GUILTY CA - Erin Corwin, 19, pregnant, Twentynine Palms, 28 June 2014 - #9

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Does CA do DP cases now? Aren't all of the current death row cases in some kind of hiatus?

Also hope JC will have option of transferring if he wants to do so.

Gitana1 just posted about this on the Gianni Belvedere thread. I will ask a Mod if I can bring the post over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

While he likely can, I don't know that that would be the best thing for him. He may want to stay in. His wife is gone. If he leaves the Corps, he'd likely go home to where he met his wife and have to come up with a new career on top of everything else. I hope, whatever he decides, he can eventually have a happy life.

My feelings exactly. Bless him. I have a feeling he's going to have a fine future, even if he can't feel it so much right now.

Pretty much the report said the same thing the rest of them did. That her body was found in a mine shaft 140 ft. below and that they concentrated on that area due to technological information, that she was having an affair with Christopher Lee, that evidence pointed towards Christopher Lee having murdered Corwin but said LE won't elaborate on what evidence that is. That Lee was arrested in AK and will be extradited to CA sometimes in the near future. Not anything new or that we already didn't know. They showed pictures of Erin we had been seeing all along while working this case.

Does CA do DP cases now? Aren't all of the current death row cases in some kind of hiatus?

Also hope JC will have option of transferring if he wants to do so.

It needs to be considered a "special circumstance". I don't think it will qualify.

2. Types of special circumstances murder /
capital murder

2.1. Murder carried out for financial gain

2.2. Prior murder conviction

2.3. Multiple murder convictions

2.4. Murder by bomb or destructive device

2.5. Preventing arrest or escaping

2.6. Murder of a police officer, federal agent, or firefighter

2.7. Murder of a witness

2.8. Murder of a prosecutor, judge, government official,
or juror

2.9. Lying in wait

2.10. Murder because of race, religion, or nationality

2.11. Murder in commission of a felony

2.12. Murder involving torture

2.13. Murder by poison

2.14. Drive-by shootings

2.15. Murder by a street gang member

http://www.shouselaw.com/special-circumstances-murder-california.html

I'm wondering if Jon can get a "hardship" discharge from the Marines, with all this going on. How can he ever give 100% after all this, especially since this all came to his doorstep because of his assignment to 29 Palms.

There sure is a case for that.....I believe Jon may be able to .....and as sad as I am for Erin, Jon, & their families, I'm so relieved that there has been an arrest of CL...NL's statement, " they'll never find a body" is proof of karma....maybe we'll find out why she was at one time so sure of herself.....let's all hope the birdies start singing loudly now that they're being "squeezed"
I'd also like to think that the positive vibes myself ( post #830) and others sent out were helpful in finding Erin even in the smallest way.........
RIP Erin :star::heart:

ITA! NL wears the pants! I'm also worried that CL will take all the blame and claim NL had nothing to do with it. I hope CL just tells the truth. I don't want NL to get away with her part in all this. I think the idea to kill Erin was NL's, and I think she helped in the planning as well. I wonder if NL has an alibi for the day Erin was killed? And I hope IM tells all she knows as well.

I think that CL just might take the full blame for it, if for no other reason then their daughter. I'd bet IM was supposed to be NL's alibi.

Mel.

Susan Cox Powell, I dropped the Powell, as Cox was her maiden name. I don't think she'd want to be associated with Josh Powell. Just like Nicole Brown's family not putting Simpson on her grave.

Unless the Brown family made a change to the headstone at some point, the picture of it at findagrave.com says "Nicole Brown Simpson"

Mel

Until information to the contrary comes out, I tend to think IM was just in a lousy position and is only guilty of being too naive to believe CL was capable of murder. Most people in the same situation would give friends the benefit of the doubt until the evidence is overwhelming.

I wish I could say the same. She hinks me out. LE said there could be other 'arrests' - with an 's' - on purpose, IMO.

So, do we know yet, if there was a red car involved?~~ Curiousity killed the cat

I'm curious to know if he will be tried in civilian court or UCMJ. I think to utilize the UCMJ
courts, he would need to be placed back on active duty, then if found guilty, would be dishonorably discharged.

I always thought that a crime would need to occur on a military base/ship or involving military property for it to be tried in a military court but that is JMO.

I always thought that a crime would need to occur on a military base/ship or involving military property for it to be tried in a military court but that is JMO.

The crime was committed on federal land but not military land.

Civilian court authority is usually based on the location of the crime. The crime must have occurred within the boundaries of the state. Military court authority is based on the status of the offender. If he's an active service member, the UCMJ applies no matter where the crime occurs.

If a crime violates both military and state civilian law, it may be tried by a military court, a civilian court or both. Usually the two systems will coordinate to decide where the service member should be prosecuted. A military member can't be tried for the same misconduct by both a military court and another federal court. He can be tried for the same misconduct by both a military court and a state court.

http://military-law.lawyers.com/military-law-basics/military-versus-civilian-court-authority.html

I am so sad right now to hear the news of Erin. I am sorry to say...I suspected who was closest to her and I was wrong.

I am sorry that other than that wrong thinking...I thought whoever killed Erin probably took her out into the desert and got her out of the car.... then took care of her... then threw her down a mine shaft.

She was so young. So very sorry and sad.

KTLA's Chris Wolf will have a live report at 6:30pm - nothing new to report at 6 o'clock news (except the newscaster mentioned the pregnancy as fact - and I am pretty sure she got it wrong. Here's what she said:

"...and Corwin, who was three months pregnant, may have been carrying Lee's child...."

I listened to the presser (video linked upthread) and LE officials were clear that this has yet to be confirmed....

I'll be :waiting: for the live report at 6:30pm. :sigh:

ETA:
http://ktla.com/on-air/live-streaming/

Just bumping this because it went to the top of the thread in date order.

Salem

Hi guys, heard you rang me!

A status hearing is generally just a hearing at which calendaring takes place. The court and the attorneys determine how much time they will need for things in order to calendar the next hearing. I;m not sure at what stage in the process this case is,
but I'm assuming a preliminary hearing has yet to take place, just an arraignment.

Motive never has to be disclosed. Some evidence will be disclosed at a preliminary hearing but not at a status hearing.

A plea deal can always be reached if all sides agree. Even if the state seeks the death penalty. But they have to agree.

A change of venue is based on a motion by the party seeking the change and too much publicity or negative local sentiment is usually grounds.

The supreme court did not rule the death penalty unconstitutional. One federal court judge did as to one case in California. However, his decision was a well written one and it will now be reviewed by the 9th circuit. Talk is that judges around the country may emulate this decision, and of course, in other cases in California:
It is premature to state that the death penalty could be overturned in this case based on the one, federal judge's decision. If it ultimately is, years down the road, the death sentence would commuted to life in prison.

I hope that all helps!!

If the autopsy confirms that EC was indeed pregnant, Can CL then be charged with two counts of murder?

I realize it's already something of a miracle that Erin was even located, but I now find myself hoping CL confesses and provides all the details to LE. It could happen.........right?

:tyou: Salem! :grouphug:

I PM'd a few of them way back when. No response at all, but I did get a friend request from a KTUU reporter TODAY lol.

sorry had to giggle...

no response regarding potential newsworthy information from the reporter...

but... You get a friend request....

:giggle:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members