CA CA - East Area Rapist aka The Original Night Stalker 1976-86

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am not a newbie to this case. Following since the rapes first made national news when the CB people were trying to catch him. I find mini van guy to have invigorated the case and that is what it needs. I think he is trying to flush EAR/ONS out with some of his tactics. He only attacked DD after she first attacked him (it was obvious who she was attacking). He has gotten some good interviews and he lived in the area at the time. If you don't like him, don't watch him.

Calling the Daughter of a murder victim at the hands of this serial killer, a 'professional victim' and mocking them, is childish, immature, and downright despicable. I call him out on his BS. Newbies to the case may think he is an authority and turn to his videos which are filled with his personal theories, and beliefs,none of what he says is supported by law enforcement.

It's pretty common knowledge that he's insane and his story keeps changing and adding on and he even attacked the victims daughter in a recent video. I've yet to see anyone on Reddit or anywhere else set anything positive but he's hurting the case as far as newbies who see his stuff and think it's legit. He does look a lot like the sketch and have van in his name and will ear loves to talk about his van...I hope after he attacked the daughter in the video that people will not even do any interviews with him because it's just disgusting.

Spoken for truth

For those of you that couldn't come to Crimecon:

[video=youtube;8aC_822-z6I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aC_822-z6I[/video]

I have not posted on this thread before and I have not read all 53 pages of posts on the case, so if I repeat anything that has already been mentioned, I apologize. Nevertheless, I have read a lot of material on this case. With that said, here is my two cents:

In my mind, there is no doubt that the East Area Rapist started off as the Visalia Ransacker. There are just too many similarities in the cases to be dismissed. Moreover, one of the keys to this case is that both the VR and the EAR took the time to plan their activities and conduct surveillance before those activities occurred. Once you accept that, you have to wonder where he got the time (and, incidentally, money) to do all that. I think there are only three conclusions you can come to: either the VR/EAR was independently wealthy, he was a student, or he had the kind of job that would give him plenty of time to carry out his attacks and conduct the related surveillance. I guess #1 is possible, but I would think unlikely. For some reason (maybe the paint evidence which indicates to me that he was a man who did his own manual work and did not pay for it to be done, plus the fact that he was a young guy) I get the feeling that the VR/EAR was not wealthy. #3 is impossible, I believe-I don’t think anybody could function at their job with the amount of extracurricular activities this dude was getting up to, particularly as the VR with his daylight burglaries. This leave us with #2, that he was a student. (In fact, generally the attacks of the EAR and certainly the VR seem to roughly coincide with the academic year.)

The one fact that has always struck me as peculiar about this case is the murder of Claude Snelling and the attempted abduction of his daughter. For the most part, the VR/EAR had a steady progression from burglar to rapist to serial killer, except for that one leapfrog on the road to notoriety where he quit being a mere creepy burglar and tried to kidnap Beth Snelling. That seems so out of character for that stage of his career. The only thing I can think of is that somehow he encountered one of the Snellings at college and (either out of desire for Beth or some animus towards Claude) decided to target them. Claude Snelling, of course, was a journalism professor at the College of the Sequoias in Visalia.

I think what happened is that after he almost got caught by the police officers on surveillance in Visalia the VR decided that he had to leave town (especially if the composite was anything close to how he actually looked) and moved his activities to Sacramento. I have no idea whether the police ever focused on any students who dropped out of or transferred out of Visalia colleges in 1975 (particularly the College of the Sequoias), but I would think that might be a useful strategy (although I am not sure how good the records might be after all this time). Just for laughs I started looking at publicly available photographs of students at the College of the Sequoias in 1975 and comparing them to the composite of the VR. I found two people who looked kind of like the picture, although it is difficult to be sure, particularly since they are wearing baseball hats, and some of it may be wishful thinking because you always dream of being the one who can crack the case. For obvious reasons, I am not going to mention any names, but anyone, certainly any police officer, could do what I did (and they would have access to more records and better pictures than I do).

I can’t imagine that they haven’t already done this though. But, one of the problems with this case is that all the law enforcement agencies involved initially always denied that their offender could have operated elsewhere: Sacramento did not believe that the EAR could be the VR, and similarly the Southern California cops did not think that the EAR could be the ONS until the DNA matched, so maybe they didn’t investigate the Visalia angle thoroughly.

Anyway, if I was a police officer, I would take a look at those college records.

I have not posted on this thread before and I have not read all 53 pages of posts on the case, so if I repeat anything that has already been mentioned, I apologize. Nevertheless, I have read a lot of material on this case. With that said, here is my two cents:

Wow, thanks very much for sharing tex124, I find it impossible to disagree with anything you have said. Really excellent ideas!!

I think one of the things that make this case so interesting (but also frustrating!) is that it just seems so solvable - certainly it could have (should have) been solved at the time!

But I still firmly believe it can still be solved today - either through a familial DNA match, or through a close friend / family member of the EAR finally making a phone call and explaining to a receptive detective why their friend / family member could be the EAR...

Most of VR's attacks were on Saturdays and Sundays, which could be a possible clue that he was in high school.

I am not a newbie to this case. Following since the rapes first made national news when the CB people were trying to catch him. I find mini van guy to have invigorated the case and that is what it needs. I think he is trying to flush EAR/ONS out with some of his tactics. He only attacked DD after she first attacked him (it was obvious who she was attacking). He has gotten some good interviews and he lived in the area at the time. If you don't like him, don't watch him.
Colette: At the time in your community what were the thoughts theories and rumors as to who the EAR was?

