CA - Hannah,16,Devonte,15,&Ciera Hart,12 (fnd deceased),Mendocino Cty,26 Mar 2018 #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Crazy how the dad had no idea but that's just the way it is with black men, it seems.

Huh? What an odd generalization imo.

I think that’s the way it is with men in general, regardless of what race they are. My white husband has daughters and doesn’t know how to do a braid, use a curling iron, etc.

It's been around forever. Much of spanking or whipping can be linked to slavery and discipline in prisons and ships. But striking kids has been around forever. Primates do it in the animal world. Nations with capital punishment tend to be nations that favor it.

Spanking as a form of discipline is more common among certain
ethnic groups and much more popular among less educated/lower
income people. The more education and economic stability the less use of corporal punishment.

Legally bruatlizing children was perfectly acceptable. Even killing them, historically. Including in the US. Attitudes about what is an acceptable level of physical punishment have slowly changed from super harsh to not leaving a mark. (Although reading comments defending that ball player who totally flogged his four year old for a minor transgression, one would never know).

I can provide links.

One thing that is disturbing here are the comments by Hannah that she was being whipped and her parents were racist. The implications of all that in the context of the whole cross-ethnic adoption debate are significant.

(Oh and caveat- I fully understand concerns by groups who feel adoption can be used to destroy a culture, etc. But I also think that parents who adopt regardless of ethnicity and are just happy to love a child are wonderful, beautiful humans who we need more of in the world. Especially as
so many kids languish in foster care).

[emoji1476]

Only thing I would add in there somewhere is the correlation between certain ethnic groups' history of oppression and their use of discipline because it is an influential factor in educational and economic opportunities.

MOO*

Thanks for sharing, that makes so much sense to me that it could be a possibility - that they were afraid of them. Only thing is, were the children getting regular medical care? I’m surprised more has not come out about this. My friend adopted two African American siblings and though she makes very good money, they still qualify for Medicaid as their primary. You would think their medical history could be pulled up easily by the state - but wonder if privacy keeps it from being released?

So wonderful to hear about your daughter thriving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea doctors told my mom that my sisters moments after her birth that my sister wouldn't be able to speak or do anything on her own in life (she and my mom lost some oxygen during the delivery process)

....My sister graduated college a few years ago and walking and talking just fine. [emoji1476][emoji1488][emoji1478][emoji1487]

MOO*

my 2 (bio) daughters have black hair, my sister-in-law helped me learn how to care for it while they were growing up, since their dad had no idea and my hair is straight up Barbie hair.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Your two bio daughters have Black hair? Well are they Black? [emoji848]

... ya gotta have to learn how to describe their hair. There are Black people with very loose coils or wiry/stringy hair akin to a Barbie.

MOO*

http://www.koin.com/news/crashes/jennifer-hart-friend-im-more-confused-than-before/1129169442

This is a new article about a Hart family friend who was mentioned earlier in one of the posts that was removed because it was based on social media.
[FONT=&amp]...
The image Bakhtiar paints, however, is one of contradictions. On one hand, she said Jennifer told her that the children would never be able to live normal, independent lives as adults – that they would never be able to marry or have children of their own.[/FONT]
[FONT=&amp]
[/FONT]

That is just weird. Maybe, maybe, maybe this was true for some of the kids, but Ciera, Hannah, and Devonte? No way. They in no way had the look of someone who mentally or emotionally can't handle adult life. No way. I see intelligence, spirit, and joie de vivre in their eyes, motions, smiles, everything. Even in Hannah's defiant closed-lip forced smiles. Especially in them.

I think Bakhtiar may have never known a bipolar narcissist. I have. I loved her; she was my grandmother. For decades I never saw the evil side of her because my mother wanted me only to have good experiences with her. But when I learned the truth, and saw for myself how she could behave when her mental health spiraled downward, I was shocked. She was Jekyll & Hyde. People who knew nothing about bipolar or NPD thought she was just a nasty person. People who never saw her nasty thought she was loving and generous. Only those who saw both sides *and* understood mental illness could realize that she really was Jekyll, but Hyde was beyond her control. She wasn't dx'd till 3 weeks before she died, so she never knew what was going on, and she'd had it her entire life so she just thought that other people really were out to get her sometimes and that life really should revolve around her, etc.

