CA CA - Dorothy Rusnak Caylor, 41, Concord, 12 June 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Dec. 20, 2005

More than 20 years after Dottie Caylor disappeared, police again returned to her Greer Avenue home Monday for a search that seemed focused on looking for her body.

While city crews used a backhoe and shovels to dig up most of the back yard and a portion of a cement patio, crime scene technicians worked inside the house. Three cadaver-detecting dogs also were used.

The outside search did not uncover any remains, although Dottie's dog, which died shortly before Dottie disappeared in June 1985, was unearthed. Officials did not reveal the type of search being done inside the home, but classified it as "forensic."

<snip>

On Monday, Messick said the digging was done in areas recommended by the experts who conducted the radar search, and in areas the dogs showed interest in. The dogs were loaned to the investigation by the Contra Costa County Sheriff's department and law enforcement agencies in Reno, Nev.

Crews pulled up boards on a deck and removed two slabs of concrete. They also brought in a back hoe to dig along the side of the house and a portion of the rear yard. Then they turned their attention to the patio area.

Police served a search warrant on the home early Monday, asking the renters -- the Caylors still own the home, although Jule Caylor has lived in Utah for the past 20 years -- and asked them to stay away for the day.

"It just means she's not here," Messick said, commenting on the day's search. "There has been a question that has always been asked: 'Was the home searched thoroughly?' And now it has been."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/news/local/crime_courts/13448086.htm

Bumping this fascinating story up. Has anyone seen any updates to the December 2005 stories?

:bump: for Dottie. :heartbeat:

Snipped:

Jule told authorities that his wife packed an overnight bag and told him she was visiting a friend in California on June 12, 1985. Jule said that he drove Dorothy to the Bay Area Rapid Transit (BART) station in Pleasant Hill later that day and watched her walk inside the building. She has never been heard from again. Jule said she was carrying her bag and a turquoise leather purse when she disappeared; the purse contained several items including Dorothy's medical card and a bee-sting kit.

caylor_dorothy.jpg

Dorothy 'Dottie' May Caylor

Just saw this story on UM this morning so I went looking for more information.

Charley Project link: http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/c/caylor_dorothy.html

Lots of good information here that wasn't on UM:

http://z10.invisionfree.com/usedtobedoe/index.php?showtopic=3293

According to the above link, the case was reopened in 2004. Some of the findings from it were made public. Here are a few that were not in the UM segment....

- Jule's was engaged to another woman six months before Dottie disappeared.

- Jule reporting Dottie missing on June 19, even though he told police he had not expected his wife to return to the home until after he left on June 24.

- Jule made statements in letters to and in conversations with his fiancee, saying he had made a "Herculean effort" to be with her, an effort that she might never know or understand, and that he would do anything for her, even kill. The statements as well as the news of Dottie's disappearance so frightened the woman, she told police, that she had broken off contact with Caylor.

In the link above, it states that police received a letter in 1988 stating that Jule had killed his wife and buried her. They are unsure who wrote the note and sent it to them (a few theories are presented).

Also in the link is the content of one of the notes that Jule left on Dorothy's windshield for her when he had found her abandoned car. Very interesting!

Bump. I too have just seen this case on UM.

According to Charley Project, the husband signed an agreement to rent out the house and got engaged before Dorothy disappeared... Nice. :p

I'd be interesting in knowing where Dorothy's car tended up. The husband said he found it next to his own vehicle at the BART station and that he moved it a few times. Did he eventually drive it home, did he lead the cops to where he left it last, or did it eventually get impounded?

In one of the newspaper articles quoted above, I find it interesting that the husband says he "forgot" Dorothy disappeared and he thought she had died. I think I'd remember sitting down for an interview with UM that got broadcast on national TV. :p

Bump

Any new information on this case? Was her car ever searched forensically? Was it ever stated if he worked outdoors for the forest service? If so were the places he was familiar with ever searched?

I just watched the UM episode and the interview with the husband was very telling. Putting the blame of her disappearance on her and claiming she disappeared to make it difficult for him. Saying she lead a secret life and got in with wrong person. Plus her car just happened to show up parked next to his at the Bart station with her purse inside. When he discussed his happy life now, he stated "that problem is behind me now". She was moving on from him and he did not want that to happen. I would bet she is in a forest that he worked at.
If she had disappeared in our current time with cameras and technology, it would have been a different outcome for him, imo.
I hope cold case teams will go over these UM stories because back then the forensics were outdated and no DNA technology.

