GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #12

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now THAT is a document dump! SMH. Prosecutors put in front of him the evidence so we don't have to hear the details? I dunno... I still dunno as have never been in the shoes of the family. Would they want to hear all the details of the pain...or settle (don't take that word wrong please) to put him away to not hurt others and take DP off the table.

:thinking: if I was family..... I dunno what I would ask the prosecutor to do

Good questions. I think one part of me would want to know the details and another part would want to know absolutely nothing other than that the killer's been caught and punished. It's probably too much to hope for but part of me hopes that each family member can get exactly what they personally need to heal.

I don't honestly care much if it's DP or LWOP because they're practically the same in CA (DP=appeals forever until you die of old age anyway), but if he gets anything less I'll be really upset. Although if it's true that DP inmates get fewer privileges, that's a better sentence for him IMO.

There's always the chance that, if a case goes to trial, he could be found not guilty or have a hung jury. I HIGHLY doubt that's the case here but you never know these days. Stranger things have happened. If he pleads, at least the family knows he is behind bars. If the family wanted to know the details, I'm sure they could speak with the prosecution/LE/detectives without having to endure a trial. JMO

Not that I have a dog in the fight! Heck, I'd like to see him squirm for the duration of a trial and it wouldn't break my heart if his lovely wife was charged with a crime as well. Just sayin.....It'd be a long road for Erin's family.

Try Alaska Airlines for rates. We flew them from Oakland, CA to Seattle and back. Wasn't horrible prices.

Tried Anchorage to Ontario, CA. One-way on Alaska Air is about $473.80/person, so double that for round-trip. You may get better rates when you package it with a hotel/rental car deal. Priceline and Expedia have the lowest rates I've found.

Tried Anchorage to Ontario, CA. One-way on Alaska Air is about $473.80/person, so double that for round-trip.

Well, they did know the court date awhile ago so it would not have been a last minute type thing. They are paying the defense attorney as well.......This could add up!

http://www.djylaw.com/the-court-process.html

THE COURT PROCESS
Picture
The prosecuting agency is responsible for filing the formal charges against an accused. They must file the charges within the statutory time period and that time period varies depending on the crime. Once the charges are filed the defendant is then arraigned. The arraignment is the stage where the defendant pleads guilty or not guilty. If the case is a felony and the person pleads not guilty, the case is either set for a preliminary hearing or early disposition conference. An early disposition conference is a procedure where the District Attorney and the defense attempt to reach a disposition. If they cannot, then the defense is entitled to a preliminary hearing. However, the District Attorney can decide to bring the case before the Grand Jury in lieu of the preliminary hearing and the defense is not entitled to be present at the Grand Jury proceeding. A preliminary hearing is where the District Attorney presents evidence before a judge and the defense is entitled to cross-examine the witnesses called by the District Attorney. The defense is also entitled to put on an affirmative defense. The judge then determines if there is enough evidence to hold over the defendant for trial or not. If the judge does hold the defendant to trial, the defendant is arraigned on the information and the defendant must appear and enter either a guilty or not guilt plea. The case is set for a pretrial conference if the defendant enters a not guilty plea. The case will eventually to trial if the case is not resolved. In a jury trial, all 12 jurors must find the defendant guilty beyond a reasonable doubt in order for him to be convicted and all 12 must find him not guilty for an acquittal. If all 12 jurors cannot agree then the judge declares a mistrial and the defendant can be retried.

In a misdemeanor case, there is no preliminary hearing. The defendant is formally arraigned and either enters a guilty or not guilty plea. If he enters a not guilty plea, the trial process is basically the same as in a felony trial.

Felony crimes are those where the sentence may be a state prison sentence. A misdemeanor is a crime where the maximum penalty is one year or less in the county jail. A crime that can be prosecuted or sentenced as a felony or misdemeanor is called a wobbler.

COURTS WE SERVE
Southern California Criminal Defense Attorney Darrell J. York represents clients in all courts in Los Angeles and Ventura Counties. There are approximately 27 courts that handle criminal cases in Los Angeles County excluding juvenile cases. To view all the courts in Los Angeles County, click here.

Ventura County has two courthouses. The main court is located in Ventura at 800 S. Victoria Avenue. The other courthouse is the East County court which is located in Simi Valley. The East County courthouse primarily handles misdemeanor arraignments for arrests occuring in the East end of the county. The case will be transferred to the main courthouse if the case is not disposed of at the arraignment stage. To visit the Ventura County Court website, click here.

It wouldn't surprise me if CL's lawyer paid for the plane tickets. It makes CL look better if his family supports him. They are going to say what a great family guy he is.

Tried Anchorage to Ontario, CA. One-way on Alaska Air is about $473.80/person, so double that for round-trip. You may get better rates when you package it with a hotel/rental car deal. Priceline and Expedia have the lowest rates I've found.

That's a lot of money for someone I'm assuming doesn't have a job outside of caring for her child (at least as far as I've seen she was a stay at home mom when here in 29 Palms). And for someone who doesn't have a spouse supporting her. Unless his family has money and paid her way???? But then there's also that expensive attorney.

It wouldn't surprise me if CL's lawyer paid for the plane tickets. It makes CL look better if his family supports him. They are going to say what a great family guy he is.

Hmmmm. Good point. But who's paying the attorney? He doesn't look like he's cheap!?

Truthbeknown,

Do you know anything (that you can talk about) regarding Erin's horse and why horse lady says she gave her up/couldn't keep her on Base?

I read somewhere in MSM that he took the case pro bono for the publicity

Truthbeknown,

Do you know anything (that you can talk about) regarding Erin's horse and why horse lady says she gave her up/couldn't keep her on Base?

I've heard bits and pieces. Not enough to know for certain. If I said anything it would mostly be speculation.

Hmmmm. Good point. But who's paying the attorney? He doesn't look like he's cheap!?
Pretty soon his lawyer is going to file a motion to declare his client Indigent for Costs.Especially because this is a potential death penalty case the courts are going to approve it.Then his lawyer has almost a blank check courtesy of the taxpayers to put on his defense.He is going to file motions to suppress evidence,the search warrants.He is going to file motions to try to depose witness and anything else he can come up with to run up the billable hrs.I see this case not going anywhere any time soon there is to much money to be made.

Pretty soon his lawyer is going to file a motion to declare his client Indigent for Costs.Especially because this is a potential death penalty case the courts are going to approve it.Then his lawyer has almost a blank check courtesy of the taxpayers to put on his defense.He is going to file motions to suppress evidence,the search warrants.He is going to file motions to try to depose witness and anything else he can come up with to run up the billable hrs.I see this case not going anywhere any time soon there is to much money to be made.

BBM: Do you have a link for this information? I'd love to read about it as I'm a tax payer in California. TIA

So I don't know how to post a link for sure, but I just found this interesting article.

Start donating - it's what #ErinCorwin would want “@KPCCNews: Ranch hurting - The White Rock Horse Rescue ranch kp.cc/1r6nqCv”

BBM: Do you have a link for this information? I'd love to read about it as I'm a tax payer in California. TIA

Same here!

I know he's entitled to a PUBLIC DEFENDER if he can't afford an attorney. Never have I heard some overpriced attorney could bill the state or county for fees!!!????????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reneej08