CA - Court upholds Menendez brothers' convictions

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
no, but it should have been a mitigating factor in sentencing (also just personally, I want to say I believe them 100%)

Taking into account that in the 90s, people either believed such abuse didn't exist or was the fault of the victim a lot of the time, I think that if the same case was presented now they'd not receive life sentences, or would at least have a chance of parole.
I understand the tendency to assume that there was no public awareness, acceptance, or prosecution based on boys that were abused by men in 1989. That simply is not true. I've included some links about the Mount Cashel orphanage, where many boys were abused by men. Oprah Winfrey reported on the abuse of boys by men in 1989.

In 1975, the investigation into the sexual abuse of boys was quashed by the Justice Department. Fourteen years later, the Justice Department stepped out of the way. To get a sense of the global climate regarding the abuse of boys by men in 1989, read about Mount Cashel.

It was international news. If Lyle and Eric were abused as boys, they would have read about Mt. Cashel abuse in February, 1989. They should have told that story from the beginning in August 1989, rather than running with the hit-man theory. Global, public sympathy was in place for boys abused by their male parent or caregiver. What was their reason for not reporting their parents to the authorities?

"Shane Earle, whose lawsuit against the Mount Cashel Orphanage in St. John's over physical and sexual abuse during the mid-1970s led to a public inquiry, drew wider attention to the case with a 1989 appearance on Oprah Winfrey's show."

"The document, released Friday, is the latest step in a saga that started in 1987 with charges against one priest and would expand to a series of scandals that closed the Mount Cashel orphanage in St. John's and recently forced the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corp. to sell churches and other property to settle claims.

The Mount Cashel scandal exploded in 1989, and included reports of how a 1975 police investigation was quashed by the provincial Justice Department. The Hughes inquiry, ordered by the Newfoundland and Labrador government, found numerous failings in the child protection system.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/church-mount-cashel-settlement-1.7255755

"On 15 February 1989, the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary re-opened its 1975 investigation into allegations of child abuse at the Mount Cashel Boys' Home (popularly known as the Mount Cashel Orphanage) in St. John's."
Mount Cashel Orphanage Abuse Scandal

An examination of the events surrounding the Mount Cashel Orphanage abuse scandal that occured at the Mount Cashel Boy's Home in St. John's.
www.heritage.nf.ca
www.heritage.nf.ca

no, but it should have been a mitigating factor in sentencing (also just personally, I want to say I believe them 100%)

Taking into account that in the 90s, people either believed such abuse didn't exist or was the fault of the victim a lot of the time, I think that if the same case was presented now they'd not receive life sentences, or would at least have a chance of parole.
I agree 100% with you. I am a survivor of sexual abuse from the 90's. Even as a young female, I was made to feel as if it were my fault, I can not begin to imagine how much worse it had to have been on young males. There was and unfortunately still is a stigma attached to it to this day. What young male wanted anyone to find out what was being done to him? Back then he would have immediately been judged and called horrible names. It's sad to think that these boys not only lost their innocence of being children, but have also lost the majority of their lives. I agree that they had to be punished, but I honestly don't think that they should have been given life sentences...they will always have those life sentence mentally from the abuse they endured..

I don't believe anything regarding sexual abuse coming out of their mouths.

It's so circumstantial and imo could have been suggested to one or both Erik and Lyle.

Even IF it happened... they had other options than murder.
Take the dad or both parents to court and sue them & press charges.
Jose and Kitty deserved their day in court.
The other people who allegedly knew what was going on could have reported the parents to LE.
Maybe even intervened to have the boys put into foster care if they knew something from E. and L.'s earlier days ?
Their silence speaks volumes.
Omo.

I understand the tendency to assume that there was no public awareness, acceptance, or prosecution based on boys that were abused by men in 1989. That simply is not true. I've included some links about the Mount Cashel orphanage, where many boys were abused by men. Oprah Winfrey reported on the abuse of boys by men in 1989.

In 1975, the investigation into the sexual abuse of boys was quashed by the Justice Department. Fourteen years later, the Justice Department stepped out of the way. To get a sense of the global climate regarding the abuse of boys by men in 1989, read about Mount Cashel.

