dr Golden, there are two contact wounds --Jose (back of head), and Kitty (left cheek), which dismisses the latest notion that Jose was shot from inside his mouth.

At about 23 min mark, parties agree to stipulate that per the ME Dr Golden, there are two contact wounds --Jose (back of head), and Kitty (left cheek), which dismisses the latest notion that Jose was shot from inside his mouth.
Adding to my post that Dr Golden's testimony begins at about 1:20:00 to discuss Jose's contact entrance wound with the muzzle shadow on the back of Jose's head.

I think my time was best spent watching 2 hours or part 1 of the ME, Dr. Golden's, testimony about the victims versus the Netflix dramatization. The parties agreed to admit two photos by the ME and body diagrams for illustration purposes. The photo of Mom, Kitty and her wounds is absolutely shattering. No words can explain... :(:mad:... Cowards. MOO

If the boys were abused as they say, then i understand why they killed their parents. Easy for anyone to say, just leave. You can say that about a female who id an absuive relationship. Its not that simple.

If they were raised in loving stable home would they have murdered their parents?

I watched the Netflix series and thought the term monsters were in reference to their parents.

I also believe that the abuse didnt just stop at being physical, sexual or verbal abuse. I believe the lavish gifts are also a form of abuse, especially when it may have been the only form of “love” they received.

We can argue did Jose and Kitty deserve to die… well did the boys deserve the abuse?

These boys are a product of their parents either which way you look at it

How? If they both believed they had already been written out of the will, killing their parents wouldn’t do anything to help them get back into the will. It would just ensure that they would get nothing
IANAL. If the father’s will designated the mother as the sole recipient, then where are the monies and belongings likely to go upon her death?

And as @gitana1 notes in post # 404 it could also have been for revenge. And @Seattle1 provides additional information on the point of the will’s possible probate in post # 391 above. MOO

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
datalord
Back