Sad, sad, sad. I've seen this in Jen right from the start, but I'm not a doctor and didn't know her, so I'm not pretending to know for sure she had bipolar and/or NPD. But that combination certainly can explain someone who really is loving ... and really is out-of-control crazy-nasty when crossed or triggered.

IMO, this was always the couple's plan.The children lacked any survival skills required to fit in the current age in terms of technology and other essential tools and knowledge. Imagine a teenager in 2018 who doesn't have a mobile phone, an email account, a primary-education degree or a licence to drive a car. They were destined to live in seclusion and be used as extra numbers in camps and rallies.

While I don't disagree with the rest, I have to point out that *many* teens don't have those things. Some are free spirits like the Harts' friends, or in the homeschooling community and will ultimately fill the dire skilled-trade gap (although not having a GED is a problem, I don't know if these poor dead children would have ended up that way or not). Some are public school dropouts who can't afford any of those things and may or may not end up with a skilled trade or starting their own business. Many, many (I personally know many) are very poor African-Americans, just like these children started out. They don't have phones or email accounts and certainly can't afford insurance or drivers' lessons and may or may not graduate from high school. It's very, very common. Most will eventually get phones as adults ... and that's about it.

Just context.

All I can think of is the pain and future issues that creates. My upbringing was a little more small town free range, though we had a host of other problems. My husband was brought up the way you were and I can see how negatively it has affected him. Your parents literally told you that you were not allowed to have emotions, that it was not ok to feel upset or hurt by their actions. My husband used to have immense anger issues, I feel like this would happen to most kids.

Just as another point-of-view, I was raised by parents who occasionally used the "I'll give you something to cry about" line. Most of my friends and relatives were, too. I see zero anger issues in any of us. I think the context matters *hugely*. It was only used when we were whining because we didn't get our way on something that really would have been bad for us, but we didn't care because we were, by definition, immature children. So if we were whining because we couldn't have a third ice cream cone, or wailing because we wanted to go to Six Flags, or stomping and screaming because we were firmly-but-gently reminded not to throw a ball in the house, that's the kind of times when that line might be pulled out. Is it genius psychological parenting? Not so much. But it wasn't harmful in this context to us, not at all.

Parents who use it to shut down any emotion a child has, or legitimate crying over legitimate sorrows (even minor ones, like a lizard dying)? That's wrong and harmful.

Huh? What an odd generalization imo.

I think that’s the way it is with men in general, regardless of what race they are. My white husband has daughters and doesn’t know how to do a braid, use a curling iron, etc.

Indeed. Very odd generalization. I don't know how to tie neckties or shave faces. Every time I have a son old enough to learn, his father teaches him, and it will always be that way unless, God forbid, something happens to my husband.

I will assume we're misunderstanding her words; if not, that's quite a bigoted statement, quite at odds with the anti-bigotry statements from the link in her sig (which accuses most of TX of bigotry and blind idiocy).

Just as another point-of-view, I was raised by parents who occasionally used the "I'll give you something to cry about" line. Most of my friends and relatives were, too. I see zero anger issues in any of us. I think the context matters *hugely*. It was only used when we were whining because we didn't get our way on something that really would have been bad for us, but we didn't care because we were, by definition, immature children. So if we were whining because we couldn't have a third ice cream cone, or wailing because we wanted to go to Six Flags, or stomping and screaming because we were firmly-but-gently reminded not to throw a ball in the house, that's the kind of times when that line might be pulled out. Is it genius psychological parenting? Not so much. But it wasn't harmful in this context to us, not at all.

Parents who use it to shut down any emotion a child has, or legitimate crying over legitimate sorrows (even minor ones, like a lizard dying)? That's wrong and harmful.

How do you decide which emotions are legitimate and valid enough to get a kind, teaching response? Does the child's perspective come into play at all? What about teaching why doing the thing would be harmful? How is threatening a crying child ever helpful for the child?

This conversation started because I had noticed that JH's discipline regime, as told to officers, was to spank the child if they continued to cry after being sent to their room. I had pointed out that children who are in trouble often cry and can take awhile to calm down depending on the consequence so spanking them because they refused to calm down is very detrimental to their mental well-being IMO. I have heard of this happening in several homes and it always astonishes and saddens me.

