CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Why should they? DeAngelo deserved the death penalty for his crimes not life without parole....
If they're "somewhere" (I don't think so 'cause I'm atheist but it's just my opinion...) they might be outraged not smiling and having a drink...

Pedretti is wrong.
DeAngelo won. Now he's lifer and he's gonna die in prison but he spent all his life walking free on the streets.
Being in prison in your 40s is not like being in prison when you're 70 years old.
End of the story: he won....(unfortunately)

@10minute, I see you are a new member that joined recently on July 22nd and @Waller just this past Monday

As do many here at WS (for reasons we have discussed over the years) I support more the victims, and especially the well lengthy victim statement at this link, which so eloquently states that from the time of his arrest he's playing another "mask" of one who should be put in a jail which he is pampered due to his performance of being frail... vs. hard prison.

Queue up to ~36:45 at this link for my thoughts for which I align. I didn't timestamp one of the other reasons that folks here may be even moreso for life vs. death... in that many of the victims are now to the age where they not only may have difficulties going to all the appeals if a death sentence, but they may not be alive to do such and will always worry about such.

All moo, and unfortunately, I am not in a position to give a lengthy diatribe to explain more.

MOO

The DP in California has been put on hold and no executions are occurring and haven't for quite awhile. DeAngelo would never actually be executed even if he did get the DP. He'll be long dead before they even process the next 10 death row inmates, and there are something like 700 in the queue. This way the state saves millions of $$$, gets him sentenced and off to prison for the rest of his life, there won't be any appeals, and he can rot. The victims and family members will still get *their* day(s) in court, saying everything they want, as long as they want, and DeAngelo will have to sit there, pretending he's an incapacitated demented old man (which is all an act IMO).

IMO

You said much better than I did, thanks.

ETA:
Also.. can someone assist me in a question for which I'm ignorant please. At 38:20 in the above link, the victim holds up a shredded paper sculpture in court... I'm not familiar with the background on such... can someone enlighten/explain? Thanks!

Last edited:
Of course the "real winning" for him would be never ever getting caught, as you already said. I agree.
Anyways what happens to him is, in my opinion, some kind of winning:
1) in theory he deserved lethal injection but he got life because California had de facto abolished the capital punishment and prosecutors made a smart agreement with his attorneys (first victory);
2) you said he's now locked in his cell 23 hours per day. True. But he's 72, some old people spend all the day 24hours at home without going out. If he were 32 it would be a REAL tragedy for him;
3) some inmate could kill him...well...as far as I know murders in prison are sporadic (at least in developed countries like ours);
4) honestly Madeleine74 do you really think this man care about other people's opinion? He doesn't give a damn about being unmasked as a serial killer, a maniac (and unbelievably this is his only good personality trait, because nobody should care about what the others think about them)!

Interesting insights. Do you think that he is even impacted by the shame or any impact to his psych as to his wife and children finding all this out? Do you feel /can point out any "hurt" points such as that for him now?

Niner,
Thank you for your great recaps. You are such a wonderful member of Websleuths and we all appreciate your hard work.
Today August 20th Debbi Domingo McMullan gives her statement. I have started a thread to wish her well on Facebook. Feel free to comment.
Tricia Arrington Griffith

Does anyone have a link for such so that we here can witness in real time?

I totally missed this was going on now.

I've not been on this thread for a very very long time... so not up on live feeds daily to view. If someone can throw up here, TIA

Niner,
Thank you for your great recaps. You are such a wonderful member of Websleuths and we all appreciate your hard work.
Today August 20th Debbi Domingo McMullan gives her statement. I have started a thread to wish her well on Facebook. Feel free to comment.
Tricia Arrington Griffith

Hey Tricia!
Why thank you !
vil-up2.gif
it is my pleasure!

Does anyone have a link for such so that we here can witness in real time?

I totally missed this was going on now.

I've not been on this thread for a very very long time... so not up on live feeds daily to view. If someone can throw up here, TIA

Disregard request from above this am.... I found a feed that was uploaded 2 1/2 hours ago...

I still cannot find the significance of above request if anyone here can help TIA

ETA:
Also.. can someone assist me in a question for which I'm ignorant please. At 38:20 in the above link, the victim holds up a shredded paper sculpture in court... I'm not familiar with the background on such... can someone enlighten/explain? Thanks!

