CA CA - Hannah, 16, Devonte, 15, & Sierra Hart, 12, Mendocino County, 26 March 2018 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My driver instructor turned that "ding ding ding" function off of the driving lessons car because, even though, the driver always had the seat belt on, the thing would go off and it was very distracting for a person learning how to drive. Now, I don't know if it would be possible to do in every vehicle so, I'm not sure if was even possible to do the same thing on their vehicle.

The ding-ding-ding seatbelt alert is not universally a feature that goes on immediately upon ignition in all makes or models. My 2007 Mini Cooper doesn't ding until the car's been driven about a quarter mile with an unbelted driver or passenger. (I think the idea behind it is to have the alert function as a gentle reminder if the car's in motion, not a thing that nags you every time you start the car.) I don't know how the 2003 Yukon's alerts work in this regard.

Well, maybe.... I was at a conference earlier this week where a newspaper photographer was present, as well as one from the sponsor. At the beginning of the day, they announced that if you didn't want your photo taken you had to go tell the photographer yourself, which I did. Otherwise, you were considered fair game.

Thanks for the update. Maybe they're a bit more lax with crowd shots? (Sometimes in sponsored events it's in the fine print, too, when you sign up to attend.)

Here's a link to the legal overview of when releases should be used (if interested): http://corporate.findlaw.com/litiga...ion-of-photographs-is-a-release-required.html

Very short version, a person out taking photos in public can post said photos even with random people who have not given permission as long as it is not used for monetary gain or commercial purposes.

So, if someone catches a shot of you or your kids in public, thinks it’s great and wants to share it to social media, blog, whatever that’s allowed. Unless it’s to promote their own business, sold for monetary gain or defaming you in some way (one example I saw was you see your pic on America’s Most Wanted and you are not wanted for any crime) it is completely legal. IIRC either the laws or morality of this has changed in the last couple decades but I know that if my kids are in a class or group we’ve already accepted a media release and if there are pics taken of my husband’s students we have their parents sign a release. http://carterlawaz.com/2015/01/photos-the-internet-and-the-law-faqs/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The ding-ding-ding seatbelt alert is not universally a feature that goes on immediately upon ignition in all makes or models. My 2007 Mini Cooper doesn't ding until the car's been driven about a quarter mile with an unbelted driver or passenger. (I think the idea behind it is to have the alert function as a gentle reminder if the car's in motion, not a thing that nags you every time you start the car.) I don't know how the 2003 Yukon's alerts work in this regard.

Wondering... what if Jen (and possibly Sarah), both clicked their seatbelts in to prevent the "dinging" sound, but didn't actually strap themselves in? I.e. They were sitting on top of their latched seatbelts when the car went over. That may also explain some of the initial confusion about whether the adults had seat belts on or not.

My 2000 GMC does like 3 dings one time and has a dash light if a front seat passenger is not buckled, my 2005 Tahoe doesn’t ding but has the light on also only for the front passengers. TBH I can’t remember if at one point it did and just doesn’t anymore. I actually paid attention to it last night because I always buckle, but it’s a struggle to get my husband to and he was driving.

Maybe I missed it, is there a link that talks about how Devonte became inspired by Ken, and how Jen kept him apart, or Devonte away? And what was Jen scared of, piece what together?

This is all from Ken's account of the events. In the video posted earlier today that came from Ken's Free hugs project Facebook account he talks about how he reached out to Devonte to show support and was surprised when Devonte told him he knew about him and was inspired by all that Ken was doing. Ken says in the video that he tried to reach out and schedule a meeting to see Devonte but Jen sent an email saying that she wanted Devonte to just be a kid etc and that they maintain a private life. So he let it be. And I commented that Jen was intimidated because Ken was offering to be a positive male figure in Devonte's life and he would have learned about the abuse had he had more time to bond and talk with Devonte. And I don't think Jen would have been able to convince him with lies that all was well. And he would have put pieces together and I believe he would have taken action.

IMO

Very short version, a person out taking photos in public can post said photos even with random people who have not given permission as long as it is not used for monetary gain or commercial purposes.

So, if someone catches a shot of you or your kids in public, thinks it’s great and wants to share it to social media, blog, whatever that’s allowed. Unless it’s to promote their own business, sold for monetary gain or defaming you in some way (one example I saw was you see your pic on America’s Most Wanted and you are not wanted for any crime) it is completely legal. IIRC either the laws or morality of this has changed in the last couple decades but I know that if my kids are in a class or group we’ve already accepted a media release and if there are pics taken of my husband’s students we have their parents sign a release. http://carterlawaz.com/2015/01/photos-the-internet-and-the-law-faqs/

Yes, this is a well-clarified explanation--thanks! (Mine was for commercial purposes, but the nonprofit children's hospital our daughter attended for an extended childhood illness included such releases in their paperwork--in case pictures of the children attending seasonal events appeared in their quarterly magazine.)

Where is this alleged connection between Devomte and Ken come from, reminder link?

Check post #265 on this thread. I have a hard time trying to link to videos. It's from Facebook. Hope that doesn't violate anything here

IMO

It can be both. It could be "The scary man wants to hurt you now go hug the scary man because I said you have to."
He was probably confused and scared of both of them.

I get a different sense. I mean I really don't know. But I feel like he was a child who learned how to be super emotional and "connected" to adults from the festivals they went to and the "training" of the parents.

So much is seen and heard from and about these people along with the repeated abuse accusations and the ultimate way they died including timing has convinced me one or both are narcissists. I get a personality disorder vibe.

And children of narcissist parents learn how to perform and mirror what the parents are expressing. Or expecting them to express.

These kids know they are supposed to feel extreme, emotional love and engage in super intimate and intense "moments" with fully grown adults.

I mean have you seen the events they go to? The display of emotion we saw between Devonte and that performer occur often among the adults.

I feel he was performing. Because it's what he's learned to do in order to gain his parents approval and favor. And it worked for a long time.

That's my feeling.

Wow! They printed his name. Do newspapers have to get permission from parents before they print the name of a kid?

Oh it's clear they very much wanted their kid to be in the paper. And themselves. They gave an interview about his entire background.

I think you misinterpret what I meant.
I was not talking about white mothers´ love for their black - or whatever color - children in general. Not at all

I was talking about CPS and police not properly looking into matters when there were grounds for serious concerns for the children.

Exactly. There are a lot of children of color who are in the system and need homes. There is nothing wrong with parents who adopt children of another ethnic background. For the most part it shows they just care about love, not color.

But there is an issue with white parents given vastly vastly more leeway when it comes to child abuse allegations than people of other ethnicities. And if the kids are people of color, there's likely a tendency to believe the parents over the kids who MAY be more likely to be seen as inherently immoral or whatever.

This couple was given a lot of leeway others may not have under the same circumstances.

I've been trying to work out what happened in that house on the Friday. Why didn't Devonte manage to get out of the window when CPS were there? Why couldn't he have the other kids distract Jen so that he could at least get attention through a window? Did he tell Jen that CPS were coming? Why would he go on this trip?

I did figure out that Jen would go off the cliff without all the kids in the car. What I can't figure out is how the three missing would not be in the car.

Imagine the Friday and then the weekend for Devonte. He's forged a relationship with the Dekalbs. He's reached a turning point and he's ready to tell the truth about the abuse. He's ready to ask for help to the point of having CPS come out. He might be talking to Hannah and saying that if they both tell the truth then they have more chance of being believed. These two are definitely tied together by them both going to neighbors in the past year. Obviously poor Hannah had to be marched around the next day with all the other kids and say she'd lied, which might make it hard for her to tell the truth now even if Devonte is reassuring her that this time he's got her back and they're going to stand together and fight for them, the kids.

Hypothetically..if Jen feels that the family is cracked irreversibly (like an egg) and she can't put it back together, then I believe she'll go over the edge with the ones who are in the car. It's, I believe at least in part, an act of preservation of the family unit and the only way she can now see to ensure that this family stays together, forever. If Devonte has called CPS and she knows, if he and one or both of the missing girls have run away, they are no longer part of the Tribe, and she will (I believe) go over the cliff without them.

I agree with your overall sentiment but I don't at all believe Jen went into this alone. I see nothing to suggest that Sarah wasn't just as disturbed. She just wasn't driving.

Speculating on how the "free hugs" sign came about:

I have a feeling that the "free hugs" sign originated in Devonte's habit of being inappropriately affectionate. I wonder if they maybe started doing it as a way of alerting people that their kid was prone to "giving hugs" to people they encountered out in public.

It might have been a way they were trying to channel his tendency into something a bit more controlled. They might have thought that it was cute or endearing for people to see a little kid with this sign around his neck when he came running over to strangers, rather than having to explain why he was doing it (due to history of abuse). They also might have tried to use it to help him learn to manage the behavior - turning it into a positive thing - telling him you can give "free hugs" - rather than just having him run up to anyone he encountered and grabbing on to them.

As he got older, the use of the "free hugs" sign morphed into something where he may have felt pressured to act in ways that maybe he was beginning to grow out of. The parents then also managed to find a way to channel this "free hugs" thing into their political activism and their need to maintain a certain persona on social media. So it took on a life of its own, and maybe Devonte was struggling with that, which would be normal for a teenager to start doing.

Since we don't know if they ever got any therapy for these kids, its hard to know if they were ever given any guidance about how to manage inappropriate affection due to attachment problems. I can almost imagine caregivers, who have no guidance from therapists, trying to deal with this type of behavior and doing something like a "free hugs" sign on the child's neck in public.

just some speculation....

Hmm. That's an interesting and intelligent theory I think.

its actually a movement. a friend of mine who used to attend b'hai down in Temecula used to do this w her brother as an adult!

Speculating on how the "free hugs" sign came about:

I have a feeling that the "free hugs" sign originated in Devonte's habit of being inappropriately affectionate. I wonder if they maybe started doing it as a way of alerting people that their kid was prone to "giving hugs" to people they encountered out in public.

It might have been a way they were trying to channel his tendency into something a bit more controlled. They might have thought that it was cute or endearing for people to see a little kid with this sign around his neck when he came running over to strangers, rather than having to explain why he was doing it (due to history of abuse). They also might have tried to use it to help him learn to manage the behavior - turning it into a positive thing - telling him you can give "free hugs" - rather than just having him run up to anyone he encountered and grabbing on to them.

As he got older, the use of the "free hugs" sign morphed into something where he may have felt pressured to act in ways that maybe he was beginning to grow out of. The parents then also managed to find a way to channel this "free hugs" thing into their political activism and their need to maintain a certain persona on social media. So it took on a life of its own, and maybe Devonte was struggling with that, which would be normal for a teenager to start doing.

Since we don't know if they ever got any therapy for these kids, its hard to know if they were ever given any guidance about how to manage inappropriate affection due to attachment problems. I can almost imagine caregivers, who have no guidance from therapists, trying to deal with this type of behavior and doing something like a "free hugs" sign on the child's neck in public.

just some speculation....

Ok, thanks for posting this, Sleuth. I'm getting where you are going in your thoughts in previous post.

So, this guy is Ken, I assume... Of the free hugs project... It is really a touching message from him. And it sounds like after that national image of Devonte and the officer was published, Ken wanted to reach out to Devonte, maybe even be a mentor figure. And Jen put the kabosh on it. I wonder why... I mean citing that kids needed to be kids is valid after a wave of attention after that image went viral, but I guess I wonder why she wouldn't want Devonte to meet someone who inspired him...

Anyway, sleuth, I see why you are doubtful and suspicious... Thinking if there was abuse, Devonte would spill the beans?

honestly there is a new series on and I don't know the name of it because I always catch bits and pieces after falling asleep on the couch, in it there is a white mother who is a teacher or principal, played by a popular skinny blonde actress whose name I cant remember (there is also a young adult gay son who is a white dude w dreads on it) and she has a biracial daughter or adopted black daughter and her statements to a reporter after some school violence really pissed off her daughter and they are in a "you have no idea what its like to be a black woman" place. gawd what is that show!!! anyone think it sounds familiar?

its a touchy subject. there are more foster kids that need adoption than there are homes for. but at the same time preservation of culture is a thing.

There is a strong movement in that direction now so it may be something to look into as your kids will be facing it a lot

that movie was so scary. it took me awhile to realize they put the grandparents brains into the housekeeper and groundskeeper to keep them around. sick!!!

Like the kidnapped guy in the film GET OUT

look up Logan king get out and you'll see [emoji52]

IMO

that movie was so scary. it took me awhile to realize they put the grandparents brains into the housekeeper and groundskeeper to keep them around. sick!!!

That movie was absolutely twisted.

there is not a strong movement to prevent it, but there is a lot of talk about the subject in general.

There is no strong movement in that direction. As long as the amount of black children in the foster pipeline, greatly outnumbers the amount of potential black adoptive parents willing to adopt them, there will not be a strong movement to prevent whites from adopting them. NOR SHOULD THERE BE.

The Los Angeles school district in CA supplied some of the elementary school kids with Apple iPads because many assignments and programs are used for learning. When my boys went to college many of the required books and assignments were all done online. More info online than in Libraries. Downloading available school books were much cheaper than bookstore. Grades were given online. Classes were applied for online, Applying for financial aid is online. Parents who are not allowing there children to learn computers is ridiculous everything is practically done online these days. Applying for jobs, using PC in the workplace, banking, library access, taxes.

Children need computer skills!

Not to mention, a lot of homeschooling curricula are online!

honestly there is a new series on and I don't know the name of it because I always catch bits and pieces after falling asleep on the couch, in it there is a white mother who is a teacher or principal, played by a popular skinny blonde actress whose name I cant remember (there is also a young adult gay son who is a white dude w dreads on it) and she has a biracial daughter or adopted black daughter and her statements to a reporter after some school violence really pissed off her daughter and they are in a "you have no idea what its like to be a black woman" place. gawd what is that show!!! anyone think it sounds familiar?

its a touchy subject. there are more foster kids that need adoption than there are homes for. but at the same time preservation of culture is a thing.

I have no idea what show you're talking about but I'm fascinated by your description! :)

someone didn't want trusted outsiders.

I read some of the comments. Nwadike wanted to meet with Devonte but he says that his travel schedule interfered with Devonte’s school schedule.

Ok. No way to adjust the homeschool schedule. Um hm.I believe that.

I wonder what the real reason was?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member