CA CA - Elizabeth 'Beth' Funchess, 6 mos, San Jose, 9 Sept 1977

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm glad to see that people are still remembering, and trying to figure out who murdered Diane, and where Baby Beth ended up. If my sleuthing is correct, Ken is now 69 years old. If we assume that a contemporary of his committed the crime, then that individual may be approaching their golden years, and starting to wonder about entering the Pearly Gates...or not. We can only hope for some type of confession, even after all these years. I still believe that this case will be solved. I also noticed (through my websleuthing), that Ken Funchess joined an online group "POMC" - "Parents of Murdered Children." I was not aware that Beth's disappearance was ruled a murder, or that any body was ever found, unlike Diane's. Does anyone have any info on this? There is no reason to believe she isn't alive and well....somewhere.

Keep this conversation alive people. Someone is going to confess. Even after all these years. Betcha.

I've never forgotten you Diane.
-RosesfromAngels

Hollywood Bound...the Elizabeth Funchess you mention living in FLA/age 32 is African-American. Baby Beth was caucasian. I found the Elizabeth in FLA/age 32 on Facebook. Nice looking lady, but not the right Funchess.

It would be great to find this missing child. How awful for the father to not know what happened to her!

I believe the key to solving this case is with the Locatelli Ranch in the Santa Cruz mountains. Her husband worked for them at one time, and her body was found close to the ranch in a shallow grave I believe. Oddly enough, the police were working with a psychic <modsnip>who gave some eearily accurate details of where the body could be found. She said the baby was alive.
My memory is foggy on all the above points after so many years, but I believe the above is accurate.
I have found this article from 10th April 1978. They give the date of Diane's disappearance as September 6th 1977. It mentions that the TV cord was severed and taken away, perhaps to tie Diane's hands but with no ransom demand ever made, the FBI didn't get involved. Diane's parents hired 4 psychics who you can see give differing opinions on what happened. One says Diane left voluntarily with a man as she wasn't getting along with her husband and had a link to the name Santa Clara ( I notice rosesfromangels here mentioned Santa Cruz). Other psychics say Diane is dead however all 4 thought Elizabeth was alive at the writing of the article - http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=5pVjAAAAIBAJ&sjid=a3oNAAAAIBAJ&dq=diane-funchess&pg=1263%2C2671733

Thank you CTaylor for the links to the old articles about all the psychic visions on the Diane Funchess (and Baby Beth) murder/abduction. These articles helped shake loose some old memories. First, I remember the reporter Ron Laytner very well. I remember he said he was going to chronicle Diane's dissapearance in a book he was going to call "The Psychic Search." I guess that never came to be, but in checking on his status...he is quite a decorated photojournalist/journalist. I remember him as very high energy, and quite glib.

I do remember all the psychic leads that were being tracked, but I remember the one psychic's prediction proved accurate. I thought that was Clarisa Bernhardt? She did predict how, and where Diane's remains would be found. (In a shallow grave after the rains). I remember seeing a clip on the news (maybe ten years later) of her Dad standing next to where they found her body in the Santa Cruz mountains, near the Locatelli Ranch, where her husband worked at one time.

I remember there were many theories on her dissapearance at the time. Her husband Ken was initially the prime suspect, as husbands always are. He mentioned to me that he and Diane had gone through some rough times, but that once they purchased a water bed, things picked up, and then the baby was born. I thought this was a very strange thing to be telling me (I was a stranger to him, a volunteer (I had a friend that knew the family), who was helping post flyers on the dissapearance of Diane and Beth.)

I remember that Ken was under great scrutiny for two specific reasons, other than just being the husband, and therefore the usual prime suspect. First, a bloody hunting bag was found in the garage but did prove to be deers blood from a hunt he had conducted the day before (or of) the dissapearance. Strange coincidence....Second, there was a good friend of theirs, "J", who was a glitzy, buxom blonde. I remember lots of speculation on the nature of "J's" and Ken's friendship. None the less, I was told that Ken did pass his polygraph.

One thing is consistent in my memory. All the psychics and police experts believed that Baby Beth was alive. The common theory was a black market baby abduction. The child was blonde/blue eyed and beautiful. I would also say that the article where the one psychic suggests that Diane left on her own accord does not seem probable considering she could not see without her thick glasses, which were left behind with her purse, diaper bag, etc.

Thank you again CTaylor for the news articles. It really shook loose some old memories. SOMEONE OUT THERE KNOWS WHO KILLED DIANE FUNCHESS and took BABY BETH. It's been over thirty years, but I can never forget her. All of you on this thread, please don't give up. Diane deserves justice. God Bless.

<respectfully snipped>

Thank you again CTaylor for the news articles. It really shook loose some old memories.
No problem at all, rosesfromangels :)
Thank you for posting more personal remembrances on Diane. Of course, you are so right - someone must know what happened here....

In thinking of Baby Beth, who would now be around 36 years old, where online would someone go who always wondered if they were "adopted?" I'm just imagining Beth as a grown woman who has always felt some nagging thought in her mind about being adopted, and attempts to figure that out. I think the Angels whisper in our ears sometimes. Does anyone know a resource like that? This might be a lead in finding her.

