CA - Hasanni Campbell, 5, Oakland, 10 Aug 2009 - #5

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ouch, mischiefmanager, that's a good question! Big box. But maybe it was broken down and put in the recycling? A month ago.... I'm going to see if I can find out what the trash pickup day is for that area. brb!

Thanks - I tried looking the schedule for pick-up earlier..I think it's Allied waste pickup that services Fremont and the area Ross lives. Not sure. Couldn't find a schedule for pick-up anywhere.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/ci_13245654?source=most_viewed

Hasanni's 1-year-old sister was taken into protective custody after the boy's disappearance. Campbell went to court today and learned that her parental rights are being severed and that the girl will be put up for adoption. "I basically will never see her again," Campbell said tonight while awaiting Ross' release from jail

(snipped for space)

BBM

I am a little sad that Hasanni's little sister might possibly never know about him. But I also think it might be better for her to get a fresh start.

Still, though, man... if these folks are not guilty (which, again, I think they are), this is a huge thing to do to the family. Either way, this poor little kid has been through a lot of homes in her young life, and needs to be with a "forever family" and not bounced around any further.

Peace with you, little Aaliyah. I hope Hasanni will be your guardian angel, even if you don't remember him.

So the possibility of the little girl being returned to JC and Ross has been removed. I wonder if CPS talked to LE. Hmmmm! :waitasec:

I think the burden of proof is lower for CPS than LE, so they decided to take what they could get - besides, the "I left them alone while I went to the bank" story was likely enough for them.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/09/01/BAVA19H138.DTL

Both Campbell and Ross were run through state and FBI databases for any criminal record or instances of child abuse. They came back clean.

So this answers one of my questions. The foster care situation was offical, and not an informal arrangement among family.

BBM. Bu-bu-but we did searches and found all sorts of weird stuff!! State (California) databases ok maybe didn't have anything on LR, or maybe the FBI (dunno, I guess it has to be a federal offense to be on their database?). But even a few hours of us Googling came up with stuff I would have though CPS would be wary of - the neglect of an animal citation for one. What the???

I think the burden of proof is lower for CPS than LE, so they decided to take what they could get - besides, the "I left them alone while I went to the bank" story was likely enough for them.

That admission threw me for a loop. Two such young children left alone! Yikes!

I wonder if CPS will have anything to say about the new baby JC is carrying.

That admission threw me for a loop. Two such young children left alone! Yikes!

I wonder if CPS will have anything to say about the new baby JC is carrying.

The burden of proof is likely higher, but I'd bet anyone who has had a foster child removed from their care is on a watch list somewhere.

I have to say - other than Shuz being the place Ross called 911 - I don't think it has anything to do with Hasanni. He was never there that day and I find Ross' stupid story insulting as I'm sure LE does along with most everyone else. I can't believe the time and resources he is wasting by his preposterous story of abduction. :rant: mho

Why did he go into Shuz to call the police? I thought all along he called from his cellphone...:waitasec:I would of been on my cellphone walking LOOKING for Hasanni SCREAMING his name while on the phone to LE....

Why did he go into Shuz to call the police? I thought all along he called from his cellphone...:waitasec:I would of been on my cellphone walking LOOKING for Hasanni SCREAMING his name while on the phone to LE....

merimer - your panic would have been real! Ross would have had to fake the panic, trump it up cause Hasanni was NOT there. mho

Sorry merimer - I forgot to answer your question. All we know is what Ross told us...I think he called form his car or the back parking space...can't remember.

Merimer, I think LR was in the back alley/parking area behind Shuz when calling 911 (on that cell phone that he didn't use to call JC because he was in a hurry, so he took Aaliyah around the front blah blah blah...). I think (as posted back up a little) poor little Hasanni was nowhere near Shuz on that day. :(

Merimer, I think LR was in the back alley/parking area behind Shuz when calling 911 (on that cell phone that he didn't use to call JC because he was in a hurry, so he took Aaliyah around the front blah blah blah...). I think (as posted back up a little) poor little Hasanni was nowhere near Shuz on that day. :(

Yes, IIRC, he went to his car to get his phone, and called from the alley.

Yes, I lean more towards foul play... but an accident due to negligence is also a pretty steep thing with a foster child, so they might have panicked.

But I really don't know that JC is all there enough to pull off an act like this. She can't even pretend to be sad very well - how could she cover up the enormous amount of nerves and panic she would have felt?

I thought at first that maybe she pulled the "I'm pregnant" bit and spent the day in the washroom or something, but I really think we would have heard from her co-worker by now if that was the case.

But, really, why haven't we heard more from the co-worker(s), anyway?

See, I think that we've seen two sides to JC:

1. Over the top, hammy, "hysterical" side with unintelligible high-pitched wailing, big inhalations, and little variation. (Granted, tears sometimes, but they seem more welling up and less streaming to me.)

