GUILTY CA - Faith Tsarnas & Kiya Kitchen, Both 14, Die In Hit & Run, Fortuna, 12 July 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thank you to everyone for allowing me to be here, and a special thanks to Lillibet for your kind corrections of my errors. I haven't learned all the rules yet, but I hope to soon. Your help, guidance and patience are appreciated. Lillibet, if you are comfortable doing so I would love to hear about your stay here. I am always interested in what brings people to Humboldt and why they leave.
JP is part of the local movement to legalize cannabis and has listed his business with Dun and Bradstreet here https://www.dandb.com/businessdirectory/emeraldcannabisclubcooperativeinc.-eureka-ca-5643912.html One of my huge concerns is how this has stayed OUT of the news. Many people in other SM groups (where I participate) are shocked as well. I have seen many less shocking stories get State, National and even International news. The Times-Standard in Eureka is owned by a much larger corporation; why wasn't this story picked up by some of the other newspapers that they own?
1&2&3, just to clarify for you: Marci was alone in her Jeep when she hit the girls. She and her husband (Joseph) have not been together for close to 5 years. JP (the boyfriend) was in his truck about 5 minutes behind her. If you read the DV paperwork in John Chiv's blog posted earlier in this thread it will clarify further. Also, I am a scanner aficionado. I listened to this play out from the initial scanner call that came across as a "traffic collision, hit & run" until the Jeep was finally towed away from Marci's home the next night. As with anything on the scanner, initial information is sometimes wrong. However, scanner information can also provide you with facts that are not made public until later.

BBM Hmmm... Has anyone requested a scanner rewind??

Welcome to WS, Skadiddle! There are scanner threads here at WS, and with your experience you could be a real asset!

Of note, the scanner threads have their own special rules and are located elsewhere. I'm not the best at explaining how it all works but I know other members and moderators will be glad to help you ;)

Thank you to everyone for allowing me to be here, and a special thanks to Lillibet for your kind corrections of my errors. I haven't learned all the rules yet, but I hope to soon. Your help, guidance and patience are appreciated. Lillibet, if you are comfortable doing so I would love to hear about your stay here. I am always interested in what brings people to Humboldt and why they leave.
JP is part of the local movement to legalize cannabis and has listed his business with Dun and Bradstreet here https://www.dandb.com/businessdirectory/emeraldcannabisclubcooperativeinc.-eureka-ca-5643912.html One of my huge concerns is how this has stayed OUT of the news. Many people in other SM groups (where I participate) are shocked as well. I have seen many less shocking stories get State, National and even International news. The Times-Standard in Eureka is owned by a much larger corporation; why wasn't this story picked up by some of the other newspapers that they own?
1&2&3, just to clarify for you: Marci was alone in her Jeep when she hit the girls. She and her husband (Joseph) have not been together for close to 5 years. JP (the boyfriend) was in his truck about 5 minutes behind her. If you read the DV paperwork in John Chiv's blog posted earlier in this thread it will clarify further. Also, I am a scanner aficionado. I listened to this play out from the initial scanner call that came across as a "traffic collision, hit & run" until the Jeep was finally towed away from Marci's home the next night. As with anything on the scanner, initial information is sometimes wrong. However, scanner information can also provide you with facts that are not made public until later.
BBM

It is interesting that the story hasn't been picked up out of the area (a quick Google search confirmed it). I'm not sure why some stories take off and others don't. I have found that if you want a story told, you have to contact reporters and push for it. There are too many stories for them to know about or be motivated to cover otherwise. Is anyone surprised that the Daily Mail hasn't covered it? I've seen them jump on obscure stories and do a pretty good job, with the best photos. I guess it depends on how close to Humboldt their northwest reporter is.

I wonder if JP knew who had been hit when he passed by. It didn't sound like it from what he said to Marci's son and his friend. But who knows?

About my time in Humboldt...My husband and I were part of the "back to the land" movement in the '60's and fell in love with the redwoods. We bought some acreage and a house in SoHum on a rural road in the hills about 30 minutes from Garberville in 1969. This was a couple of years after our adventure in Haight Ashbury during the "summer of love" (we've led an adventurous life). We did the garden, goats and chicken thing. It was lovely and we city kids learned so much from our old-timer neighbors. I'm sure I could still milk a goat! :)

We had no clue that pot was being grown in other parts of SoHum when we first moved there, but as time went on it encroached into our peaceful area. We left, in part, because of the criminal element it attracted that impacted us personally and scarily. Our daughter went through junior high there and we wanted her to be elsewhere for highschool and beyond. My husband was burned out teaching so we headed for Oregon, where we still live (he went back to teaching after a break and enjoyed it). Our fifteen years in Humboldt are ones we wouldn't trade. We still have dear friends there and visit from time to time. I read Kym, LOCO and Chiv almost daily and try to post to the many quiet Humboldt threads every few months....which reminds me...I'll be right back. :D

Are you native to Humboldt?

My husband filed an ex parte (emergency hearing) for his teenage son due to the mother being reported to CPS by the school for abuse. He filed right after Thanksgiving (Nov 29 or something) had a hearing Dec 2, he got temporary full custody of all 3 kids that date. Another hearing on 14th. Mom got the other two kids back on her time. Emergency screening was not until December 30. Incidentally, we are still in court.