Everything about this case points to the husband. It’s frustrating that no tangible evidence has surfaced. I wish we had more info on the husbands whereabouts beginning with the day she supposedly left. Where did he say he went? Was his alibi corroborated? We still never found out what his job at the forest service was either.

Bumping her thread. Looks like authorities consider her husband a person of interest as of 2004. The UM page had a bit of good information. For me, everything points to her husband. I'd say he wanted to move on from her and money motivated him to not just divorce her. Specifically because he said he had to rent their home because he needed her signature to sell. Just reading about her case, it seems that the police just need more evidence to be able to charge him. Hopefully her family gets justice.

Unsolved Mysteries Link: https://unsolvedmysteries.fandom.com/wiki/Dottie_Caylor

I just watched the UM episode that covered this case. Sadly yes, everything points to her husband. But the episode stated that she had taken $5000 and moved it into her own new and separate account. Then she had that same $5000 turned into a cashiers check, But where did it go? Has the check been located or cashed? Or am I missing something.

Bumping for Dotty!

I learned of this case from the “Film Rise” uploaded episodes of “Unsolved Mysteries”!

This case is definitely bizarre but as everyone here has said, everything points to the husband!

The husband, to say the least, is creepy as hell! It’s the eyes specifically that creep me out. Could he have some mental condition or have been special needs since birth?

There’s a podcast which covered this case titled “The Path went Chilly”. If people here are interested, it’s the episodes from July 29th, 2021 and August 4th, 2021 that cover Dottie’s disappearance.

Besides covering the case, there are also some disturbing and bizarre stories regarding Jule Caylor: one is that he claims when he was younger he put a bomb in a dogs bum and blew it up! Another story associated with Jule Caylor is that one time when he went to “Wendy’s” he was unhappy with the presentation of the Salad Bar and wrote a multi-page letter saying he has skills in salad bars and could do a better job then “Wendy’s”! He even took a photo of himself at the salad bar!

Why isn’t this man being investigated more?!

I just watched the UM episode that covered this case. Sadly yes, everything points to her husband. But the episode stated that she had taken $5000 and moved it into her own new and separate account. Then she had that same $5000 turned into a cashiers check, But where did it go? Has the check been located or cashed? Or am I missing something.
I recall from the UM episode that the check was in a friend's possession for safekeeping (given to them by Dottie) and the cashiers check expired before it was cashed. At that point I expect it went back into Dottie's account and was then treated as part of her estate (Jule tried to claim they were divorced when he retired years later. Her family then responded stating that she was deceased at the time he retired so her possessions should follow whatever end of life processing she had in place - hopefully it went to her family rather than Jule).

Very nice photos. She has been missing for over 37 years.

I watched this episode today for like the 5th time since it was released back in the 80s. If you really listen to the statements he makes on the show, he never claims he is innocent.

When he talks about what he thinks happened he says either she "either willfully disappeared and then was helped to permanently disappear." Well maybe she was moving on to start a new life, and he helped her permanently disappear. That isn't a lie. He might have been telling everyone out front what he did.

The other thing he says it was "it was hell living with Dottie," which by all accounts could have been the case considering the issues she was having. But then he says "It was hell having her disappear the way she did." Well nobody knows the way she disappeared, but, if he does, and he killed her, it might have been hell for him to do so.

This guy is an OG in terms of language manipulation.

I just watched the UM episode and the interview with the husband was very telling. Putting the blame of her disappearance on her and claiming she disappeared to make it difficult for him. Saying she lead a secret life and got in with wrong person. Plus her car just happened to show up parked next to his at the Bart station with her purse inside. When he discussed his happy life now, he stated "that problem is behind me now". She was moving on from him and he did not want that to happen. I would bet she is in a forest that he worked at.
If she had disappeared in our current time with cameras and technology, it would have been a different outcome for him, imo.
I hope cold case teams will go over these UM stories because back then the forensics were outdated and no DNA technology.
Exactly. He hated that she was seeking independence and was threatened by that. He could barely disguise his contempt for her and moved on way too quickly. His words practically scream "I did it!"

this case is completely sad and disturbing...Jule Caylor didn't seem to have any real interest in finding her and seemed concerned that people would bother to look for her...he proposed to a coworker before she disappeared and bought rings...something very suspicious...
I think that rusty knife found by the neighbors is the murder weapon... a really sick guy who in my opinion does not deserve to live after murdering her wife... why didn't he just separate himself from her? If she was sick she takes her children and puts his wife in a mental sanatorium... in unsolved mysteries she had the nerve to speak as if nothing had happened without worries or problems...
I hope with all my heart that one day he suffers from her as much as he made her suffer...
either way
rest in peace

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jackie&Tim