CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #4

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a You Tube video from the Sacramento DA's Office explaining how they identified the suspect in the Golden State Killer case:

delete2-smiley.gif

Interesting, the disgraced former Colonel Russell Williams, was also known to sit motionless for long periods of time.
Investigator Who Caught Alleged Serial Killer Tells All
May 7 2019 rbbm.
"Holes recalled the day they brought DeAngelo in."
"Once [DeAngelo] was placed in that interview room, he was in a posture that he did not move from for over an hour," he told Fox News. "He was absolutely motionless. He did a very slight movement and we're like, 'He's moving!' And then he would stop and freeze. I've never met anyone who's been able to be so motionless for so long."

Holes believed it was this ability that allowed DeAngelo to stalk his prey.

"This was a guy who had the physical ability to go into somebody's backyard, be in the shadows and just go absolutely motionless for hours while he's watching what's going on inside the house," he said.

Once DeAngelo was captured, Holes said he felt an empty void in his life.

"For me, I spent all my time in the last few years of being active pursuing the Golden State Killer," he said. "I did not realize what a part of my life that case was until DeAngelo was taken into custody . . . I just felt this void. I wasn't on the hunt like I was before."

The emptiness led him to launch a new podcast, "The Murder Squad," with investigative journalist Billy in which they look at unsolved cases of murders and missing persons."

There is a debate about the death penalty in this case. My feeling is the defendant in this case looks like he is dying anyway so will not make it to the electric chair or whatever method these DA's choose to use:

Dudley Seeks Death Penalty for “Golden State Killer”
There’s a good possibility he will die before the first day of trial which is still some time away. This case is much more complex than the Grim Sleeper’s case and his took 8 years to get to trial. Sacramento doesn’t have enough Judges or courtrooms to deal with their regular cases. We used to bring our civil cases to trial within 18 months to 2 years. Nowadays we are lucky if we get a courtroom in 4-5 years. His case does have priority because it’s a criminal case and also because of his age but he’s not the only elderly criminal waiting to go to trial.

There’s a good possibility he will die before the first day of trial which is still some time away. This case is much more complex than the Grim Sleeper’s case and his took 8 years to get to trial. Sacramento doesn’t have enough Judges or courtrooms to deal with their regular cases. We used to bring our civil cases to trial within 18 months to 2 years. Nowadays we are lucky if we get a courtroom in 4-5 years. His case does have priority because it’s a criminal case and also because of his age but he’s not the only elderly criminal waiting to go to trial.

This will probably get me in trouble but of course in my opinion he is not even the actual offender.

This will probably get me in trouble but of course in my opinion he is not even the actual offender.
It shouldn’t get you into trouble. It is your opinion which is why I personally enjoy Websleuths. It’s good to hear different perspectives. We are in uncharted territory with the genetic genealogy. It will be very interesting to see what the courts say about it in the coming years. I am sure there will be appeals and some surprises along the way (not necessarily with this case but with one or more of the cases that have supposedly been resolved via genetic genealogy).

Thanks for the interest and I am not going to get into a long discussion on Websleuths as it is not place but again in my opinion this is a mispercetion that EAR/ONS was even from California. He was only ever visiting and in the 1970s was likely stationed at a military base like Mather. This used to be a prevalent theory. He once said to a victim about an Officers Club on a military base. He had a bull tattoo because he was based out of Norfolk Virginia. Therefore the case started and ended in Virginia and the only thing that will end in that Sacramento courtroom is an innocent mans life in my opinion if those DA's are allowed to continue with their current actions which hopefully they will not be able to do. Thanks for the interest in my post and as I say I am not going to get into a big debate here. I am of course very sorry for all the people he victimised in this case and their relatives.