Last edited:
Survivors of Golden State Killer and His Ex-Fiancée Confront Him at Sentencing

Jane Carson-Sandler
SANTIAGO MEJIA/POOL/EPA-EFE/Shutterstock
''Jane Carson-Sandler, who was attacked in her home in 1976, came to court Wednesday with DeAngelo’s former fiancée Bonnie Ueltzen, who described him to KCRA as "abusive." During one of DeAngelo’s attacks, his victim reported that he shouted, “I hate you, Bonnie.”

Ueltzen stood nearby when Carson-Sandler spoke.

“When she saw who you really were, she was done with you,″ Carson-Sandler said, according to the AP. “I can see that ’I hate you, Bonnie' was a result of your frustration, because you lost control over her. But she bears none, none of that responsibility for your violent choices, and we consider her one of us — the sister-survivors of your malicious attacks.”

Ueltzen didn’t speak in court but was interviewed by KCRA outside the courtroom. She said DeAngelo didn't look at her during the court proceeding.
"He never looked toward me," she said. "But I didn’t see any reaction. I call rubbish on this whole act of sitting there unable to open his eyes and close his mouth. I think he’s been acting for the last 60 years of his life trying to be a normal person."

Interesting insights. Do you think that he is even impacted by the shame or any impact to his psych as to his wife and children finding all this out? Do you feel /can point out any "hurt" points such as that for him now?
I'm not a psychologist but I think he does not care at all about what his wife and children feel :cool:

I just watched after searching the net for the testimony of Debbie Domingo @Tricia spoke of. What Debbie spoke of was so very eloquent. I so much need and want to discuss... where oh where to have discussion now?

ETA: This is the landmark case... and there must be a place to discuss but no posts here on WS?

Where is everyone? Is there another thread at WS? There must be?

If there is not.. SMH that this is one of the most important cases in US history , for geneology and victims... and no one is in this thread talking?

Last edited:
I just watched after searching the net for the testimony of Debbie Domingo @Tricia spoke of. What Debbie spoke of was so very eloquent. I so much need and want to discuss... where oh where to have discussion now?

ETA: This is the landmark case... and there must be a place to discuss but no posts here on WS?

If there is not.. SMH that this is one of the most important cases in US history , for geneology and victims... and no one is in this thread talking?
This is one of the most prolific serial killers of all time, and he would be free today if it were not for DNA testing. That sends chills up my spine just to type it. Are people not interested because the crimes are so old and the perpetrator pled guilty? Or is it just to horrific to even read about, much less watch the victim impact statements?

I think there are many discussions happening out there online, and still lots of interest, especially since HBO aired their 6-part series based on McNamera's book last month and in June and also CeCe Moore's 6-part series on finding perps through Genealogical DBs, and of course the GSK hearings that have occurred, culminating in this week's sentencing with victim impact statements.

Speaking for myself .... for all practical purposes this case is over ... especially since he admitted to all his other unsolved crimes .... and as far as victim statements I dont care to listen to them .... too much emotionalism for a man to listen too.

Speaking for myself .... for all practical purposes this case is over ... especially since he admitted to all his other unsolved crimes .... and as far as victim statements I dont care to listen to them .... too much emotionalism for a man to listen too.

This is one of the most prolific serial killers of all time, and he would be free today if it were not for DNA testing. That sends chills up my spine just to type it. Are people not interested because the crimes are so old and the perpetrator pled guilty? Or is it just to horrific to even read about, much less watch the victim impact statements?

Understood, yes, the victim impacts that I did listen to were extremely emotional and horrific, and as one said - it was too vile what happened and so never spoke of as too much of a shock and was always shrouded in secrecy. That even some of their family members didn't know of it until the arrest.

One of them this morning spoke of Bonnie, who was in court with her. Bonnie had written a victim impact, but the court would not allow her to speak as the courts did not consider her a victim.

Madeleine74 said:
JJD was 33 years old when he committed the Katie & Brian Maggiore murders in 1978. JJD was born in 1945.