Thanks for the timeline, Kaa Boom. Wondering if you could add two things, especially in light of the recent ID of Ciera. (There was a counter-directional, unexplained stop at the outset of the trip that possibly could be related to the disappearance of HH and DH):

1. LE have stated that they know a stop was made in Naselle, WA, prior to the drive south along Hwy 101 and Rte. 1. They still do not know why that northwesterly stop was made before the drive south to Caifornia. The fastest route from Woodlawn, WA to Naselle, WA according to Google is abt 1hr 31 min (77.2 mi.) via WA-4 W. From there they could travel south on 401, cross the bay to Astoria, continuing south on 101 to Leggitt, as LE have described. (Or, they could've added 30 minutes to their drive by continuing west from Naselle, if they dropped the dogs off at the dog-friendly beach on Long Beach. Remember, the dogs are still missing, too.)

2. Some reports have the family not leaving Fort Bragg at 9 pm Sat 3/24, but 'staying the night.' No link available so do with that what you will. But you might want to add to the timeline the 3/25 Sunday morning surveillance video at the Safeway in Fort Bragg.

Thanks!

Good suggestions. I added Safeway to the timeline. I also added a mention about the Naselle, WA in the Newport OR entry. I can't really give it it's own entry, because I can't find any information about what time they stopped there.

March 2004: Earliest known public record that shows Jennifer Hart and Sarah Gengler, both from South Dakota, residing in Alexandria, Minnesota.

Summer 2004: The Harts take in a foster child named Lee. Then they later abandoned her the next Spring after they dropped her off at a therapist’s appointment, never to see her again.

May 2005: Sarah Hart petitions to change her last name from Gengler to Hart.

September 2006: Jennifer and Sarah Hart adopt siblings Markis, Abigail and Hannah.

September 2008: According to a police report from Alexandria, Minnesota, Hannah, then 6, tells authorities that one of her mothers bruised her with a belt. Asked about the beating, Jennifer and Sarah Hart tell a police investigator and social worker the girl had fallen down the stairs.

February 2009: Jennifer and Sarah adopt Devonte and two of his siblings — bringing their number of children to six. An article from Paper Trail, a New Zealand-based news outlet, describes his adoption. The article said by age 4, the boy had been abused, neglected, shot at and had endured other traumas.

September 1, 2009: Jennifer and Sarah Hart are married in Connecticut, Jennifer is listed as the groom and Sarah is listed as the bride.

November 2010: Police in Alexandria, Minnesota interview Abigail Hart, 6 at the time, after a teacher discovers bruises stretching from her sternum to her navel. The girl says Jennifer Hart hit her with a closed fist, put her head in a cold bath, then hit her again, court records show. She was then grounded, the girl told police, which meant she had to stay in bed and miss lunch.

December 2010: Alexandria, MN home listed for sale.

April 2011: Sarah Hart pleads guilty to abusing Abigail Hart and is sentenced to a year of probation for misdemeanor domestic assault, court records show. Sarah told police she was the one who hit Abigail, even though the girl told authorities her mother Jennifer had done it. The next day, all six of the Hart children are taken out of public schools. They never attend public school again.

October 2011: The family lives in Alexandria, Minnesota, for a time and takes part in local activism. Hart family members including Devonte and Jennifer Hart participate in an Occupy Minneapolis demonstration.

2012: According to friends in Oregon, Sarah Hart travels to Portland to look for work. Jennifer Hart and their children later join her. Hannah loses front teeth after allegedly falling in house acceding to Jen's FB post.

August 2012: Alexandria MN house re-listed for sale.

October 2012: Sarah begins work at Kohls in Oregon (Sarah's LinkedIn resume).

December 2012: Jennifer and kids travel to Oregon, getting a ride with the Lees after rollover accident in Missoula According to Statesman Journal article.

April 2013- Alexandria, MN house sold. The family moves to West Linn, family friend Alexandra Argyropoulos tells Oregon child welfare officials that the Hart parents have been depriving their kids of food as punishment, she says. The Harts break off contact with her when they learn of it. Argyropoulos says she was told the Hart children had been interviewed by Oregon officials; it was apparent that each child had been coached by their mothers on what to say; and nothing more could be done by the Oregon Department of Human Services.

