CA CA - Farren Stanberry, 18, San Francisco, 24 Apr 1980

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi all!

Has anyone tried to contact the San Francisco Public Library or San Francisco City Hall to use research in answer to the above questions? @Ciriii57 and I are really hoping for a National Hotel April 1980 Registry List! Is the National Hotel still in operation today?

Satch

Satch
Guys,

What about emailing them? @Ciriii57, I know that you are in a different time zone, so their chats and live social media contacts would only be open business hours in the USA. But email can be done at any time/

Satch

Guys,

What about emailing them? @Ciriii57, I know that you are in a different time zone, so their chats and live social media contacts would only be open business hours in the USA. But email can be done at any time/

Satch
Honestly I did try but there didn't seem to be an email for enquiries just specific people and I didn't know who I needed.I did find a few directories but they werent helpful. I think this is a job for someone local haha

Wow thats amazing! So he WAS in fact attending the John Day school in 1977...and then for some reason moved to Medford in 1978. I am still gettimg incredibly confused regarding the US school years and their names so you'll have to excuse me, regarding what @Satch stated above, does that mean that he may have been held back a year or is the yearbook wrong?
At least we now have the names of some of Farren's classmates as well...might be well worth trying to make contact with these people for some memories!
Thanks @Ciriii57! Great ideas!

On the yearbook years in the USA, School years ran from the Fall year to the Spring year the following year. School districts would start in late August or early September, and end their years in either Mid May or early June. Yearbooks would not be published until the Spring of that year.

Let's take a high school year in Farren's life as an example, 1977. Farren would have started school in late August or early September of 1977 and would have finished his schooling the following year in May or June of 1978. The yearbook would than be published by the yearbook staff in 1978. A yearbook is always a montage of students, and staff pictures encompassing those names and memories between the Fall and Spring terms.

If this site is giving Full yearbook access it would list Farren's name and his year in school when his classmates first start with the last name of "A." Freshmen= First year Sophomore= Second Year, Junior=Third Year, and Senior= Fourth year (year of graduation.) Farren could have been held back due to poor academic performance by a year, which most school districts in the USA would recommend if you were failing two or more classes.

Letter grades in the USA are given for achievement and are used in schools and colleges as a standard throughout the United States with few exceptions. These are the letter grades used:

A= Excellent

B= Above Average

C= Average

D= Below Average (Minimal Passing)

F= Failing

Additional + and - grades can be given for borderline cases.

Satch

Thanks @Ciriii57! Great ideas!

On the yearbook years in the USA, School years ran from the Fall year to the Spring year the following year. School districts would start in late August or early September, and end their years in either Mid May or early June. Yearbooks would not be published until the Spring of that year.

Let's take a high school year in Farren's life as an example, 1977. Farren would have started school in late August or early September of 1977 and would have finished his schooling the following year in May or June of 1978. The yearbook would than be published by the yearbook staff in 1978. A yearbook is always a montage of students, and staff pictures encompassing those names and memories between the Fall and Spring terms.

If this site is giving Full yearbook access it would list Farren's name and his year in school when his classmates first start with the last name of "A." Freshmen= First year Sophomore= Second Year, Junior=Third Year, and Senior= Fourth year (year of graduation.) Farren could have been held back due to poor academic performance by a year, which most school districts in the USA would recommend if you were failing two or more classes.

Letter grades in the USA are given for achievement and are used in schools and colleges as a standard throughout the United States with few exceptions. These are the letter grades used:

A= Excellent

B= Above Average

C= Average

D= Below Average (Minimal Passing)

F= Failing

Additional + and - grades can be given for borderline cases.

Satch
I'm really sorry I feel so dumb but clearly this is my kryptonite I just can't seem to get these school years and names I just get a blockage. I don't understand the 2 bolded things in your quote above. What is a school district (an area?)and why is it different times to a school year? And the letter A thing? You mean classes are all alphabetical?...well it's not important as luckily the rest of you get it. So:

Could the discrepancy be due to Farren being born at the end of August so he was either the youngest or the oldest in his year??
Having gone through each page of those yearbooks I can say with confidence that Farren was a Freshman in the 1977 yearbook at Grant Union and a Sophomore in the 1978 yearbook in Medford. He does not seem to have been involved in any extra activities or clubs in either school nor does he appear in any subsequent yearbooks so I think he left school at the close of 1978 school year.

So all I want to know is does that make sense with his age or was he definitely held back or was he just the oldest kid in his year?

Ciriii

Edit- sorry I reread and I do understand the students starting with A thing. Yes Farren is aming the Freshmen (A-z) and then the sophomore (A-z) so yes those were deffo the years he was in.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
I love the new yearbook photo! <modsnip> I really want to see him found. Wherever he is, I hope he knows we're doing our best.

