GUILTY CA - Faith Tsarnas & Kiya Kitchen, Both 14, Die In Hit & Run, Fortuna, 12 July 2016

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It was her own kid though. I can’t even w this. If my kid was mortally injured, I would be there, not covering my own fkn *advertiser censored*. With any kid, but eff, my own????

I don't think MK could have said anything that wouldn't have been viewed as self serving. Faiths Mom's statement was also all about herself, "I've lost something so precious...I can never get that back, I talk to the box, but it doesn't talk back" ect... But no one would ever suggest she was selfish for speaking of her loss, or being disrespectful or disregarding that the girls lost their lives, and others also suffer.

I don't see how MK could have said a word that wouldn't ring false. Most people probably didn't want to hear a word out of her.... just shut up and go go to jail already.

I do hope some closure can be had for all those who loved these girls. Wounds don't heal without it. The scars will remain forever, of course... But I agree with MK here. She told the truth for once. She WAS a horrible mother, an inhuman, incomprehensible miserable excuse for a human being.

Now she is nothing but an evil, soulless prisoner, one of many, but worse than most... No one knows what might happen to her, in prison, she may never actually get released...Perhaps some terrible karmatic "accident" might occur and no one shows up to render aid...seems like a lot people want want the worst possible fate to befall her.... in my opinion, it already has...

I have a a theory about why this case isn't more widely reported on, MK not more publicly vilified.

There are a LOT of people who still drink and drive. Far more we are led to believe. I know for a fact there are a lot of LEO's that do it because I've seen them in the officers clubs in the city. Business people do it, and just your average Joes stopping for a few a on the way home, liquid lunches and so on...It's not as rare a behavior as we like to believe it is...

It's not talked about, of course, but most everyone knows people who do it... I can imagine this case being difficult for people, I can imagine some of them might wonder if their darker shadow side might also have tried to cover up a crime like this...I'm sure they all have the heartfelt belief, that THEY would never do such despicable things, if they faced the same situation as MK, but that can never be a FACT until they live it. And those that still drive under the influence, just as she did, are obviously in denial about what they are capable of doing...

There are probably other factors at play as to why this case doesn't seem to get as wide coverage as it deserves, but I would bet there are a lot of people being made very, very uncomfortable in their own skin, by this case imo.

It was her own kid though. I can’t even w this. If my kid was mortally injured, I would be there, not covering my own fkn *advertiser censored*. With any kid, but eff, my own????
Yeah. I feel you. MK was a conscienceless psychopath, imo.
My point I guess was, she's not alone.

There are a lot of people, some in really high places, that take this risk, all the time. They believe they would never behave so heinously, yet every time they get behind the wheel drunk, they do exactly that.

And no one wants to look too hard at this case, in part because they would have to question their own denial of what they, in fact are capable of doing.

I know, I would not have been have been able to leave my child. Or A child. Lying in the street/bushes dying. Not. A. Chance! But also I wouldn't take the risk of killing people with my car by driving under the influence, and a lot of people do.

People are more accepting of drinking. Smokers are seen as having have "a bad habit".
Drinkers are just "social drinkers". No one say's I have a bad drinking habit.

I was pointing out the lack of public outcry/coverage in this case possibly being, ( at least partially), due to this unfortunate phenomena of denial in society as a whole.

Can anyone figure out who Patrik Greico (Marci’s former attorney) is representing? Headline says Jeff Tsarnas and article his victim. It also says Jeff is being represented by public defender O’Connell, who also defended MK. And where is the DA in this mix?:

Jeffry Tsarnas told a witness that at the time he hit the woman, he had been using methamphetamine and drinking, attorney Patrik Griego told visiting Judge Joseph Hurley at Tsarnas’ arraignment this afternoon. Griego, who once defended Marcia Kitchen, the woman who ran over and killed Faith Tsarnas and her own daughter Kiya Kitchen, is now representing Jeffry Tsarnas’ alleged victim Marie Kelley.

<snip>

Deputy County Counsel Meagan O’Connell, who also served as Marcia Kitchen’s attorney, was appointed to represent Jeffry Tsarnas. O’Connell said Tsarnas is a Humboldt County native who works as a wood supplier and has a residence. Tsarnas does have car insurance, but he told the judge he doesn’t know what the liability limits are.

Jeff Tsarnas Pleads Not Guilty to Fernbridge Hit-and-Run, Will Be Represented by Same Attorney as Marci Kitchen

Isn’t that a conflict of interest?

rsbm

I hope Jevin realizes he can one day forgive his mother, and still not have to see or hear from her again. Forgiveness doesn't mean situations go back how they were. He does not have to engage with her in any way, shape, or form, if he does not want to. He can forgive her without ever telling her, and go on with his life.

Sometimes, forgiveness is less a place of arrival and more a journey. He may have to forgive his mother every day. But eventually, a lot of the darkness will recede, and I pray for him to be able to move forward with grace and dignity. I pray that for both Faith's and Kiya's families.

I struggle with the 'forgiveness' concept and am trying to understand what it really means. To me, forgiveness means that it's OK, I'll give you a pass, but don't ever do it again type of thing. I don't think I could ever forgive her. I probably sound like a dummy, but would you mind explaining it a little more? I know that hanging on to anger and resentment isn't healthy, but do we really have to forgive to move on?

Sorry, I missed you asking for a fuller explanation till today. I cannot post more tonight, but will try to respond to your question in a day or two.

You won’t believe this but...Marci Kitchen may be released in 2021. :mad: She is in a Custody to Community Transitional Reentry Program.

“The Custody to Community Transitional Reentry Program (CCTRP) allows eligible offenders with serious and violent crimes committed to State prison to serve their sentence in the community at a CCTRP as designated by the Department, in lieu of confinement in State prison and at the discretion of the Secretary. The CCTRP will provide a range of rehabilitative services that assist with alcohol and drug recovery, employment, education, housing, family reunification, and social support.”

Words Worth: Not even 7 months in state prison, Marci Kitchen in transitional program and eligible for parole in 2021?

I guess the alcohol and drug recovery services are the only bright spot in this if it keeps her from killing someone else.

Last edited:
O. M. G.!!! I am beyond horrified! Two things jumped into my head, 1) how pissed off I am that she may get out already, 2) how can she live with herself??
How can you put one foot in front of the other after not only losing, a child BUT knowing YOU are the one who killed her WHILE IN A DRUNKEN STUPOR??!!
I can imagine just going about your life. I can’t imagine wanting to get out of jail. I can’t imagine living with myself.

O. M. G.!!! I am beyond horrified! Two things jumped into my head, 1) how pissed off I am that she may get out already, 2) how can she live with herself??
How can you put one foot in front of the other after not only losing, a child BUT knowing YOU are the one who killed her WHILE IN A DRUNKEN STUPOR??!!
I can imagine just going about your life. I can’t imagine wanting to get out of jail. I can’t imagine living with myself.

None of us can imagine living with ourselves and that’s because we are human! This is a woman with no conscience who played the system before the trial and seems to be playing the prison system too. All I can hope is that she messes up and is sent back to prison to serve her full term OR grows a conscience along the way (not likely).

Wait! She's just been locked up, and she's on her way out already?

According to John Chiv’s research she is eligible for parole 6/21. Regarding her new housing CDCR says:

Under CCTRP, one day of participation counts as one day of incarceration in State prison, and participants in the program are also eligible to receive any sentence reductions that they would have received had they served their sentence in State prison. Participants may be returned to an institution to serve the remainder of their term at any time with or without cause.

Female participants who volunteer for CCTRP will be placed into the program with a minimum of 45 days and a maximum of 30 months to participate prior to their release date. All of the participants receiving services through the CCTRP will be required to reside at the CCTRP program. CDCR will have the final decision regarding program placements and retains the right to remove participants from the program at any time.

The maximum time she could be in this program is 30 months, which would be late 2021, but she could be paroled in 24 months apparently. He said that Joe Kitchen’s attorney was not notified of this new development.

Here’s more on MK’s new living situation:

According to the California Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation website, 41-year-old Marci Kitchen will be eligible for parole in June of 2021. She is currently in the custody of a community transitional reentry program called Westcare in San Diego, according to the website.

CDCR: Marci Kitchen enters transitional reentry program, eligible for parole in June 2021

Westcare website:

WestCare - Custody to Community Transitional Re Entry Program, San Diego, California (92111) Reviews | Rehab.com

You won’t believe this but...Marci Kitchen may be released in 2021. :mad: She is in a Custody to Community Transitional Reentry Program.

“The Custody to Community Transitional Reentry Program (CCTRP) allows eligible offenders with serious and violent crimes committed to State prison to serve their sentence in the community at a CCTRP as designated by the Department, in lieu of confinement in State prison and at the discretion of the Secretary. The CCTRP will provide a range of rehabilitative services that assist with alcohol and drug recovery, employment, education, housing, family reunification, and social support.”

Words Worth: Not even 7 months in state prison, Marci Kitchen in transitional program and eligible for parole in 2021?

I guess the alcohol and drug recovery services are the only bright spot in this if it keeps her from killing someone else.

Helluvva a lucky monster.

I can't imagine the emotions of those who knew, loved and cared for those two girls.

So now what we (individually and as a society) have to come to grips with is whether Kiya and Faith’s memories are better served by MK receiving retribution or rehabilitation...or a little of both.

I think most of us probably wanted to lock her up and throw away the key. There really is no punishment harsh enough for what she did and continued to do after she drunkenly ran over Kiya and Faith. She has never seemed to take full responsibility for what she did and played the system while free and appears to be playing it now.

However, that being said, no matter how long her sentence, at some point she will be released. Do we want the same old entitled MK back in the community? Or do we want a humbled, repentant, rehabilitated MK? Personally, I’d rather have a rehabilitated Marci than a bitter, angry, substance-abusing one...even if it means she serves less time.

So I hope with all my heart that she takes advantage of this opportunity and emerges as a new Marci who can spend the rest of her life unselfishly honoring the lives she took.

I think some of my feelings about MK have been influenced by watching Van Jones’ show on CNN Sunday evenings “The Redemption Project” about what is called “restorative justice.”
Restorative justice seeks to heal the harm caused by crime.
Instead of focusing on retribution, it focuses on rehabilitation.
At its core, it is a process that offers both victims and those who caused harm an opportunity to seek answers and accountability to begin to repair the damage caused by crime.

The Redemption Project with Van Jones - CNN

It brings together a prisoner and their victim after much counseling and qualifying for this program. Although it isn’t all rainbows and unicorns, it’s an amazing experience each week. I highly recommend it. Restorative justice is perhaps possible for MK and her victims...and perhaps they all can heal a little in the process.

Here’s why Jones is doing the show:

VAN JONES: Well, I’ve spent about 25 years working on criminal justice issues, and I’ve been in multiple prisons and discovered that there are some real diamonds behind those walls, regardless of how people go into prison. There are some people who, frankly, despite the prison conditions, often do transform themselves, and become more wise, more strong and more generous, and they often want to make amends, but don’t know how, or are not allowed to. And I want those diamonds to have a chance to shine, so that was one motivation. The other motivation was that I’m just concerned that the culture is getting so anti-empathy and anti-compassion that we need to do something on television to try to stoke those fires of humanity and goodwill again.

Much more at the link:
Van Jones on 'The Redemption Project' & Seeking Truth through Restorative Justice

With all the various climates in California, people are sentenced to live in San Diego???

Sigh.

These community-based programs save the taxpayers money. Lots of it! Allow participants to work or develop job skills; learn to live with rules, shed some dysfunctional habits. Overall, I agree.

But sending someone to San Diego, just doesn't sound like a line in the Folsom Prison Blues. JMHO

@Lilibet, thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

With all the various climates in California, people are sentenced to live in San Diego???

Sigh.

These community-based programs save the taxpayers money. Lots of it! Allow participants to work or develop job skills; learn to live with rules, shed some dysfunctional habits. Overall, I agree.

But sending someone to San Diego, just doesn't sound like a line in the Folsom Prison Blues. JMHO

@Lilibet, thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

If it’s any consolation, according to my daughter who lives there, it’s “June Gloom” time, which comes after “May Gray.” So the weather isn’t idyllic ALL the time. :D But it would still be my first choice.

Rehabilitation begins with an offender's admission they committed a wrong. Has Ms Kitchen done so? Did I miss something?

We don’t know. Here’s hoping that admission to this program required her sincere admission of guilt or that in the next two years she will get there through whatever services they provide. It appears they have a 12 step program, so she will have to acknowledge wrongs she has committed and make amends in order to change her alcoholic thinking.

I really hope she takes full advantage of the gift she has been given and comes out a different person. She took two lives. No amount of prison can make up for that. But the way she lives the rest of her life can do something toward making amends. She owes that to Kiya and Faith, to their families and to the community and it’s a huge debt she should be willing to pay the rest of her life...if she truly admits the wrong she committed.
JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Painauchocolat2024
Back