If we find Beth, we will find Diane's murderer, or certainly the link. Who known to the Funchess's moved quickly during that timeframe? I feel strongly this was someone known to them through the Locatelli connection (he worked for the Locatelli Ranch at one point, and Diane's body was found in a shallow grave close to the Ranch in the Santa Cruz Mountains.) I never heard much about the investigators vigorously investigating, or ruling out this theory, but I do remember it discussed at the time of her dissapearance. A known assailant makes sense. Someone who had a grudge with them for some reason, knew she was pregnant, and plotted this for some time? Of course I could be completely wrong, but these are my thoughts. Who had a grudge with Ken Funchess?

I'm going to continue to think of ways that Beth could be found. I would just think that she might have an instinct that she is "adopted", and seek to figure that out.

Update. Now I understand why the Locatelli connection was never vigorously investigated, or at least discussed more. The Locatelli family is very prominent, with very high level political connections. I always wondered why more wasn't made of the fact that Diane's body was found near their ranch, where Ken Funchess used to work. Perhaps the Locatelli's (as horrified as all of us), pulled in some favors to quickly supress the unfavorable connection. Of course, who could blame them. None the less, I still think that whoever worked with Ken Funchess at that ranch, would be interesting to talk to. Just my thoughts....

I knew Diane when she lived in South Florida. I've recently gotten the urge to hunt some more. I contacted a PI in Santa Cruz and a writer who is doing a book on cold cases. If you get this, would you e-mail be directly at bbclayton@earthlink.net

Thanks.

doing some research, I found Elizabeth Funchess NamUs Report.
https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/6089

I'm a newbie at looking @ NamUs. on the page that says DNA, it says sample submitted-test complete...what does that mean? Anyone know?

Also, this link--> http://forthelost.wordpress.com/2011/09/06/elizabeth-funchess-missing-thirty-four-years/ has a pic of little Elizabeth.[/QUOTE

Sample DNA test might mean they have a sample from the father, possibly even the deceased remains of the mother, and collected something from the baby's belongings...like hair from a brush. That's my guess.

I keep checking back here from time to time wondering and hoping that Diane's case will be solved, and Baby Beth will be identified living a happy and healthy life somewhere with a family of her own. I've never forgotten you Diane, and I believe some day we will indeed find out. This has to weigh very heavily on someone's conscience. I pray they will do the right thing, and come forward...even after all these many, many years.

strange case

To all of you on this chain, I am Beth's cousin and I am taking on the mission of finding her.
Beth and Diane were taken 4 days before I was born and Beth and I are just 6 months apart. I am looking for any leads to find her.
We hope she is looking for us too! I started a Facebook page that has everything I have found so far. It is public and can be found under the name Elizabeth Dorothy Funchess. I've posted a baby picture of Beth, the last known family photo, Missing posters from the time of disappearance and links to records about the case.
As many of you know, Diane's body was found in September 1981. We hope Beth is still out there.
Beth likely has light brown hair and blue-gray eyes if she is alive today. She is 36 years old but there is good chance her real birthdate was changed which would have her thinking she is a bit younger or a bit older. There is a good chance she needs glasses or contacts to see, as Diane did.

There is mention of a Susan Funchess in the above chain. She is my Uncle Ken's 2nd wife, they married sometime after the disappearance, and is no relation to Diane or Elizabeth.
There are very few details available about the case but I am working on the information I have so far.
I cannot tell you how happy it made me to see this dialogue about my aunty and cousin. The neighbor and Ken's friend and the woman who worked with Deedee at the bank... And those I've failed to mention, thank you so very much for your input.
Now... let's find Beth!

To all of you on this chain, I am Beth's cousin and I am taking on the mission of finding her.
Beth and Diane were taken 4 days before I was born and Beth and I are just 6 months apart. I am looking for any leads to find her.
We hope she is looking for us too! I started a Facebook page that has everything I have found so far. It is public and can be found under the name Elizabeth Dorothy Funchess. I've posted a baby picture of Beth, the last known family photo, Missing posters from the time of disappearance and links to records about the case.
As many of you know, Diane's body was found in September 1981. We hope Beth is still out there.
Beth likely has light brown hair and blue-gray eyes if she is alive today. She is 36 years old but there is good chance her real birthdate was changed which would have her thinking she is a bit younger or a bit older. There is a good chance she needs glasses or contacts to see, as Diane did.

There is mention of a Susan Funchess in the above chain. She is my Uncle Ken's 2nd wife, they married sometime after the disappearance, and is no relation to Diane or Elizabeth.
There are very few details available about the case but I am working on the information I have so far.
I cannot tell you how happy it made me to see this dialogue about my aunty and cousin. The neighbor and Ken's friend and the woman who worked with Deedee at the bank... And those I've failed to mention, thank you so very much for your input.
Now... let's find Beth!

Oh my gosh I am SO happy to see this post! I was a teenager when Diane and Beth disappeared, and helped with the search, posters, etc. I have very vivid memories of this, and have never stopped praying this case be solved. This was the reason I joined Websleuths. My boyfriend (at the time) and I actually rode around with your Uncle helping put up posters etc. I remember a journalist who was going to write a book called "The Psychic Search" because of all the psychic predictions. One of them did end up spot on as far as where Diane was found. I think it was Clarissa Bernhardt. Diane was found close to the Locatelli ranch I believe, and I recall that Ken and Diane (or Ken?) had worked there. I always felt the answer to what happened was tied to that ranch. God Bless you for taking this on. Whoever did this is most probably approaching their senior years and might want to unburden their conscience before they face the ultimate judgement.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ScoopyC
Back