Last edited:
Thanks for the interest and I am not going to get into a long discussion on Websleuths as it is not place but again in my opinion this is a mispercetion that EAR/ONS was even from California. He was only ever visiting and in the 1970s was likely stationed at a military base like Mather. This used to be a prevalent theory. He once said to a victim about an Officers Club on a military base. He had a bull tattoo because he was based out of Norfolk Virginia. Therefore the case started and ended in Virginia and the only thing that will end in that Sacramento courtroom is an innocent mans life in my opinion if those DA's are allowed to continue with their current actions which hopefully they will not be able to do. Thanks for the interest in my post and as I say I am not going to get into a big debate here. I am of course very sorry for all the people he victimised in this case and their relatives.
Right but he was a cop in Exeter for the Ransackings and a cop in Auburn for EAR attacks.

Right but he was a cop in Exeter for the Ransackings and a cop in Auburn for EAR attacks.
I haven't followed this case closely, but came across something recently causing me to look into it.
The timeline of the crimes, correlating with incidents in JJD's life is remarkable.
https://image.ibb.co/jHpAoc/deangelo_timeline.jpg

However there are a few things unconfirmed on the timeline, or not that precise. What I get in more detail is:

May, 1973: JJD hired by Exeter PD
Nov, 1973: JJD marries in Auburn, Sacramento
April, 1974: first burglary with MO of Visalia Ransacker in Exeter area.
December 1975: last crime of Visalia Ransacker, when he was almost caught by a Visalia police officer.
June, 1976: first rape with the MO of the East Area Rapist in Sacramento
August, 1976: JJD transferred from Exeter PD to the Auburn PD in Sacramento.
August, 1976: EAR embarks on spree, with rapes days apart.
July 5, 1979: last known attempted rape with the MO of the East Area Rapist. There had been murder of witnesses during this spree.
July 21, 1979: JJD arrested for shoplifting
October, 1979: JJD fired from Auburn PD
October 1, 1979: first attempted murder in Southern California, with the MO of the Original Night Stalker. Murders were many months apart.
July 27, 1981: last murder in SoCal in the crime spree of the Original Night Stalker.
Sept, 1981: JJD's first child born.
May, 1986: murder in SoCal linked by DNA with the Original Night Stalker.
1987: first use of DNA to convict a rapist

Ie, what I see is possibly this pattern in JJD's life:
1. Gets job as cop and marries
2. Goes on burglary spree, kills to prevent detection
3. Is almost caught in burglary spree, and stops.
4. Commits rape in different area
5. Transfers to job in that area and intensifies rape spree. Kills to prevent detection.
6. Caught shoplifting and is fired, stops rape spree.
7. Begins murder spree in different area
8. First child is born, stops murder spree
9. 5 years later, commits a rape/ murder.
10. Realizes might be caught through DNA, and stops committing crimes.

I get the impression he was really into this secret life as a terrorizing criminal, completely separate from his persona of cop/husband. He was determined he would never get caught, and was quite capable of deliberately stopping and moving his crimes elsewhere, but intensifying them.

I personally think career/marriage/fatherhood has more to do with his crime sprees than what some profilers credit.

Note: I have added more precise dates than the Reddit timeline, based on these sources:
Wikipedia

The 'Visalia Ransacker' is suspected of breaking into dozens of homes from April 1974 through December 1975"
East Area Rapist arrest has police scouring old files. Is a 13th murder charge to come?
- Timeline: List of Golden State Killer attacks
-

Last edited:
I haven't followed this case closely, but came across something recently causing me to look into it.
The timeline of the crimes, correlating with incidents in JJD's life is remarkable.
https://image.ibb.co/jHpAoc/deangelo_timeline.jpg

However there are a few things unconfirmed on the timeline, or not that precise. What I get in more detail is:

