CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
besides Michelles book are their any other good books written about this case, thanks

There are also two books written by former LE investigators who worked the case. Sudden Terror by Larry Crompton and Hunting a Psychopath by Richard Shelby.

You know, when I worked nights- I would often stay up all night on my nights off just to have a regular sleep/ wake cycle. I wonder if he also did this- esp. since cops (unlike nurses) work eight-hour shifts, it's not that much of a stretch to do two more nights awake, sleep consistently during the day.
This! Yes, my coworkers would try to stay on their shift hours, even on days off.

Good grief, this case. After I read JJD actually broke into his victims' houses, emptied bullets from their guns, ate food, etc., I certainly did not sleep well last night.

Yikes.
1. the weapons should've been locked up if no one is home
..a. if the lock is broken--hey!--you know something is wrong
2. unless he hit near the time they got home, the owners should check the weapon
..a especially if the house was broken into
..for home defense, check the weapon--especially before going to sleep
3.if not locked, the weapons should be hidden--very hard to find -with trigger lock at least
4. these weapons are not cheap--why leave something like that laying around for some one to steal??
..I hide my valuables/etc when I leave--laptops especially
..this is basic security sense--which a lot of people don't have

a big problem with firearms is that they are stolen--easily!!
the big story of Kate Steinle murder--gun stolen from backpack in a car!!!!!!! this is ridiculous--insane
https://www.mercurynews.com/2016/12...n-blm-gun-in-familys-suit-against-government/
the NY espaped prisoners got their weapon from an unoccupied home !!
I had one car accident in about 5 years...very rare--yes? the guy I ran into told me about his pistol being stolen!!
https://www.americanprogress.org/issues/guns-crime/reports/2017/07/25/436533/stolen-guns-america/

JMO of course. JJD's second child was born in November of 1986. This is the year of his last attack, actually murder and it occurred in May of 1986. His wife would have been in her first trimester at that time.
Sounds like the good news may have satisfied his craving to continue.

Qmfr:

(O/T, I recall posting in another case about a confirmed link between a DNA ancestry type company and a criminal case...so I know it DOES happen, moo...will see if I can find it, fwiw...it was a female doctor/analyst who worked for the company who also assisted LE, iirc...)

Amazing news btw. Just getting caught up. Between this and Bill Cosby's guilty verdict...fantastic!

(Eta: Talk about one of the most vicious and brazen killers ever!)

(Eta: upon a quick Google search I found this as an example, not the case I'm thinking of specifically though:

Man became suspect in murder and rape case after DNA his father donated to Mormon genetic research was sold to Ancestry.com and then tested by police
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...investigators-seek-private-DNA-databases.html )

(Looking through my posts, so far, I found this (from Abby's and Libby's thread), still looking for the one I'm thinking of specifically :

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...Delphi-13-Feb-2017-63&p=13511132#post13511132

"margarita25
07-19-2017,*01:58 PM

"I'm unhappy with how law enforcement is handling my case. Can I send you a DNA sample of someone I suspect committed a crime, and have you analyze it?

At the present time, we are only providing this service to law enforcement and Federal government agencies. We'd be happy to speak with the detectives handling your case, if they express interest in learning more about the service.

Who has used it so far?

For the past four years, the development of Snapshot has been funded by the United States Department of Defense (DOD), specifically the Defense Threat Reduction Agency. As part of the development and validation process, Snapshot has been tested on thousands of out-of-sample genotypes and has been shown to be extremely accurate. In addition to the DOD, Snapshot has been used by State and local police departments throughout the US, and private citizens seeking ancestry information.

Please see our gallery of*Published Police Investigations*for a number of publicly available Snapshot profiles.

How well does Snapshot work with mixed samples?

DNA should be from a single individual or with ≤10% contribution from a second individual. If a two-person mixture has a mixture proportion >10%, please discuss such cases with Parabon, as mixture deconvolution may be possible (e.g., if victim DNA is available)."

https://snapshot.parabon-nanolabs.com/faq"

"Published Police Investigations

"Although Parabon has produced Snapshot DNA Phenotyping Reports for a large number of different federal, state, local, and international law enforcement agencies, many of these reports are considered confidential, as their release may interfere with ongoing investigations.

