Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Last edited:
I had no idea this was being discussed here on Websleuths. I have been aware of Theranos since a potential angel investor asked if my company's technology was compatible with that of Theranos about 7-8 years ago. After looking at their published patents I had to say "I have no idea". They seemed like smoke and mirrors.

But coming next is this. Pro tip: it's a bad idea to claim your assay works with a 250k smaller sample than a company that's already widely regarded as a fraud. I guess the only way to sell your your con is with an even more outrageous con.

According to the affidavit in support of the complaint, Schena touted that Arrayit is the “only laboratory in the world that offers” revolutionary “microarray technology” that allows Arrayit to test for allergy and COVID-19 based on a drop of blood that is 250,000 times smaller than the technology touted by Theranos.

We have not really discussed Balwani's case, he was convicted on 12 charges of fraud, as opposed to Holmes four charges. Balwani did not testify in his own defense, he was also convicted of charges related to patient fraud as well.

I guess that EH, blaming Balwani for everything almost worked.

"Integrity of our data". Yeah. Data can be absolutely whatever set of numbers you put in a set. Completely meaningless statement.

Mesmerizing, to people who think that the "Emperor is wearing beautiful new clothes.".

We have not really discussed Balwani's case, he was convicted on 12 charges of fraud, as opposed to Holmes four charges. Balwani did not testify in his own defense, he was also convicted of charges related to patient fraud as well.

We have a separate thread for Balwani.

We have a separate thread for Balwani.
Yes. But it is interesting to compare the convictions. Why do you think EH was convicted of four counts, to Balwani getting 12 counts? Plus the patient fraud counts.

Because he has his own thread here.

Yes. But it is interesting to compare the convictions. Why do you think EH was convicted of four counts, to Balwani getting 12 counts? Plus the patient fraud counts.
More important is what the jurors that saw all the relevant evidence and heard witness testimony thought! Seems the verdict on each charge came down to the credibility of the witnesses and what they believed about EH's intent.

For anyone who thinks this is something new in medical diagnostics, there's actually a long history of fraud. Theranos set a new bar, though, in striking it rich and finding the clueless investors with by far the deepest pockets yet.

A couple of past examples from the worlds of continuous glucose monitoring and drug testing:

The suit alleges that, during meetings with potential investors, Rosenthal used the machine on himself and claimed it had accurately read his blood sugar when in fact he had directed a Futrex employee "to program a Dream Beam to function as if it were giving a glucose reading."

"The Dream Beam readings Rosenthal demonstrated at investor meetings were meaningless and intended solely to deceive potential investors," the SEC said.

One of the whistleblowers said he toured the lab with CPS executives and observed an “overpowering and unpleasant smell of urine.” In response, a CPS executive said, “To me, it smells like money,” according to the whistleblower’s suit.

Theranos Inc. founder Elizabeth Holmes asked for a new trial, claiming a key witness in her criminal case visited her after the verdict and expressed misgivings about his testimony.

Holmes said in a Tuesday court filing that Adam Rosendorff, a former Theranos lab director, showed up at her home on Aug. 8 and explained to her partner that his testimony last fall had been twisted by prosecutors.

Elizabeth is asking for a new trial. Sigh.

Elizabeth is asking for a new trial. Sigh.

Of course. Waiting for a juror to be disqualified for some reason next.

There is an entire playbook on the strategy, done by DUI conviction John Goodman, Polo Club owner/player, heir...he has had millions to spend on his defense...he is incarcerated, but he delayed it for years. And he is still working on new strategies for appeals, dismissal, reduction of sentence...on and on...

Of course. Waiting for a juror to be disqualified for some reason next.

There is an entire playbook on the strategy, done by DUI conviction John Goodman, Polo Club owner/player, heir...he has had millions to spend on his defense...he is incarcerated, but he delayed it for years. And he is still working on new strategies for appeals, dismissal, reduction of sentence...on and on...
It worked for Scott Peterson, but fortunately not for Ghislane Maxwell.

Well, now we know the new information.

9/6/22

The misgivings that Rosendorff voiced, absent any statement that he lied or didn’t testify accurately, probably won’t convince the judge that Holmes deserves a new trial, according to Michael Weinstein, a criminal defense attorney not involved in the case.

“A witness having second thoughts and how they were generally perceived is not new in criminal trials but often don’t lead to new trials or much of anything,” Weinstein said in an email. “The burden for that is simply too high.”

Holmes, 38, was found guilty of defrauding investors and conspiracy for her role in the collapse of the blood-testing startup she founded that reached a peak valuation of $9 billion. Her ex-boyfriend and former Theranos President Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani was convicted in July of similar counts, as well as defrauding patients.

US District Judge Edward Davila on Tuesday issued an order rejecting Holmes’s long-shot attempt to get her fraud conviction thrown out, saying there was “sufficient evidence” for the jury to reach its verdict. Holmes’s bid for a new trial is another gamble that almost all white-collar criminal convicts make, and rarely win.

What a joke! Adam Rosendorff, ex-lab director at Theranos, was the primary source for the WSJ expose on Theranos. :rolleyes:

Well, now we know the new information.

9/6/22

The misgivings that Rosendorff voiced, absent any statement that he lied or didn’t testify accurately, probably won’t convince the judge that Holmes deserves a new trial, according to Michael Weinstein, a criminal defense attorney not involved in the case.

“A witness having second thoughts and how they were generally perceived is not new in criminal trials but often don’t lead to new trials or much of anything,” Weinstein said in an email. “The burden for that is simply too high.”

Holmes, 38, was found guilty of defrauding investors and conspiracy for her role in the collapse of the blood-testing startup she founded that reached a peak valuation of $9 billion. Her ex-boyfriend and former Theranos President Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani was convicted in July of similar counts, as well as defrauding patients.

US District Judge Edward Davila on Tuesday issued an order rejecting Holmes’s long-shot attempt to get her fraud conviction thrown out, saying there was “sufficient evidence” for the jury to reach its verdict. Holmes’s bid for a new trial is another gamble that almost all white-collar criminal convicts make, and rarely win.
I agree. It's kind of ridiculous that now he has second thoughts about his testimony, therefore she's not guilty. Smacks of desperation to me. Sentence her already!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Denny