Oh my goodness! Reading this makes me question further the effectiveness of CPS. To remove the children, only to give them back two weeks later raises the question if the problem was serious enough to remove them once, why turn around and return them? I realize the judge is listening to the mother's lawyer, however, the CPS lawyer should overrule! At least they were active in your case, where they let so many cases fall through the cracks.

Bless your family's heart as to this drawn out court case. It is hard on each of you, and the wait is ridiculous! Keep on the route you know the children need, you are their voices and their future. Good luck!

Honestly, if dad hasn't filed an ex parte, they likely would have never been removed. The case was closed January 2 or something "inconclusive w concerns" and mom was referred to services.

We now currently have primary custody of said kid while dad shares 50/50 w the other two. Mom makes excuses as to why she can't get that kid on her weekends. She's a piece of work that starts with "s".

Oh my goodness! Reading this makes me question further the effectiveness of CPS. To remove the children, only to give them back two weeks later raises the question if the problem was serious enough to remove them once, why turn around and return them? I realize the judge is listening to the mother's lawyer, however, the CPS lawyer should overrule! At least they were active in your case, where they let so many cases fall through the cracks.

Bless your family's heart as to this drawn out court case. It is hard on each of you, and the wait is ridiculous! Keep on the route you know the children need, you are their voices and their future. Good luck!

Wow! This story exemplifies the very best of Humboldt and SoHum in particular. Friends of Joe Kitchen pulled off a surprise remodel of his house. To top it off, when he returned, they had smoke billowing from a barbeque in his yard and the Weott volunteer fire department truck blocking his driveway, as if his house was on fire. He loved the joke!

Looking on Google and Google Earth, I discovered that I know this road well and, in fact, an old friend of mine once owned and raised her family in that house. I visited her there a few years before she passed away. Other old friends still live on this road. This is the small world of SoHum.

The lovely gift these friends gave Joe makes me smile. I'm so happy for Joe and his son.

Videos at link.
http://kymkemp.com/2016/08/18/frien...aughter-died-in-fortuna-hit-and-run-accident/

I haven't been able to keep up with this case, did the mom call 911 or just leave them in the street?

I haven't been able to keep up with this case, did the mom call 911 or just leave them in the street?

She left them in the street. A man called 911 and mentioned a vehicle pulled over up ahead with a woman driver, who drove away. The vehicle matched the description of the car later found hidden in the mother's back yard. So she apparently stopped briefly, stayed in her car and then left.

Wow! This story exemplifies the very best of Humboldt and SoHum in particular. Friends of Joe Kitchen pulled off a surprise remodel of his house. To top it off, when he returned, they had smoke billowing from a barbeque in his yard and the Weott volunteer fire department truck blocking his driveway, as if his house was on fire. He loved the joke!

Looking on Google and Google Earth, I discovered that I know this road well and, in fact, an old friend of mine once owned and raised her family in that house. I visited her there a few years before she passed away. Other old friends still live on this road. This is the small world of SoHum.

The lovely gift these friends gave Joe makes me smile. I'm so happy for Joe and his son.

Videos at link.
http://kymkemp.com/2016/08/18/frien...aughter-died-in-fortuna-hit-and-run-accident/

Amazing! Thank you so much for posting Lilibet, it's wonderful to see all that love in this tragic thread.

'Don't know why I've been thinking about this but... am I correct that it was reported the girls were skateboarding northbound in the southbound lane (which would be similar to a pedestrian walking towards oncoming traffic), AND MK was driving southbound in the southbound lane??

'Don't know why I've been thinking about this but... am I correct that it was reported the girls were skateboarding northbound in the southbound lane (which would be similar to a pedestrian walking towards oncoming traffic), AND MK was driving southbound in the southbound lane??

You are correct that the girls were skateboarding against "traffic" which would actually be safer than having their backs to cars. It would allow them to take evasive action and move into the other lane or dive into a ditch (there is no shoulder). The road is straight and not forested, so I expect there was still enough light to skate. MK drove toward the girls and possibly could have seen their faces or recognized their forms. We don't know if the girls naively expected cars to go past them in the other lane or if MK was approaching at such a speed that they couldn't move out of the way and neither could she. The tragic result breaks my heart.

I was taught to always walk on the edge of the road facing traffic so I could see what was coming and they could see me. It then gave both of us a chance to move out of each other's way if necessary.

This was taught by my country grandparents and the way one walked before cars.

I was taught to always walk on the edge of the road facing traffic so I could see what was coming and they could see me. It then gave both of us a chance to move out of each other's way if necessary.

This was taught by my country grandparents and the way one walked before cars.

And, it seems the victims were taught the same safety precautions.

Could this have been a silly game of "chicken" turned tragic? If Kiya and Faith saw MK driving toward them they would assume she would either stop or go around them, so did they stay in the lane as long as possible as a joke? Did MK speed up to tease the girls and wasn't able to stop? An accident caused by being silly I could "sort of" wrap my mind around, as irresponsible as it is, but running and hiding while leaving your daughter and her friend dying in the road is beyond the pale IMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back