2013: Portland Portland musician of the band Nahko and Medicine for the People Ribner began offering music classes to the Hart children. The Hart children also started volunteering at the Good Neighbor Family Pantry

July 2013: The police department responds to a call to the Hart's house.

November 2014: Family members participate in a Portland protest of a Missouri grand jury declining to indict a Ferguson police officer in the fatal shooting of Michael Brown. Devonte and a Portland police officer hug, and the photo of the moment goes viral.

March 2016: Family members join U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont onstage during a presidential campaign rally in Vancouver.

May 2017: Jennifer and Sarah Hart buy a two-story, 3-bedroom home on 2 acres of land in the Woodland area of Clark County, Washington, property records show.

June 2017: Jennifer's rough year FB post.

March 23, 2018: The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services opens a Child Protective Services investigation in which the Hart children are "identified as potential victims of alleged abuse or neglect."

March 23, 2018: The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services attempts without success to make contact with the Hart family.

March 24, 2018 - 3:00 AM: Sarah Hart sends a middle-of-the-night text message to friend Cheryl Hart, only hours after child protective services first visited the family's home, saying she was so sick she might have to go to the hospital. The friend never made contact again.

March 24, 2018 - 8:14 AM: The family is in or around Newport, Oregon, after a stop in Naselle, Washington. It's believed they continue south on Route 101 until they reach State Route 1 in Leggett, California.

March 24, 2018 - 8:00 PM The Harts travel south on State Route 1 until they reach the Fort Bragg area in Mendocino.

March 25, 2018 - 8:05 a.m. Jennifer Hart appears alone on surveillance video at a Safeway in Fort Bragg, buying bananas and several other items.

March 25, 2018 - 9:00 PM: The family leaves Fort Bragg.

March 26, 2018: The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services again unsuccessfully attempts to make contact with the Hart family. They call 911 and ask the Sheriff's Department to do a welfare check on the family.

March 26, 2018 - 1:15 PM: Cheryl Hart calls 911 and asked the Sheriff's Department to do a welfare check on Sarah Hart. "Nobody has been able to get ahold of her, talk to her or seen her since," she told the dispatcher.

March 26, 2018: A passer-by along Highway 1 in Westport, California, calls 911 after looking down a 100-foot embankment and seeing an SUV upside down on the rocky shoreline. Five people are found dead: three children outside the SUV and two women inside.

March 27, 2018: The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services makes a third unsuccessful attempt to contact the Hart family.

March 28, 2018: The women are identified by the Mendocino County's Sheriff's Office as Jennifer and Sarah Hart and their children as Markis, Jeremiah and Abigail. Three of their other children: Devonte, Hannah and Sierra, remain missing. Sheriff Tom Allman said a search is ongoing for the remaining three children.

March 29, 2018: Police continue to search for the three missing children, including Devonte, and to investigate why the SUV plunged off the California cliff. Authorities don't know if the kids were also in the car, but are basing their search on the assumption that they were thrown from the car into the cliffs or the surf.

March 31, 2018: Officials reveal the speedometer on the Harts' wrecked SUV was "pinned" at 90 mph.

April 2, 2018: Officials say the crash may have been intentional, saying data taken from the family's SUV shows the vehicle came to a complete stop at the Route 1 pullout before speeding off the cliff. The search for the missing children becomes a "recovery effort."

April 2, 2018: "I'm to the point where I'm no longer calling this an accident, I'm calling it a crime," Mendocino County Sheriff Tom Allman tells HLN's Ashleigh Banfield.

April 7, 2018: An unidentified body, believed to be that of a black female, is found in the ocean near the site of the crash. Officials said an identification could take weeks.

Quoted from kizzykat in previous thread regarding the Dr. Oz show with the neighbors:

What the actual &!?@ ???

I've been trying to give these folks the benefit of the doubt, saying it must have been hard for them, they weren't prepared to handle a situation like this...

but if you legit think a Turpin type situation is going on with the kids next door and you still don't call authorities, I don't even know how to begin to make an excuse for that. That was infuriating to hear.

Well, I think I understand this a little bit. I am often very, very hesitant to believe what I'm seeing (odd, but it's something very inherent in me, very deep). Secondly, I'm not sure that Dana thought things were really bad before the Turpin incident, but it seemed to me more like a light bulb went off when she saw the Turpin news. I can see how it could happen that way with me.

And, I'll say this: In a certain sense, the children looked and seemed very normal. (I don't know what they were wearing when she saw them in person but, in all likelihood, baggy clothing again.) When I look at many of the photos online, I'm often surprised at just how "normal" they look, even some smiles that seems sincere and, against all odds, I see some innocence. I don't see any "teenage-angst" or the so typical sullenness, or unwillingness to speak to "adults" (although teenagers are really practically "adults".) I can see someone saying to himself "maybe I'm misunderstanding the situation; maybe they're just mad at their parents", etc.

I feel bad for the Dekalbs a bit (although I posted a while back some criticism as well) because I can imagine how often they think back and wished they'd done things differently when it was totally and completely the Hart's who did this.

[snip]
While I don't disagree with the rest, I have to point out that *many* teens don't have those things. Some are free spirits like the Harts' friends, or in the homeschooling community and will ultimately fill the dire skilled-trade gap (although not having a GED is a problem, I don't know if these poor dead children would have ended up that way or not). Some are public school dropouts who can't afford any of those things and may or may not end up with a skilled trade or starting their own business. Many, many (I personally know many) are very poor African-Americans, just like these children started out. They don't have phones or email accounts and certainly can't afford insurance or drivers' lessons and may or may not graduate from high school. It's very, very common. Most will eventually get phones as adults ... and that's about it.

Just context.

It might surprise, A GED is not really necessary, at least not for a student with math and language literacy, to enter higher education or trade programs.
Community Colleges have entry exams that will certify a student "able to benefit" from courses, and after a trial with good grades they can move into a degree seeking program.
Homeschool students can benefit from dual enrollment - college coursework that is also applied to high school level credits, and move on to more advanced coursework that make them desireable transfer students. Even students who need remediation can advance without one in the community college setting, and there are many vocational paths. Garanteed transfer agreements with four year colleges are usually available to the high-performing student.

I have the feeling extensive remediation would have been necessary for all the kids, because of their educational neglect. I do not believe Jen was a slave to their education, or did much more than toss some books at them, but maybe there was some limited effort at teaching basics.

There's a big difference between raising children and raising adults, and I feel like Jen and Sarah really only ever signed up for the former.

[emoji1476]

Only thing I would add in there somewhere is the correlation between certain ethnic groups' history of oppression and their use of discipline because it is an influential factor in educational and economic opportunities.

MOO*

<modsnip>

ETA: stats by Pew Research:

Spanking is the least commonly used method of discipline &#8211; just 4% of parents say they do it often. But one-in-six parents say they spank their children at least some of the time as a way to discipline them. Black parents (32%) are more likely than white (14%) and Hispanic (19%) parents to say they sometimes spank their children and are far less likely to say they never resort to spanking (31% vs. 55% and 58%, respectively).

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2015/12/17/parenting-in-america/

I really don't understand this: Why would the children "never be able to live normal independent lives as adults -they would never be able to marry or have children of their own"? There are many, many children who suffer abuse and, especially after being adopted into loving families, who are able to do those things. Some do not, some do. From what I can see, the children all looked pretty smart -they could read, seemed absolutely adorable. None of these children would be able to do any of those things???????

It sort of seems like JH projecting herself onto the children: Can't "have" children; unable to live a normal life! I'd bet some of those children were more "normal" than her.

Because no child who grows up in an abusive home like that, with no education, no social activities, no nothing else, is ever going to be able to function as an adult. She knew she was turning those kids into basketcasses, with her abuse.

This conversation started because I had noticed that JH's discipline regime, as told to officers, was to spank the child if they continued to cry after being sent to their room. I had pointed out that children who are in trouble often cry and can take awhile to calm down depending on the consequence so spanking them because they refused to calm down is very detrimental to their mental well-being IMO. I have heard of this happening in several homes and it always astonishes and saddens me.

Where did you read that? I missed that horrible part.

This is a fantastic timeline, but may I make one request? Would you please change the Feb 2009 entry to say Devonte&#8217;s siblings names as well?

I think because it&#8217;s obvious J & S favored him that I just feel like all the kids should be recognized by name rather than just &#8220;Devonte&#8217;s siblings&#8221;.

Thank you!!

OK, done. Thanks.

March 2004: Earliest known public record that shows Jennifer Hart and Sarah Gengler, both from South Dakota, residing in Alexandria, Minnesota.

Summer 2004: The Harts take in a foster child named Lee. Then they later abandoned her the next Spring after they dropped her off at a therapist&#8217;s appointment, never to see her again.

September 2006: Jennifer and Sarah Hart adopt siblings Markis, Abigail and Hannah.

September 2008: According to a police report from Alexandria, Minnesota, Hannah, then 6, tells authorities that one of her mothers bruised her with a belt. Asked about the beating, Jennifer and Sarah Hart tell a police investigator and social worker the girl had fallen down the stairs.

February 2009: Jennifer and Sarah adopt Devonte, Jeremiah and Sierra &#8212; bringing their number of children to six. An article from Paper Trail, a New Zealand-based news outlet, describes his adoption. The article said by age 4, the boy had been abused, neglected, shot at and had endured other traumas.

September 1, 2009: Jennifer and Sarah Hart are married in Connecticut, Jennifer is listed as the groom and Sarah is listed as the bride.

November 2010: Police in Alexandria, Minnesota interview Abigail Hart, 6 at the time, after a teacher discovers bruises stretching from her sternum to her navel. The girl says Jennifer Hart hit her with a closed fist, put her head in a cold bath, then hit her again, court records show. She was then grounded, the girl told police, which meant she had to stay in bed and miss lunch.

April 2011: Sarah Hart pleads guilty to abusing Abigail Hart and is sentenced to a year of probation for misdemeanor domestic assault, court records show. Sarah told police she was the one who hit Abigail, even though the girl told authorities her mother Jennifer had done it. The next day, all six of the Hart children are taken out of public schools. They never attend public school again.

October 2011: The family lives in Alexandria, Minnesota, for a time and takes part in local activism. Hart family members including Devonte and Jennifer Hart participate in an Occupy Minneapolis demonstration.

2012: According to friends in Oregon, Sarah Hart travels to Portland to look for work. Jennifer Hart and their children later join her. Hannah loses front teeth after allegedly falling in house acceding to Jen's FB post.

December 2012: Jennifer and kids travel to Oregon, getting a ride with the Lees after rollover accident in Missoula According to Statesman Journal article.

April 2013- Alexandria, MN house sold. The family moves to West Linn, family friend Alexandra Argyropoulos tells Oregon child welfare officials that the Hart parents have been depriving their kids of food as punishment, she says. The Harts break off contact with her when they learn of it. Argyropoulos says she was told the Hart children had been interviewed by Oregon officials; it was apparent that each child had been coached by their mothers on what to say; and nothing more could be done by the Oregon Department of Human Services.

2013: Portland Portland musician of the band Nahko and Medicine for the People Ribner began offering music classes to the Hart children. The Hart children also started volunteering at the Good Neighbor Family Pantry

November 2014: Family members participate in a Portland protest of a Missouri grand jury declining to indict a Ferguson police officer in the fatal shooting of Michael Brown. Devonte and a Portland police officer hug, and the photo of the moment goes viral.

March 2016: Family members join U.S. Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont onstage during a presidential campaign rally in Vancouver.

May 2017: Jennifer and Sarah Hart buy a two-story, 3-bedroom home on 2 acres of land in the Woodland area of Clark County, Washington, property records show.

March 23, 2018: The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services opens a Child Protective Services investigation in which the Hart children are "identified as potential victims of alleged abuse or neglect."

March 23, 2018: The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services attempts without success to make contact with the Hart family.

March 24, 2018 - 3:00 AM: Sarah Hart sends a middle-of-the-night text message to friend Cheryl Hart, only hours after child protective services first visited the family's home, saying she was so sick she might have to go to the hospital. The friend never made contact again.

March 24, 2018 - 8:14 AM: The family is in or around Newport, Oregon, after a stop in Naselle, Washington. It's believed they continue south on Route 101 until they reach State Route 1 in Leggett, California.

March 24, 2018 - 8:00 PM The Harts travel south on State Route 1 until they reach the Fort Bragg area in Mendocino.

March 25, 2018 - 8:05 a.m. Jennifer Hart appears alone on surveillance video at a Safeway in Fort Bragg, buying bananas and several other items.

March 26, 2018: The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services again unsuccessfully attempts to make contact with the Hart family. They call 911 and ask the Sheriff's Department to do a welfare check on the family.

March 26, 2018 - 1:15 PM: Cheryl Hart calls 911 and asked the Sheriff's Department to do a welfare check on Sarah Hart. "Nobody has been able to get ahold of her, talk to her or seen her since," she told the dispatcher.

March 26, 2018: A passer-by along Highway 1 in Westport, California, calls 911 after looking down a 100-foot embankment and seeing an SUV upside down on the rocky shoreline. Five people are found dead: three children outside the SUV and two women inside.

March 27, 2018: The Washington State Department of Social and Health Services makes a third unsuccessful attempt to contact the Hart family.

March 28, 2018: The women are identified by the Mendocino County's Sheriff's Office as Jennifer and Sarah Hart and their children as Markis, Jeremiah and Abigail. Three of their other children: Devonte, Hannah and Sierra, remain missing. Sheriff Tom Allman said a search is ongoing for the remaining three children.

March 29, 2018: Police continue to search for the three missing children, including Devonte, and to investigate why the SUV plunged off the California cliff. Authorities don't know if the kids were also in the car, but are basing their search on the assumption that they were thrown from the car into the cliffs or the surf.

March 31, 2018: Officials reveal the speedometer on the Harts' wrecked SUV was "pinned" at 90 mph.

April 2, 2018: Officials say the crash may have been intentional, saying data taken from the family's SUV shows the vehicle came to a complete stop at the Route 1 pullout before speeding off the cliff. The search for the missing children becomes a "recovery effort."

April 2, 2018: "I'm to the point where I'm no longer calling this an accident, I'm calling it a crime," Mendocino County Sheriff Tom Allman tells HLN's Ashleigh Banfield.

April 7, 2018: An unidentified body, believed to be that of a black female, is found in the ocean near the site of the crash. Officials said an identification could take weeks.

Quoted from kizzykat in previous thread regarding the Dr. Oz show with the neighbors:

What the actual &!?@ ???

I've been trying to give these folks the benefit of the doubt, saying it must have been hard for them, they weren't prepared to handle a situation like this...

but if you legit think a Turpin type situation is going on with the kids next door and you still don't call authorities, I don't even know how to begin to make an excuse for that. That was infuriating to hear.

I understand your anger, but here’s the excuse. At the point the Turpin story broke, the DeKalbs had not had contact with Devonte. They had contact with Hannah and had been conned (gaslighted) by Jen and Sarah about what was going on. Personally, I think they should have reported the incident, but by the time Dana’s father did months later, it was too late. And I suspect Jen and Sarah could have persuaded LE that Hannah was disturbed. The kids were no doubt coached again.

The DeKalbs did not know what was going on inside the house. So when the Turpin story broke in January, I can see the DeKalbs drawing a parallel with the kids not being seen outside, but by then that’s all they could report. LE and CPS aren’t going to investigate something like that IMO.

I think we can all learn something from this without being angry at the DeKalbs. I doubt they’ll ever get over this. If I were Dana, I’d need serious counseling, partly to get past my fury at my husband for talking me out of reporting (if he did). We all need to adopt the motto “see something, say something” no matter what.
JMO

OK, done. Thanks.

Summer 2004: The Harts take in a foster child named Lee. Then they later abandoned her the next Spring after they dropped her off at a therapist&#8217;s appointment, never to see her again.

February 2009: Jennifer and Sarah adopt Devonte, Jeremiah and Sierra &#8212; bringing their number of children to six. An article from Paper Trail, a New Zealand-based news outlet, describes his adoption. The article said by age 4, the boy had been abused, neglected, shot at and had endured other traumas.

And don&#8217;t forget that the unidentifed body was identified as Ciera (Sierra) on April 17.

Thanks again for keeping track of all this, Kaboom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member