It was international news. If Lyle and Eric were abused as boys, they would have read about Mt. Cashel abuse in February, 1989. They should have told that story from the beginning in August 1989, rather than running with the hit-man theory. Global, public sympathy was in place for boys abused by their male parent or caregiver. What was their reason for not reporting their parents to the authorities?

"Shane Earle, whose lawsuit against the Mount Cashel Orphanage in St. John's over physical and sexual abuse during the mid-1970s led to a public inquiry, drew wider attention to the case with a 1989 appearance on Oprah Winfrey's show."

"The document, released Friday, is the latest step in a saga that started in 1987 with charges against one priest and would expand to a series of scandals that closed the Mount Cashel orphanage in St. John's and recently forced the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corp. to sell churches and other property to settle claims.

The Mount Cashel scandal exploded in 1989, and included reports of how a 1975 police investigation was quashed by the provincial Justice Department. The Hughes inquiry, ordered by the Newfoundland and Labrador government, found numerous failings in the child protection system.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfoundland-labrador/church-mount-cashel-settlement-1.7255755

"On 15 February 1989, the Royal Newfoundland Constabulary re-opened its 1975 investigation into allegations of child abuse at the Mount Cashel Boys' Home (popularly known as the Mount Cashel Orphanage) in St. John's."
Mount Cashel Orphanage Abuse Scandal

An examination of the events surrounding the Mount Cashel Orphanage abuse scandal that occured at the Mount Cashel Boy's Home in St. John's.
www.heritage.nf.ca
www.heritage.nf.ca
The reason for not reporting it are simple. Their dad had influence, money, and power. They knew that due to those reasons alone that absolutely nothing would stick as far as charges went and once their dad found out they had reported him, then things at life would become absolutely more unbarable for them. Add that to the stigma of them being young boys who had been sexually abused being called horrible names on top of everything else and you have your reasons...

The reason for not reporting it are simple. Their dad had influence, money, and power. They knew that due to those reasons alone that absolutely nothing would stick as far as charges went and once their dad found out they had reported him, then things at life would become absolutely more unbarable for them. Add that to the stigma of them being young boys who had been sexually abused being called horrible names on top of everything else and you have your reasons...
Oprah was talking about sexual abuse of boys in 1989, and everyone watched Oprah. The Menendez murderers, who were adults at the time of the murders, could have phoned up Oprah with the story about the Hollywood executive with RCA records who was allegedly a pedophile ... no one would have doubted them.

The Menendez brothers could soon walk free from prison after more than 30 years behind bars.

A press conference will be held in Los Angeles on Wednesday where the state is expected to announce a
significant development in the case against Erik and Lyle.

LA County district attorney George Gascón has personally invited some of the brothers' relatives to attend the press conference, Vanity Fair reported.

The family are reportedly hopeful the DA is considering asking for a revised sentence which could see the brothers, now aged 53 and 56, walk free from custody.

Rbm.

After more than 30 years, why didn't the brothers share this new development before now ?
Are they going to say someone else was involved ?

This crime was cold and vicious.
They were old enough to go to the authorities.
Other people have been abused and killed no one.
Etc.

For anyone who thinks they're innocent and now are no longer a danger to the public --- would they want either brother to live in their house ?
I wouldn't.
Omo.

I dont think you understand what happens to children who ate bullied and abused by both of their parents. And the deep long lasting trauma it causes

They also could have killed themselves.

Did they do the right thing? No…
Were they abused. Quite possibly.

My mum
Abused me for many years and ppl reported her and the school tried to help. But i was too scared to tell the truth. I had to to home to her every day. I was physically and verbally abused every day i was with her.
I havent murdered her. But i have so many issues. Even tho i deint live with my dad i had a loving father, who when found out took me out.

Maybe the parents were kind and loving. I highly doubt it. But if those boys were abused even 5% of what they have said, then i truly feel for them. No child should be abused ever.
Thank you for sharing. I can't imagine what you experienced as a child. Thankfully, your father rescued you. Hugs.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz
Back