2. Cool, calm, intelligible, reasonable (though still getting details of their story wrong like that LR asked "Where's Hasanni?")

Of course, I hate to potentially judge a possibly grieving parent, period. But, I'm not sure she's passed the "not a sociopath" test yet. When I remove thoughts about her pregnancy, and how she "must" care, I'm left with what feels like an act and what feels like total calm. Neither feel right to me.

This is OT, but LR strikes me as controlled, moralistic and proud. He doesn't strike me as the type of lout who boozes too much or the like. Somehow I see as looking down on weakness of any kind and using a moral high-horse to gain power over people. I have wondered, since he mentioned that there was something JC did "a year ago" that made him angry and hurt enough to send that text, and that it wasn't infidelity, if it may have been an abortion. Some men would never let a woman forget it. Just wondering, since she stated that it was his idea to take Hasanni and Aalyiah in, if possibly this pregnancy was not responsible planning but rather perhaps not her first choice?

I feel awful suggesting it, and they could just be explaining away the text, but it's occurred to me. Being male, I can't call up any female intuition, but something feels "missing" in her to me. I keep reminding myself that character is something we shouldn't presume but rather that should be demonstrated.

1. Over the top, hammy, "hysterical" side with unintelligible high-pitched wailing, big inhalations, and little variation. (Granted, tears sometimes, but they seem more welling up and less streaming to me.)

2. Cool, calm, intelligible, reasonable (though still getting details of their story wrong like that LR asked "Where's Hasanni?")

Of course, I hate to potentially judge a possibly grieving parent, period. But, I'm not sure she's passed the "not a sociopath" test yet. When I remove thoughts about her pregnancy, and how she "must" care, I'm left with what feels like an act and what feels like total calm. Neither feel right to me.

This is OT, but LR strikes me as controlled, moralistic and proud. He doesn't strike me as the type of lout who boozes too much or the like. Somehow I see as looking down on weakness of any kind and using a moral high-horse to gain power over people. I have wondered, since he mentioned that there was something JC did "a year ago" that made him angry and hurt enough to send that text, and that it wasn't infidelity, if it may have been an abortion. Some men would never let a woman forget it. Just wondering, since she stated that it was his idea to take Hasanni and Aalyiah in, if possibly this pregnancy was not responsible planning but rather perhaps not her first choice?

I feel awful suggesting it, and they could just be explaining away the text, but it's occurred to me. Being male, I can't call up any female intuition, but something feels "missing" in her to me. I keep reminding myself that character is something we shouldn't presume but rather that should be demonstrated.

I get what you're saying. To me, she's like the worst image of a jaded, self-absorbed teenager, only in adult form. The type that complains about missing an event with her friends to her mother at her maternal grandma's funeral.

BBM. Bu-bu-but we did searches and found all sorts of weird stuff!! State (California) databases ok maybe didn't have anything on LR, or maybe the FBI (dunno, I guess it has to be a federal offense to be on their database?). But even a few hours of us Googling came up with stuff I would have though CPS would be wary of - the neglect of an animal citation for one. What the???

Most of his more worrisome things were NOT in California.

Also, FBI database may only have real biggies in it. Keep in mind a restraining order for DV is not the same as an arrest, too. It still displays a pattern of abusive behavior but it may not be a technical findable "red flag".

I'm guessing that CPS, overloaded as it is, runs a basic few checks and moves on with the process, instead of really putting together a character sketch.

"They're both very emotional. It's been traumatic for her as she'd never been in custody before. She felt she'd been treated terribly, that they'd been duplicitous toward her after she'd been cooperating with the investigation," Burris said.

"Mr. Ross is quite emotional as well, though he seemed to be more worried about her," Burris said

Okay, I may be taking every word too seriously, but it seems odd that he goes from "They're both very emotional" to "She'd never been in custody before." (why not say, "they"?)

Is this a necessary omission because LWR has been in custody in the past?

I have to agree about JC. I have a 17 year old who's has high functioning Autism. he doesn't show emotions, has problems getting out what he wants to say (in the right manner), very smart , giving,BUT a real lack of common sense which keeps putting him in situations, her eyes have a hollow look if you know what I mean almost like you can see through them plus he has his manic sides along without a care in the world attitude...That is why it is possible he did it and she knows nothing. LR probably never would have told her for fear of her cracking. ..Maybe she didn't take the LDT for fear of other questions she might be asked about LR.???

I have to agree about JC. I have a 17 year old who's has high functioning Autism. he doesn't show emotions, has problems getting out what he wants to say (in the right manner), very smart , giving,BUT a real lack of common sense which keeps putting him in situations, her eyes have a hollow look if you know what I mean almost like you can see through them plus he has his manic sides along without a care in the world attitude...That is why it is possible he did it and she knows nothing. LR probably never would have told her for fear of her cracking. ..

