CA CA - Eric Campbell, 47, from Eureka, camping Patrick Creek Area, reported missing 18 Sep 2024 *animals left at camp, hood up on truck*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

PommyMommy

#ShinelikeShanann
Reaction score
wildrivers.lostcoastoutpost.com

Searchers Are Combing Patrick Creek Area For Missing Eureka Man

Eric Campbell had set up camp about a mile up the road from U.S. 199 near where Patrick Creek meets Shelly Creek, Del Norte County Sheriff Garrett Scott said. He had brought his dogs and his cat and had camped there for a bit, but was nowhere to be found when his family went to the area in search of him, Scott said.
  • The sheriff says they did find the camp, the dogs, and the cat.
  • Eric’s camp doesn’t look like it has been disturbed.
  • His Toyota pickup truck with Montana plates was found with the hood up.
  • Eric has seizures occasionally.
  • There were a few boot prints in the creek bed nearby the camp.
  • The sheriff said it’s not clear if Eric got a ride from someone but it’s unlikely he would have left his animals.
General location:

Last edited:
I dated a boy in highschool who suffered seizures daily. They were very small seizures. You would be talking to him and his eyes would just roll back in his head for a few seconds and then he'd be back with you, no obvious signs of distress, often unaware he's had a seizure. I also worked as a nurse and assisted at times when someone was having grand maul seizures, which is another matter entirely. It would be very good to know what kind of seizures this man experiences typically, was he medicated for such?, Did he have his medication with him camping?, Were any of the animals alert animals for seizures as they can often predict them?, were attempts made to have his own dogs sniff him out or find him?

Maybe insignificant, but I grew up camping almost every weekend. We always brought our dogs and many people do. But I have never heard of someone bringing their cat before. Was that a normal thing for him? Do people bring their cats camping?
I camp a lot and have seen quite a few people with cats (although they are typically RV campers, not tent campers.) Two years ago I was camping and someone a few sites down brought their goat!

Del Norte County Sheriff's Office

DNSO SAR Missing Person Update. 09-21-24 2030 hours.

The search has continued over the past few days for 47 year old Eric Campbell. Eric was camping in the Patricks Creek area. His camp and vehicle along with his 2 dogs and cat were located by his family who reported him missing Wednesday evening. Tomorrow will be some air operations again. We ask that folks stay clear of the area to give searchers and family space. A huge thank you to Dan Bratton and the CHP for the assistance with their helicopters. Also a big thank you to all of the assisting SAR teams and Law Enforcement that have come to help with ground searches and drone operations.

Search and Rescue Mission. Public notification.

The Del Norte County Sheriff's Office currently has a Search and Rescue operation taking place in the Patricks Creek area for a missing person. The individual being searched for was camping in the area and his camp has been located along with his dogs. The name currently has been withheld for the time being for investigative purposes. There will be some aircraft in the area as well as members of the Del Norte Sheriff's Office Search and Rescue and assisting agencies. We do plan to update the public as the search continues. For now we are asking that folks avoid the area to allow searches space to conduct their operations.

The word "seizure" is not descriptive enough. There is a wide spectrum of seizure severity - as previous poster noted. Everything from focal aware seizures that aren't apparent to anyone else, up through generalized tonic-clonic seizures (used to be called grand mal) that can cause serious injury. People also can have confusion, exhaustion, etc after a seizure that can last for up to a few days. Hoping he is okay and just lost/disoriented.

According to the latest information, his camp gear and vehicle along with his 2 dogs and cat were located by his family who reported him missing Wednesday evening. They said air operations continued Sunday and they ask that folks stay clear of the area to give searchers and family space. They wanted to thank the CHP, other search and rescue, and law enforcement teams for help with drones and helicopters.

SEP 23, 2024
Scott said the terrain along the creek is brushy and rocky. Though he hadn’t seen any bears, there is a lot of “bear sign” on the west side of the creek, he said.

“He did tell the family prior to his disappearance that there was a bear with cubs that he encountered and he had used rocks to run them off,” Scott said. “There’s quite a bit of bear sign on the west side of the creek in the same area — bear scat, I guess you would call it.”

SEP 23, 2024
Scott said the terrain along the creek is brushy and rocky. Though he hadn’t seen any bears, there is a lot of “bear sign” on the west side of the creek, he said.

“He did tell the family prior to his disappearance that there was a bear with cubs that he encountered and he had used rocks to run them off,” Scott said. “There’s quite a bit of bear sign on the west side of the creek in the same area — bear scat, I guess you would call it.”
Why was the hood of his truck up? Were the truck, pets, and camp at the same location?

Leaving the hood up usually means that the vehicle stopped working. My first thought was that he was driving with is pets, had vehicle trouble, opened the hood ... were the pets in the vehicle, or at the camp? If they were in the vehicle, then it sounds like he went somewhere on foot because he had vehicle trouble. If he was on the road, I'm guessing that he shouldn't have too much trouble with bears.

I haven't looked at maps, and I need to read more media releases.

Why was the hood up? What message is that when nothing else is disturbed?

Wow, I occasionally watch scary bear attacks on YouTube - so that's a terrifying thought. Mom with cub(s) or protecting a food cache are top reasons for an attack. But I have to think there would be signs if that happened, JMO.

Why was the hood of his truck up? Were the truck, pets, and camp at the same location?

Leaving the hood up usually means that the vehicle stopped working. My first thought was that he was driving with is pets, had vehicle trouble, opened the hood ... were the pets in the vehicle, or at the camp? If they were in the vehicle, then it sounds like he went somewhere on foot because he had vehicle trouble. If he was on the road, I'm guessing that he shouldn't have too much trouble with bears.

I haven't looked at maps, and I need to read more media releases.

Why was the hood up? What message is that when nothing else is disturbed?
It's my understanding that the truck and pets were found at the camp. I have the same question about the hood! MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bill1620
Back