CA CA - Gilroy, HispUnkMale, Adult, UP127784, found in sewer drainage gate, "Nike Air" tank top, Jul/97

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

lightofmine99

♞Ⅸ
Reaction score
Gilroy John Doe (1997)
a.k.a "Drainage Gate John Doe"
UP127784 (NU)
99RECON.png
Reconstruction of John Doe, c.1999.
Circumstances:
Decedent was found in a sewer drainage gate the opening of which coincided with the flow of waste material from the nearby tomato processing plant. (per NamUs).

Case Numbers:
  • Doe Network: N/A
  • NamUs: UP127784
  • ME/C: 97-197-003
Overview:
  • Date Body Found: July 17, 1997.
  • NamUs Created: August 19, 2024.
  • Tribal Land: NO.
  • PMI: UNKNOWN
  • State of Remains: Not recognizable - Decomposing/Putrefaction
  • Cause of Death: UNKNOWN
Physical:
  • Sex: Male
  • Race/Ethnicity: Hispanic/Latino, Uncertain
  • Height: 5' 5"(65 inches) , est.
  • Weight: 140-150 lbs, est.
  • Hair: Black
    • A number of straight black hairs are attached to a portion of the occipital scalp that is still connected.
  • Eye: UNKNOWN
    • There is no tissue in the orbit.
Identifiers:
  • Dentals: UNKNOWN
  • DNA: UNKNOWN
  • Prints: UNKNOWN
  • Marks / Features: N/A
Personal Affects:
  • Clothing:
    • White/grey tank top with the marking "Nike Air" on the front.
    • Remnants of pants or shorts. Label reads "large". This garment is mostly shredded and is found wrapped around the ankles of the decedent.
  • Jewelry: NONE
  • Add'l Items: NONE
Links:
NamUs: UP127784 (ARCHIVE)
Doe Network: N/A

Notes:
One newspaper article indicates this John Doe is one of two that were found in the sewer within 15 days and the first to be found. Gilroy John Doe 1997 #2 was added into NamUs first, which I shared here earlier. Gilroy John Doe 1997 #2's profile on NamUs includes newspaper article scans. Authorities seem to believe that these two John Does are connected somehow, most likely having been killed by the same suspect(s).

Interestingly, Gilroy John Doe 1997 #1's profile indicates the sewer in which he was found was related to a tomato processing plant, while Gilroy John Doe 1997 #2's profile simply states he was found in an "agricultural sewer." This John Doe also has a digital reconstruction while his counterpart does not (as of 8/21/2024).

The thread I created for Gilroy John Doe 1997 #2, who I have nicknamed the "Shorter Man John Doe."

NamUs: UP127546

As of 8/21/2024, there are zero exclusions for both John Does.

I was reviewing this one a couple of nights ago and was comparing these photos that looked very close. Now trying to find MP profile again. I was apprehensive due to location, circumstances and estimated height if I remember this one correctly. Let me look for it. Only saved the photos.

1724255231073.jpeg

Here he is. Missing January 1997 from Greeley Colorado.

Eric went to a bar with friends in Denver and never returned to Greeley. He has not been seen since. Maybe he was promised work and went to CA with people he met but if he had personal items and belongings in CO, seems he would retrieve them.

Height was reported to be 4’10 and weight 110-115, so would be quite off from the UID estimated. Also, Denver to Gilroy is a very long distance. I wouldn’t say impossible but just seems to be not enough to be a potential match.

There is a 2005 news article that indicates a lady living locally was able to obtain the remains of both of the John Does and bury them on her family plot in Mexico.
I hope they can be reunited with their own families one day. They do have DNA so entirely possible.

A quote from the 2005 article below.

“Gilroy police detectives have said they are hesitant about allowing the bodies to be buried in a place to which the homicide victims do not necessarily have ties.

“What do I say if someone comes in and says, ‘This is my son’?” Devlin said. The family would then incur the inconvenience and potential cost of bringing the bodies back”.

How do you know there is DNA available for comparison?
There is a quote in the article stating that some families that had missing family members submitted DNA but none matched to either JD.

“I’ve been to Washington, D.C., this has been on America’s Most Wanted,” said Gilroy police Officer Stan Devlin, who handled the case when the bodies were found. “We’ve done some DNA tests on people who were missing family members and thought this might be them, but those have all been negative.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladjusik
Back