Found Safe CA - Holly Jochum (Casner), 32, disappeared in camper driving to Joshua Tree, Big Bear, 27 Dec 2020

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I suspect that it's as I had proposed. She went somewhere on a whim. Given that she seems like a free spirit, I can imagine that to be the case. Because of snow, she was stuck. She probably was out of range for a cell phone. She likely waited at first and then determined that she needed to walk out to a main road.

Holly got stuck on Sunday night (12/27) she parked her van while there was no snow and within 24 hours she was stuck “snowed in” up on the mountain. She had food in her van and was well equipped to be the kind of person in this scenario at least for this amount of time. Still, terrifying nonetheless. Today (1/1), she realized it was going to be weeks til the snow melted enough for her to drive down so she walked down the mountain with her dogs (didn’t want to leave them behind) to find service. She knew her mom would be worried with no contact for this amount of time and she knew it would be much longer before the snow melted. Search and rescue spotted her and thankfully she is home now, safe, alive and unharmed!

These are the things that you don’t always think will worry people to this extent when you are a traveler and on the road so often like she is. You certainly can’t imagine that your being missing would launch something so massive - especially when you are alive. Think that hit her today that her situation wasn’t going to change and it had been far too long to not contact anyone (she was completely unable to) so she did what she had to do!

We are all so happy she is ok! She is beyond grateful that everyone put so much effort into this. These things don’t always end this way, they don’t always end with the person being alive and well. Thanking God that it did!
12-B8-A2-A7-9-A9-B-4579-9-D50-48-F65004-DFD1.jpg

So wonderful to hear the great news that Holly and her furbabes have been located and are safe and well. These are the kind of happy endings we all love to hear.

ADMIN NOTE:

Having said that, a reminder about making announcements based on social media rather than MSM or from LE or WS verified insiders.

So that everyone understands, there is a very valid reason we do not allow this type of social media information to be conveyed on Websleuths. Social media is sometimes simply flat out wrong! One example is a case just a few years ago where social media stated that child had been found alive when in actual fact they were deceased.

We'd rather be accurate than first and sometimes we just have to have patience and wait for official news. Veteran members know this and understand why we are so strict with our rules. In this instance the info was correct and no harm done.

Big Bear is in the mountains. We had a big storm come through a couple of days ago. Chains were required to go into the mountains. I am worried she went off the road. However, I am a little confused by "she could be anywhere from Yucaipa to Joshua Tree." Does that mean she'd already come down from Big Bear when she contacted her family and was leaving from Yucaipa, not Big Bear?

Good call dul!

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

As Holly has been located and this case is resolved, it is probably moot to expect any friends and/or family members to become verified after the fact. However, for any members who wish to continue to post inside information about Holly's case, please review our information about Verified Insiders found here.

As we all know, the internet is a crazy place where people can say anything without having to substantiate what they say. Consequently, Websleuths has this Verification policy in place to ensure that people are who they claim to be and to ensure, as best we can, the credibility of the information provided in the discussion. A Verified Insider does not have to provide links to substantiate what they state as fact (whereas regular members must link to information they state as fact).

Any questions, please private message a Mod or Admin and we will help clarify.

Thank you.

A STORY OF HOLLY JOCHUM
Trying to understand what happened

This is just my speculation. Absolutely no idea as to what happened. Just a theory. Hope this is a jumping off point for us to discuss/debate lost individuals and the decisions they make that results in their loss.

Let's start with what we know and our assumptions. Holly tries to get to Big Bear but the roads are closed. Last Known Position LKP near Big Bear. The red dot on the map below. New destination is Joshua Tree, the blue dot. She a free spirt, part-time van lifer, looking for a winter mountain adventure.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-4-32-42-PM.png

She's from Orange County and would most likely be taking the 330 to the 18. If she was turned around and was headed to Joshua Tree, she would likely take the 10 FWY. See the route in blue.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-4-29-09-PM.png

Originally looking for a mountain adventure, she most likely exited on the 243 and drove into the San Jacinto mountains. One of the first campsites are the Black Mountain campsites. Based on Flight Radar information, this is where RSO helicopters were focusing their search.
screenshot-20210101-141632.png

So her most likely actual route was the following.
Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-4-29-56-PM.png

It snowed heavily through the night and she woke up to find herself stuck. Black Mountain is pretty far away from Idyllwild and has poor reception.

I hope making these hindsight analyses give us insight into future incidents.

A STORY OF HOLLY JOCHUM
Trying to understand what happened

This is just my speculation. Absolutely no idea as to what happened. Just a theory. Hope this is a jumping off point for us to discuss/debate lost individuals and the decisions they make that results in their loss.

Let's start with what we know and our assumptions. Holly tries to get to Big Bear but the roads are closed. Last Known Position LKP near Big Bear. The red dot on the map below. New destination is Joshua Tree, the blue dot. She a free spirt, part-time van lifer, looking for a winter mountain adventure.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-4-32-42-PM.png

She's from Orange County and would most likely be taking the 330 to the 18. If she was turned around and was headed to Joshua Tree, she would likely take the 10 FWY. See the route in blue.

Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-4-29-09-PM.png

Originally looking for a mountain adventure, she most likely exited on the 243 and drove into the San Jacinto mountains. One of the first campsites are the Black Mountain campsites. Based on Flight Radar information, this is where RSO helicopters were focusing their search.
screenshot-20210101-141632.png

So her most likely actual route was the following.
Screen-Shot-2021-01-02-at-4-29-56-PM.png

It snowed heavily through the night and she woke up to find herself stuck. Black Mountain is pretty far away from Idyllwild and has poor reception.

I hope making these hindsight analyses give us insight into future incidents.
Why speculate when the story of what happened coming directly from holly was posted above?

Why speculate when the story of what happened coming directly from holly was posted above?

My hope is by analyzing the route she took and the decisions she made along the way that get her there, we'll have more incite into future incidents and a better idea of where to search. Plus, her story didn't include any locations. If they had said the route she took, I wouldn't have posted. It's my own post game analysis, similar to sports.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gypsy0147
Back