My take on JC is someone who has spent their life in the role of a victim and ends up being an abuser via enabling. What I see happening here is JC does all the clean up in the relationship, makes it appear to the outside world that all is okay.

Louis is the overt abuser, verbally and physically (imo), and he injures Hasanni. JC knows he needs to see a doctor but Louis is telling her that he will go to jail, that the kids will be taken out of their home, that she will never get to raise the baby she is carrying. So she doesn't do what she knows needs to be done.

And now finds herself tied into the entire thing because now the verbage has changed to her being equally responsible. That she did not get seek help for Hasanni. She is in really deep now.

So in my opinion she is a victim of Louis, but an abuser of the children in her life. She put Hasanni's needs secondary to Louis, to her own desire, and to her unborn child.

JC made a comment right after her release ( i am paraphrasing) something about why would I want to talk them (LE) after all this ??? did anyone catch that ???

If that was me I think I would have said "yes, I'm going to go right back in and continue trying to help find my baby, I only came out for this moment to ask the media and the public to please keep searching for my baby....I just think I'd do whatever I had to do to find my child, I'm not much of an *advertiser censored* kisser but ... "line dem stanky butts up" if thats what it takes. my lips are ready..

Maybe I'm wrong but I thought JC acted awfully mad as did LR ....
****to the Ross/Cambell Family ... the police are all you have right now. if you did not harm Hasanni please don't act this way. as much as you seem to not like them, Let THE POLICE use their resources to bring him home. Please Don't hate the Police more than you Love Hasanni, Aaliyah or your New Baby,

from article posted somewhere above.....

"Hasanni's 1-year-old sister was taken into protective custody after the boy's disappearance. Campbell went to court today and learned that her parental rights are being severed and that the girl will be put up for adoption. "I basically will never see her again," Campbell said tonight while awaiting Ross' release from jail."

WHAT PARENTAL RIGHTS???? Sheesh! These people just don't comprehend that they are NOT the parents of these children, do they?!?!

I wanted to share my wife's account of the vigil Monday. She walked by beforehand while running errands with the boys, and said she saw Burris talking to reporters while PC was eating food from a bag. She said that some of the new memorial/vigil materials neighbors left early that morning had migrated in front of the church by the time she had walked by.

When she came back later, people were filtering in, and as the vigil time approached, people moved inside. The minister called things to order, and he acknowledges the complicated situation. He said a prayer and began speaking about Hasanni, the community, the search, the heavy-heartedness of it, and the comfort churches can bring those hurt or lost. He played the organ and a soloist led everyone in singing Amazing Grace. Everyone was prompted to get up and form a circle, passed out small candles, and lit them. There was a circle at the front, including JC, PC, TS, family, and others. The rest of the attendees (about 35 or so) stood in the pews for the prayer time. The press took pictures and video at the back of the church. Burris himself left before the service, she believes, after grandstanding with the press beforehand. She said JC signed the message board, and a few others did.

Prayers began, with deacons and elders from the church, the pastor and attendees calling out prayers. She said some had the undertone of JC and LR's perspective, and some had the undertone of the perspective of parental involvement. Some covered both ends (one she mentioned by a church deacon or elder said something like, "It can appear our prayers have gone unanswered...but we pray you bring him back to the community, able to be fully restored and rejoin us, or, if he's in your bosom right now...").

Basically, she said a lot was in the nuance. Some prayers that the police would be ethical, some prayers that people would not let their suspicions or rumors get in the way of searching and finding him, some prayers that if there are those who know where he is they would find conscience, some prayers to receive his soul, some prayers that covered all bases. She said it was easy to differentiate those with one agenda or another, but she was raised Catholic. She wondered if some of the more religious language would be lost on non-religious people (like "receiving his soul," "in your bosom," "reaching for stones" (with the implication of casting them), etc. (The area does have a lot of New Age or nonreligious people along with those who have some faith.) The last prayer was given by JC, and my wife couldn't totally make out what she was saying. She said it was on par with the same high pitched warbling, for about 20 seconds, and she abruptly stopped the prayer (my wife felt without really completing but she can't be sure since it was hard to understand).

She said then the pastor closed the prayer, and said there were announcements. Courtney Burris and t-shirt lady went to the front, and she said CB seemed like the orchestrater. She thanked everyone for coming, mentioning how the support was doubling each week at the vigils. My wife said they had the water bottle in the foyer to collect donations but it looked practically empty. CB mentioned the money all will go to a new bank account they're setting up, and reassured everyone all the money will go straight to the search so "there's no need for concern." (My wife said there were a lot of statements like that in general, acknowledging negative feelings without outright saying them or confronting them.)

