Found Deceased CA - Fang Jin, 47, flew to LA from China, train to Palm Springs, Morongo Basin, 21 Jul 2023, w/ JohnRoot Fitzpatrick, 55, missing, 30 Jul ‘23

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

imstilla.grandma

Believer of Miracles
Reaction score
Fang Jin, 47-year-old, missing since around July 22, 2023.
Missing woman Fang Jin

<more at link>

If you have information contact detective Tyler Bengard ((760) 366-4175 or (909) 387-8313) and reference report number 092301014.

Last edited by a moderator:
No chance they're actually camping in this heat. It's impossible. There are some small towns out in the basin and there are lots of residential-ish areas that still don't have cell coverage. Hoping that she's just been out of touch because of international phone plan issues!

No one knows who this man is?
If known, is he missing too?
Palm Springs? If this guy is from Palm Springs, he knows you don't camp in this heat. You don't even go hiking for more than about an hour or two.

I don't like the sound of this....at all.

No one knows who this man is?
If known, is he missing too?
Palm Springs? If this guy is from Palm Springs, he knows you don't camp in this heat. You don't even go hiking for more than about an hour or two.

I don't like the sound of this....at all.
I get Mackenzie Lueck vibes- maybe not the whole sugar daddy thing- a bad set up.

I get Mackenzie Lueck vibes- maybe not the whole sugar daddy thing- a bad set up.

With 90 Day Fiance overtones...imho.

Also reminds me of this one:

jmho ymmv lrr

I wish more details available like what was her return date, I assume traveling from China she would be staying over an extended period of time. Praying that cell service is limited and that’s why no one has been in contact.

For some reason I am assuming she met this mystery man online and didn't know him. Maybe because the wording is so vague. Mystery man lures her out into the desert, or perhaps she suggested it and he happily obliged. *Shudder.*

If she knew this person I might feel differently, but the Morongo Basin is scorching right now and doesn't always have the best reputation. Death Valley attracts a lot of people each summer who want to experience the famous extreme heat. Maybe she wanted to know what it was like. (I am well aware that DV is not in the Morongo Basin, simply providing a potential reason to camp in/visit the MB.)

Do some of us here still have "hinky meters"? I think I must, because this whole story makes me think H-I-N-K-Y. Also makes me hope the FBI gets involved in this case sooner than later!
Oh, my hinky meter is at Briscoe & Logan levels right now. According to this site, they had successfully camped at Joshua Tree National Park, after that, no contact. MOO If I was up to no good, that’s how I’d play it too, then all seems fine when she speaks to family, you have a few days before they get so worried they call authorities. IMO
They have vehicle details, (from the Park Service @ Joshua Tree?) if that’s accurate I’m concerned it didn’t lead to the mystery man. MOO

Oh, my hinky meter is at Briscoe & Logan levels right now. According to this site, they had successfully camped at Joshua Tree National Park, after that, no contact. MOO If I was up to no good, that’s how I’d play it too, then all seems fine when she speaks to family, you have a few days before they get so worried they call authorities. IMO
They have vehicle details, (from the Park Service @ Joshua Tree?) if that’s accurate I’m concerned it didn’t lead to the mystery man. MOO
The license plate listed is weird (24478S1). CA plates follow a sequence of one number, three letters, three numbers. Does this sequence provide any insight into the type of car (rental) or anything? I suppose it could be a personalized plate, but it's interesting no one has been identified through this info...at least as far as we know.

Perhaps Fang and her mystery companion did innocently venture into the desert but became overwhelmed by heat.

The license plate listed is weird (24478S1). CA plates follow a sequence of one number, three letters, three numbers. Does this sequence provide any insight into the type of car (rental) or anything? I suppose it could be a personalized plate, but it's interesting no one has been identified through this info...at least as far as we know.

Perhaps Fang and her mystery companion did innocently venture into the desert but became overwhelmed by heat.
That’s the thing, there’s not one good option here. If the mystery man is totally above board, and their camping plans continued normally after they left the State Park, then IMO they’re unlikely to be in another State Park, as LE would be able to find a record of the same car, I would think. If they ventured off the beaten path, then they could be in very serious trouble.
The plate number is weird. I’m trying to research what kind of plates they could be. No joy yet, just things that I can’t substantiate.
Where are you, Fang?

Take a look at this site and read the info under ‘Commercial’. I believe the license plate listed would fall into that format.

You’re right, and lower down ‘CA Exempt’.

So LE is likely to know who he is...or his employer...that's good.

Apparently though this vehicle is registered to a government entity?

imho that's weird. Did someone take a few vacation days and also sign out a vehicle???

Awaiting news!

jmho ymmv lrr

Her info about camping in this specific area would have come from the "male subject" (or some other local subject) right because none of her family or friends in China would have said that.
(saying that as a fellow non-USAer and someone whose close relative went missing abroad)
I'd like to know how and why this "male subject" knew her.
Does she have friends or family in the US or any other connection?

Take a look at this site and read the info under ‘Commercial’. I believe the license plate listed would fall into that format.

The missing page says it is a blue Toyota with that plate. I am guessing you are right about it being a commercial plate. It could be someone who works at or owns something like a catering business or equipment for parties (linens, tables and chairs, etc.), anything related to work where they may haul equipment or goods. Based on my personal knowledge (from a different state), having this type of plate also allows you to park in no-parking zones for a set amount of time -- for example, crowded city streets, right in front of a venue where you might need to load or unload stuff.

"California laws define a commercial vehicle as any vehicle that is used for the transport of property or persons. When used for the transport of persons, a vehicle falls in this category if it is being used for hire, compensation, or profit."

My first thought when someone said it was a CA exempt plate was someone in a diplomatic role. Is that possible? Would explain perhaps why she flew in from China and immediately met with this person. Could perhaps the connection be one from home rather than someone new she was meeting for the first time on arrival?

<modsnip - off limits unless/until LE says otherwise>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads