CA - Five killed, 4 injured in Santa Monica shooting spree, 7 June 2013

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
According to CNN TV, the press conference is now scheduled for around 1 pm Pacific.

Officials are currently setting-up for the presser.

Presser just started...CNN TV.

Presumably the name of the killer will be released at that time, hopefully with additional info including the origin and religion of the family. Much is already out there on the net about all of this, and needs official confirmation. I'm hoping that ppl will refrain from making this into something it is not.

~jmo~

Thank you!

Sometimes I wish these people with "issues" would just get help.
If they want to 'end it all'...that's their choice. Just do it alone and don't harm anyone else ---if you think your life is so worthless.
Or better yet...maybe get your life turned around and spend some time helping someone else ?
My condolences to the families of those affected. So horrible !!!!

Had the shooter not have been stopped, 1300 rounds could have been fired. Wow.

The Chief is a class act, so professional. Thank you LE and first responders.

This is so sad! She had just gone through a kidney transplant, heading back to college, Dad driving her to get her books (he's dead too). There aren't enough words to describe how I feel about the suspect...taking innocent lives. If I said what I felt, I would be in band camp. Sickening!! All of these lives, forever changed by one ....

Neighbor Describes Alleged Santa Monica Shooter As ‘Useless Human’
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...lleged-santa-monica-shooter-as-useless-human/

SANTA MONICA (CBSLA.com) — A neighbor of the alleged Santa Monica gunman described him as a “useless human” who was abusive toward his mother.

“Her son, the younger one, is very, very strange,” said neighbor Beverly Meadows. “Howling, screaming, would yell at her mercifully. And he’s just…not right.”

Meadows added, “Useless human. Doesn’t work. Supposed to be going to school, but not really. He’s home all the time.”

SM Police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks stated that the names of the house fire victims as well as the suspect will not be released pending notification of kin who may be out of the country. She said he would have turned 24 yrs old today. That birth information contradicts what's been stated at various sites on the net (blogs and twitter). Similar to the Lanza case, it is possible that the public had the name of the brothers switched (which one was killed, which one was killer).

~jmo~

Santa Monica shooting suspect, possible motive identified, officials say
http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/...ntified-john-zawahri-20130608,0,1143675.story

The gunman accused of killing four people in a Santa Monica shooting rampage Friday was apparently angry over his parents' divorce and had some mental health issues in the past, a law enforcement source told The Times.

The suspect was identified by five law enforcement sources in Washington and Los Angeles as John Zawahri, in his 20s.

Other sources with knowledge of the investigation said detectives believe the shooting was sparked by a family dispute of some kind but emphasized that the investigation was still in its early stages.

Earlier story updated since presser:

Source: Santa Monica gunman previously hospitalized for mental health

Investigators are still trying to determine the motive in a shooting rampage that also left five people wounded, Santa Monica Police Chief Jacqueline Seabrooks told reporters Saturday.
The gunman had addresses connected to a house where the rampage began and to a residence in Los Angeles' Palms neighborhood, Seabrooks said.

~jmo~

Neighbor Describes Alleged Santa Monica Shooter As ‘Useless Human’
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2013...lleged-santa-monica-shooter-as-useless-human/

SANTA MONICA (CBSLA.com) — A neighbor of the alleged Santa Monica gunman described him as a “useless human” who was abusive toward his mother.

“Her son, the younger one, is very, very strange,” said neighbor Beverly Meadows. “Howling, screaming, would yell at her mercifully. And he’s just…not right.”

Meadows added, “Useless human. Doesn’t work. Supposed to be going to school, but not really. He’s home all the time.”
So, if this CBS article is accurate, that would mean that the younger son, the shooter, would have 'celebrated' his 24th birthday today.

California Birth Index, 1905-1995
Birth, Marriage & Death
NAME: John Samir Zawahri
BIRTH: 8 Jun 1989 - Los Angeles, California

So, if this CBS article is accurate, that would mean that the younger son, the shooter, would have 'celebrated' his 24th birthday today.

California Birth Index, 1905-1995
Birth, Marriage & Death
NAME: John Samir Zawahri
BIRTH: 8 Jun 1989 - Los Angeles, California

Yep, just the opposite of what net searchers were 'reporting', that the older brother whose first name starts with a C was the shooter.

~jmo~

Any one know if his mother was involved or where she was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any one know if his mother was involved or where she was?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read in one article last night that the mother may be out of the country. If so, she would be the reason the suspect name was not released by officials, pending notification of kin.

~jmo~

Santa Monica shooting victim dies, bringing toll to 5

A 26-year-old woman who had registered to take summer classes at Santa Monica College died Sunday from wounds she sustained in a shooting Friday.
Marcela Franco was with her father, Carlos Navarro Franco, 68, in an SUV on campus when they were shot. She was going to buy textbooks at the time.

~jmo~

I am wondering when the mental illness started, he was enrolled in college(2010) so he must have graduated HS, wonder what happened.

Slain Santa Monica College groundskeeper was 'truly a family man'

Franco was a dedicated father and husband who had worked as a groundskeeper at Santa Monica College for 22 years, college President Chui L. Tsang said in a statement.

"He was a dedicated husband and father and an integral part of the Santa Monica College family," Tsang said. His work was appreciated by "anyone who strolled through the main campus, especially the quad."

Everything Franco did was for his job and family, supervisor Tom Corpus said.

“He was just a great asset to the college,” Corpus said. “He tried to make people happy and make sure he did the best job he could.”

(more at link)

R.I.P.

~jmo~

THANKS SHANA for all your updates! :tyou:

You are most welcome! :-)

Current (updated) article from CNN:

Santa Monica shooting victim dies, bringing toll to 5

The superintendent of the Santa Monica-Malibu school district said Zawahri attended a high school for students behind in academic credits in 2006.

Authorities believe the house was set on fire before Sam and Chris Zawahri were shot.

~jmo~

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sleuthchic
Back