In reviewing the thread, I don’t see where this UID found in Dec 1981, Hagerstown MD has been considered. He is not on Farren’s list of rule outs.

Estimated age range 18-30 with brown, wavy hair. Description of clothing is in NamUs.

UID was found at the bottom of a steep slope.

1685665249067.jpeg1685665264743.jpeg

In reviewing the thread, I don’t see where this UID found in Dec 1981, Hagerstown MD has been considered. He is not on Farren’s list of rule outs.

Estimated age range 18-30 with brown, wavy hair. Description of clothing is in NamUs.

View attachment 426005View attachment 426006
Wow!

One might think the distance from California to Maryland is too far for this to be considered. But I think it should be submitted. I see some resemblance. What do you all think?

Satch

I have color blindness to some colors, so not sure on this one!

Satch
So sorry @Satch you have color blindness. Hazel/blue is often mixed up or it's a combination and also depending who is looking at it. Like mixing up all kind of blonde hair colors...dishwater blonde, sandy blonde etc.

1685685302782.png
Eye color chart guide

In most eye colors, the melanin amount is consistent across the entire iris. But in hazel eyes, different amounts of melanin can exist in different parts of the iris. This is why some areas of hazel eyes can appear brown, while others might seem green, blue, or amber.

Djeez.... I definitely see a resemblance.

I'm really sorry I feel so dumb but clearly this is my kryptonite I just can't seem to get these school years and names I just get a blockage. I don't understand the 2 bolded things in your quote above. What is a school district (an area?)and why is it different times to a school year? And the letter A thing? You mean classes are all alphabetical?...well it's not important as luckily the rest of you get it. So:

Could the discrepancy be due to Farren being born at the end of August so he was either the youngest or the oldest in his year??
Having gone through each page of those yearbooks I can say with confidence that Farren was a Freshman in the 1977 yearbook at Grant Union and a Sophomore in the 1978 yearbook in Medford. He does not seem to have been involved in any extra activities or clubs in either school nor does he appear in any subsequent yearbooks so I think he left school at the close of 1978 school year.

So all I want to know is does that make sense with his age or was he definitely held back or was he just the oldest kid in his year?

Ciriii

Edit- sorry I reread and I do understand the students starting with A thing. Yes Farren is aming the Freshmen (A-z) and then the sophomore (A-z) so yes those were deffo the years he was in.

Also I have started sending some messages to the people I can find on social media from his yearbook asking for memories of him.
You are not the only one. I'm having difficulties with understanding the American school system and the used terminology too, being from Europe. Is there a law that states that you have to attend education to a certain age in America? Or can you just drop out, without any consequences?

You are not the only one. I'm having difficulties with understanding the American school system and the used terminology too, being from Europe. Is there a law that states that you have to attend education to a certain age in America? Or can you just drop out, without any consequences?
Thank you! I'm so glad it not just me!

Amazing similarity! You might as well submit it! I can't imagine what he was doing in Maryland without telling anyoneand no money but there's nothing to lose.
I notice this UIDs remains were disposed of years ago and only partial dentals and fingerprints are available so it may never be possible to 100% positively I'd him.

@Caring1 John Doe thread?

Oh my....I did something very wrong. This site automatically made a page for Farren when I tried to find him in the yearbook for 1979 in case he went to school until approx. August 1979. http://grantunionhighschool.org/john_day-or/class-of-1979.html

Another source (sorry if this is already posted upthread)

Details of Disappearance

Farren was past heard from in May or June of 1980 in San Francisco, California. He had left his home in John Day, Oregon on August 26, 1979 on his 18th birthday and told his family that he wanted to see the world. He started traveling the country after that and called his family once a month to assure them that he was fine.

He called his family in May or June of 1980 and told his family that he was staying at the International Hotel with a few other young men and had lost his job which caused a shortage of money. He asked his mother to send him more money but she refused to do so. He also called his grandmother the same day and told her he loved her. She stated there was nothing unusual about the call.

Farren never called his family’s again. His family called the hotel he was in several weeks later and found he had not cashed his bill and left all of his things behind. They stated this was not like him.

His family and investigators believe that he is deceased and it’s unclear what happened to him. His disappearance remains unsolved and Oregon authorities are investigating his disappearance.

Yes, there are most state laws for a child's school education in America

They state you have to attend school until you are 16. Dropping out is often frowned upon in the states, and stereotyped with being an under-achiever, a loser, negative terms that we have all heard from that one teacher we hated. Most employers expect applicants to graduate from high school, and than have some college or technical training. Getting a degree is best if you can.