T-shirt lady then mentioned the search will continue, and that Saturday is the next slated search. She said, "We'll be searching at..." and seemed lost, looking to CB for the next location and making some acknowledgement that she wasn't sure where it would be. CB said they will be searching at Lake Elizabeth, encouraging people to sign up for the volunteer list in the back with their e-mail and phone number to be contacted for the next event(s). She said CB is a very beautiful, put-together, articulate woman who seemed like she was the new coordinator of the small volunteer effort (which so far has seemed to be family, t-shirt group and a few friends perhaps). She said CB had a thinly veiled agenda and was conveying it in practically every sentence.

She said when CB finished, everyone sang "It Is Well With My Soul," after a church official explained the background of the song (written by a man who lost his family at sea apparently). Then she said the pastor spoke briefly and prayed, and mentioned there were refreshments in the back room for people.

I got a chance to walk by the area tonight. The dark spot you're seeing on the Google street map is just patched concrete and there aren't any uncovered manholes.

I wanted to share my wife's account of the vigil Monday. She walked by beforehand while running errands with the boys, and said she saw Burris talking to reporters while PC was eating food from a bag. She said that some of the new memorial/vigil materials neighbors left early that morning had migrated in front of the church by the time she had walked by.

When she came back later, people were filtering in, and as the vigil time approached, people moved inside. The minister called things to order, and he acknowledges the complicated situation. He said a prayer and began speaking about Hasanni, the community, the search, the heavy-heartedness of it, and the comfort churches can bring those hurt or lost. He played the organ and a soloist led everyone in singing Amazing Grace. Everyone was prompted to get up and form a circle, passed out small candles, and lit them. There was a circle at the front, including JC, PC, TS, family, and others. The rest of the attendees (about 35 or so) stood in the pews for the prayer time. The press took pictures and video at the back of the church. Burris himself left before the service, she believes, after grandstanding with the press beforehand. She said JC signed the message board, and a few others did.

Prayers began, with deacons and elders from the church, the pastor and attendees calling out prayers. She said some had the undertone of JC and LR's perspective, and some had the undertone of the perspective of parental involvement. Some covered both ends (one she mentioned by a church deacon or elder said something like, "It can appear our prayers have gone unanswered...but we pray you bring him back to the community, able to be fully restored and rejoin us, or, if he's in your bosom right now...").

Basically, she said a lot was in the nuance. Some prayers that the police would be ethical, some prayers that people would not let their suspicions or rumors get in the way of searching and finding him, some prayers that if there are those who know where he is they would find conscience, some prayers to receive his soul, some prayers that covered all bases. She said it was easy to differentiate those with one agenda or another, but she was raised Catholic. She wondered if some of the more religious language would be lost on non-religious people (like "receiving his soul," "in your bosom," "reaching for stones" (with the implication of casting them), etc. (The area does have a lot of New Age or nonreligious people along with those who have some faith.) The last prayer was given by JC, and my wife couldn't totally make out what she was saying. She said it was on par with the same high pitched warbling, for about 20 seconds, and she abruptly stopped the prayer (my wife felt without really completing but she can't be sure since it was hard to understand).

She said then the pastor closed the prayer, and said there were announcements. Courtney Burris and t-shirt lady went to the front, and she said CB seemed like the orchestrater. She thanked everyone for coming, mentioning how the support was doubling each week at the vigils. My wife said they had the water bottle in the foyer to collect donations but it looked practically empty. CB mentioned the money all will go to a new bank account they're setting up, and reassured everyone all the money will go straight to the search so "there's no need for concern." (My wife said there were a lot of statements like that in general, acknowledging negative feelings without outright saying them or confronting them.)

T-shirt lady then mentioned the search will continue, and that Saturday is the next slated search. She said, "We'll be searching at..." and seemed lost, looking to CB for the next location and making some acknowledgement that she wasn't sure where it would be. CB said they will be searching at Lake Elizabeth, encouraging people to sign up for the volunteer list in the back with their e-mail and phone number to be contacted for the next event(s). She said CB is a very beautiful, put-together, articulate woman who seemed like she was the new coordinator of the small volunteer effort (which so far has seemed to be family, t-shirt group and a few friends perhaps). She said CB had a thinly veiled agenda and was conveying it in practically every sentence.

She said when CB finished, everyone sang "It Is Well With My Soul," after a church official explained the background of the song (written by a man who lost his family at sea apparently). Then she said the pastor spoke briefly and prayed, and mentioned there were refreshments in the back room for people.

I got a chance to walk by the area tonight. The dark spot you're seeing on the Google street map is just patched concrete and there aren't any uncovered manholes.

FF you are truly a gifted writer and we are fortunate that you (and Mrs. FF) googled and picked our group to be a part of. Thank You. You have an uncanny ability to make the rest of us almost feel as if we're there.
I would have snipped it for space, but I found myself unable to do so. You just can't snip a post like that without losing something valuable.
What stood out more to me than anything else were the numbers. Thirty-five people. That, at least, does my heart good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LostInMaine