Yes, I know - As I explained before on here - I'm going with his FIRST murder:
8/13/18 Update: charged in Tulare County with 1 count of 1st degree murder with use of a firearm in the death of Claude Snelling (45) (Sept. 11, 1975) in Visalia. No bond.

So - that made him 29.... birthdate: 11/8/45

Friday, August 21st:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 9am PT) - CA - Katie (20) & Brian (21) Maggiore (Feb. 2, 1978 in Rancho Cordova) - *Joseph James DeAngelo (29 @ time of crime of FIRST crime in 9/1975 /73/now 74) (East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer) - arrested (4/24/18) & formally charged (4/27/18) with 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special enhancements for burglary and rape; did not enter plea. Judge entered a not guilty plea (1/22/20). No bond. Plead guilty to a peal deal (6/15/20). Sacramento County.
Relative's (Great-great-great grandfather’s) DNA from genealogy website (GEDMatch).
8/22/18 Update: amended complaint also includes 13 new charges of kidnapping to commit robbery, with sentencing enhancements for using a firearm and a knife during those alleged crimes. Nine in Sacramento & four in Contra Costa County-stemming from sexual assaults. No bond.
4/27/18 Update: charged in Ventura County of 2 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances for being a double homicide in the deaths of Charlene (33) & Lyman (43) Smith on 3/13/80 in Ventura. No bond.
5/10/18 Update: charged in Santa Barbara County of the 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances, where investigators believe he killed Dr. Robert Offerman (44) & Dr. Debra Alexandria Manning (35) on December 30, 1979 and Cheri Domingo (35) & Gregory Sanchez (27) on July 27, 1981, all in Goleta. Each carries a possible sentence of death or life in prison without parole. No bond.
5/11/18 Update: charged in Orange County with 4 counts of 1st degree murder with special circumstances. Patrice Harrington (28) & Keith Harrington (24) on 8/19/80 in Dana Point and Manuela Witthuhn (21) on 2/26/81 in Irvine & Janelle Lisa Cruz (18) on 5/4/86 in Irvine. No bond.
8/13/18 Update: charged in Tulare County with 1 count of 1st degree murder with use of a firearm in the death of Claude Snelling (45) (Sept. 11, 1975) in Visalia. No bond.
Trial was set to begin on 5/12/20 has been cancelled due to the coronavirus. Plead guilty to ALL 72 counts.
Court hearings from 5/2/18 to 6/29/20 (guilty pleas) & Sentencing Days 1-3 (8/17/20 & 8/19/20) of sentencing reference post #188 here:
CA - CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #5

8/19/20 Update: The California Dept. of Corrections & Rehabilitation issued a statement reading: “(CDCR) halted all intake from county jails as one of the many measures implemented to mitigate the spread of COVID-19. And at this time, CDCR does not know where Joseph DeAngelo may be housed.” At the time being he will stay at the Sacramento County jail.

8/20/20 Day 4 of sentencing: DeAngelo is back in court for the final day of testimony from loved ones of the Golden State Killer's murder victims. Although Bonnie Ueltzen, (his ex-fiance) was not permitted to personally deliver her own statement, accuser Jane Carson-Sandler took the liberty of sharing some of Ueltzen’s words. Sacramento County Superior Court Judge Michael Bowman will formally sentence DeAngelo to consecutive life prison sentences on Friday, 8/21/20 under a plea deal that will spare him the death penalty.

Today's feed for those that want to bear witness, and stand by the victims.

He looks like Hannibel Lecter being wheeled in at the beginning... *shivers*

(Part One of sentencing today)

Last edited:
As a victim stated... vile... just VILE for him now to even state such.

Pilar Melendez [URL='https://twitter.com/pbmelendez']@pbmelendez [/URL]
1m
BREAKING: Joseph DeAngelo, aka the Golden State Killer, just *apologized* to his victims and their family members. “I sat and listened to each of your statements, every one of them. And I’m sorry to everyone that I hurt,” he said in court Friday at his sentencing hearing.

Final is 11 life sentences, + one more life + 8 years.

(No parole)

Fees and fines also applicable

Feed hears a burst into applause twice (since COVID, assume from media room or ?)

Must submit to an AIDS test

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GoldenGirl1971
Back