The Snapshot predictions displayed below, however, have been released publicly as persons of interest in their respective cases. If you have information pertaining to the identity and/or location of these individuals, you are encouraged to contact the numbers listed in the report."

https://snapshot.parabon-nanolabs.com/posters "

Eta: I look over referring back to old conversations!

https://www.websleuths.com/forums/s...-Delphi-13-Feb-2017-9&p=13175889#post13175889

"02-24-2017, 08:23 AM#871
TTF14

Are you implying that LE would have access to Ancestry.com's database?" )

The poor thing. Can you imagine. Going through life hearing about this monster, then waking up one glorious morning to hear your brother is the infamous Visalia Ransacker, Eastside Rapist, Original Night Stalker, and Golden State Killer.
He probably would have raped and killed her too, but that would have lead right to him, and ruined his fun right quick.
These scum don't care about anything or anyone except for when it serves a superficial purposes. To make a pretty happy normal picture to hide behind.
I bet he got off on her, as well as Mother's and probably his own daughters fear of this UNSUB.
That's what cowardly scum like that do.

Does anyone know where Deangelo was in February 1964, or in December 1969?

I just had a thought: If JJD had a smell about him that many victims mentioned, I would think his wife/family would also notice that smell from his body or clothes. If he drove, it would be difficult to eliminate that odor from his car. He didn't cycle or walk to each crime scene, did he? I have have this nagging feeling his wife suspected something, unless they lived separately.

I was thinking his father was likely in the military as well, and was serving abroad. My American military is not as front of the line as my Canadian, forgive me.

This is what I suspected when I saw his Father listed as being in Korea in the wedding announcement. It is possible his Dad was career military and was stationed in Korea.

Can someone comment on how the East Area Rapist sketches came about? I was under the impression that none of the survivors saw his face during the attacks.

Can someone comment on how the East Area Rapist sketches came about? I was under the impression that none of the survivors saw his face during the attacks.

Some of the sketches are of a man in a mask, showing just his eyes.

Other sketches that are said to be the EAR/ONS actually were simply sketches of "suspicious persons seen in the area around the time of the attacks."

attachment.php

This image above ^^^ is the fbi sketch, which I personally think looks a lot like him. This one came about from a witness who was in the area of the Maggiore murders.

Attachments

• fbi-wanted.png
    fbi-wanted.png
    256.5 KB · Views: 304
Also for people who said Ancestry.com was own by LDS....I think you may be confusing it with the site FamilySearch.org. That is one of the best sites concerning genealogical documentation and it is owned by the LDS. :)

I wonder what happened to his eyebrows. In his younger pictures he did have eyebrows lol

He may have a thyroid problem, though AFAIK hypothyroid usually only causes the outer third of the eyebrows to be lost.

Does anyone know where Deangelo was in February 1964, or in December 1969?

Can only find- 1964- received his GED did not complete HS at Folsom HS
5/70 worked at Sierra Crane and Hoist in Newcastle (CA. ??)

Another article about the DNA and whether there should be privacy concerns. (IMO it is a ludicrous proposition that we shouldn't be able to catch a guy like this one using all available information or that doing so invades anyones privacy - its not like a machine scanning DNA profiles also captures images of you in the shower).

https://mashable.com/2018/04/26/golden-state-killer-joseph-james-deangelo-dna-ancestry-websites/

There are multiple layers of privacy issues, not just law enforcement.

Privacy concerns also apply to genetic or other health conditions/predispositions that insurance companies have no right to access. Ever. Period. If they could get access to them, they could deny coverage or price customers out for any number of discriminatory and unethical reasons. Nope. Nope. Nope. ... That’s one big layer in that issue, and there must be rules/processes/protections in place to keep that information safe.

It’s what shut down sites like 23 and me for awhile, too, at least as far as DNA testing goes.

Sure, I’m for helping law enforcement. Sure, yes, the DNA data is important and should happen. AT THE SAME TIME, there must be a framework in place to protect privacy.

Totally agree.. some of he’s victims said that he didn’t seem that interested in the sex act itself.

Castration won’t make any difference, I agree. Police have also said he was a rare type of attacker who could and did achieve sexual “gratification” with his victims. If not via rape, then masturbating at the scene. He left the proof at some scenes.

Apologies for my graphic language.

Ugh. What a sicko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members