Identified! CA - Huntington Beach, WhtFem 457UFCA, 25-30, in field, Mar'68 - Anita Louise Piteau

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
:doh: I just reread post 11 and LE has determined the purse found does NOT belong to the UID.

I am wondering though if they are having second thoughts about the purse not belonging to the UID. They are saying that Jane Doe is from New York or New Jersey, and now two comments on the CBS NY site (dated yesterday) both are certain that at least two of the photos are of people from NY/NJ. The TV newsclip postdates the Huntington Beach PD comment that the purse didn't belong to the decedent.

BTW, I just looked in Classmates for yearbooks from Evander Childs High School. They have the 1967 book, but it looks like they only have photos of the seniors. I couldn't find a photo of Allen Freilich. I found nine girls with names that are variations of the name "Rose" (e.g., Rosemary, Rose Marie, Roseanne, etc.). A couple of them look like they could be Jane Doe, but I suspect that Jane Doe was probably older than 19 or 20, which is what she would have been in 1968 if she was a senior in 1967.

I just noticed that there is writing on both of the high school pictures. I can't tell what the boy's picture says, but the girl's picture looks to me like it might say "Mary" or "Marie". I can't really tell though. The first letter definitely looks like an M.

According to the Huntington Police Dept's Facebook page, the writing on both photos says "Mom." That's odd since Jane herself was thought to be no older than 25, so she couldn't be the mother of two high-schoolers.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/hunti...ing-victim-jane-doe-from-1968/182749291754372

Additionally, the FB list of photo's indicates the HS photo of the male reads Mom, and is signed Love, Allen. Which matches up with the earlier MSM comment regarding AF of Evander Childs H.S. in the Bronx.

Perhaps LE has determined the mother of AF is alive and well? I'm now wondering how this purse ended up in CA when the owner was clearly from NY. Maybe AF's purse was stolen or ? Or maybe CarlK is right and LE is reconsidering having ruled out the purse belonged to the Jane Doe.

Not much in the way of new info, but a new article on this case...

http://thedailyreview.com/news/case-of-jane-doe-may-have-links-to-tioga-county-detectives-and-police-need-the-community-s-help-to-solve-43-year-old-cold-case-1.1097672

Case of 'Jane Doe' may have links to Tioga County; Detectives and police need the community's help to solve 43-year old cold case
By Wendy Post (TIMES-SHAMROCK WRITER)
Published: January 30, 2011

Created: 2011:01:13 08:15:05

On March 14, 1968, the body of a young woman was found sexually assaulted and then her throat slit in a field located in Huntington Beach, Calif. And since that time, according to Lieutenant Russell Reinhart of the Huntington Beach Police Department, the case has been opened and closed four times, with no leads to solve the case of the murdered woman - or even to discover her identity.

But in December of 2010, the detectives in California reopened the case of the murdered "Jane Doe", and are now asking residents in the Tioga County, N.Y. area for assistance in identifying who this young woman, found murdered over four decades ago, really is.

I don't really think that they are related. I think that cause of death wasn't really determined in the Griffith Park case.

According to the article that ctaylor provided the link to
When the woman was discovered, police immediately began the investigation, and were able to trace "Jane Doe" to a tavern where she served as a barmaid in Long Beach, Calif. Reinhart explained that although she didn't have many close friends, those who knew who her offered that she had not been in the area long (less than one year,) and that she was from New York and had a New York accent. Some of those who knew her also stated that she left a husband and a 2-year-old son behind.

Reinhart also mentioned that some knew her as Rosie, but that the name could have been an alias or a nickname.

I would like to know which bar this is. Maybe she was living in Long Beach and whoever murdered her dumped her body in Huntington Beach.

I don't really think that they are related. I think that cause of death wasn't really determined in the Griffith Park case.

According to the article that ctaylor provided the link to

I would like to know which bar this is. Maybe she was living in Long Beach and whoever murdered her dumped her body in Huntington Beach.

I read in an article awhile back that the bar has been closed for sometime and employment record are no longer available.

Wow. I have never heard of this case. It has been a little while since the police or news media has reported anything new. It all sounded like was getting closer to being solved.

I grew or in the Huntington and have lived here since the early 1970's. As another poster stated things have really changed around here. I remember playing in fields as a child that are now very expensive housing tracks.
A previous poster mentioned unsavory characters around at the time. Even today the down town area of HB attracts unsavory people.
A young woman was found strangled in the alley behind my house in 1999 when I lived on 8th Street. No relation to this story but I'm just saying that HB still and probably always has attracted a lot of strange characters.
to me it sounds like the people associated with crime were just passing through.

I may have missed it and I'm not to sure how far away the purse was found but it is possible that the purse was in posession of the killer. It could still hold clues. Possibly the killer stole it from another women or maybe the purse belonged to an accomplice?

I would I hope they didn't all together rule out the purse as evidence. In my opinion the first picture of the girl looks somewhat like the Jane Doe (herself,sister, cousin?)
Am I the only one who sees that?

Or I wonder if they did find out who those people were and they asked to have the pictures pulled because they didn't want to be associated with the crime.

I'd love to see if there has been any new progress in this case since January.

I really think she may have been a victim of Rodney Alcala...

http://articles.latimes.com/2011/jan/28/local/la-me-alcala-20110128

That could be a possibility. We know he made his way through Huntington Beach at least one other time when he murdered 12-year-old Robin Samsoe.

One thing that is discouraging at least to me... is that this particular Jane Doe doesn't really fit the physical type of all of his photographs of the young girls and other victims of Alcala. He certainly had a type.

Though I could be wrong he was definitely in the LA area in in 1968 (at least part of that year before he went back to NY). It's Less than an hour drive between HB and LA.

Does anyone think it would be appropriate to ask Huntington Beach PD if they have solved the case or have any updates???

They had a press release back in January saying they had a possible lead in solving the case but there have not been any updates that I can find since then. It also appears they have removed her info from their FB page.

This case is still showing as active in both DoeNet and NamUs.

I didn't see the NamUs case file, which was most recently updated in May of this year, so adding it here.

https://identifyus.org/cases/7694

What do you think of this for a possible match?

Both have brown eyes and dark hair.
Around the same height.

Lets try that again! Sorry! A link would definitely help!

https://www.findthemissing.org/cases/12580/1/
Jane Doe

Someone thought Jane Doe's name might have been Rosie, but I thought this might be worth a shot. This MIP was just recently listed.

This MIP was AKA "Jopie"
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/2535dfnet.html

The thing that makes me doubt this is Johanna DeHaas is that the UID is believed to have been from New York, and spoke with a heavy New York accent. I doubt very many people would mistake a Dutch accent with a New York accent.

The thing that makes me doubt this is Johanna DeHaas is that the UID is believed to have been from New York, and spoke with a heavy New York accent. I doubt very many people would mistake a Dutch accent with a New York accent.

I just didn't think any of that had been confirmed yet since they still don't know who she is.

Also, if she had lived in NY for several years do you think she may have picked up the accent from there?
I know I am from NY and lived down south for less than an year and I picked up the accent in that short amount of time.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back