Well I am not from the area, so I can not speak about the community and rumors. I just remember first hearing about how no one could catch him because he was so stealthy. CB radios were extremely popular at the time, so groups of CB'ers were patrolling and using the radios to communicate. This made national news. My feeling is he wasn't using the roads at first, so they never did see him. He was using all the levies and back trails, walking and biking. IMO he was from the area so as a kid he knew all the back ways into the areas he stalked. I think he was a teen when he started raping. He first peeped then broke in, then kept progressing. I do think he was the VR first.

His crimes were covered in the media many times through the years, even on Unsolved Mysteries. I think he hasn't been caught because he was lucky and no one else knows what he did. There is no one who could turn him in. LE at the time was not good at sharing information with other departments and it hindered the investigation. I do feel he will be caught, probably through familial DNA. What are your thoughts?

If he was the VR, he sure learned quickly and possibly at an early age. I wonder if at some time he didn't slip up early on and he had a juvenile arrest.

I don't think luck had anything to do with him not being caught. To have committed so many crimes in that time frame, he had to have been very sophisticated, with above average intelligence. He had to have known the area very well because how else would he know which houses had couples living there or single women?

I've just finished watching the episode covering the EAR/OS/GSK on 48 hours mystery. A chilling moment was when police held a town hall meeting and how a man spoke up saying that if the guy came to his house, he would kill him. Not long after, that man and his wife were victims. That just freaked me right out-- the killer had to have been familiar with the residents in order to know which house to target.

I also think that there are more crimes committed by him that either haven't been identified as been done by him or he used a different MO to mask those crimes. With his first victims, he shot both of them, which was different from his MO with the crimes he committed afterwards.

With him in his 60s now (or maybe dead), I think it will be very difficult to identify him with DNA. I don't think he would be stupid enough to do something that would require him to give his DNA after all this time.

He was seen prowling many times, but people looked the other way and did not call the police. I call that lucky.

Wow. what a wealth of information....thanks so much GreyClay
Great Magazine....POI very compelling on proboards from the Son of Silas Boston serial case , so much so it makes me feel faint:facepalm: and he says the composite that looks most like him is the one on the cover of the magazine not the other two...I saw a younger picture of the dad and he actually looks like the other rendering of the guy with his hair parted on the side.
There weres statements made by victims and witnesses in the Maggiore case of two people being seen/involved

http://file:///home/chronos/u-bb65c...d92ff7/Downloads/CASEFILE_EARONS_magazine.pdf
Great Magazine....POI very compelling on proboards from the Son of Silas Boston serial case , so much so it makes me feel faint:facepalm: and he says the composite that looks most like him is the one on the cover of the magazine not the other two...I saw a younger picture of the dad and he actually looks like the other rendering of the guy with his hair parted on the side.
There weres statements made by victims and witnesses in the Maggiore case of two people being seen/involved
fogot magazinelink
:file:
///home/chronos/u-bb65cf66159c61392ed65472e4be37dd78d92ff7/Downloads/CASEFILE_EARONS_magazine.pdf

Here is Detective Ray Biondi taking about the Maggiore case from the FBI.
It is thought that the second person seen by that witness was actually Brian.

[video=youtube;Vp4f0VSfYqk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vp4f0VSfYqk[/video]

Good article about Ransaker & EAR/ONS. Ransaker wore a size 9 converse shoe, I have seen other's say he had a bigger foot than EAR/ONS but no he did not.

http://www.fresnobee.com/news/local/news-columns-blogs/lewis-griswold/article136364438.html

Thanks for the article colette!

Although it is very difficult to be 100% sure of the connection between VR and EAR, it is fairly mind-boggling how many people seem desperate to discount ANY possibility of a connection between them.

The FBI specifically state the EAR completed more than 120 residential burglaries:

attachment.php

It seems that the FBI are either saying EAR IS VR, or they are reminding us all that burglaries/ransackings continued to play a very significant role even in the midst of the rapes and murders, which would also point heavily to EAR being VR.

But I have lost count of the amount of times I have heard people saying "the VR was described as a Mongoloid", or "the VR weighed 200 lbs and so couldn't possibly be EAR..."

Attachments

• 120.jpg
    120.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 325
He was seen prowling many times, but people looked the other way and did not call the police. I call that lucky.

Local PD/sheriff/LE have admitted that their investigation left a lot to be desired back when the EAR was super active. Furthermore the communication between the city PD and county sheriff department was non-existent until very late in the game... the joke around town in LE circles is to tell people, "if you are going to get murdered, get murdered in the cafeteria of the federal building, if you are going to get raped or robbed, do it in city limits."
The three main areas he struck in were Sacramento, Citrus Heights, and Rancho Cordova. The latter two were sheriff and the sacramento attacks were on the boarder of sac of and sac sheriff's jurisdiction. This meant that some of the attacks would have both departments showing up to the same crime scene, and a couple of city pd people have said that what little information sharing was done at the time was done at the scene by street cops and sheriffs.
My point is that the EAR may have gotten lucky a time or two, but there is also a reason why people didn't bother calling LE for prowlers and break ins where nothing was taken... the question is, did the EAR know to take advantage of the sheriffs dept relative ineffectiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Honeybadger503