CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
It virtually stopped once he got the CH house. There was only the '86 rape and murder after that. This is what makes me think that he was fencing the valuable stuff. The rapes and escalations to murder appear to have been compulsive and to prevent identification. MOO

Rbbm. Found it interesting that a medical bag was missing, imo.
June 10 2018
Police searched alleged Golden State Killer's home for Ventura couple's gold jewelry
"Investigators in the Golden State Killer case were searching for gold jewelry and a Chinese gambling chip missing from the Ventura home of Lyman and Charlene Smith after their 1980 slayings, according to recently unsealed court documents."

"Of the two double homicides in Santa Barbara County, a judge redacted the items taken from the 1981 case. However, the warrant states in the 1979 case that claimed the lives of the two physicians, an old doctor’s bag full of medical supplies was missing from the condominium the victims shared."

"In the Ventura case at the Smith home on High Point Drive, the list was much longer. Seven gold rings, some with rubies, diamonds and pearls, were missing. A gold heart, gold nugget, gold horseshoe and gold earrings were also gone in addition to several gold chains. A “one of a kind” Chinese gambling chip and keys to a residence also were on the list, according to the warrant.

It’s unknown whether any of the items were found, but the document granted investigators broad access."

I've read over and over he committed the crimes while leaving many valuables behind???
Am I imagining that?
I'm not even sure anymore what to believe and not believe!
It was also said he would leave cash and only take one earring of a pair so I particularly looked for one earring or one cufflink on the list of valuables but didn't find that either. Perhaps they have not listed the non valuable stuff or have not listed the earlier Visalia items at all.

What goes on at the Save Mart Distribution Center, Roseville, California where JJD worked . Does all the inventory pass through that location? Is it a retail location?
It’s a central distribution center. Trucks come and go at all hours of the day and night. It was an Albertson’s distribution warehouse which was later bought out by SaveMart. I’m almost positive it was a Lucky Supermarket distribution warehouse before Albertson’s purchased them. They kept all the same employees each time the warehouse changed names.

Source: My house is a mile away. I pass by there regularly and have lived in the same neighborhood since 1994.

It’s a central distribution center. Trucks come and go at all hours of the day and night. It was an Albertson’s distribution warehouse which was later bought out by SaveMart. I’m almost positive it was a Lucky Supermarket distribution warehouse before Albertson’s purchased them. They kept all the same employees each time the warehouse changed names.

Source: My house is a mile away. I pass by there regularly and have lived in the same neighborhood since 1994.

Wow, Suglo.
If you were about, when he prowled around, you could have noticed his 'evil eye', and initiated a citizen's arrest, for something you felt was odd (being a Sleuther).:D:D
Then saved all this time, as we waited for the official arrest.

I am in two minds about this. I wonder what she thought about him being out at all hours of the night and coming home with sets of silverware and dinnerware? Wouldn't you think that he was up to something nefarious, especially if it had been reported that those items were taken from the murder scenes?

More likely, if he came home with beer breath, looking disheveled, and carrying "presents," I might be more likely to assume he's a lying, cheating louse. They didn't seem to spend much time together, imo. He might have told her he was working swing-shift somewhere as a security guard or whatever, and stealing just enough to keep up the ruse ... at least for awhile.

I've read over and over he committed the crimes while leaving many valuables behind???
Am I imagining that?
I'm not even sure anymore what to believe and not believe!

Often, they were things of personal value to his victims. A good number of those items added up to considerable monetary value. Especially gems and gold. Typical gold chains might get him some cash, and they wouldn't be easily identifiable, imo.

I wonder if he melted down the gold to make it unidentifiable and then sold it for cash. ... Or had it made into new jewelry pieces, possibly giving them as gifts or wearing them. I'm nauseated just typing that last sentence, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if he did.

Was "gold nugget" jewelry really as popular as I remember it being in the 1970s and '80s? It was a popular style where I lived growing up.

Often, they were things of personal frovalue to his victims. A good number of those items added up to considerable monetary value. Especially gems and gold. Typical gold chains might get him some cash, and they wouldn't be easily identifiable, imo.

I wonder if he melted down the gold to make it unidentifiable and then sold it for cash. ... Or had it made into new jewelry pieces, possibly giving them as gifts or wearing them. I'm nauseated just typing that last sentence, but it wouldn't be surprising to me if he did.

Was "gold nugget" jewelry really as popular as I remember it being in the 1970s and '80s? It was a popular style where I lived growing up.
I think that his stealing was part of the power trip. You are dead, I have raped your wife and now the spoils are mine. I bet he took his time selecting things to steal from the man's wife that he had just raped and killed. That speaks to me of an inadequate man who was furiously jealous of men who were more successful than he, both professionally and in the attractiveness of women that they married. Both had to be punished, because he thought that they were denying him something. Look at the Incel movement of today. Same mindset.

