CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
On ProBoards, (I believe it was) Janelle's sister posted that On the Case W Paula Zahn will be airing a show on EAR/GSK June 11, 2017 @ 10PM Eastern/Western time, 9PM Central time on Investigation Discovery Channel.
Setting the DVR!

Did anyone manage to catch this episode?? Hopefully it will be available online soon...

This quote from a 12 year old victim of the EAR is just heartbreaking:

M... knew from newspaper accounts that the rapist would use plates as an alarm system placing them on the backs of household members that were not his intended target.

"I knew if he came into my room, he was gonna rape my mom. And if he went into my mom’s room, he was gonna rape me. And he went into my mom’s room."

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/michelle-mcnamara-patton-oswalt-true-crime-writers-relentless-search-for-the-golden-state-killer/

This quote from a 12 year old victim of the EAR is just heartbreaking:
such
a smart little girl she was....ID Discovery is also on Amazon Video... I was so disappointed that they did not do the DNA composite at Crime-con...I think that it sure would help...perhaps they did not making it public and that is why they eliminated some of the former renderings.

Casefile has now posted a couple of bonus segments / interviews after the very interesting 5 part podcast on the EAR/ONS.

http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/casefile-true-crime-podcast/e/case-53-bonus-1-interviews-50481775

EAR/ONS BONUS EPISODE #1 Interviews with Jane Carson-Sandler & Carol Daly

Jane Carson-Sandler survived the brutal attack and rape of the East Area Rapist in the October of 1976. She is the fifth known survivor.

You heard during the series that Detective Carol Daly began working the East Area Rapist cases from the day of Jane's attack. Jane's crime scene was the first encounter that Carol had with any survivor of the rapist. Carol's life and career were changed that day.

Hello, everyone! This is my first post, so forgive me if I am mentioning something which has already been said. This thread has gotten quite long and I have only read through page 21 so far. However, I am presently reading "Hunting a Psychopath" by Shelby after reading "Sudden Terror" by Crompton. One thing that struck me was how there were many times that EAR did not climax during an attack, sometimes after repeated rapes. However, as ONS, he seemed to orgasm every time. It makes me think two things: 1) Since EAR was all about terrorizing his victims, perhaps the murder of the male in front of the female brought on the ultimate terrified response that, as the ONS and murderer, he was really looking for. 2) It also makes me wonder if he didn't rape the female victims post-mortem - that he found that powerful enough to get him off every single time. Bundy and Ridgway were known to continue to sexually violate their victims after death. Dahmer did as well, but he had ALWAYS fantasized about an unconscious, completely compliant partner, so I consider him a different type of offender. Anyone else notice this discrepancy? Thoughts? (Hope my first post didn't suck, but I have found myself increasingly drawn down into the rabbit hole of this case and finally decided to post here, as my poor husband is getting sick of me talking to him about it. Thanks!) :)

elledarkly, I was just thinking of his age as well. One thing to consider was that, IF he was the VR (which I believe) he was able to move 4 hours away to Sacramento after the murder of Snelling and the close call with the cop. Unless his family just happened to move at this time, he had to have been old enough to move by himself. This could include moving to attend college in Sacramento. So while I believe, being the VR, that he WAS a teenager, I don't believe that he was a very young one (14-16). I believe he would have had to at least be 17 in order to make the move and get out of town quickly.

Hello, everyone! This is my first post, so forgive me if I am mentioning something which has already been said. This thread has gotten quite long and I have only read through page 21 so far. However, I am presently reading "Hunting a Psychopath" by Shelby after reading "Sudden Terror" by Crompton. One thing that struck me was how there were many times that EAR did not climax during an attack, sometimes after repeated rapes. However, as ONS, he seemed to orgasm every time. It makes me think two things: 1) Since EAR was all about terrorizing his victims, perhaps the murder of the male in front of the female brought on the ultimate terrified response that, as the ONS and murderer, he was really looking for. 2) It also makes me wonder if he didn't rape the female victims post-mortem - that he found that powerful enough to get him off every single time. Bundy and Ridgway were known to continue to sexually violate their victims after death. Dahmer did as well, but he had ALWAYS fantasized about an unconscious, completely compliant partner, so I consider him a different type of offender. Anyone else notice this discrepancy? Thoughts? (Hope my first post didn't suck, but I have found myself increasingly drawn down into the rabbit hole of this case and finally decided to post here, as my poor husband is getting sick of me talking to him about it. Thanks!) :)

Welcome to Ws sarah13ec, thanks for the thought-provoking post!

Welcome to Webseluths sarah13ec, great first post!

I think you might be right that the murder of the male partners greatly increased the outward signs of terror displayed by the female victims and thus the sexual satisfaction of the offender. EAR-ONS must surely be unusual in that he had almost certainly killed at least three people that we know of (Mr Snelling and the Maggiores) before he actually decided to become a serial killer. They just happened to interfere with his plans, those three murders themselves weren't designed to satisfy him. Once he started deliberately killing victims, he obviously enjoyed it.

But it is also unusual that he continued to attack so many victims without noticeably escalating, and then all of a sudden, raping didn't seem to be enough for him and he began the brutal murders. He took an incredibly long time (in terms in number of victims) to switch from being a serial rapist to being a serial killer. Many serial killers only commit 1-2 rapes before switching to murder, not 50 as in the case of the EAR-ONS!!