If you drop out of school, you have the option to study and take a Graduate Equivalency Degree or a GED exam, which is the equivalent of a high school diploma. If you pass your GED, that is equal to getting your high school diploma.

Satch

View attachment 426108
View attachment 426109

I was able to locate an article that was published the day after UP2250 was found in Maryland. It states that he had been there several months. Can that equate to a year and a half? Not sure.

He is described to have a long, dark brown pony tail, which does not quite reflect the recon above.

The distance from where Farren was last seen in SF, CA to MD is quite a distance and a bit difficult to explain logically other than he had to flee quickly with no time to retrieve his belongings from his hotel room or possibly long hauled and dumped after a misfortunate encounter.

I still think it’s worth submitting due to age estimate, timeframe and obvious resemblance in facial characteristics. (I really don’t put a lot of stock into the resemblance but there’s no denying they are similar).

1685699302837.jpeg
1685699319404.jpeg

Yes, there are most state laws for a child's school education in America

They state you have to attend school until you are 16. Dropping out is often frowned upon in the states, and stereotyped with being an under-achiever, a loser, negative terms that we have all heard from that one teacher we hated. Most employers expect applicants to graduate from high school, and than have some college or technical training. Getting a degree is best if you can.

If you drop out of school, you have the option to study and take a Graduate Equivalency Degree or a GED exam, which is the equivalent of a high school diploma. If you pass your GED, that is equal to getting your high school diploma.

Satch
Would it be more common in 1980 for someone not academic to drop out though? Maybe more acceptable than now to leave and get a job?
Thanks to @Bit of hope We now know that he was at John Day first and then moved to Medford. So he was raised by his gran. So I wonder what made him move to Medford for his Sophomore year. The high school in John Day was tiny, just a few hundred students but The school in Medford was much bigger. Perhaps he struggled to fit in to a much bigger school where he didn't know anyone. Moving schools must be really hard at that age when friendship groups have already formed. I might also have been tempted to drop out and then, with notging to do just go travelling. I do think he looks much less happy in the Medford photo than the John Day ones.

@Ciriii57,

More traveling confusion and frustration for Farren I would say! It is difficult to fit into a new school as it is, but when you are moving to different schools a lot, that is a huge psychological burden . We moved when I was a kid, and I was associated with three different elementary schools during my K-6 years. I was extremely introverted though and still am to this day, There are only a few people that I remember from that time.

When Farren decided to see the world when he turned 18, I wonder if he was living in Medford, or back in John Day again? When grandma reported him missing in June of 1980, where were the Stanberry's living? How was it again that Farren's Uncle never knew him?

<modsnip: off topic>

We know know that Farren visited the campground earlier in 1980. Would like to know the month of that? Was this the last facial contract known that Farren had with any family? And were they living in Medford or John Day at that time?

I sense more and more a lot of stress in Farren's life, and this is even before he left!

Satch

@Ciriii57,

More traveling confusion and frustration for Farren I would say! It is difficult to fit into a new school as it is, but when you are moving to different schools a lot, that is a huge psychological burden . We moved when I was a kid, and I was associated with three different elementary schools during my K-6 years. I was extremely introverted though and still am to this day, There are only a few people that I remember from that time.

When Farren decided to see the world when he turned 18, I wonder if he was living in Medford, or back in John Day again? When grandma reported him missing in June of 1980, where were the Stanberry's living? How was it again that Farren's Uncle never knew him?

<modsnip: off topic>

We know know that Farren visited the campground earlier in 1980. Would like to know the month of that? Was this the last facial contract known that Farren had with any family? And were they living in Medford or John Day at that time?

I sense more and more a lot of stress in Farren's life, and this is even before he left!

Satch
Good thoughts @Satch
<modsnip: quoted post was snipped>

I'm still not sure about the camping trip to be honest, it still really bothers me that his aunt remembers that as the last time she saw him (something I think would stand out in your mind). Sergeant Rand confirmed this was before he went to SF but not when or why or even if it was before his trip to the East, but he did pretty much dismiss it as not relevant. It still confuses me tbh. My own theory is that he returned after the greyhound trip east and then went off again, from the campground to SF and the 2 events were misremembered in the family's minds. (Totally my own theory, nothing proven).

<modsnip>

It must have been hard and maybe even lonely starting a new school school leaving all your friends behind. I can believe this is why he dropped out, but it doesn't explain what took him to Medford in the first place. But it certainly seems to have given Farren the confidence to get up and travel all by himself. A very brave young man.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eridachtlin
Back