GUILTY CA - Faith Tsarnas & Kiya Kitchen, Both 14, Die In Hit & Run, Fortuna, 12 July 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The facts of the case stand on their own. It won't take a local jury to convict, IMO. So if that is indeed a defense strategy, it's not going to work.

Yes, the facts are damning. Actually, it wouldn't bother me if the trial is moved out of Humboldt. When MK is found guilty, there would be no grounds to appeal on the basis of a biased jury (assuming that's a possible grounds for appeal).

I was quite surprised that the trial of Gary Bullock for the brutal murder of a beloved local priest wasn't moved out of Eureka. But again, the facts were damning no matter where he was tried. I'm not sure if using a public defender made a difference in where he has tried.

Another delay, but the judge is getting cranky. Preliminary hearing will be May 8, with confirmation hearing April 20. The slow slog to trial continues.

[Judge] Wilson acknowledged this is a complex case, and the prosecution has an advantage because they were able to complete their investigation before charges were filed. But he warned Okin and Griego that this is the final delay.

“I want a realistic date when this can proceed,” Wilson said. “This is the second (postponement) over an objection. I do want to see counsel prepared for a hearing.“

Oh and by the way, MK requested funds from the county over the objection of the prosecuting attorney Stacey Eads:

“Ms. Kitchen has retained two private counsel, posted $750,000 bail and traveled to Mexico multiple times,” Eads said.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/mar/8/kitchen-trial-delayed-again-preliminary-hearing-ma/
As always, LoCO comments pull no punches and are heavy on expletives.

John Chiv weighs in on the latest...gotta love him...

http://johnchiv.blogspot.com/2017/03/marci-kitchen-getting-kiddy-glove.html#comment-form

Another delay, but the judge is getting cranky. Preliminary hearing will be May 8, with confirmation hearing April 20. The slow slog to trial continues.

[Judge] Wilson acknowledged this is a complex case, and the prosecution has an advantage because they were able to complete their investigation before charges were filed. But he warned Okin and Griego that this is the final delay.

“I want a realistic date when this can proceed,” Wilson said. “This is the second (postponement) over an objection. I do want to see counsel prepared for a hearing.“

Oh and by the way, MK requested funds from the county over the objection of the prosecuting attorney Stacey Eads:

“Ms. Kitchen has retained two private counsel, posted $750,000 bail and traveled to Mexico multiple times,” Eads said.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/mar/8/kitchen-trial-delayed-again-preliminary-hearing-ma/
As always, LoCO comments pull no punches and are heavy on expletives.

John Chiv weighs in on the latest...gotta love him...

http://johnchiv.blogspot.com/2017/03/marci-kitchen-getting-kiddy-glove.html#comment-form

Lilibet, I admit I'm feeling really stupid right now. I'm just not getting it. Here's how I see this case: Woman gets drunk, decides to drive. Woman runs over and kills her daughter and a friend. Instead of rendering aid and calling 911 for an ambulance, she decides to flee the scene and does her best to hide her now damaged vehicle.

Witnesses report the crash and LE comes looking for the vehicle that ran over the victims. LE learns woman fled the scene, leaving two children to die. LE finds the vehicle and sees the damage. It is hidden in the woman's yard.

Now here's where my head starts to spin: Woman pressures son to lie about the incident. LE, rather than making an arrest, "requests" the drunken woman to come in and talk to them. Woman declines, hires lawyer.

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Then we hear the woman is blaming the city, more specifically, the "substandard" condition of Eel River Drive, for her manslaughter of the girls. Because, what? The county didn't design or maintain the road well enough to help drunk drivers maneuver down it?

So, apparently that claim has been dropped. Now we learn there is a delay in the preliminary hearing until May. I'm sorry, I guess I'm really, really stupid because I have no idea why this clear case of vehicular manslaughter is being called "complicated."

From what I've read from locals, they are also gobsmacked that Marci Kitchen is apparently being treated with kid gloves. Am I to understand that the city of Fortuna maintains different standards of culpability for different residents?

Sorry, but I have the feeling that prosecutors are reluctant to go forward with a case against Kitchen. Apparently, all it takes is a big wad of money and a well-known, high-priced attorney to slip one out of being held responsible for the murder of two innocent children. IMO the ducks are clearly already in a row. I have a sinking feeling Kitchen will ultimately walk and there will be no justice for Kiya and Faith.

P.S. I hate this woman.

Lilibet, I admit I'm feeling really stupid right now. I'm just not getting it. Here's how I see this case: Woman gets drunk, decides to drive. Woman runs over and kills her daughter and a friend. Instead of rendering aid and calling 911 for an ambulance, she decides to flee the scene and does her best to hide her now damaged vehicle.

Witnesses report the crash and LE comes looking for the vehicle that ran over the victims. LE learns woman fled the scene, leaving two children to die. LE finds the vehicle and sees the damage. It is hidden in the woman's yard.

Now here's where my head starts to spin: Woman pressures son to lie about the incident. LE, rather than making an arrest, "requests" the drunken woman to come in and talk to them. Woman declines, hires lawyer.

Nothing. Nothing. Nothing. Then we hear the woman is blaming the city, more specifically, the "substandard" condition of Eel River Drive, for her manslaughter of the girls. Because, what? The county didn't design or maintain the road well enough to help drunk drivers maneuver down it?

So, apparently that claim has been dropped. Now we learn there is a delay in the preliminary hearing until May. I'm sorry, I guess I'm really, really stupid because I have no idea why this clear case of vehicular manslaughter is being called "complicated."

From what I've read from locals, they are also gobsmacked that Marci Kitchen is apparently being treated with kid gloves. Am I to understand that the city of Fortuna maintains different standards of culpability for different residents?

Sorry, but I have the feeling that prosecutors are reluctant to go forward with a case against Kitchen. Apparently, all it takes is a big wad of money and a well-known, high-priced attorney to slip one out of being held responsible for the murder of two innocent children. IMO the ducks are clearly already in a row. I have a sinking feeling Kitchen will ultimately walk and there will be no justice for Kiya and Faith.

P.S. I hate this woman.

It is ALL because she was not tested at the scene. They don't have her BAC. That is what screwed the pooch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And ps. Mothers like this exist. Selfish, shady, excuses of mothers. I'm raising the child of one right now.

Great summary, MsMarple. You're not stupid. As you noticed, no one in Humboldt County understands this. I don't either. But I do think she will be convicted of something eventually...or accept a plea deal.

The city of Fortuna wasn't involved AFAIK. It was actually the CA Highway Patrol investigating and asking MK to come for an interview. I believe she hired a lawyer even before CHP asked to speak to her. IMO her boyfriend's attorney father was setting it up before she even got home from the Bay Area where her daughter was taken and died. The lawyers played semantics games with CHP to keep her from talking before they were ready to arrest her. Her attorneys are adept at working the system, and have gotten other hit-and-run defendants off. There is lots of (marijuana) money available for them to throw at this case, but I'm going to remain hopeful (for now) that the D.A. is stubborn and that MK will be convicted and sentenced to an appropriate prison term...eventually. Even in Gary Lee Bullock's open and shut Eureka priest murder case it took over two years to go to trial. The wheels of justice grind slowly and I hope they crush her. She is a despicable woman IMO.

P.S. I hate this woman.

It is ALL because she was not tested at the scene. They don't have her BAC. That is what screwed the pooch.

You're right. It's going to be harder to prove she was drunk. Unfortunately, in the moment LE didn't have any reason to test her, since they didn't know she had been driving until later. An officer will testify to his observation that she was impaired and there are probably others who were present wherever she was drinking who will testify. Her attorneys will do a number on them, but we can hope a jury will take the testimony in its totality and see through the smokescreen.

And ps. Mothers like this exist. Selfish, shady, excuses of mothers. I'm raising the child of one right now.

