Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ John Root Fitzpatrick, 55, (fnd dec.), 30 Jul ‘23 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t even know what to say about this terrible latest news. Will we learn JRF’s cause of death? That will be very important to begin figuring out what may have happened to Fang. This is so tragic and frightening.

Wow that article said that his friend last name Hoss, had met her before they left for the camping trip. Did someone try to rob him and take her? Did someone try to rob them and she got away, but had nowhere to go or didn't know where to go?

Some things from the article (thank you, @Twister2 ) —
Mystery surrounds missing San Bernardino man found dead in Anza-Borrego state park

Friend who reported JRF missing is DH, a long-time friend who served with JRF in the military.

DH met Fang before the pair took off for their camping trip in the “state park” (Anza Borrego, apparently).

Fang & JRF met and formed a romantic relationship through “Facebook messages”. (I thought FB was banned in China?)

”More than two months after his friend’s disappearance, Hoss said investigators called Fitzpatrick’s family last week to inform them that his body had been found in Harper Canyon, south of state Route 78. Fitzpatrick’s truck was parked nearby”

(So JRF was not IN his truck when found. “More than two months after his friend’s disappearance”—from what date, then—July 22? So, was he found near the end of Sept?)

I did not expect him to be found dead on his own and yes a ton of questions!
What state was his body and the truck in and why is the case sealed??? What do they know or suspect?
What happened to Fang and did they search the surrounding areas for her?
I doubt it!
At first I thought maybe an accident and she tried to go find help but why would an accident in a canyon be classified top secret???

I did not expect him to be found dead on his own and yes a ton of questions!
What state was his body and the truck in and why is the case sealed??? What do they know or suspect?
What happened to Fang and did they search the surrounding areas for her?
I doubt it!
At first I thought maybe an accident and she tried to go find help but why would an accident in a canyon be classified top secret???

Yes, what might it suggest, that “the case surrounding Fitzpatrick’s death was under seal”, as the article says?

”A spokesperson for the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office said Monday that the case surrounding Fitzpatrick’s death was under seal, and authorities could not comment on the ongoing investigation.”

I‘m sorry, I may be misunderstanding.
Fang’s transactions didn’t show where she used her credit card?
For instance, when I travel and use my credit card, my statement shows the date, place and amount charged—like for a restaurant, gift shop, gas station, etc.
If you are as guest with somebody , you have quite some cash and you are in a desolated place not to spend alot during your first days ... that will be the reason of no traceable transactions
I think the possibility of that is remote, indeed. There are military bases everywhere. JRF might have had identification that allowed him on base near 29 Palms, but that base is simply housing and auxiliary services, it's basically right in a town, has people coming and going all the time, and I don't see why the people at the gate of the Marine Base would see Jin Fang as anyone other than a guest of a military retiree with proper ID. Even if they did, they are not going to make a big case out of it. Most of the employees there are civilians, it is a purely logistical base. No secrets to discover, IMO.

There's no way that those Marines in 29 Palms would take captive a foreign national (and I'm sure they've had many chances). There's no reason to.

Unless, of course, there's something to be known about what Jin Fang was doing in the United States. I personally doubt that JFR ever took her there - although if you know that he did, let's add that to our timeline. I'm not even sure that they have a well-stocked commissary - people complain that it is expensive, looks to me the main functions are HR/personnel matters and providing medical care to Marines and Navy personnel in the area. It isn't even a very big hospital.

There are far more secretive, important places in California, but I've never heard of people going missing while trying to visit them (and people do visit, from all over the world - some of the bases have monuments and museums and all a person has to do is check in at a gate and leave when the base closes at night).

At any rate, would this visit to 29 Palms have been after they returned from Thermal? I thought there was no evidence that they had turned north again. Why would JRF also be missing? Unless the two of them really did something illegal on a military base, I just cannot picture that happening. At all.

IMO.
I do not think a Chinese can just enter the military base without being checked ???

Last edited:
Yes, what might it suggest, that “the case surrounding Fitzpatrick’s death was under seal”, as the article says?

A spokesperson for the San Diego County Medical Examiner’s Office said Monday that the case surrounding Fitzpatrick’s death was under seal, and authorities could not comment on the ongoing investigation.”
Can somebody tell me more about where he/she found this written comments ?

If you are as guest with somebody , you have quite some cash and you are in a desolated place not to spend alot during your first days ... that will be the reason of no traceable transactions

I do not think a Chinese can just enter the military base without being checked ???
No, they cannot. Here is some information I found:

"You must bring all required documents and be willing to submit to a background check. Usually, you’ll need to have a sponsor, too. However, this won’t be an issue if you’re visiting a Service Member. Something to keep in mind: Requirements for how to visit someone on a military base can be different depending on what base you’re trying to access, why you’re requesting access, and for how long you need access.

Many bases require non-military or military family members to have a sponsor to get on base. In this case, the sponsor (who needs to be a Service Member) must fill out a sponsorship form. If you are riding onto base in the car of your sponsor, you only need your driver’s license or another valid photo ID to pass through the gate. Keep in mind that some bases only allow the Service Member to sponsor one guest in their vehicle at a time. Others only limit the number to the amount of seats in your vehicle. Check with the Visitor’s Center to see if your base has restrictions."

Can somebody tell me more about where he/she found this written comments ?
In the article posted up thread.

The case is under seal with the medical examiner, so what that leads me to believe is that they will not release the autopsy report or cause of death right now due to ongoing law enforcement investigation.

I am sorry for what you are going through!

Will we learn JRF’s cause of death? That will be very important to begin figuring out what may have happened to Fang. This is so tragic and frightening.
Yes, of course, after the police investigation is over.

Rest in peace, JF.

At this point he is a victim, like any other deceased person, and IMO, police do not want baseless public speculation to overwhelm his family and friends, so that they can mourn their loss in peace.

IMO the police are focussing on what happened to Fang, they are not and never have been ignoring her disappearance, they just needed to find some evidence - namely the truck.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members