May, 1973: JJD hired by Exeter PD
Nov, 1973: JJD marries in Auburn, Sacramento
April, 1974: first burglary with MO of Visalia Ransacker in Exeter area.
December 1975: last crime of Visalia Ransacker, when he was almost caught by a Visalia police officer.
June, 1976: first rape with the MO of the East Area Rapist in Sacramento
August, 1976: JJD transferred from Exeter PD to the Auburn PD in Sacramento.
August, 1976: EAR embarks on spree, with rapes days apart.
July 5, 1979: last known attempted rape with the MO of the East Area Rapist. There had been murder of witnesses during this spree.
July 21, 1979: JJD arrested for shoplifting
October, 1979: JJD fired from Auburn PD
October 1, 1979: first attempted murder in Southern California, with the MO of the Original Night Stalker. Murders were many months apart.
July 27, 1981: last murder in SoCal in the crime spree of the Original Night Stalker.
Sept, 1981: JJD's first child born.
May, 1986: murder in SoCal linked by DNA with the Original Night Stalker.
1987: first use of DNA to convict a rapist

Ie, what I see is possibly this pattern in JJD's life:
1. Gets job as cop and marries
2. Goes on burglary spree, kills to prevent detection
3. Is almost caught in burglary spree, and stops.
4. Commits rape in different area
5. Transfers to job in that area and intensifies rape spree. Kills to prevent detection.
6. Caught shoplifting and is fired, stops rape spree.
7. Begins murder spree in different area

I get the impression he was really into this secret life as a terrorizing criminal, completely separate from his persona of cop/husband. He was determined he would never get caught, and was quite capable of deliberately stopping and moving his crimes elsewhere, but intensifying them.

I personally think career/marriage/fatherhood has more to do with his crime sprees than what some profilers credit.

Note: I have added more precise dates than the Reddit timeline, based on these sources:
Wikipedia

The 'Visalia Ransacker' is suspected of breaking into dozens of homes from April 1974 through December 1975"
East Area Rapist arrest has police scouring old files. Is a 13th murder charge to come?
- Timeline: List of Golden State Killer attacks
-
Great work.

IMO there is no need to understand the 'why' he did it. When there was no suspect, and case was still wide open, yes it was important to find a motive to find the guy.

Now that there is a suspect, with forensic evidence to link to him, I think the timeline of major events of his life, being mapped perfectly to the timeline of GSK, is enough circumstantial evidence. Who knows what he was thinking, he must be rare species for even profilers to come across.

Edit to add, major events in one's life, such as a new career, marriage, family, move house/area, is known to be major stressors for the average person.
MOO

-

Hi Satchie, the problem is this data is culled from such a small portion of the offender's actual crimes. These are only the ransackings, rapes and murders that police were competent enough to link. I strongly believe the information undeniably indicates this offender was active as a burglar since the late 1950s and active as a rapist and murderer from the early 60s well into the 2000s. I believe the 5 year gap in the ONS timeline and the claim this serial killer stopped in 1986 is absurd and only due to the incompetence of law enforcement and how poorly everyone else has ever looked into these murders.

Last edited:
Hi Satchie, the problem is this data is culled from such a small portion of the offender's actual crimes. These are only the ransackings, rapes and murders that police were competent enough to link. I strongly believe the information undeniably indicates this offender was active as a burglar since the late 1950s and active as a rapist and murderer from the early 60s well into the 2000s. I believe the 5 year gap in the ONS timeline and the claim this serial killer stopped in 1986 is absurd and only due to the incompetence of law enforcement and how poorly everyone else has ever looked into these murders.
Certainly, people are entitled to believe anything they want, including that the DNA evidence was fabricated, and that police don't know how to do their jobs, but if that's what websleuths is about: just making up and declaring pet theories based on zero evidence, then I can't see the point in participating.

Here appears to be a clip about from a recent report. It is about whether an innocent man served prison time for the Golden State Killer's crimes:

Yes indeed and here is the Murder Inc exclusive on the Visalia Ransacker targeting Oscar Clifton's family and the person he was with on the day of the murder: Framed

Thanks I will take a look I definitely think the Golden State Killer did not care about other people taking the wrap for his crimes and left false clues or red herrings to encourage this kind of thing and if you excuse the phrase with his wicked sense of humour he would have enjoyed LE making fools of themselves in his crimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WhokilledBettie?