Sadly, we see these mothers all the time on WS. The child you are raising is very fortunate to have you!

If she was drinking in a bar, maybe they have security video or a bar tab & credit card.

Great summary, MsMarple. You're not stupid. As you noticed, no one in Humboldt County understands this. I don't either. But I do think she will be convicted of something eventually...or accept a plea deal.

The city of Fortuna wasn't involved AFAIK. It was actually the CA Highway Patrol investigating and asking MK to come for an interview. I believe she hired a lawyer even before CHP asked to speak to her. IMO her boyfriend's attorney father was setting it up before she even got home from the Bay Area where her daughter was taken and died. The lawyers played semantics games with CHP to keep her from talking before they were ready to arrest her. Her attorneys are adept at working the system, and have gotten other hit-and-run defendants off. There is lots of (marijuana) money available for them to throw at this case, but I'm going to remain hopeful (for now) that the D.A. is stubborn and that MK will be convicted and sentenced to an appropriate prison term...eventually. Even in Gary Lee Bullock's open and shut Eureka priest murder case it took over two years to go to trial. The wheels of justice grind slowly and I hope they crush her. She is a despicable woman IMO.

Thanks Lilibet for further clarifying the info and also for keeping my emotional boat from rocking too much, lol! I'm so darn angry at this woman. And thanks for keeping us updated!

If she was drinking in a bar, maybe they have security video or a bar tab & credit card.

I believe she was in a bar or at the county fair, so here's hoping there is video and bar tab!

Thanks Lilibet for further clarifying the info and also for keeping my emotional boat from rocking too much, lol! I'm so darn angry at this woman. And thanks for keeping us updated!

You're welcome! I'm sure you'll have your turn to anchor my emotional boat before this is all over. :D There's something about her attitude and the money behind her that brings out the worst in me! :mad: I'd be curled up in the fetal position if I had run down my own daughter and her friend and killed them, not taking trips to Mexico, etc.

LoCO article about MK's passport and travel restrictions. I don't care for her attorney's argument that these are "probation eligible" offenses. :gaah:

As to her possible punishment, Okin pointed out that Kitchen could be placed on probation even if convicted of all charges.

“These are probation-eligible offenses and she has no prior record,” he said. And Griego reminded the judge that there are numerous similar cases in the courts, with those defendants allowed to travel freely.

https://lostcoastoutpost.com/2017/mar/13/marci-kitchen-court-update/

"...numerous similar cases..." WTF????? Is this bozo kidding? You mean to tell me Humboldt County is overrun with drunks running over their own children? And that they deserve probation? HAH!!!

BTW...great catch, John. I think that if you had not found that lost document, MK would still have her passport handy for her great escape.

i sadly don't see her getting a lot of time because they don't have her BAC and her lack of a history. however I hope she gets a damn sight more than probation. her seeming lack of remorse is disgusting.

"...numerous similar cases..." WTF????? Is this bozo kidding? You mean to tell me Humboldt County is overrun with drunks running over their own children? And that they deserve probation? HAH!!!

In true WSer fashion, when the attorney talked about "numerous similar cases" I wanted to yell out "LINK!!!!!" (or it didn't happen). There are a lot of hit and run cases in Humboldt, but MK is only one to run over her own child. He was using hyperbole to persuade the judge and thankfully it didn't work.

But in today's news, MK is allowed to travel out of state to Oregon to attend a birthday party!!! Who would want her at their party?!!

http://www.times-standard.com/general-news/20170316/kitchen-okd-for-out-of-state-travel

Well, this is the best possible news so far about this case. Crime Watch Daily has contacted John Chiv about being part of a show on Faith and Kiya! He has agreed to be interviewed and help them with resources and contacts. Way to go, John!! He will keep everyone updated on the progress.

Both the article and comments have info from John.
http://johnchiv.blogspot.com/2017/03/crime-watch-daily-interested-in.html#comment-form

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
froggy4
Back