The second point you made is also very interesting! He was described many times as having a small penis and regularly had trouble climaxing with living victims, so perhaps he decided that necrophilia was a chance for him to achieve sexual gratification without being hung up about his 'performance'.

MOO.

Welcome to Webseluths sarah13ec, great first post!

I think you might be right that the murder of the male partners greatly increased the outward signs of terror displayed by the female victims and thus the sexual satisfaction of the offender. EAR-ONS must surely be unusual in that he had almost certainly killed at least three people that we know of (Mr Snelling and the Maggiores) before he actually decided to become a serial killer. They just happened to interfere with his plans, those three murders themselves weren't designed to satisfy him. Once he started deliberately killing victims, he obviously enjoyed it.

But it is also unusual that he continued to attack so many victims without noticeably escalating, and then all of a sudden, raping didn't seem to be enough for him and he began the brutal murders. He took an incredibly long time (in terms in number of victims) to switch from being a serial rapist to being a serial killer. Many serial killers only commit 1-2 rapes before switching to murder, not 50 as in the case of the EAR-ONS!!

The second point you made is also very interesting! He was described many times as having a small penis and regularly had trouble climaxing with living victims, so perhaps he decided that necrophilia was a chance for him to achieve sexual gratification without being hung up about his 'performance'.

MOO.

I thought the same thing about his having killed those three before launching into the "murder phase." They weren't part of his plan or his fantasy.

I never thought about it, but you're right - he did take a long time to escalate. Makes me think that murder wasn't his initial fantasy scenario, that it evolved with time. He certainly didn't lack the balls to kill - if he was the VR he killed Snelling as (probably) a teenager, and was completely willing to kill a policeman. The more I think/learn about this case, the stranger it becomes...

What does VR mean? I tried searching the thread for it using the Search Thread tool, but it won't look because of lack of info or some such thing.
Thx

What does VR mean? I tried searching the thread for it using the Search Thread tool, but it won't look because of lack of info or some such thing.
Thx

Visalia ransacker.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you, Jennibee. I next had to look up Visalia Ransacker. I am good now :square:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visalia_Ransacker

Most believe he evolved into EAR. They have many similarities:

-Both ransacked.
-Both had high pitched voice
-Both stacked dishes and used them as alarms.
-Both used lotion
-EAR appeared couple of months after VR stopped committing crimes, so the timeline fits.

There are many videos on YouTube about EAR/ONS. Not sure if anyone here has been following the daily videos from Minivan Traveler. They have been interesting.

It's pretty common knowledge that he's insane and his story keeps changing and adding on and he even attacked the victims daughter in a recent video. I've yet to see anyone on Reddit or anywhere else set anything positive but he's hurting the case as far as newbies who see his stuff and think it's legit. He does look a lot like the sketch and have van in his name and will ear loves to talk about his van...I hope after he attacked the daughter in the video that people will not even do any interviews with him because it's just disgusting.

First time to learn of " Mr Cruel ", interesting that he also stops to eat a meal.
Cannot seem to find a thread for him here, maybe there should be one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr_Cruel

And a lot of people think he's the valissca ransacker or whoever the towns spelled and what sold me in that was the plates as alarms.

Anyone wanting to read a great write up on the case read nerdfathers he starts out with looking at the ransacker then moves to ear and then to his original night stalker phase and is I think 11 parts and is the best through collection and he marks parts of each attack he features in it where there's a special point of interest(he doesn't do every attack since so many are the same) also the on the case with Paula whatever did an episode on the case but as someone who's read a lot on the case I think the write up I said has the best info.

Anyone into this case we have a great Reddit just for it and I read this really good theory about him being a long distance bike rider and others. As far as someone mentioning the phantom killer, people usually look at zodiac when they try to connect him to another killer and often assume ear was way younger starting out in his thing which I believe he was but could have been near his 30s at most and anything he messes up he practices etc

but like I said before anyone who is seeing the minivan dude on YouTube who's recently changed his name on there it's 90% likely if my 99% that his story is a lie that he keeps adding to. Everyone notices and there are other weird discrepancies in his stories and he seems more likely to be the killer and thinks he's being a clever troll. And anyone who wants to see the video where he attacked Debbie damingo I know someone made a copy on Reddit. Cause she had made a post without naming any names first and then he assumed correctly and attacked her

http://www.watchfree.to/tv-270331-O...nline-free-putlocker.html/season-14-episode-3 watching it right now, hopefully this won't be the e true hollywood story of michelle mcnamara,.

If it was the 48 hours it is. They wasted the chance to get the case noticed but bored everyone rather than give us facts and such that could help solve it. My family was so bored they made me turn it off. Her gsk name is just as bad and if she truly cared about the case she would be mad that they wasted the chance but somehow I think the husband came up with it to get more money

I am not a newbie to this case. Following since the rapes first made national news when the CB people were trying to catch him. I find mini van guy to have invigorated the case and that is what it needs. I think he is trying to flush EAR/ONS out with some of his tactics. He only attacked DD after she first attacked him (it was obvious who she was attacking). He has gotten some good interviews and he lived in the area at the time. If you don't like him, don't watch him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaffro