Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ JohnRoot Fitzpatrick, 55, missing, 30 Jul ‘23

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
He could have done something to her out of anger and/or while under the influence. He has a history of being volatile and substance misuse. Murder often is not planned.

Intimate partner violence is rarely planned. 50% of women who are murdered are killed by a husband or a boyfriend. JRF's criminal history is indeed quite concerning. Shows, at the least, poor impulse control.

IMO.

So, I'm guessing no one has any credit card or phone records access, is that right?

Could she have wanted to see some part of California's coast? Could they have been headed to San Diego? If she was a spontaneous person, I guess it might be hard to predict.
Soon there will be update of usage of her Chinese creditcards

The photos make it seem like a very rural area. The trailer homes are very old. From the exterior, it appears to be trapped in time, 50 years ago. Last time I looked through Zillow listings from recent years, and the interiors of many have been updated and are nice. It is a very "simple" life I think would be a good way to put it, not a lot of luxury.
The stereotype in American movies is often that these types of places are the home for unsavory characters. That is not usually the case. Although, one of the neighbors does appear on the sex offender registry.

It doesn't look that desolate to me. It looks like a typical low-rent trailer park that isn't trying to be one of the golf-course retirement communities that fill the Palm Desert-Indio area.

Yes, the trailers are old. A lot of trailers are about that age. It makes the place affordable. It looks like what you get when you want to be away from the central towns like Morongo Valley or 29 Palms, and want to be around similar-minded independent people.

Wow, she must have really trusted JRF a lot and believed they’d get along well to not have made any separate plans or accommodations. JMO*

Then, do you think she intended to spend her entire 3 months with JRF, and not to do any other sightseeing—independently?

* acronym that stands for ‘just my opinion’

I find it hard to believe she planned to spend the entire 3 months visit in the desert areas of California without visiting some of the other famous sites, possibly San Francisco, or even Las Vegas.

Both with or without him.

It doesn't look that desolate to me. It looks like a typical low-rent trailer park that isn't trying to be one of the golf-course retirement communities that fill the Palm Desert-Indio area.

Yes, the trailers are old. A lot of trailers are about that age. It makes the place affordable. It looks like what you get when you want to be away from the central towns like Morongo Valley or 29 Palms, and want to be around similar-minded independent people.

It's in a fairly rural part of Morongo Valley.
But, the super busy hwy is a short distance from the entrance.

I find it hard to believe she planned to spend the entire 3 months visit in the desert areas of California without visiting some of the other famous sites, possibly San Francisco, or even Las Vegas.

Both with or without him.
Do not forget that she dissapeared 7 days after arrival .... so in a normal visit period after example 2 weeks getting to know neighbourhood and eachother they might could have plans to visit Johns sister at east coast or who knows other areas such as grand canyon .... but probably she would have preferred planning during the first weeks and not months ahead of her visit ...

Do not forget that she dissapeared 7 days after arrival .... so in a normal visit period after example 2 weeks getting to know neighbourhood and eachother they might could have plans to visit Johns sister at east coast or who knows other areas such as grand canyon .... but probably she would have preferred planning during the first weeks and not months ahead of her visit ...

That's a good point.

I think that a week is probably the minimum of what they might have chosen for the very hot Joshua Tree NP and deserts area, then perhaps heading into the cooler mountains, or over to another NP such as Grand Canyon.

The original missing persons reports for JRF by the SBCSD on August 2 and entered into NamUs the following day have not been updated in the nearly eight weeks since.
Interestingly, NamUs lists date of last contact as July 22. The SBCSD bulletin makes no such claim.
A profile entered by: missingpersonscenter.org
on Aug 14, however, and updated on Sept. 27 claims: ‘JRF last seen by family or friends on July 22.
IMG_2125.pngIMG_2126.png
Really? All three bulletins trace the origination of the bulletins to a friend reporting the morning of July 30.
Just to refresh; FJ last contact was late-night erratic 7/21 video. JRF’s truck photographed 7/22 Thermal. Phone last pinged 7/24 Julian.
Is that accurate? Is the missingpersonscenter
claim believable? JRF was last seen on July 22? By the same friend reporting him missing July 30?
Did the friend who saw JRF see FJ also?
Has Detective Tyler Bengard conducted a cursory investigation by interviewing the ‘friend’ or knocking on a few doors at the trailer park or advising the ex-wives? Or is he waiting for evidence to be dropped onto his desk to begin to investigate?

Edited to change 7/24 to Julian. And now realize missingpersonscenter, whatever that is, prolly means JRF’s vehicle—not the man himself—was last seen on July 22.

Last edited:
Has Detective Tyler Bengard conducted a cursory investigation by interviewing the ‘friend’ or knocking on a few doors at the trailer park or advising the ex-wives? Or is he waiting for evidence to be dropped onto his desk to begin to investigate?

RSBM

IMHO, he's not doing much of anything at all since Fang and John are "voluntarily missing", in his opinion. MOO!

RSBM

IMHO, he's not doing much of anything at all since Fang and John are "voluntarily missing", in his opinion. MOO!
Exactly. Although it's not his decision - that decision was made elsewhere in the SBCSO. He could, however, be instrumental in changing that decision.

But basically, LEA's do not allocate funds to search for the "voluntarily missing" (adults who decide to take a break from communicating with their families). I wish I could believe that this happened in Jin Fang's case, but I do not believe it.

The investigator has to follow his rules of employment and I see nowhere in the U.S. where the voluntarily missing are active investigated.

I do believe the family should reconsider its decision not to talk to the friend - as that friend may be the main lead in this case. Whoever they are.

IMO

The original missing persons reports for JRF by the SBCSD on August 2 and entered into NamUs the following day have not been updated in the nearly eight weeks since.
Interestingly, NamUs lists date of last contact as July 22. The SBCSD bulletin makes no such claim.
A profile entered by: missingpersonscenter.org
on Aug 14, however, and updated on Sept. 27 claims: ‘JRF last seen by family or friends on July 22.
View attachment 451341View attachment 451342
Really? All three bulletins trace the origination of the bulletins to a friend reporting the morning of July 30.
Just to refresh; FJ last contact was late-night erratic 7/21 video. JRF’s truck photographed 7/22 Thermal. Phone last pinged 7/24 Julian.
Is that accurate? Is the missingpersonscenter
claim believable? JRF was last seen on July 22? By the same friend reporting him missing July 30?
Did the friend who saw JRF see FJ also?

Edited to change 7/24 to Julian. And now realize missingpersonscenter, whatever that is, prolly means JRF’s vehicle—not the man himself—was last seen on July 22.
Wouldn't his truck being photographed on 7/22 be the same as being "seen"? They were reported to have been at the campground and seen there by the employee/park ranger from what I understand, which is what led to the cameras being checked and the photo being discovered.
From the cases I have worked on, the "date of last contact" is usually entered as the last verifiable, known location. Not always "contact" as in spoken with someone.

^ bolded by me

Interesting. Did Fang mention to family and friends about JRF having a sister on the East Coast, or is this new information you learned through your PI?

They were reported to have been at the campground and seen there by the employee/park ranger from what I understand, which is what led to the cameras being checked and the photo being discovered.
c&bbm

Ohh this is something I wasn't aware of... I knew vehicle had been recorded as captured on camera - I didn't know either/both of them had been SEEN by employee or ranger - can this be confirmed somewhere...

@mark1969 what's the last date/time of Fang and/or JRF being seen by another person??

c&bbm

Ohh this is something I wasn't aware of... I knew vehicle had been recorded as captured on camera - I didn't know either/both of them had been SEEN by employee or ranger - can this be confirmed somewhere...

@mark1969 what's the last date/time of Fang and/or JRF being seen by another person??

RBBM

I saw the words, "they had been seen" and wondered if something wasn't quite worded correctly . . .

By all means, we need to verify if both of them were seen by the Park Ranger in the Thermal region.

Because if both of them were together after 07/21, when her last phone contact was made, then what happened to her thereafter?

Did her phone quit working while while she was with JRF? If so, did he refuse to let her use his phone for some reason, telling her she could buy one at the next town, which might be Julian?

Questions, questions.

JMVHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members