Identified! CA - Huntington Beach, WhtFem 40UFCA, 18-30, poss name Andrea, Apr'90 - Andrea Kuiper #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
CarlK I love what you do and follow from a distance as you guys are way over my head. I was wondering though once one of your people get their name back do you go back to your drawings and such and compare and see what you had right on and what might need work?
I think you did an amazing job. Thanks for all you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel like the major problem with the recon is she's not smiling in it. She's dead. In her photos she looks so full of life with her smile. MOO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't go into great detail because the way I learned this was a very sensitive matter but- when people die in sudden traumatic ways (like a car accident with a high impact injury) there is sometimes swelling of the tissues. Aside from the obvious problems that death by car strike might cause to someone's appearance, there is the internal issue of postmortem "bloated" appearance.

In other words I would not beat one's self up over the reconstruction illustrations maybe not being right-on.

(FWIW some meds for bipolar disorder can cause weight gain and puffiness too. There's no way to know if Andrea was on them right at the time she died.)

CarlK I love what you do and follow from a distance as you guys are way over my head. I was wondering though once one of your people get their name back do you go back to your drawings and such and compare and see what you had right on and what might need work?
I think you did an amazing job. Thanks for all you do.

Yes, I am always looking at the post-ID comparisons to see where I can Improve my work in future projects, and even possibly to revise past ones.

I remember that, it was a teenage girl and the wreck was on a toll road in OC. those pics were so bad.

CA used to release them. They stopped at some point after I started doing this. I've been here since 09.
There was a really bad car accident where a kid was driving his fathers Ferrari or some other hot, fast expensive sports car. He ended up crashing, I believe he was scalped or something. The photos ended up online. They then stopped releasing photos if I'm remembering right. I'm not fully awake.

I thought she would've been younger than 26.

I remember that, it was a teenage girl and the wreck was on a toll road in OC. those pics were so bad.
And they got into a forum that's essentially death *advertiser censored*...

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

I knew Andrea circa the time her photo was taken, the one used in the media the past couple days. The last time I saw her was in Fairfax, VA around 1980, give or take a year. I never saw her or heard anything about her past that time, until now. However, the sketches are next to impossible to accept as being Andrea in 1990. Even accounting for 10 years of aging and hard times, it appears to be a different person. I am NOT disputing the validity of identification as it's based on solid and proven methods, but I am struggling to reconcile the total change in appearance.

I had no idea Andrea was missing and never knew about the issues she was battling. It's heartbreaking to see the picture of her accompanying this tragically sad story. Count your blessings.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how shocking its been for you. Its very much appreciated what you shared about Andrea. Have you heard if her parents will hold a memorial for her?

Yes, it was a recent change. When I started doing this, LA County had PM photos for most of their UID cases on their website, regardless of how gruesome they were. I still have most of those pics saved.

Eventually, a state law was passed prohibiting authorities from publishing PM photos online. Many of the counties complied with the law, but some (e.g., San Bernardino) put them up for some cases anyway (e.g., Cherry Doe). Orange County has been complying with the law, with the exception of the 1968 Huntington Beach Jane Doe which they just released about a year ago.

Comparing the pm photo to her 11th grade school photo which is provided with the press release, I would not have recognized her. I probably would have recognized her if her freshman portrait had been posted, but not not her junior-year photo.

As I revised my reconstruction over the years since I first created it, I began to realize that her nose was broken in the pic and the pug nose was the result of her accident. I compensated for the pug nose. But I did not compensate enough.

But it is pretty clear that she had stopped taking care of her appearance. She no longer plucked her eyebrows, her hair was very dark and not blow dried, and she didn't wear make-up (unless it was washed off by the coroner).

Her PM photo compares much better to her Freshman portrait. As she matured into her late teens, her face lost the baby fat, but by the time of her death, she regained much of that pudginess in her face. But this photo compares much better to her PM photo, and to my reconstruction IMO. The eyes aren't perfect, but they very rarely are in postmortem facial reconstructions.

6939a8b5-d326-495a-8721-170e14fefb53.jpg
2b31040b-d2cc-466d-b9a1-50425cc6e446.jpg

I know you worked hard on Andrea's recon. You did a good job; she resembles the photo you found. I'd like to see an updated photo; closer in age to when she got hit. Hopefully they release one.

I know you worked hard on Andrea's recon. You did a good job; she resembles the photo you found. I'd like to see an updated photo; closer in age to when she got hit. Hopefully they release one.

Give her a smil, open her mouth and change her hairstyle and I think it is spot on! Good job Carl!

CarlK, I admire what you do and respect its sensitive nature. Your recon is spot on for the younger photo. Based on the info you had and the age estimate, you did excellent work. By far, yours have had some of the most likeness to the ones who have been identified.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine how shocking its been for you. Its very much appreciated what you shared about Andrea. Have you heard if her parents will hold a memorial for her?

We only lived about a mile apart but she didn't go to my school. I lived in Fairfax City, she lived in Fairfax County. She was an acquaintance through mutual friends. Always noticed her because I thought she was very cute, which is why I recognized her. At that age I was way too self conscious to attempt to strike up a real conversation with a pretty girl I barely knew.

Haven't lived in Fairfax since the 90's and haven't heard anything about a memorial, but there isn't any reason anyone would be trying to reach me about it. Probably been 36 years since I've even thought about her, I remembered her face but needed the news article to remind me what her name was.

There are quite a few potential female adoptees in the CA birth database from that day, but none with "famous" last names. I'm curious about the adoption angle.

Wow. High school acquaintance. Sounds like Many tried to find her over the years. Believe info in news is a bit off--she was not looking for real parents but an old boyfriend. Sweet girl but many have commented that this was out of character (e.g. Clothing, etc). Reportedly would not stay on meds. Mental illness was consuming a sweet soul. So very sad. RIP.

I just saw this on my opening page on the news and came back to see if you guys knew about it. Turns out she was an Andrea after all. Glad her identity has been restored and that they were able to do it through fingerprints.

When mental illness and drugs start to consume a person's life they often drop out of sight of their families. Many are not able to keep stable, productive lives as long as the illness and addiction are not treated and kept in check. Many lead a transient lifestyle due to this and gradually many families get used to their loved one popping in and out of their lives. You cannot force an adult to get help much of the time. She clearly had a family and clearly was loved.... it it also IMO, from the little info released, that they were resigned to her choices and lifestyle. It isn't uncommon at all sadly. They now have answers and closure at the very least and I wish them peace.

Her family did not write off - by any means. You should never assume something like that when you don't know the facts or the people involved.

Her family did not write off - by any means. You should never assume something like that when you don't know the facts or the people involved.

Excellent point Calhokie. Especially that long ago, law enforcement often would not take a report for an adult who left home willingly. And in the days before the internet, it would have been so much harder to look for someone without their help, especially someone on the opposite side of the country.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
539edtje
Back