Yeah, that's gross, and it's damaged the news organizations' credibility, as well as that of journalism in general. :(

News 'Exclusives': How Much Did They Pay?
Home movies and photos:

"According to a story in The New York Times, ABC News denies paying Dugard for the interview. But that same story, published June 12, cites an unnamed "former longtime ABC News executive" who says the network earlier paid a six-figure amount for home movies of Dugard.

During Wednesday's Primetime Nightline, anchor Moran noted in passing that a licensing fee had been paid for home movies of Caylee provided by Casey Anthony's parents. Reportedly, $200,000 was paid for footage that previously had aired across ABC News "platforms" and was recycled on Primetime Nightline. The Times says that the fee paid by ABC eventually "found its way" into Casey Anthony's defense fund.
For shame."

SPJ Ethics Committee Position Papers - Society of Professional Journalists

From the link:

Checkbook journalism undermines journalistic independence and integrity and threatens the accuracy of the information that is purchased.

>snip<

First, paying for information immediately calls into question the credibility of the information. ... [Readers] also can’t be blamed for wondering whether the source is telling the outlet the truth, telling the outlet what it wants to hear or embellishing the truth to increase the value of the information.

>snip<

They also can’t be blamed for wondering whether the source is telling the outlet the truth, telling the outlet what it wants to hear or embellishing the truth to increase the value of the information. ... Creating a market for information that sells also raises the possibility that entrepreneurs looking to make money will create their own news, staging or inventing stories to attract the big checks.

Second, paying for information creates a conflict of interest. By writing a check for an interview, the journalist now has a business relationship with the source.

>snip<

And third, once a media outlet has paid for information, it is less likely to continue to search for the details of the story for fear it might uncover conflicting information.

>snip<

Because journalism — accurate and credible news — is so essential to the maintenance of a democracy, checkbook journalism is not only unethical, it threatens to undermine journalism and damage democracy.

I was just thinking that. These aren't the worthless trinkets that was once stated. This is easy cash to any "goldman".

As has been stated many times before JJD was known to drop the valuable items he stole from one residence at the site of a different attack, as detailed on pg 67 of I'll Be Gone In the Dark, and many other places:

Imgur

He was a policeman for 48 of the 49 canonical EAR attacks. He wasn't stupid enough to try to sell / fence any of his stolen items. That is exactly how the police THOUGHT they would catch him, be checking local pawn shops etc...

As for worthless trinkets, he dumped entire bags of the stuff, perhaps stolen from a dozen other houses at various times, including in this attempt to frame a strange young man, who was the neighbor of the victim of EAR attack number 6.

While LE was processing the scene, this individual showed up at the doorstep holding a plastic bag full of cheap jewelry. He introduced himself to the officer who met him at the door, then walked through the front door and past that officer. He walked through the front room and to the back patio door. From there he pointed out his bedroom. He scanned the house eagerly. He asked if Heather was alright. LE told them they were processing a burglary and led him out. The suspect showed them the bag of jewelry and explained that he found it in his mother's room. His parents were out of town and he didn't think it was theirs. He said he didn't know how it got there, but that he would check with her when she got home. He had noticed the cops there so he wanted to check with them too.

Cold Case: East Area Rapist | Original Night Stalker | Golden State Killer

My own opinions...

Last edited:
Correct, imo. That has been stated.

That scenario also doesn't preclude other scenarios, imo. He tossed some things out, and he kept some as souvenirs, sold some for cash, etc.

As has been stated many times before JJD was known to drop the valuable items he stole from one residence at the site of a different attack, as detailed on pg 67 of I'll Be Gone In the Dark, and many other places:

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/vQ38ApQ"><a href="//imgur.com/vQ38ApQ"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

My own opinions...

rsff

A new article, stating that JJD has been conclusively ruled out as being responsible for the deaths of Rhonda Wicht and her son Donald in Simi Valley in 1978:

DNA rules out Golden State Killer suspect Joseph DeAngelo in 1978 double-murder

Her ex, Mr Craig Coley, spent almost four decades in jail for the crime. In my own opinion, Mr Coley remains - by far - the likeliest suspect in the murders.

Imgur

He was a policeman for 48 of the 49 canonical EAR attacks. He wasn't stupid enough to try to sell / fence any of his stolen items. That is exactly how the police THOUGHT they would catch him, be checking local pawn shops etc...

As for worthless trinkets, he dumped entire bags of the stuff, perhaps stolen from a dozen other houses at various times, including in this attempt to frame a strange young man, who was the neighbor of the victim of EAR attack number 6.

My own opinions...

Well he was stupid enough to shoplift and get caught but lucky they didn't look deeper at the time. I think he got someone to fence them for him. The whole thing with a fence is that it is illegal. He could also have pawned it or sold it privately too. The type of valuable items in the warrant list would always fetch a good price - he may have a safety deposit box even. ( I assume LE would have checked this).

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member